The SWAC Mandate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Alcorn Warrior
I hope you don't think that you're going to get an answer from Dr. Bristow himself.

So he will talk to you but not respond to his e-mail. hmmm President Mason responds to e-mail.

Originally posted by Tigerpride
...as I said, you can tell who know things and who don't. Some people on here really don't "have a clue". (no pun intended since this is the sports board...LOL) :emlaugh:

Kinda like your coach huh? (no pun intended) I'll repeat and maybe this time you'll pay attention in class instead of playing with our hotwheels.....

Originally posted by bluedog
This topic has been talk about over a gazillon times and if none of you don't know the answer to the question you keep repeatedly posing then God help America.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Well, if it is the Big Three that causes this then I know which one is not involved becasue my coach and AD are against this.

Some of us really don't think before we type.Dang bruh why don't you try repeating that to yourself a few times.

Gesh!!!:rolleyes:

So he will talk to you but not respond to his e-mail. hmmm President Mason responds to e-mail.

You'll get a response in the email but it more than likely won't be something he wrote himself. It'll more than likely be his secretary that e-mails you back. Bristow is always on the move. You'll do better catching him on campus and talking to him directly.

Originally posted by Get Ready
I hope that someone from the SWAC office reads this thread because Get Ready is about to tell the SWAC office how he really feels about this idiocy that is going on over in Bham.

There is a conspiracy here. To have a NINE game mandate...not EIGHT but NINE game mandate smells real fishy to me. We have to be the only conference that handcuffs its members so they cant play at least 3 non conference games. Why would you have a NINE game mandate and only have SEVEN of them count? This stinks to high heaven and one day the truth about the real reason why this mess is happening will surface....just like the truth about the REAL reason why the SWAC went to the SCG format came to light.....right Mr. Washington?

There are only two schools in the SWAC that are ready and WILLING to put it on the line and compete and the highest level of IAA football. The rest of the SWAC is full of lazy nizzas that are just wallowing in the mud of this mandate like pigs:

?What, you mean I dont have to make my own money??
?I dont have to try to be competitive on the IAA level??
?All I have to do is just be SWAC??
?You mean I dont have to show ANY ambition??

Some things need to be repeated.

So let me get this straight:
We have virtually eliminated ourselves from playoff contention by setting up an SCG game with all of 5K people attending. ....BRILLIANT
And now we have virtually cut ourselves off from the rest of IAA by limiting the number of games progressive competitive schools can play outside the conference.....BRILLIANT

At the same time, WE want to be recognized as one of the best conferences in IAA. There I go getting ahead of myself....the schools in the conference dont want to be the best in IAA, they are happy with being the best in the SWAC...in some cases we are happy with being second best in the SWAC.

Again some things need to be repeated.

Vowels has now made sure that the SWAC will be a second class conference with this crap. But then again what do you expect from a guy that cant even arrange a decent Media Day? Do you think its possible that Vowels will apply for the FAMU job?

:lmao:

Scary that I'm agreeing with Grams and Jacksons on this....

Of course, I've been agreeing with GR and TP a lot lately....much to the chagrin of many others....lol

Originally posted by PNeck019
Scary that I'm agreeing with Grams and Jacksons on this....

Of course, I've been agreeing with GR and TP a lot lately....much to the chagrin of many others....lol
You'll get accused of having an agenda in a minute. But at least they don't attack you or your school when you voice your dislike for the crap.

I want a leader who will protect us from ourselves. When we propose stupid isht, our leader should show us the error of our ways.

I blame Jackson and Southern for this mandate as much as I blame the sisters of the poor (TSU, PVU, MSVS, & Pine Bluff).

Jackson and Southern played every year when it wasn't mandated by the conference. If i'm correct, Jackson also played Gramblimg when it was not mandated. This was the birth of the mandate.

