Texas A&M student paper blasted for printing cartoon called racist

MsJag4Jag

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metropolitan/1216539

Jan. 18, 2002, 9:51AM

A&M student paper blasted for printing cartoon called racist
By RON NISSIMOV
Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

The Texas A&M University student newspaper is being criticized for publishing an editorial cartoon that some students describe as "blatantly racist."

The cartoon, drawn by an anonymous student who uses the pen name "The Uncartoonist," ran in the Battalion newspaper Monday and depicts a black mother scolding her son for flunking a class. Both the mother and the son have big eyes and frowning, large lips -- caricatures historically used to denigrate blacks.

The overweight mother -- holding a spatula in her left hand and wearing an apron and curlers -- points to her son with her right hand and says, "If you ain't careful you gonna end up doing airport security."

The slouching son -- his belly sticking out from his short shirt -- is holding and staring at his "report card," which has a large letter "F."

A black student organization at the school is demanding that the Battalion formally apologize for publishing the cartoon.

"The attire and speech of the mother were stereotypically exaggerated and historically characteristic of the bigoted cartoon portrayal of African-Americans in an era that we presumed was bygone," said a statement released this week by the African-American Student Coalition. The group called the cartoon "blatantly racist."

Battalion editor Mariano Castillo said in a statement, "I stand behind my decision to run the cartoon."

"The cartoon was not meant to be interpreted as racist," the statement said. "The intent was simply to illustrate the concern that a high school diploma is not required to protect our nation's airports."

Castillo said in a telephone interview that the "race issue came up" during an editorial meeting before the cartoon was published, but the decision was made to run it.

Besides seeking a written apology from the paper, the African-American Student Coalition urged the administration to "act upon any objectionable material featured in the Battalion."

In a letter published in the Battalion on Thursday, A&M President Ray Bowen wrote that he would not "challenge" the independence of the student-run newspaper, which gets $20,000 a year from the university and derives 98 percent of its $1 million annual budget from selling advertising.

However, Bowen also wrote that the cartoon "clearly played on negative stereotypes of African-Americans."

"I do wish to tell you how greatly I deplore the messages conveyed by this cartoon, which casts doubt on whether we are truly a welcoming place for all people," Bowen wrote.

A&M officials have for many years been trying to shed the image some have that the school is inhospitable to minorities. Many minority students have said they do not fit in at the school because of its relatively low number of minorities and its traditions stemming from its past as an all-white, all-male military academy.

This fall, 80 percent of the school's 44,000 students are white, 10 percent are Hispanic and 3 percent are black.

Bereket Bisrat, a sophomore from Houston who is a spokesman for A&M's African-American Student Coalition, said the school's image of being inhospitable to minorities is inaccurate but that occurrences such as the cartoon incident reinforce the misperception.

He said black students on campus were outraged but that no demonstrations were planned at this point. He said that may change if no apology is forthcoming. He said he was heartened by Bowen's letter.

Bisrat also said he planned to meet with Castillo on Thursday night. The editor would not comment on whether the newspaper might issue an apology after meeting with Bisrat.

"They don't need to apologize to the African-American Student Coalition," Bisrat said. "They need to apologize to everyone who was offended."

Castillo said no advertisers have voiced concern and that reaction among students has been "mixed."

Bill Perry, A&M executive associate provost, said "things are much different" than when he started teaching at the school 30 years ago, explaining that the school has made big strides in welcoming minorities.

He said Bowen has taken a proactive approach by undertaking studies of A&M's minority students, making dormitories more hospitable to minorities and offering a wider variety of ethnic studies classes.

This week, more than 800 black student university leaders from the Southwest are attending an annual conference hosted at A&M for the last 14 years, Perry said.

It's 2002 and we're worst off now than ever

This racism has got to stop...This is the main reason why I did not attend a PWC.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by Ms. Jag4Jag

Battalion editor Mariano Castillo said in a statement, "I stand behind my decision to run the cartoon."

