The 2005 Grammys

JagGrad said:
I have never understood the hype on Alicia Keys. Don't get me wrong she is extremely talanted, however she is not the best vocalist. Sexy as hell though!!!!!!!!!!!!

She iight to me. I dont see the real big hype on here either. She not even sexy to me, she just light skinned with long hair. Alicia was just the best perfomer there last night.

Jax1906 said:
What did Kanye say that got the standing ovation?

Im great kiss my @zz. :rolleyes: arrogant bastard.

He pretty much said - "people asked me what if I didnt win a Grammy........now they'll never know". :smash:

JagGrad said:
I have never understood the hype on Alicia Keys. Don't get me wrong she is extremely talanted, however she is not the best vocalist. Sexy as hell though!!!!!!!!!!!!
When she first came out I didn't too much care for her as well. I thought she was just a pretty face. I was highly upset when India Arie didn't recieve a grammy and they went to Keys. However,.....not only is Alicia a singer,....she is an outstanding musician. I study music so I don't expect the people to hear and look for the techniques that I do. Alicia has a way of disecting musical chord resolutions for the purpose of finding that particular pretty note or run. That's just one particular facet. You just have to understand music to know this. To me,...she is more than just a pretty face. She's a sombody in music and she has only just begun. Mark my words. She has the capability to be up there in the ranks with Aretha, Patti, Gladis Knight and the rest of the Legends.

NASTYNUPE said:
Surely you all don't think that Queen Latifah is a better singer than Alicia Keys. Maybe I'm just reading this thread wrong.

MC Lyte or Monifah...send help
Well IMO, neither are great Vocalist, but Alicia is hella Talented.
Latifah has a great Jazz sound. Her CD is GREAT.

Legend35 said:
When she first came out I didn't too much care for her as well. I thought she was just a pretty face. I was highly upset when India Arie didn't recieve a grammy and they went to Keys. However,.....not only is Alicia a singer,....she is an outstanding musician. I study music so I don't expect the people to hear and look for the techniques that I do. Alicia has a way of disecting musical chord resolutions for the purpose of finding that particular pretty note or run. That's just one particular facet. You just have to understand music to know this. To me,...she is more than just a pretty face. She's a sombody in music and she has only just begun. Mark my words. She has the capability to be up there in the ranks with Aretha, Patti, Gladis Knight and the rest of the Legends.
Mane, I was hella Pissed when Alicia Keys won all of those grammys and India didn't get any..India could sing circles around Ms. H. AKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, that was 2 years ago. India Arie was nominated for 10 awards and didnt win one. They gave her 2 sympathy awards the next year on her second album.

The first one was better than the 2nd.

Does anyone else think that Ursha was robbed for "Album of the Year" and face time on the Grammy's???

NASTYNUPE said:
What happened to Jill Scott? She wasn't even nominated.

Jill Scott did win a Grammy. She won for Best Urban/Alternative Performance Single - Cross My Mind
Track from: Beautifully Human: Words & Sounds Vol. 2
[Hidden Beach]

I was happy to hear that Prince took home 2 Grammys. He won for Call My Name, Best Male R & B Performance (For a solo vocal performance. Singles or Tracks only) and Best Traditional R&B Vocal Performance - Musicology
(For solo, duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)

Link to list of winners

Oh okay. Thanks for the 411

silentrage said:
Jill Scott did win a Grammy. She won for Best Urban/Alternative Performance Single - Cross My Mind
Track from: Beautifully Human: Words & Sounds Vol. 2
[Hidden Beach]

I was happy to hear that Prince took home 2 Grammys. He won for Call My Name, Best Male R & B Performance (For a solo vocal performance. Singles or Tracks only) and Best Traditional R&B Vocal Performance - Musicology
(For solo, duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)

Link to list of winners

JagGrad said:
I have never understood the hype on Alicia Keys. Don't get me wrong she is extremely talanted, however she is not the best vocalist.

