The 80th Magic City Classic

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Question:

Will the game move to the new stadium?
It is still scheduled for Legion Field. Depending on the crowd, the new stadium would be too small for a regular classic crowd. The crowd might be less again this year if the covid-19 variant is still rampant.

It is still scheduled for Legion Field. Depending on the crowd, the new stadium would be too small for a regular classic crowd. The crowd might be less again this year if the covid-19 variant is still rampant.
If the swac does what it's supposed to do, this could spell the end of the MCC in Birmingham. Protective Stadium is too small. If both the bulldogs and hornets can consistently field solid teams w/ the home schedules they'll have they could begin looking at stadium expansion. Before you laugh look at bama state's home schedule and tell me which game won't have a near sellout...

If the swac does what it's supposed to do, this could spell the end of the MCC in Birmingham. Protective Stadium is too small. If both the bulldogs and hornets can consistently field solid teams w/ the home schedules they'll have they could begin looking at stadium expansion. Before you laugh look at bama state's home schedule and tell me which game won't have a near sellout...

Are you suggesting the MCC becomes a home and home game?

The MCC would never work as a home and home game, and I doubt either school would expand their stadiums just for one game. The game needs to remain at Legion Field, unless and until Legion Field closes at some point. If so, then I think the schools should seriously consider the Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta.

The MCC would never work as a home and home game, and I doubt either school would expand their stadiums just for one game. The game needs to remain at Legion Field, unless and until Legion Field closes at some point. If so, then I think the schools should seriously consider the Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta.
I would never suggest expanding stadiums for one game, but it won't be for one game. Look at their schedule. Which game(s) do you expect they'd have a poor home crowd for? Not miles, or tuskegee. Not BCU. Not pine bluff for homecoming. The only possibility is texas southern and they made that military appreciation day and it'll also be senior day (presumably). if they go full capacity this fall they'll average 23k+.

Expansion of Protective Stadium is an option if Legion Field closes and the MCC continues to grow. Expansion of the home stadiums to a size host the game is least likely because only that one game is likely to fill a much larger stadium.

If that’s the case, then might as well just move the game to Protective Stadium that has about 47k capacity. Either way, the MCC would never be the same. If the game cannot remain at Legion Field, then move it to Atlanta!

If that’s the case, then might as well just move the game to Protective Stadium that has about 47k capacity. Either way, the MCC would never be the same. If the game cannot remain at Legion Field, then move it to Atlanta!
Atlanta is too far... It would never work. Many of those who attend are local people who would or could not make the trip to Atlanta.

Atlanta is only two hours from Birmingham, Huntsville and Montgomery, and if advertised properly, the city of Atlanta would support it, especially considering that there are a ton of AAMU and ASU alumni in Atlanta.

Atlanta is only two hours from Birmingham, Huntsville and Montgomery, and if advertised properly, the city of Atlanta would support it, especially considering that there are a ton of AAMU and ASU alumni in Atlanta.
There are not enough alumni members of the two schools to constitute 65-70,0000. And it is not likely to be supported by mass of local people not associated with the schools. There are a lot of these type of games for them to attend and support of any one game is likely to be lukewarm. In addition, there are a lot of other things for them to do over there.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
home and home -
:dedhorse:

Please move on to something else.

Question:

Will the game move to the new stadium?
The Magic City Classic's current contract with Legion Field ends in 2022. Spoke to the Executive Director of the MCC at the SWAC Championships and they have multiple ideas on the board. Negotiations will begin after this year's game. Personally, he and the BRUNO events staff don't want to move to the MCC to the new stadium because they (MCC & BHAM) would lose out on money that is made from Parking, tailgating, and vendors due to the new stadium's location. Plus ticket prices would rise since the new stadium can only expand to about 50,000 at max.

But the other dilemma is that Legion Field doesn't have many tenants and a lot of money is being pumped into a stadium that needs constant upgrades. So its a two-folded dilemma right now.

A home and home contest is more likely after Legion Field has outlived its usefulness. Season ticket sales would increase for both institutions to guarantee a ticket to the revised MCC. The game will not move to Atlanta.

A home and home contest is more likely after Legion Field has outlived its usefulness. Season ticket sales would increase for both institutions to guarantee a ticket to the revised MCC. The game will not move to Atlanta.
If that happens, would that be the first time either school hosted in forever?

Horrible idea.

If that happens, would that be the first time either school hosted in forever?
I believe since 1938. The B’ham black community built this classic. Will they still support it if it’s moved to Montgomery or Huntsville. The 2 schools been playing each other since 1924. Alabama and Auburn took their game from Legion Field and the Iron Bowl has not missed a beat. I know we’re not PWIs and operates in a different sphere but I also recognize the city of B’ham will one day stop maintaining the Old Gray Lady. I say let the cites of B’ham and Montgomery and Huntsvillle into the discussion of the future of the MCC.

Last edited:
the MCC will never be a home and home.... who cares the new stadium size.... ticket prices will go up... and more money still will be made. Maybe they will stop all the COMP tickets they give out now. Use Legion Field for tailgating.

the MCC will never be a home and home.... who cares the new stadium size.... ticket prices will go up... and more money still will be made. Maybe they will stop all the COMP tickets they give out now. Use Legion Field for tailgating.
Make sure they do y’all classic right man…. Don’t let these slick cars sellsman they got sweet talk y’all into some short end of the stick garbage. That classic is a SWAC cornerstone and has been for decades.

Back