"The cartoon was not meant to be interpreted as racist," the statement said. "The intent was simply to illustrate the concern that a high school diploma is not required to protect our nation's airports."

Castillo said in a telephone interview that the "race issue came up" during an editorial meeting before the cartoon was published, but the decision was made to run it.

In a letter published in the Battalion on Thursday, A&M President Ray Bowen wrote that he would not "challenge" the independence of the student-run newspaper, which gets $20,000 a year from the university and derives 98 percent of its $1 million annual budget from selling advertising.

However, Bowen also wrote that the cartoon "clearly played on negative stereotypes of African-Americans."

"I do wish to tell you how greatly I deplore the messages conveyed by this cartoon, which casts doubt on whether we are truly a welcoming place for all people," Bowen wrote.

The editor basically confeses that he knew this was going to be a problem because of it's content and ran it that way anyway. If they were trying to just put forth the messege of flunking out of school will get you a low paying job as a airport security officer, why didn't they use a cartoon that illustrated that. But in using the one they used they conveded the messege that it is only blacks that were use to filling those low paying jobs.

11802_cartoon.jpg

Deborah Wrigley, ABC13 Houston

Mariano Castillo/Battalion Editor: "There's always some complaint, I guess, against the cartoon of the day. It tends to be very edgy. But it's also a very smart editorial cartoon. It always makes people think."

In the end, the cartoon made editor Mariano Castillo think and rethink about what appears in the paper.

Mariano Castillo/Battalion Editor:
"I would never have run that cartoon if I had known that, if I had thought that it was racist in any way, shape or form."

Deborah Wrigley/Eyewitness News:
"Would you run it again?"
Mariano Castillo/Battalion Editor: "If I was in a situation to run it again, knowing the response it would get, that it would offend people, I would not run it again."

The editor, whose first day on the job was Monday, the same day that the cartoon ran, has met with African American leaders on campus. There will now be a series of filters as to what runs in the newspaper from now on

He's now trying to spin his way out of it, but he knew what the problem was he ran it and now he has to live with that.

What I think...

Well, being a graduate of Texas A&M I am not going to defend the cartoon but I will make a few points so please bear with me. I think that there is more to it that we are seeing here. First of all, this is not surprising at all. Whenever you have a university that is running on ?old money? and was founded for the purpose of educating only white males, you will have race/gender issues pop up because you have a lot of people that still believe in their ol? school values. They pass their mindsets onto their kids and then their kids attend the school and keep the same attitudes and prejudice. A&M is an old southern school running on old southern money supported by old southern mentalities and gets its biggest voice from old southern alumni. That is not going to change anytime soon? and the face of schools like A&M will not change if minority students continue to avoid going there and changing the landscape. The article stated that out of 44,000 students only 3% are black and I think that is sad. We love to sit back and complain about these schools and how racist they are and yet we don?t try to actually enroll in the schools so that we can do our part to make a difference and try to change the landscape just a little bit.

A&M has changed a lot over the years, however a lot of change is still needed. There is no way that change will happen as long as Blacks avoid the school. 3% is not enough to make a significant change. And once those 3% (like myself) become alumni of the university, they still have to compete with the other 80%. Marches, protest, boycotts and things of that nature do serve their purpose, however they are short term and only do so much. If you want to change mentalities you have to put yourselves in the same room with the ignorant. When I was at A&M I sat in classes of 250+ people and some of them had NEVER sat next to a black person before. Some had never had a black roommate or lived in the same neighborhood with a black person. It may be 2002, but that doesn?t mean people?s natural fear of what they don?t know has left human kind (if you know what I mean).