The other problem was everybody wanted to play Southern for the gate. I know both TSU and SU are in the west, but TSU's administration did nothing to market our football program other than the Labor Day Classic. When it came time to play Southern our administration jacked up the ticket prices because they knew the SU folks were coming to support their team and TSU's administration made out like a fat rat. How many other schools in the SWAC have the same mentality as TSU? Do nothing to improve your own program just sit back and wait for the money games.

The biggest problem in the SWAC is, so many of our schools are not in the athletic business. Most of our schools field athletic teams and have no intention on building a winning program. Texas Southern University is not the only school in the SWAC with this mentality.

Originally posted by Robber
You'll get accused of having an agenda in a minute. But at least they don't attack you or your school when you voice your dislike for the crap.

I want a leader who will protect us from ourselves. When we propose stupid isht, our leader should show us the error of our ways.

No one's actually come out and said it, but I believe some people think I have some sinister motives here. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I think people get too defensive and take the "support the family" stuff a little too far.

I love and support my brother, son, etc., but if they do stupid schitt, I call them on it.

Yes, yes, the coaches, presidents, ADs, etc. wanted this. That doesn't mean everybody has to fall in line and say, "Well, they wanted it, I guess it's best." My son wants to eat candy bars for supper, but that doesn't mean I let his arse do it.....

No one's actually come out and said it, but I believe some people think I have some sinister motives here. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I think people get too defensive and take the "support the family" stuff a little too far.

I love and support my brother, son, etc., but if they do stupid schitt, I call them on it.

Yes, yes, the coaches, presidents, ADs, etc. wanted this. That doesn't mean everybody has to fall in line and say, "Well, they wanted it, I guess it's best." My son wants to eat candy bars for supper, but that doesn't mean I let his arse do it.....
Exactly!!! And then they act like you can't express your opinion on a board designed for you to express your opinion.

Originally posted by Texas Southern Fan
I blame Jackson and Southern for this mandate as much as I blame the sisters of the poor (TSU, PVU, MSVS, & Pine Bluff).

Jackson and Southern played every year when it wasn't mandated by the conference. If i'm correct, Jackson also played Gramblimg when it was not mandated. This was the birth of the mandate.
Don't blame us for looking out for our own economic best interests. JSU played SU, Gram and UAPB when we didn't have to. With PB, it was more about money we didn't have to spend, as opposed to money we would make. Proximity mattered, too.

Don't blame us for looking out for our own economic best interests. JSU played SU, Gram and UAPB when we didn't have to. With PB, it was more about money we didn't have to spend, as opposed to money we would make. Proximity mattered, too.

And there you have it.

AAMU "don't blame us for looking out for our own ecoonomic best interests".
ASU "don't blame us for looking out for our own economic best interests".
MVSU "don't blame us for looking out for our own economic best interests".
I'm sure you get the point. Ten schools agree to look out for their own economic best interests. But surley we must blame someone.:bawling:

Naw, Plow. The security of the conference is in the conference schedule. The other games (out of conference) you're on your own. Don't depend on me to help carry your out of conference load. If you can't hack it, that's on you. Nobody else's fault.

Robber you missed the point. The mandate is about inconference games. Because playing SU and Gram were in your best economic interest, so the other nine thought so as well. Everyone wants to hit the jackpot but no one wants to pay. As far as nonconference game we are all on our own. Oh BTW I do not agree with the mandate.

The best thing IMO would be something similar to what the SEC has, with 1 or 2 permanent opponents from the other side. That way JSU and SU could play every year because it's a rivalry. If PV doesn't get to play JSU or Valley doesn't get to play SU every year, so be it.

Y'all feel free to chime in (like I had to say that), but here is how I would line it up:

1 permanent opponent
SU-JSU
GSU-ALC
PB-Valley
TSU-Bama St
PV-AAMU

Then you take the other 4 and go 2 at a time for 2 years and then switch. 7 conference games and they all count.