CO-SIGN!!!!
However, her performance at the Grammy's was really good! :tup: :tup:

Legend35 said:
When she first came out I didn't too much care for her as well. I thought she was just a pretty face. I was highly upset when India Arie didn't recieve a grammy and they went to Keys. However,.....not only is Alicia a singer,....she is an outstanding musician.

I felt the EXACT same way until I saw perform live on the BET Awards. My respect level for her as a musician has gone up tremendously since then. :bowdown:

India.Arie is still my favorite though. :D

I hate to tell the Kanye West Haters but brother just became a superstar has officially crossed over. I know most you of dislike rap but West performance was on fire
Hip-Hop and the Five Blind Boys from Alabama that was bananas.

BandFan said:
Fugg Kanye big face @ZZ!!!!! :kaioken:

I gotta agree man. Folk ain't rap haters because the don't like Kanye. I just feel ole boys ego by far surpasses his actual lyrical abilities. He is just OK in my opinion. It was kinda funny because at the end when he had the wings behind him it seem like he was lookin around like....ya'll aint gonna give it up no more than that? :shame:

Was it me or did it seem like that country singer (can't think of his name) was havin problems on every song.

As for U2 they are aiight with me. I prefer a lil more roughness to rock but they are ok. I have never liked Green Day for some reason. I might have to check out this Franz Ferdinand cat.

Like you said BlaquePrince, it would seem like that car accident would have humbled his BIG FACED AZZZ!!!!!

guess not.

He on his last 4 minutes of fame. :angry:

BLAQUE PRINCE said:
I gotta agree man. Folk ain't rap haters because the don't like Kanye. I just feel ole boys ego by far surpasses his actual lyrical abilities. He is just OK in my opinion. It was kinda funny because at the end when he had the wings behind him it seem like he was lookin around like....ya'll aint gonna give it up no more than that? :shame:

Bandfan, you 'bout wil' :bump:
I agree......I ain't impressed with his lyrics. Common is deeper than Kanye. He's following the lead of Teddy Riley and P-Diddy......throwing a few words on some decent beats..However, I was digging the choreography to Jesus Walks. :bowdown:

As far Kanye is concerned I think he's the Terrell Owens of music the man people love to hate. By the way for the Alicia Keys lovers check the credits on her album and see who wrote and produce three or four songs on her album I think the song (Karma)was the latest hit you'll find Kanye West all over it. I'm in the Music business and I like West because it takes a lot guts to make Jesus Walks in this day and age of music. Also the song with Stacy Dash in video listen to the lyrics if you went to an Hbcu you know that girl he's talkin about. I saw an interveiw with him and he said Common and Talib Kweli tought him how to be street without being gangsta.

Nothing wrong with Kanye's rap skills, song writing skills, or production skills.

It's his ego.

The great ones are recognized without ever having to tell everyone how good they are, and accept recognition humbly not smugly (as Kanye did on the Grammy's).
If someone else wins, they give props not throw tirades (as Kanye did at the AMA's).

Seems to me that they?ve gotten away from the actual presentation of awards. You had to keep up with the scroll on the bottom to see those who received awards from earlier in the night. They spend too much time trying to make it some huge concert of the year than actually focusing on the award presentation itself.

I know they can?t show every award in every category, but they only seem to give out maybe 12-15 awards on tv and then the rest of the show is boring. I mean flat out boring.

I don?t appreciate Kanye floating up with wings on?what?s he trying to say???

And the "church" scene with the woman "getting happy" laying a flower on the casket took away from the actual singing.

Alicia?s and Jamie?s performance was excellent.
They could have kept that mess with J.Lo and Mark Anthony.

I like Ray?s album, but I?m not so sure it should have gotten the top award.

I appreciated the first part of Kanye's acceptance speech...he actually sounded humble and grateful...then he ended with that part about what he would do if he didn't win..."I guess we'll never know". Whatever.

Back