The signs of a Desperate program

MikeBigg

RBs Williams, Perkins join Southern
By JOE SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate sportswriter

Two former major recruits will be involved in Southern's running back competition. Antoneyo Williams, Alabama's Mr. Football in 1996 and a redshirt at the University of Alabama in 1997, began practice Monday afternoon. And Cisco Perkins, a 1997 LSU signee who pled guilty to drug possession in 1999, is expected to join the team either later this week or earlier next week.

The boy from Alabama must really have some "issues" or is just plain finished. Somethings wrong when Coop and/or LC wouldn't bring him on board. Perkins was out of football (cut by LSU) prior to his arrest for having cocaine on his former high school campus

SU lost its top three rushers from last year and is trying to find a No. 1 tailback during preseason camp. Junior Jeremy Williams, who has only had 10 carries in his career, is currently No. 1. "They're so far behind that I can't count on those individuals," Richardson said. "At best, you're talking about later on."

Is this what has happened since Kaiss left? Why can't Pete recruit good talent? Either he can't evaluate talent and recruit it, or he has to let Orlando decide who should be playing...ask Levy about that one!

Because both enrolled at universities in 1997, this is their fifth and final season of eligibility. Williams, who spent the fall semester at Alabama as a redshirt before leaving the school, came to SU in the spring after going to East Central Mississippi Community College. "I sat out a year and I came down here," Williams said. "Everything worked out. I got my grades together, and I'm just moving forward now."

In other words, Alabama with all it's problems and shortage of players didn't have run for this "has been".

Perkins, who had worked out during the summer at SU, is finalizing his paperwork to enroll in school. He'll also need to pass a physical before being cleared to play. Perkins redshirted in 1997 and did not record any statistics in 1998. He was no longer in school at time of his arrest in February 1999. Perkins has not carried a football in a game since he ran for 2,300 yards and 29 touchdowns while leading Logansport High to the Class 1A title. The Class 1A offensive most valuable player in 1995, Perkins was ineligible as a senior after transferring to Evangel Christian Academy in Shreveport.

Hasn't rushed in a game since 1995. Is Pete this desperate for players? Is it going downhill this fast...read on it get's worser

In October 1999, Perkins, who pled guilty to possession of cocaine on Logansport High property, was sentenced to 30 months in jail and fined $2,500.

Cocaine possession!!! Whoa, what's the deal here...I'm all about giving second chances, but sheesh. I guess this is what happens when you're falling behind in the recruiting wars

Are you trying to say these kids don't deserve a second chance? No one on Gram team has a checkered past? Sound like a repugant and the three strike you out mess. Lock them up and throw away the keys. I'm sure Pete and the coaching staff evaluated their situation throughly and decided they deserve a chance to prove themselve. As far as desperate, read again. Neither one of them are expected to start.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
C'mon BG you know Pete ain't doing this as a public service or a part of some RECLAMATION project. He needs bodies, and specifically he needs running backs. We are not talking about 19 year old sophomore here. These cats are at least 22-23 years old. There are arena league football teams all over Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama that they could have signed up with.

Don't hand me the stuff about these kids wanting to get an education. They are playing football to be playing football. Yeah I'm sure Pete did check them out...saw that they were better than what he had on hand (his recruits) and decided to bring them aboard. The Williams kid, I can kinda see (no criminal record or anything)! However, Perkins is another story. This is a convicted felon (cocaine possession) on high school property.
Too much of a risk...but maybe he was "recruited" by someone for reasons other than football.

Well MB it sounds like you're desperate to try and knock the Jaguars down, but you know what. It'll all be settled come BC time.

Mike Bigg, it wasn't that long ago when Doug publicly made an offer to Cecil Collins, after he was booted out of LSU for being a raping pervert.

How soon we forget.......

NICE

:confused:
That's funny....I thought being "desperate" was saying "We're going to kick your ssa the next time" seven years in a row.

Erobinson.jpg

"I can't stop cry'n"

_ _ _!