Now back to the article? look at the editor?s name VERY carefully? he is Hispanic. Monday was his first day on the job and he makes the conscience choice to run the cartoon under an anonymous name. The MLK holiday is this Monday? I can guarantee there were programs going on on campus this past week to celebrate? this pops up in the school paper at a time when people are already racially sensitive. Hmmm? even though this is not surprising to me, putting the pieces of the puzzle together shows me that there is more to the story? the editor knew EXACTLY what he was doing. Now his name is in the news. :rolleyes:

Sorry I got to rambling, but I do love Texas A&M. I don?t expect everyone to understand that, but I do. I made the choice to attended A&M partly because I wanted to know if all of the racist drama I was hearing about up there was a reality. A&M has a racist PERSEPTION but racism exists everywhere. Schools like A&M are not for everyone? as the article stated, many Blacks at A&M say they are not happy there. I say, ?Highway 6 runs both ways?. Black people? talking and complaining about an incident is one thing? but don?t expect change to happen when you are not putting yourself in the situation and MAKING it happen. Avoidance is not the answer. Now don?t get me wrong? I respect that love HBCUs for what they symbolize and the history they have in our society? but unless you put yourself in a position to change at least ONE person?s mindset you are doing nothing to solve the problem of race, racism, racial intolerance, prejudice, and the simple fear of something that is different.

And some people wonder why I own 6 assault rifles !!!!

Since Texas A & M is a public school that is STATE FUNDED, if African Americans in Texas go there or not THEIR MONEY DOES and they should be respected.

If the cartoon was Anti-Jewish you would have some swift action!

First of all Attack Dog, I am with you 100%.

I too am a graduate of Texas A&M. I was there for five years as a PhD student. The time I spent there was much longer than I spent at PV.

Yes, A&M is a conservative school. The College Republicans are one of the largest if not the largest groups on campus. Those who have been to University of Texas at Austin and A&M in College Station have said that UT, despite that it has a lot of the same kinds of people, is more open than A&M. They say this because UT is in a big city like Austin while A&M is more isolated in a place like Bryan/College Station.

I mention the College Republicans because they had posters basically saying the Black females who barely graduate can get into school easier than a White male with a 4.0. Many students objected to the flyers, even some White republican students, and some officers resigned. It even made national news. Anyway, most Black and Latino students do not view the College Republicans as friends.

I have also been a teaching assistant and have not had any problems with any student, regardless of their ethnicity. So I will not totally bash A&M. Frankly, what one will see at Texas A&M, they will see at places like LSU, Ole Miss, Georgia Tech (Yes GA Tech, this is even with its dual-degree program with the AU Center.), Georgia State (even though it is in downtown Atlanta), Michigan, UMass, Dartmouth, etc. A&M is not alone.

As for the editor, he has stated very conservative views, especially on affirmative action. Sure, he is Latino. But Latinos can be conservative.

But I will say this. In order for A&M and other PWCs to change drastically, American society must change drastically. Of course this is asking a lot.

See what I'm saying! I concur!

Originally posted by Attack Dog
Since Texas A & M is a public school that is STATE FUNDED, if African Americans in Texas go there or not THEIR MONEY DOES and they should be respected.

If the cartoon was Anti-Jewish you would have some swift action!

Yes... but...

OK Attack Dog? please tell me what swift action should be taken at A&M to rectify this situation. I would really like to know what you and others on the SWAC page intended to do to make your voices heard at A&M. Should we march, boycott, have sit-ins, write letters, send hate mail? what???

EB has a wonderful point? and I think it?s a point that can only really be understood by people that have been in the situation and by Blacks that have attended these types of PWCs. I remember when the College Republicans put up those flyers? it was a BIG DEAL. I went to the meetings and all of the hoopla that came after that? but still the MENTALITIES need to change. That will take time? and it will take patient Blacks to put themselves in the situation to make the change happen.

Re: Yes... but...

Originally posted by blaquebuterfly
I would really like to know what you and others on the SWAC page intended to do to make your voices heard at A&M. Should we march, boycott, have sit-ins, write letters, send hate mail? what???

It should start with the African American GRADUATES and current students of A&M to initiate a retaliation. Next, a wave of support from others should come forth. If it's own graduates and students don't stand up against it's own university why should others?

All your ideas would be good whith the exception of the hate mail. Others would apply as well.

