The Final 8...HONDA BATTLE of THE BANDS

For those that have been to the Honda's, how long the show case last?

Roughly around 3 to 4 hours max.....There is a systematic flow of the bands, each performing one after another....Usually there are short, and I do mean short breaks in between each band, with Atlanta's own radio personaltiy dj "Ryan Cameron", who normally gets the crowd participation involved....Sometimes there is also a guest performer ( rap or RnB) artist .....Otherwise that's it......

Typical format

Opens up with Mass Band Performance
Bands #1-4 performs
Guest Rap or RnB Artist
Bands #5-8 performs
Closes with Mass Band Performance

Last edited:
Roughly around 3 to 4 hours max.....There is a systematic flow of the bands, each performing one after another....Usually there are short, and I do mean short breaks in between each band, with Atlanta's own radio personaltiy dj "Ryan Cameron", who normally get the crowd participation involved....Sometimes there is also a guest performer ( rap or RnB) artist .....Otherwise that's it......

I don't think no one personally wants to sit @ a marching band event for over 4 hours, cause all the shows start looking the same.......That's why it's good to go on first and perform, and not last......

Thank you!!!!!! Now I can book my flight.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The participating universities Alumni usually have great tickets at a discount.
Thank you. I got my ticket already. I'm sitting at the lower level and I'm happy about that for my first Honda. If there is a good line up next year I will be sure to inquire my alma mater for some tickets.

a85e01b0-4fa9-414d-a147-4ebd3bff3c67.jpg

Everyone! Say Congrats to retired director of the Jackson State University Sonic Boom of the South Marching Band, Dowell Taylor.

Mr. Taylor has been selected to be the 2016 honoree for the nationally acclaimed Honda Battle of the Bands which will be held in Atlanta, Georgia on January 28-30, 2016. Taylor has also been selected by the HBCU National Band Director's Consortium to be its honoree during its national convention in Atlanta Georgia on April 14-17, 2016. These honors, bestowed on Taylor by the respective board of directors and his peers, are in recognition of a 31-year stellar career in the field of music as a music educator, music technologists, music performer and band director.

Taylor, a native of Jackson, Mississippi, is a graduate of Callaway High School. He also attended Jackson State University receiving the B.M.E. and M.M.E. degrees, respectively. Taylor participated in the JSU “Sonic Boom of the South” Marching Band Tuba Section, and during his undergraduate years he arranged more than 100 band selections including the current JSU theme song, “Get Ready”, originally arranged by John Paul Jones. In 1975 he received the highest award a bandsman could receive, the “Best All Around Bandsman” award. Taylor did further study (90 quarter hours) while enrolled in the Doctor of Musical Arts program in Wind Conducting at the University of Cincinnati, College Conservatory of Music, Cincinnati, Ohio.

12642470_10153902540817002_6767257281909369727_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/JacksonState

I hope the weather will be better this weekend in the Atlanta area than it was last weekend.
It was fantastic this past weekend. I recall that one year we had that ice storm and the BOTB was held that sunday instead of that Saturday.

Last wknd I did a 15k race, 25 damn degrees that sunday morning. UGH. But it warmed up.

THIS past weekend, weather could not have been better.

It was fantastic this past weekend. I recall that one year we had that ice storm and the BOTB was held that sunday instead of that Saturday.

Last wknd I did a 15k race, 25 damn degrees that sunday morning. UGH. But it warmed up.

THIS past weekend, weather could not have been better.

The Boom + Perfect weather = 63,000+ attendance!

Back