You could flip flop the two Bamas because there is no discernable rivalry either way there. I just did it that way because TSU/AAMU would be too much damm maroon...lol

Sucks for AAMU to have the PV gate, but they also get as much of a guaranteed conference win as you can get.

2 permanent opponents
SU-JSU/ALC
GSU-JSU/ALC
PB-Valley/AAMU
TSU-Bama St/AAMU
PV-Bama St/Valley

Then you take the other 3 and play them 1 at a time for 2 years.

Sucks for JSU and ALC to have to play GSU and SU every year, but they get the gates.

I prefer the one permanent opponent. That way every player gets to play home and away against every team at least once in his career and the fans don't have to wait 6 years for a certain team to come to town.

Lest it be said that I only pick on the SWAC's stupid scheduling, I noticed UL-Laugh came out with their 04 schedule yesterday (props to them for getting it done though). Once again, the Sun Belch is allowing its schools not to play everyone and count a non-conference game as a conference game. At least it's only one this year. Last year UL-Laugh counted a I-AA opponent as one of theirs.

The reason for this is UL-Laugh doesn't play Utah State. Utah State is the definition of conference shopping. They get the Sun Belch to bend over backwards to accomodate them and they jump ship in 05. If I was the Sun Belch, I'd have said fugg em, but that lame arse conference needs all the members they can get, even if they're being used for a couple of years.....

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I don't agree with playing any teams that are not on rotation. Besides, it is not fair to the sisters of the poor to allow JSU-SU and Alcorn-GSU to choose each other (which we would) and then make the Tx and Bama schools choose each other. JSU can live without Southern and vice versa for two years. We need a 4+3 and leave it at that. If we don't have strict guidelines, we start getting "creative".

Also, this was the FIRST year that Southern rolled off of our rotation of games that count.

I do too. I sure do.

I don't agree with playing any teams that are not on rotation. Besides, it is not fair to the sisters of the poor to allow JSU-SU and Alcorn-GSU to choose each other (which we would) and then make the Tx and Bama schools choose each other. JSU can live without Southern and vice versa for two years. We need a 4+3 and leave it at that. If we don't have strict guidelines, we start getting "creative".

Also, this was the FIRST year that Southern rolled off of our rotation of games that count.

I could see that as well. It would certainly be better than the current mess. I can't believe AAMU is not complaining more about being screwed out of the SCG by that dumarse system last year.

I think I saw this on espn.com. They had the SWAC standings listed and they counted all games and had AAMU on top. Unless you're in the league, it's tough to know which games count and which don't.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/standings?groupId=81

I could see that as well. It would certainly be better than the current mess. I can't believe AAMU is not complaining more about being screwed out of the SCG by that dumarse system last year.

I think I saw this on espn.com. They had the SWAC standings listed and they counted all games and had AAMU on top

whats the use in complaining when you know the rules going in. And based on those rules, A&M was not "screwed out of the SCG"

btw, this past year wasn't the first time that espn had different standings than what the SWAC recognized.

also, I agree with TP (a first) about those permanent oponents. It wouldn't be fair to all schools, "schedule" wise or "attendance" wise

All this talking is NOT getting us anywhere. As much as I hate to say it, the only way to get the attention of the presidents, AD's, and coaches who went along with this is ..........TO NOT GO TO THE GAMES!

All they are thinking about is money. I understand trying to make sure all of the schools are making something, but not at the expense of other schools in your conference. I'm just going to use Southern as an example because I know their attendance from last year .....

First, our home attendance (which cuts out the NC A&T game) dropped because of our out-of-conference schedule and our administration has acted on this for this season in part because of the mandate. (dropping Lincoln ..... thank you Lord!) Because they can't schedule that third OOC game. That would be a help except for the fact that they are bringing back Allen and the other one they don't know about yet. Everything else is done. Lincoln and allen got SU about 22,000 in attendance .... COMBINED.

