The Pepsi-General Motors Swac Football Classic

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
So will that start with this years jsu Vs alcorn or 2022 ?! So the new name is SWAC FOOTBALL CLASSIC presented by GM .!!!

Last edited:
That name, SWAC Football Classic, sounds like a contradiction. Is the Alcorn-JSU game a SWAC conference commissioned game as opposed to other conference games? In other words, could another two SWAC teams also dubb their game "SWAC Football Classic?" or would that name belong exclusively to the Alcorn-JSU game?

That name, SWAC Football Classic, sounds like a contradiction. Is the Alcorn-JSU game a SWAC conference commissioned game as opposed to other conference games? In other words, could another two SWAC teams also dubb their game "SWAC Football Classic?" or would that name belong exclusively to the Alcorn-JSU game?
This is funny because when I first broke the news to my father I told him it would be some haters and look at here. It’s none other that ole Earle ole buddy ole pal. Gooooo #THEEILOVE and in this situation go Braves. Nothing wrong with a little in state love making big moves.

Nick name because the original name was dubbed capital city classic in 1993 when it was in jackson but when alcorn took it bck home then it was nicknamed soul bowl which was the nickname b4 capital city classic in the late 1970s
I think that after Jackson ceased being the host city for the game, JSU continued to refer to it and promote it as "The Capital City Classic" when it is played in Jackson, however, it is referred to as "The Soul Bowl" by Alcorn when it's played on their campus.

I think that after Jackson ceased being the host city for the game, JSU continued to refer to it and promote it as "The Capital City Classic" when it is played in Jackson, however, it is referred to as "The Soul Bowl" by Alcorn when it's played on their campus.
I noticed after jackson wasn’t the host city and when it was bck in Jackson’s due to rotation the younger generation called it capital city classic and more of your older generation referred to it also as soul bowl. I know my dad did. But I assume it was based off of what period in time u associated more with it . But with coach prime and coach McNair both keeping these programs top tier it’s definitely great to make it an official classic again. It definitely should have the interest rivaling that of 2003

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Nick name because the original name was dubbed capital city classic in 1993 when it was in jackson but when alcorn took it bck home then it was nicknamed soul bowl which was the nickname b4 capital city classic in the late 1970s

Agree with @Mace. I think it had nicknames like Turkey Bowl and Soul Bowl before that CCC business. They had to give it an official name once they decided to hold the games in Jackson I guess. That bowl nickname was probably inspired by the Egg Bowl.

Alcornites do not want a classic with JSU.

I need to know the particulars before I can say this will be okay. I know the Commissioner and the City of Jackson has had a hard on for Alcorn having a classic and we have refused over and over again. This deal better be sweeter than sweet for Alcorn or heads will roll

Alcornites do not want a classic with JSU.

I need to know the particulars before I can say this will be okay. I know the Commissioner and the City of Jackson has had a hard on for Alcorn having a classic and we have refused over and over again. This deal better be sweeter than sweet for Alcorn or heads will roll
Is it going to rotate between campuses or is it staying in Jxn?

Agree with @Mace. I think it had nicknames like Turkey Bowl and Soul Bowl before that CCC business. They had to give it an official name once they decided to hold the games in Jackson I guess. That bowl nickname was probably inspired by the Egg Bowl.
Well I did say it was nicknamed soul bowl and as you all added Turkey bowl BEFORE 1993 when it then was dubbed the CCC

I think GM is just saying it wants to be the auto sponsor for the conference. Not only for the Alcorn-Jackson game but SWAC events until 2024.

Didn't Toyota have a deal with the SWAC a few years ago?

Last edited:
I think GM is just saying it wants to be the auto sponsor for the conference. Not only for the Alcorn-Jackson game but SWAC events until 2024.

Didn't Toyota have a deal with the SWAC a few years ago?

It is a sponsorship for the entire SWAC conference but the article stated that they get the naming rights for the Alcorn Jackson game which will be dubbed the GM SWAC Football Classic

Back