1. Suspend the Editor (From the Paper)
2. Investigate the author and the motives
3. Punish all involved

Call, fax, write, and email not only the school, but the state legislature as well (voting pressure). Find out who the dominant alums are, which are more than likely business people, contact and put pressure on them and their businesses to denounce and help change the problem.

The vote and the dollar will bring about a change in people, ask George Wallace!

Any black high school athlete being recruited should see this and other incidents at schools like Auburn, Ole Miss, and other schools like them.

Why should others??? Because it?s ?others? that are complaining about the situation. My point is this? don?t just sit back and complain and complain and dog the school and DO NOTHING!!! If it concerns you so much, then make your concerns known. It should not matter what school you went/go to. A good example is the situation that occurred at Auburn. I know people on this board that wrote letters and spoke out on that issue? yet they didn?t attend Auburn. What is the difference here? If I can?t stand something going on at TSU you had better believe I would let them know how I feel about it. Did I go to TSU? no. But as an African American it?s my DUTY to speak on what moves me. I don?t think it does anything to sit back like Black folks love to do and complain about it for a little while until it wears off? and then do nothing.

The Black Aggies are in pursuit of action by the Battalion and the University. Because the Battalion is protected under the constitution (free speech and free press) they are not going to do anything drastic like stop the paper or anything. That would solve nothing. I am expecting a public apology by the editors of the Battalion. BSA (Black Student Association? actually they changed their name) is expecting to take action if a public apology is not stated. I am not too sure if they are trying to get the editor to resign? they would not lose anything since they just hired him anyway.

So what am I going to do? I am going to see what happens next. If it comes down to it and the right actions are not meet, then I will move forward.

I think it?s VERY sad that people compartmentalize responsibility. If you are affected by something? do something. Don?t sit back and say, ?oh well they should do something first?. This type of stuff goes on everyday at PWCs with a history like A&M?s. It won?t stop until Blacks as a COLLECTIVE UNIT, regardless of what school they attended, do what is necessary to change mentalities? and not just deal with isolated incidents.

With all that being said, why don't you organize us and give us a plan of action to follow in your footsteps.

OK... here is step 1

If you really want to keep up with what the Battalion is printing on a daily basis or want to keep up with what the students and alumni are doing about this issue, here is the link to the Battalion?s site: http://www.thebatt.com/

Here is the article in today?s paper regarding the cartoon. There is a place at the bottom of the site (where this article is found) for feedback. Maybe some of you would like to give the Battalion yours.

EDITORIAL :

REFLECT ON MLK January 18, 2002

Sometimes, positive initiatives can emerge from misconceptions. The Battalion is optimistic, after meeting with representatives from the African-American Student Coalition (AASC), that the controversy raised over a cartoon called racist will be such a case. The celebration of Martin Luther King Jr. Day on Monday creates the proper atmosphere to reflect on the realities of the racial climate and racial perception at Texas A&M.

Students easily recognize MLK Day as one of the select holidays that merits a day off from classes. Unfortunately, many Aggies do not take the time to consider why the MLK holiday is significant. King was one of the most influential leaders of the 20th century. He led the civil rights movement during its most critical time in U.S. History, and inspired millions of people from all races to seek to understand each other and break racial barriers.

The Battalion maintains that the cartoon was not meant to be interpreted as racist. But in a world where perception is everything, Mariano Castillo, Battalion editor in chief, is committed to modifying the factors and criteria that are considered before publishing a cartoon. Cartoons that may lend themselves to misunderstanding will be avoided, as The Battalion stands for diversity and equality.

The ideal of progress in racial equality that King fought for resonates strongly at A&M, where great strides have been achieved in the last decades. There is still work to be done, but those who believe that A&M remains an intolerant place or that certain groups feel unwelcome in the Aggie community are simply ignorant and small-minded. As The Battalion learned from the cartoon that ran Monday, perception is a measuring stick to judge by. If students and administrators perceive that racism is an ingrained part of Aggie culture, it perpetuates the problem. The climate of equality that King sought is not a lost cause at A&M. It just needs some direction and a clear definition of what the real issues are.