Originally posted by D-NICE
Mike Bigg, it wasn't that long ago when Doug publicly made an offer to Cecil Collins, after he was booted out of LSU for being a raping pervert.

NICE

Acknowledging that a player is good, and bringing him aboard Greatness are two different things. Pete's half @$$ recruiting skills is the issue.

Other thing. These players that Pete is recruiting are 23 and 24 years old. Collins was only 19 and could actually play.

Originally posted by SAME OLD G
Other thing. These players that Pete is recruiting are 23 and 24 years old. Collins was only 19 and could actually play.

So what would doug recruit Jeffrey Dalmer if he was good at picking off QB's. Come on people think before you type.:emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh:

How old was that white QB? And could he play?:D :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh:

Originally posted by D-NICE

NICE

Let's look at the facts:

1. Cecil Collins was kicked off LSU's team prior to any conviction
Cisco Perkins is a convicted felon.

2. Cecil Collins (as sick as he was) was merely going back to get
something that was given to him (vanilla pudding) during his
recruitment

3. Pete was "considering" allowing Cecil to transfer until he got
a call from Dinardo saying it "wouldn't be a good idea"!

4. Doug said Cecil would be welcome to enroll at GSU, the same
as any student would be welcome to enroll. If he met
admission requirements, he could then "try out" for the team

5. The point of the matter is that Pete is desperate for players.
Anyone in the country would have taken Cecil Collins
(the Miami Dolphins ultimately did just that). Hell, even the
Arena leagues wouldn't take these chumps!

Bottom line: Yall SUCKS...WELL!

Originally posted by BgJag

I guess you are talking about Kornblau. Well, Doug didn't recruit him. However, when Doug took over Kornblau was the 1st to go.

It figures

MikeBigg coming with his excuses and reasoning.

SOG avoiding the question.

Typical gram logic, you would have though I asked about balancing and auditing the financial records. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Re: It figures

SOG avoiding the question.

WTF????:confused:

I answered the question. I don't know how old he was, but the question was moot because Doug didn't recruit him.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

You say him and you have to ask that question? Of course you are simply being rhethorical. But actually you prove my point.

With respect to Coach Rob, the playing of Kornblau was indicative of how much the recruiting had slipped at GSU. Coach Rob made the mistake of having assistant coaches who simply could not recruit. When he was going out and evaluating talent and holding coaches accountable for the players that were brought in we were a powerhouse for DECADES.

Pete's mistake is allowing Orlando to have too much influence on personel matters and now it's starting to haunt the program. Because of Pete's devotion to Orlando, things are starting to unravel. Don't try to "bs" me like yall not concerned about it becuz I live here and I hear from people close to the program...real close.

1. Orlando and Johnny Cole had differences...Cole got fired!

2. Orlando and Kaiss had differences...Kaiss got fired!

3. Orlando "couldn't" work with Randall as GradAsst/QB coach
Pete reneged on verbal promise to hire Randall.

4. Orlando brought in Jacoby...Hayes got benched

5. Orlando was 'sold' on Williams...Levy sat and waited!

6. Orlando reluctant to sign QB Marcus Randall (Eric's brother)
Randall signed with LSU (#2 on depth chart)

7. Orlando has "coldest ice in town"

Re: Re: It figures

WTF????:confused:

I answered the question. I don't know how old he was, but the question was moot because Doug didn't recruit him.

Let me see if I understand your logic, since your legendry, hall of fame coach recruited him to play at greatmess the traditionist school of all BCF, it is moot.

Since the same coach lost to Southern 5 str8 years but your present one only 3 str8 are the 5 beatdown moot since DOUGGIE wasn't the coach responsible??:rolleyes:

<marquee>[size=4.5]PETE RICHARDSON..."FIGURE"HEAD COACH; MARK ORLANDO..."#1 SHOT CALLER"</marquee>[/size]

I been trying to tell yall for the longest that Pete couldnt recruit his own son....