Now, I blame SU for that, but with the stuff happening at FAMU lately, imagine if SU would have brought them in last year and maybe a TnSU. That's a given extra 22,000 fans in Mumford. With this mandate, we will never know.

Now imagine being able to schedule FOUR OOC games and seven conference games this year. FAMU is scurring back to 1-AA, Norfolk State is looking for opponents, you coulda kept Allen there since you signed a dumb contract with them and maybe took on a PWC 1-AA school like Southeastern, Northwestern, McNeese. As much as I hate to say it, at SU, Mumford would look a lot better with , Norfolk, McNeese or Northwestern in it than MVSU. Hell, I could deal w/out J-State or Alcorn for two years.

The bottom line is if we want them to notice what we are saying, we can't kept plopping down twenties for tickets. That's the only way they will listen.

Get Ready,

The first thing I said (and it was directed to YOU) was I dont want to hear this crap about laying the blame on the right person.

You DONT like the mandate. Do you think that Vowels could cancel or suspend that mandate tomorrow?

You forgot to give us IGNORANT folk a reason why this is good.

No, he can not cancel the mandate. Really, I know you will chose not to believe this. But to each his own. Conferences do not work in that format. Remember the conference comissioner works for the conference presidents. He only suggest ideas or carries out request given to him by the conference presidents. I am not sure what he personal thoughts are on this issues. Whether he support it or whether he is just a company man carry out the company line.

Again if you are so serious about this issue. The gentlemen you need to be irrate with are your schools football coach and more importantly your institutions president. Now, if the truth is your president will not give you the time of day and will not listen to you, then I can understand your frustration and the realistic stance that you feel you have no other course of action arather talk about the lack of leadership you have at Jackson State University in terms of athletics you rather look else work and find fault outside of that circle.

Texas Southern Fan,

The Big Three. Yes sir!! Push this right on through. No, other institution except maybe AA&MU now but they are still relatively new to the power heirachy, has that type of clout to put this on the table and seriously push it on through.

Robber,

Don't blame us for looking out for our own economic best interests. [r]JSU played SU, Gram and UAPB when we didn't have to.[/r] With PB, it was more about money we didn't have to spend, as opposed to money we would make. Proximity mattered, too.

Comical!! LOL!! You want your cake and want to eat it too. Really think about it for just a minute.

Plow Dog,

And there you have it.

AAMU "don't blame us for looking out for our own ecoonomic best interests".
ASU "don't blame us for looking out for our own economic best interests".
MVSU "don't blame us for looking out for our own economic best interests".
I'm sure you get the point. Ten schools agree to look out for their own economic best interests. But surley we must blame someone.

Exactly!!

Hughes, Richardson and Williams...now you all can take that and spend it however you see fit.

Yeah I said it!!

Ok, and what does that prove?? Nothing.

This still all lies on Vowels. He may work for the Presidents but he was hired to do a job based on his professional expertise. His professional opinion should have at least been expressed and if they had ANY respect for him and his agenda, they would listen. At least Rudy came in and pushed his agenda. Vowels seems to be a puppet.

Also, coaches should not even have a say in this. I am sure that Hughes would want this...it was that type of thinking that got him fired. Everything about him was about getting by. Pete publically complained about playing NWState and McNeese and Doug has said that he only wants to play HBCU's. This is not a coaching issue. At the very least, this should be an AD problem if they are having a hard time completing schedules or if they are losing money.

I wish I could go to my boss and ask to do what I wanted to and he okays it. Give me a break. Maybe I could get every Friday off. :rolleyes:

..and Bluedog, stop acting you knew anything before Jafus typed it. I guess you were scared to say it huh??? I also guess that you are proud of Petey the coward. Your AD is certainly not a coward because he was putting together nice schedules until Pete started crying in the newpaper.

Originally posted by bluedog
Hughes, Richardson and Williams...now you all can take that and spend it however you see fit.

LMAO!!! That's what I figured.

Damn you, Robert Hughes!!!
:lmao: :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back