For this reason, The Battalion has proposed a forum for minority leaders on campus, where the issues that were brought up by the cartoon can be examined and discussed. What do different groups perceive as racist? What are the biggest challenges our University faces regarding race? How can understanding be fostered among all Aggies? These are the types of questions that the forum will address, and that will be reported by the newspaper. It is unfortunate that a controversy arose over a cartoon, but it is refreshing to see mature leadership seeks out the positive opportunities that may come of it.

We urge all students to reflect about the meaning of MLK Day and how it relates to campus life.

"How far have we come?" was one of the points King often stressed. The Battalion honors King's memory by offering an answer in light of the recent controversy: We have come far enough to respect open dialogue and work together to raise the understanding of race on our campus.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
did not know their minority rate is that low. Half play ball anyway. The hispanics thnk their white at A&M. The blacks hang together. Why go there if your going to hang around your own kind?

A&M doesn't care about you unless you make money for them. That's why half of them run away over the weekend to PV to hang out with their own kind.

a hispanic with a degree is your worst nightmare. They turn their backs so fast on their own it is pitiful. Worst than a oreo

TPF, you and I agree on something......whaaaaaaaatttt

Originally posted by The Panther Fan
a hispanic with a degree is your worst nightmare. They turn their backs so fast on their own it is pitiful. Worst than a oreo

I couldn't agree with you more....it's so sad what I encounter each and everyday in the workforce, and for some strange reason almost all my supervisors have been hispanic since I've been in Texas. My current super has a degree. Check this out: her mother and father speaks mainly spanish and spoke very little english until her latter years, but this hefa doesn't know a lick of spanish. She doesn't even understand the language...WTF, your parents speak it fluently on a daily basis and you don't even understand it....:smh: Hell, I know more spanish than she does.

She dates nothing but white boys too.....SAD. :rolleyes:

The hispanics thnk their white .

And did you know that there is no classification of hispanic when it comes to race on your drivers license or when you are arrested. All hispanics are classified as white. You have white, black and asian.

Re: Re: Yes... but...

Say that again! I attended a PWC before I woke up and went to SU... At my PWC... they carried the confederate flag in the mascots hand...the mascot is white... AND ... they prohibited the fraternities from allowing offcampus guests at their frat parties because they said the locals started trouble against their students..."

They also allowed the SGA to issue information on the candidates for governer...the candidates were David Duke and Edwin Edwards....They had a whole isht load of David Duke (ex Klan member) paraphenalia...and a little stash of Edwards information. They left the Edwards info on a small table, but they had lots of people handing out Duke's info....

Ummm, the blacks at this univesity had the stupid azz flag removed from the mascots hand... the Sons of the South are no longer allowed to carry that dumb flag...and well...the frats still can't have offcampus guests at their parties....

PREJUDICE was not the word....

LET me give you a similar situation with the newspaper and a cartoon that happened AT my PWC... SGA members (black and white) were scrambling to get people for the annual Homecoming concert....and for the comedy show on campus... Well the blacks were trying to get the black comedian who makes all the noises with his mouth....and some other black entertainment for homecoming along with what the whites wanted... A big fuss was put up..... well...the black entertainment showed...Not many whites showed up for it....

The school paper ran a cartoon with images of black people in a jungle...the black people had overly exaggerated features and were hanging in trees... the caption read.... "If a tree falls in the forrest and no one is there to hear it, did it make a sound?" ........

The blacks were outraged....not at the caption but the photo that accompanied... Not much was done... the white folks are still white folks...

Originally posted by C-LeB28

It should start with the African American GRADUATES and current students of A&M to initiate a retaliation. Next, a wave of support from others should come forth. If it's own graduates and students don't stand up against it's own university why should others?

Originally posted by Fiyah

And did you know that there is no classification of hispanic when it comes to race on your drivers license or when you are arrested. All hispanics are classified as white. You have white, black and asian.

This explains why Sanchez was listed as white ...Sanchez, the dude who opposed Lee Brown for Mayor in Houston....

