The transfer portal is like covid, every school catches the transfer portal bug

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the transfer portal...let these kids have the freedoms they want. Schools are not paying them. Some of these when school is out they go home to horrible house holds. If I'm not mistaken they can't work. These kids are pimped by their parents (some), coaches, and the schools. There is no collective bargaining for college athletes.
For real????

I don’t mind the portal but when you have 4 of the 5 first team all swac player in the portal makes you wonder why leave? Also APR has ravaged our schools so we need to try and retain as many player as possible.

Until those NCAA rules change as far as making money off their likeness, they can't work (now we know you can pay cash but as far as working for a paycheck with taxes being taken out, no)
Well. I be damned!!!!

oh man facepalm GIF by LA Clippers

that’s what got Rhett Bomar and another player out of Oklahoma. boosters gave them a no-show job at a car dealership

The sad part is some of these athletes really do need a job. What happens when school is out and they are at home. Some of the schools shut down completely and some of these athletes go back to a poverty, violent, and depressed environment. Not just athletes but students. I strongly believe that university dorms should be open year around for students along with dining facilities.

The sad part is some of these athletes really do need a job. What happens when school is out and they are at home. Some of the schools shut down completely and some of these athletes go back to a poverty, violent, and depressed environment. Not just athletes but students. I strongly believe that university dorms should be open year around for students along with dining facilities.

i agree. Student hunger and food insecurity as a barrier to academic performance is talked about, but not to the point where it’s on everyone’s mind.

I have thought this should be the case for a long time. We know a lot of times some students go home and never come back because of HAVING to work back home to help out the family

This year would be the perfect time to do so with so many places struggling to fill jobs due to the pandemic. If I had my say, I would start a summer job program at FedEx in Olive Branch and Memphis letting the students work up there for the summer since they are always hiring. A guaranteed 20-25 hours a week with a guaranteed ride to and from work would be a god send to many

I can relate to what you are saying, after reagan made some changes to grants and other assistance my co-op job at IBM that made me $7,000 for the year caused me to lose all my financial assistance so after I paid tuition my money was GONE, luckily tuition was $12 a credit hour back then. I had to coach surf where I could and sneak into alumni hall and borrow my frat brothers plates wipe it with a napkin and pretend to get seconds so I could eat regularly, then I went to different people's place to share their books to study while they were studying to make it. I had no plans to go back to Kansas City so I had to make it work at PV, you never know what students are going through.

A guaranteed 20-25 hours a week with a guaranteed ride to and from work would be a god send to many

Some companies do this. I remember Six Flags would pick up kids at Red Bird Mall and take them to Six Flags to work. And bought they back at MAYBE around 6 or 7 PM.

Now I think some campuses can't let kids stay for the summer because they might have kids doing summer classes living there.

Now if you got a kid who it's in their BEST interest to NOT go home-couldn't something be worked out?

I mean Paul Quinn College is RIGHT down the street from Amazon's warehouse (in fact about 4-5 companies have warehouse that ship near there). Now where would those kids stay if they couldn't live on campus? Aside from cheap sleazy motels what else is there?

I did quite a bit of working while in college. I worked in the cafeteria, dormitories (even stayed on campus and made that money when school was on a break), summer youth programs while in summer school, Dept of Labor, and even sat out a semester and worked at a plant. In my senior year, I had two co-ops (The Department of Revenue and S.U. Purchasing Dept.). I definitely had to delegate my time wisely but kept money in my pocket.

The reason is some boosters can give a student athlete a job and the kid never steps foot in to office. They use this as an incentive....
Do this no-job rule apply only to football players? Or, does it apply to all athletes on scholarships?

Some companies do this. I remember Six Flags would pick up kids at Red Bird Mall and take them to Six Flags to work. And bought they back at MAYBE around 6 or 7 PM.

Now I think some campuses can't let kids stay for the summer because they might have kids doing summer classes living there.

Now if you got a kid who it's in their BEST interest to NOT go home-couldn't something be worked out?

I mean Paul Quinn College is RIGHT down the street from Amazon's warehouse (in fact about 4-5 companies have warehouse that ship near there). Now where would those kids stay if they couldn't live on campus? Aside from cheap sleazy motels what else is there?

I know FedEx does it because I've worked up there before. They used to pick up in two locations here in the Delta but now it is just one (for Memphis and Olive Branch). People who stay in Greenwood that have worked up there have to drive to Indianola (about 30 minutes) to catch the bus.

I'm sure with FedEx having a facility on Valley's campus that they would have no problem setting up a summer job program like that especially with them desperately needing workers with the pandemic still going on.

As far as the dorms are concerned, during summer school at Valley, only half of the dorms are being used so there is plenty of room. When that military plane crashed here in the Delta in 2017, they stayed in the dorms at Valley for over a month as they were investigating the crash site

As someone said in the replies, some D2 and D3 schools are gonna be able to build some monster squads with all the talent in the portal

Coach Hunter has every opportunity in the world to plug the holes as far as needs (another 6'6-6'8 stretch forward who can hit the 3 and grab 5-6 boards a game and a 10 points/8 boards a game big body as far as starters is concerned) with all of the talent in the portal. One thing he can promise them that others in the low-mid major area can't is playing time lol (we know his son is starting so we know that leaves at least 2 open starting spots).

As someone said, in musical chairs, there will always be someone who gets left without a seat. In this case, I will say 500+

I remember back in the day a UH player came to pay his car note where I was buying a used car. This player was THE star on the team at that time and he was driving a brand new 280Z. He made his payment AT THE USED CAR DEALERSHIP in cash...$300.00 in three $100.00 dollar bills. He had no real job.

I remember back in the day a UH player came to pay his car note where I was buying a used car. This player was THE star on the team at that time and he was driving a brand new 280Z. He made his payment AT THE USED CAR DEALERSHIP in cash...$300.00 in three $100.00 dollar bills. He had no real job.

I spoke with a player who was in the portal father , He said it was 1175 in the portal for basketball as of Wed 3/31. That's a lot of kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back