It was over when Singeltary left.

But to the Jags.....from a truly objective point of view, this is sad, lower than sad. Please dont let your program stoop to this, it aint worth it.

Im beggining to rethink my West pick if its this bad. That dude hasnt played since Kool Moe Dee was hot....

How you like me now

Originally posted by Get Ready
I been trying to tell yall for the longest that Pete couldnt recruit his own son....

It was over when Singeltary left.

But to the Jags.....from a truly objective point of view, this is sad, lower than sad. Please dont let your program stoop to this, it aint worth it.

Im beggining to rethink my West pick if its this bad. That dude hasnt played since Kool Moe Dee was hot....

How you like me now

I feel ya man...it's been a looonnng time for these dudes. Do you realize that they haven't played since JSucks won a SWAC championship?!?:emlaugh: :emlaugh:

So, if Showtime( just to use a name) or Superman (again, just an example) were in the same situation, y'all would not have them at your schools, starting no less, huh?

Knee-grows please! Y'all know just like we do that the number one objective of Pete, Doug, Hughes, Latraia, Dorsey, Coo ... (well, I'm not sure about him. They just wanna be .500) ... is to WIN football games. Hell, if Williams and Perkins can help Southern win another SWAC Title AND STAY OUT OF TROUBLE, I'm all for it.

Got Dayum Holier-Than-Thou Haters!

Dude, you got me all wrong. The last thing I am is holier than thou. But this does show a sign of deparation and poor recruiting by Pete. You have to admit that.

All he has to work with is two felons? I could even understand if they were 19 or 20. These dudes are old enough to have children junior high school. And to top it off, they are convited felons dude. Do you think its OK to run the risk of destroying your whole program for a couple of players.

I guess if you can justify uuuuh the band fight, there is no arguing with you about this one.

Originally posted by MikeBigg

3. Orlando "couldn't" work with Randall as GradAsst/QB coach
Pete reneged on verbal promise to hire Randall.

6. Orlando reluctant to sign QB Marcus Randall (Eric's brother)
Randall signed with LSU (#2 on depth chart)

These two statements are absolutely not true. Eric never sought or considered a position on the Coach Rich's staff. Immediately after graduation he began working at a middle school and 4 months later appointed HEAD COACH at Southern University High School. It was in fact the job promised him and for which he was groomed for and for which he desired.

Marcus was nearly forced by his high school coach to play at the QB position. Even in the pee wee league he never played QB because he lived in such a large shadow cast by his brother. He played defense until the 11th grade and then agreed to be Glen Oaks' QB. We all knew he had the arm, the speed and the intellect to be a great QB, but we never pushed him because of the emtional issue he faced. But oh did we rejoice we he played and played well. And every article, every TV interview every mention of his name was with THE COMMAS--Marcus Randall, whose brother Eric Randall played QB for Glen Oaks and lead the team to......,". Marcus is much loved by his brother who assumed the position of his psychological father when their father died in 1991. He did not pressure Marcus on his selection of schools, especially when Southern came calling. He did not expect Marcus to follow in ALL his footsteps. Marcus chose LSU for a lot of reasons, chief among them was so that his mom could see him play often and so that the Randall Crew, re-formed and re-dressed, could hit the road again like we did so many times to every SU game from 1992-1995. You cannot imagine how proud we all were Saturday at fan day to see our boy #2 on the depth chart and making a mark on his own.

Sure, the media still uses the commas, but now it says LSU QB Marcus Randall, whose brother Eric Randall is Head Football Coach at SU Lab School. And I tell you to see them both doing exactly what they always dreamed they would do is really GOOD.

Okay I got real philosophical, even though I was pissed, and forgot this was the Smack Board, so MikeBigg, I said all that to say, SPEAK TO THAT WHICH YOU KNOW, even if it is just smack.:redhot:

Supe, SOG, Mike B, 19 years old my arse. Cecil Collins was at least 21 when all of that BS happened. Hell he was 19 when he left Leesville, he sat out a year because he was dumb, then he played a year, after that he started raping women, and peeking through windows.

