The New ASUN Football Conference

They’ll just book a few nearby SIAC Schools. It’s not as bad as it seems if the AD becomes proactive with scheduling. If they are reactive, they’ll struggle.
If I was the AD, I’d hop on the phone with Grambling, FAMU, and Southern regarding setting up multiple years home and home contracts similar to what A&T and Hampton did with their MEAC rivals. Then, sell a few of the games to promoters. That’ll be on top of any FBS or D2 games they can schedule.
Their best bet would be to call Hampton and A&T and see if they are desperate enough to come to Nashville. Most SWAC programs are not.

I think that they would be spread out too far to merge, looking that the Southland schools are basically in south Louisiana and Texas. The OVC schools are in Missouri, Illinois, Tennessee & Kentucky.

If they do North/South, it may not be so bad

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
HBCU Mega Conference is coming!!!! If Tennessee State wants to go the ASUN, Big South or Southland I don't care they will still be a middle of the pack HBCU in a predominantly white conference.. Have at it "Big Blue"..

They will be middle of the road in the SWAC too.

That's a lot of games to try to schedule. Remember you had Swac schools that had problems trying to schedule 4 OOC games per year.

MEAC teams are doing it this year and moving forward

They all have full schedules. It's SWAC teams who don't however

I think that they would be spread out too far to merge, looking that the Southland schools are basically in south Louisiana and Texas. The OVC schools are in Missouri, Illinois, Tennessee & Kentucky.

Merger would be for football only not all sports. It wouldn’t be terrible as with 12 teams, you could always play the five others in “your league” and then limit travel with just two home/two away with otherside which shouldn’t be too bad unless you are from TX

and once leagues stabilized, they could split back up in football and get AQ back. Could also agree to some other sport arrangements to help shore up scheduling there.

does sound like OVC has a plan for expansion. Sounds like SLC is having a hard time with the Texas D2 folks

Merger would be for football only not all sports. It wouldn’t be terrible as with 12 teams, you could always play the five others in “your league” and then limit travel with just two home/two away with otherside which shouldn’t be too bad unless you are from TX

and once leagues stabilized, they could split back up in football and get AQ back. Could also agree to some other sport arrangements to help shore up scheduling there.

does sound like OVC has a plan for expansion. Sounds like SLC is having a hard time with the Texas D2 folks
The plan is to add Western Illinois for Football and all sports and non-football Lipscomb and Southern Indiana.

The thing people miss is that Big South now will have 7 teams. That's 6 conference games and 5 OOC.

People assume Big South will fold but it's not.

All Olympic sports are in NC, SC and VA.

again - yawn

Tennessee State has a chance to be its own man/woman and give athletes a chance to compete

they've won 7 titles total in 40 years of OVC play?

They partner with the Southland the SWAC needs to put their phone on call block lol

again - yawn

Tennessee State has a chance to be its own man/woman and give athletes a chance to compete

they've won 7 titles total in 40 years of OVC play?

They partner with the Southland the SWAC needs to put their phone on call block lol

If they can't win in the OVC , what makes u think they can win in the SWAC

I believe Tennessee State will more than likely look to move to the Big South before they would the SWAC, because of travel expenses and they'd get two in-conference HBCUs to play every year.

However, as long as the central teams of the OVC stay intact (4 TN, 2 IL, 2 KY, 1 MO), any move to leave the conference is still far fetched, IMO. Believe it or not, their travel expenses just went down some with these latest defections, and the conference just got a lot easier for them to win in again.

I believe Tennessee State will more than likely look to move to the Big South before they would the SWAC, because of travel expenses and they'd get two in-conference HBCUs to play every year.

However, as long as the central teams of the OVC stay intact (4 TN, 2 IL, 2 KY, 1 MO), any move to leave the conference is still far fetched, IMO. Believe it or not, their travel expenses just went down some with these latest defections, and the conference just got a lot easier for them to win in again.
If they can't win in the OVC , what makes u think they can win in the SWAC
they would compete across the board in the SWAC in the olympic sports - they've had real strong men's basketball teams in the past but they were doomed being in the OVC but could've been top 3 in the SWAC easily.

they would compete across the board in the SWAC in the olympic sports - they've had real strong men's basketball teams in the past but they were doomed being in the OVC but could've been top 3 in the SWAC easily.
The difference is winning the SWAC gets you at most a 16th seed, while in the OVC they're better positioned for an upset as a 14th seed or higher most years. And in what other sports is the SWAC ranked highly in besides bowling going into an NCAA tourney? I think TnSU is still concerned about prestige and travel expenses.

The difference is winning the SWAC gets you at most a 16th seed, while in the OVC they're better positioned for an upset as a 14th seed or higher most years. And in what other sports is the SWAC ranked highly in besides bowling going into an NCAA tourney? I think TnSU is still concerned about prestige and travel expenses.
they're nothing in the OVC - prestige for what? They haven't won anything to be prestigious lol

you split into divisions travel is about the same - and you have a chance to win - just post the championship ledger

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
they're nothing in the OVC - prestige for what? They haven't won anything to be prestigious lol

you split into divisions travel is about the same - and you have a chance to win - just post the championship ledger
You're focusing only on football. The non-revenue sports still have to travel to each other, and travel expenses is a major factor for their administration. Overall conference prestige is also a factor. So TnSU is supposed to come into the SWAC just because they're an HBCU?

I'd love for TnSU to come to the SWAC, but it's not what I think. I'm telling you how their administration thinks. Unless that changes, the SWAC will have to make a compelling argument for the benefits outweighing their chief concerns (expenses & prestige).

You're focusing only on football. The non-revenue sports still have to travel to each other, and travel expenses is a major factor for their administration. Overall conference prestige is also a factor. So TnSU is supposed to come into the SWAC just because they're an HBCU?

Besides football and basketball travel is basically split between divisions. Some of the other sports also do mini tournaments (roundups) on certain weekends.

Yes - the non-revenue sports even in the SWAC play divisions or pods to limit travel

Track & Field/XC sets their own schedule along with golf
softball/vb/tennis play in divisions (they don't have baseball)

ASun still has football agreement with Big South. If they don't have enough for their own league they will play in BS

ASUN agreement is with the WAC, not the Big South.

That would be incorrect. Kenessaw State and North Alabama are members of the ASUN. They only play football in the Big South because the ASUN doesn't offer it

The WAC / ASUN agreement for the teams who just came over so they would be able to qualify for a playoff birth. N Bama and KSU won't leave the Big South until the ASUN has enough members to qualify for a playoff bid. Which at this point they don't

Back