The New ASUN Football Conference

The Rumor is that ESPN is going to keep the game alive but open it up. Would be the SWAC vs highest ranked non SWAC HBCU not in the FCS playoffs. I think the conversation was to use the GPI rankings but not sure what would be used

Why would the Meac give up their Million Dollar slot for this game to just anyone else? They have a contract...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Why would the Meac give up their Million Dollar slot for this game to just anyone else? They have a contract...

Technically the MEAC and SWAC are in negations with ESPN. Celebration Bowl is apart of that discussion. Just like the Challenge is. Notice it was moved to week zero.

Also MEAC does 70/30 spilt. The participating team gets 70 percent, conference and remaining teams split the rest. It's really only a big win for the participating school. I'm sure money payout would change if it was a new model.

Do the schools that are left still want to participate in the CB though? Quite a few didn't seem thrilled about it in favor of the playoffs. With A&T, Hampton, BCU and FAMU gone, does that thought process change?

I think the only school that for sure would leave the MEAC if given the chance would be Delaware State. Howard would bolt for the NEC or CAA as well but I think they know neither wants them in all sports. Same for NCCU following A&T to the Big South (although they could become the new big dogs with the right coach)

Morgan is the happiest about the others leaving because it allows them to become the new big dog of the MEAC. Still think that SCSU is the team to beat but how long will they still be a D1 school is the question (same for NSU).

Technically the MEAC and SWAC are in negations with ESPN. Celebration Bowl is apart of that discussion. Just like the Challenge is. Notice it was moved to week zero.

Also MEAC does 70/30 spilt. The participating team gets 70 percent, conference and remaining teams split the rest. It's really only a big win for the participating school. I'm sure money payout would change if it was a new model.

But it still is the Meac's to control and not give it up to a school in another conference.

More changes coming, could the Swac pick off TnSt now...

242217445_4271456179608421_2383144904842933073_n.jpg

Poor Tennessee State
Hmm...

Once the OVC invites WIU, they'll have 7 football-playing members with a 6-game conference schedule. That'll be 5-6 game slots available yearly to book the SWAC/HBCU teams they want to play. It doesn't necessarily put them in dire straits in that department. Plus, the OVC will make Austin Peay pay that $750K or sue as they're suing Eastern Kentucky and Jacksonville State. That's going to mean more money for the athletic department.

Also, don't be surprised if you see the OVC go after Southern Indiana.

Hmm...

Once the OVC invites WIU, they'll have 7 football-playing members with a 6-game conference schedule. That'll be 5-6 game slots available yearly to book the SWAC/HBCU teams they want to play. It doesn't necessarily put them in dire straits in that department. Plus, the OVC will make Austin Peay pay that $750K or sue as they're suing Eastern Kentucky and Jacksonville State. That's going to mean more money for the athletic department.

That's a lot of games to try to schedule. Remember you had Swac schools that had problems trying to schedule 4 OOC games per year.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
That's a lot of games to try to schedule. Remember you had Swac schools that had problems trying to schedule 4 OOC games per year.
They’ll just book a few nearby SIAC Schools. It’s not as bad as it seems if the AD becomes proactive with scheduling. If they are reactive, they’ll struggle.
If I was the AD, I’d hop on the phone with Grambling, FAMU, and Southern regarding setting up multiple years home and home contracts similar to what A&T and Hampton did with their MEAC rivals. Then, sell a few of the games to promoters. That’ll be on top of any FBS or D2 games they can schedule.

HBCU Mega Conference is coming!!!! If Tennessee State wants to go the ASUN, Big South or Southland I don't care they will still be a middle of the pack HBCU in a predominantly white conference.. Have at it "Big Blue"..

Hmm...

I wonder how much of those exit fees will go back to the member institutions once you factor court costs and Conference office’s cut?

seems like the ASUN is trying to pit itself as the trendy exciting conference that has more to offer than the OVC...TSU is going to end up left holding the broken pieces.

Back