The biggest question for Saturday: Will Jaguar Nation outnumber JSU fans?

Dr. Tripp

http://www.clarionledger.com/news/0310/13/tjsu02.html

October 13, 2003

This week for Jackson State

By Mark Alexander
malexander@clarionledger.com

SOUTHERN
RECORD 6-0
Southern 29, M. Valley 0
Southern 62, P. View 7
Southern 35, N.C. A&T 16
Southern 35, Al. St. 10
Southern 53, UAPB 7
Southern 55, Al. A&M 25
O.18 at Jackson St.
N. 1 Allen
N. 8 Lincoln
N. 15 at Texas Southern
N. 29 Grambling (N.O.)

RECAP: JSU fell behind 20-0 to Alabama State and lost 27-20 after a second-half rally fell short. The loss dropped to the Tigers to 2-5, their worst start since 1969.

SATURDAY: Southern, 6 p.m.

SITE: Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium, Jackson

TV: MBC (tape delay, 4 p.m. Sunday).

Scouting the Jaguars

OFFENSE: Southern has been downright unstoppable on offense. The Jaguars are averaging a SWAC-best 44.8 points per game and are second in the league in total offense at 443.5 yards per game ? 189.2 rushing, 254.3 passing. That's got to be a scary thought for a JSU defense that has given up a combined 876 yards and 55 points the past two weeks. The Jags' offensive orchestrator is quarterback Quincy Richard, who has thrown for 1,501 yards and 17 TDs while completing 66.9 percent of his passes. Richard has plenty of weapons at his disposal and uses them all in what is a multiple, open-the-playbook style attack. Versatile back Kenneth Peoples (495 yards, 5 TDs) is the main man on the ground. The Jaguars have six players with 10 or more receptions, led by speedsters Alfred Ard and Chris Davis, who have combined for 48 catches, 800 yards and 9 touchdowns.

DEFENSE: The fast starts on offense ? Southern has out-scored opponents 157-18 in the first half ? have made life easier on the Jags' defense, which ranks first in the SWAC in scoring defense (10.8 ppg.) and total defense (265.8 ypg.). Southern held Alabama A&M to just 153 total yards. Newcomers ? LB Tarus Morgan, CB Erin Damond, DE Kevin Mack and FS Jarmaul George ? have made a huge impact. CB Lenny Williams, the SWAC preseason defensive player of the year, and SS Eddie Woods are senior leaders.

INTANGIBLES: Jackson State has beaten Southern three straight years, a fact longtime Southern coach Pete Richardson is sure to remind his troops of early and often this week. The Tigers had hoped returning home Saturday would solve their problems. It didn't. It was a case of same song, different verse as JSU got off to another slow start, made mistakes at crucial times and came up short against Alabama State. Already 2-5, JSU faces SWAC heavyweights Southern and Grambling in Jackson the next two weeks.The biggest question for Saturday: Will Jaguar Nation outnumber JSU fans?

Southern fans will out number Jackson State fans at the game, because a lot of Jackson State fans are upset with Bell and will not be attending Jackson State football games the rest of the season. That's said.

Won't happen. It dose not matter what is going on with either teams season when this game comes up. JSU fans and SU fans will show up because it's JSU -vs- SU. To much going on that weekend not to "BE OUT" in the mix.

Yes in deed!!......The Jaguar Nation is going to invade Jackson the whole weekend and take over the whole city. We're coming with our SU gear on, food in one hand, liquor in the other and revenge in our hearts....lol This weekend is going to be so much fun but I think the numbers can't be accounted for until gameday and the reason is because you never can tell how the JSU fans will be thinking on the 18th. They may feel like, "why even bother" or they can just as easily show up in great numbers because it is SU. The Jukebox and the Boom plays extremely huge roles in attendance figures, believe it or not. My personal prediction is that we will out-number them by a few thousand.....I'm out.

Originally posted by Jaguar05
The Jukebox and the Boom plays extremely huge roles in attendance figures, believe it or not.

I agree. JSU fans aren't staying home this weekend.