Mike B, come on dog, you know damn well Collins got kicked off of the team after he got arrested, he may not have been convicted yet, but he was damn sure facing charges.

NICE

Originally posted by Seeing Spots

These two statements are absolutely not true. Eric never sought or considered a position on the Coach Rich's staff. Immediately after graduation he began working at a middle school and 4 months later appointed HEAD COACH at Southern University High School. It was in fact the job promised him and for which he was groomed for and for which he desired.

The statement that I made concerning Eric's interest to be a grad assistant was not made up. I got that from Eric himself. In many conversations, Eric has discussed how he felt unappreciated by Richardson. I didn't want to bring that up, but that was not smack...it was told to me by Eric. Eric, Ms Randall, and Marcus are class individuals. I know them personally...I don't think Eric would make up things just to make conversation. He even has mentioned how some Jag fans got upset and alleged that he "steered" his brother from SU. Eric would never do that becuz he loves SU and also knows that Marcus is capable of making his own decisions.

Marcus was nearly forced by his high school coach to play at the QB position. Even in the pee wee league he never played QB because he lived in such a large shadow cast by his brother.

Again, this is not completely accurate. Marcus did in fact play qb in the BREC leagues with the BR Bandits PeeWee team. The first year with the PeeWees he broke his ankle and sat out the season. The second year he was the qb of the team. When he came up to the Junior Age Group, the qb was Michael Woods (later the second baseman at SU). Marcus played defensive end and linebacker. I know this because I coached him on the Junior's.

He played defense until the 11th grade and then agreed to be Glen Oaks' QB. We all knew he had the arm, the speed and the intellect to be a great QB, but we never pushed him because of the emotional issue he faced.

You are correct. Until Marcus's junior year he was a wide receiver and defensive back. The qb at Glen Oaks High was Jeremy Booker and Jonathan Patterson (who also played BREC ball with the Bandits). Booker was a senior and had gotten injured, Patterson was in the same class as Marcus but the coaches made the decision that Marcus was better suited to play qb. Marcus never really liked playing qb prior to this. Maybe it was because of the comparison's I don't know. I do know that he told me he preferred the other positions because he liked to hit people and felt that qb was too restricted.

But oh did we rejoice we he played and played well. And every article, every TV interview every mention of his name was with THE COMMAS--Marcus Randall, whose brother Eric Randall played QB for Glen Oaks and lead the team to......,". Marcus is much loved by his brother who assumed the position of his psychological father when their father died in 1991. He did not pressure Marcus on his selection of schools, especially when Southern came calling. He did not expect Marcus to follow in ALL his footsteps. Marcus chose LSU for a lot of reasons, chief among them was so that his mom could see him play often and so that the Randall Crew, re-formed and re-dressed, could hit the road again like we did so many times to every SU game from 1992-1995. You cannot imagine how proud we all were Saturday at fan day to see our boy #2 on the depth chart and making a mark on his own.

Sure, the media still uses the commas, but now it says LSU QB Marcus Randall, whose brother Eric Randall is Head Football Coach at SU Lab School. And I tell you to see them both doing exactly what they always dreamed they would do is really GOOD.

Okay I got real philosophical, even though I was pissed, and forgot this was the Smack Board, so MikeBigg, I said all that to say, SPEAK TO THAT WHICH YOU KNOW, even if it is just smack.:redhot:

I don't mean to turn this into a debate. Obviously you have some family and emotional ties to the Randalls. As I said before they are class individuals. I never had the pleasure to get to know Coach Randall (Sr), but from all accounts he was a fine man and father. Judging from his son's that's very true. However, I wanted to let you know that I was not just talking smack, but was talking from first hand knowledge and conversations with Eric (Jr).

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy watching Marcus participate at LSU. He is a fine young man and from his hard work on the field and in the classroom, he deserves all the success that comes his way.

Back