A lot of Jags are buying tickets on the 50 yard on JSU's side of the stadium (Section 105), since they are not selling in Jackson we decided to buy them.

Yes, Southern fans outnumber JSU fans every year. The fact that they are losing, may just make it worse.

The Nation is coming...

Up to last weekend ASU was the big draw for J-State and only drew an attendance: 7,528....so why do you think J-State will out draw the NATION?

55,000 minus 7,528 = THE JAGUAR NATION

Originally posted by Earle
I agree with Lewis. Southern's fans will outnumber JSU's like we always do.

Ya'LL are something else. SU fan's have never out numbered JSU fans in Memorial. The only thing you did 2 years ago was get to Jackson before sunrise and filled up the parking lot. 3/4 of JSU fans don't even come to the stadium until 2 hours before kickoff with a "been drankin all day" attitude.:D

Re: The Nation is coming...

Originally posted by SUJAG73
Up to last weekend ASU was the big draw for J-State and only drew an attendance: 7,528....so why do you think J-State will out draw the NATION?

55,000 minus 7,528 = THE JAGUAR NATION

Rookie ..................... Get something straight. ASU HAS NOT BEEN THE BIG DRAW FOR JSU ...................... EVER. This year was down, but ASU has never been in the top 5 attended games for JSU.

1. Homecomming ---- Don't matter who
2. SU
3. Alcorn
4. TnSt
5. Gram

2 and 3 flips from year to year.
:cool:

What's New???

Why is this such a big question? We outnumber them when they're winning...so, of course we'll do it on Saturday. From what I hear, only 7,000 folks were there this past Saturday. :shame:

All of this Jags outnumber JSU started in 1997. It appeard that way because JSU fans normally arrive late tothe game...even for the Alcorn game and homecoming. SU fans like to be there for kickoff. So when the Jags arrived in 1997, they beat us to the seats, that's all. I like to be in my seat at kickoff so normally try to go into the stadium about an hour early but that did not work in 1997. In 1999, JSU fans adjusted their mentality, got there early and clearly outnumbered SU...as we did in 2001 in the rain. Yes, a lot of JSU fans are boycotting games but I still can't see SU outnumbering us.

Re: What's New???

Originally posted by SU's Finest '93
From what I hear, only 7,000 folks were there this past Saturday. :shame:
And half of those were ASU folks.

SU will probably outnumber them at least 3 to 1.

:snicker:

Close call. While JSU fans do love this game. . . .and normally when it's in Jackson it ends up being like 50 - 50. I think SU fans might outnumber JSU this time. Our folks will still show up for the matchup and rivalry sake, but folks are really pissed right about now and the attendance is hurting because of it......on top of that SU fans are happy with things right now, so they have no reason not to come. So i wouldn't be suprised if they did.

Originally posted by Bulldog Fan
How is the weather looking for this weekend in Jackson?

I went on weather.com and they said no rain, but I probably need to check with the clarion instead.

I wouldn't be surprised if they outnumbered us. But it would be the 1st time that it has happened. SU fan seems to think because they get there first wearing the same color they have more. Going into the stadium at 3 for a 6pm kickoff won't increase your numbers.

Originally posted by Bulldog Fan
How is the weather looking for this weekend in Jackson?

They say on Saturday, it will be sunny and cool. A front is comming through today bringing cool air behind it........ Bout like it was this past weekend ................ 70-75 by kickoff.:cool:

Now ya'll know the only answer to this question...

if the game is a runaway, by the end of the 3rd quarter, most JSU fans will be on the way out. If the stadium is still packed, you'll know who had the most!!!

As far as the SU fans getting in early, prior to the renovations at Memorial, they didn't/wouldn't open up the EAST gates until 90 minutes before the game. We stood outside the TWO gates waiting for quite some time trying to get in. Dayum near was a riot. However, little did we realize that EVERY gate on the North and West ends were open!!!

With the renovations to Memorial, we had no problems lately. That's to be commended.

Who cares who outnumbers who!! Just support HBCU athletics and may the best team win!!!

Back