To each his own...

The blacks hang together. Why go there if your going to hang around your own kind?

A&M doesn't care about you unless you make money for them. That's why half of them run away over the weekend to PV to hang out with their own kind.

Panther Fan? are you speaking from personal experience? Did you attend A&M and have a hard time or something? I didn?t think so. The comment about A&M not caring about you unless you are making money for them is a generalization of ANY university with a heavily supported and costly athletic program. People automatically assume that a ?regular student? is not being taken care of by the university because they are not a moneymaker. I disagree? and I speak from personal experience. During the years I was at A&M I never once felt unsupported by the university, professors, classmates, dorm mates, or anyone. I felt at home in both minority and non-minority student organizations, and I allowed myself to enjoy the culture. Obviously other people thought something was enticing about the place too considering that the weekends we (black folks) weren?t heading to PVU, y?all were making the trip up highway 6 to visit A&M folk. But I digress?

Now? to answer the question, ?why go there if you are going to hang around your own kind?? let me break this down for you. People have a humanistic need to be around what is like them? their own kind. That is why the majority of the people that post on this board went to a HBCU? to be surrounded by their own kind. When you do choose to attend a school where your own kind is only represented by 3% of the population then yes, they will cling to each other. That only makes sense? most groups cling to each other.

But the bottom line is?

TO EACH HIS OWN!!!!!

There are some Blacks that only want to live in a world that is Black? they want to be surrounded by Black every day, all day, all of the time? and there is nothing particularly wrong with that (while you are in college). And there are some Blacks that can take the day-to-day stresses and drama associated with a PWC. It all depends on your personality and what you are willing to go through for your education. But that is the bottom line? EDUCATION. No matter what school you went to, HBCU or PWC, we all got our education? and that is something NO MAN can ever take away.

since my college days came to an end, I do not see a large group of blacks on a daily basis. I will appreciate a HBCU. Where else can you be yourself 24/7? At A&M, folks are trying to impress one another so you already know backstabbing occurs

Only event blacks ran to A&M for was Greek Olympiad or a race relations conference. A&M folks are partly responsible for selling out our Homecoming Step Shows.

Thanks a lot.

As for personal experience. I don't know a lot about you but I assume your not a graduate from a inner-city school who lived the hard life and is easily stereotyped. Try being one of them at A&M. Lets see if the Chinese club will let you hang with them.

If their at A&M, 9 times out of 10 their hanging out at PV with their buddies or their buddies are coming to them if they have no transportation.

As I said before, Texas A&M is a very conservative school. As it was said before, it has that old south conservatism. People pass the attitudes along to their kids and grandchildren.

Along with its size, a Black student will have to make very good use of their survival skills. A place like this can be like a survival of the fittest for a brother or sister, which I do not necessarily think is always a good thing. Black students, actually any student, need to know the people who can help a person graduate. This is not the easiest thing to do.

The school has over 43,000 students. In engineering there are over 7,000 undergraduate students, which makes it the largest engineering school in the nation. The 7,000 is more students that are at PV total. (My preference is that students do not attend schools with such large classes-especially in engineering.) Despite one's ethnic group (Black, White, Latino, etc.), the large class sizes and student to teacher ratio, can make it tough on a student.

Now, I have experienced life at PWCs and HBCUs. Those who know me know that I prefer life at the HBCU. The support system and encouragement that I received from PV will last me a lifetime. There are things that HBCUs can and will provide that PWCs cannot or will not. But I will give credit to a Engineering and Academic Programs Office (I think that is the name.) at A&M. If Black students are smart (This is not always the case.), they will take advantage of the office, and the tough times for them will be made a little easier. Places like these can give a student support where there is none. No. It did not replace PV for me. It could not. But it was better that they were there as oppose to not being there.

Again this particular editor has stated some very conservative views in the past. This is not the first time I have had a problem with his comments. It would not surprise me if he would be one of those Latinos, degree or no degree, who will turn on his own people. But it is just my bet. I do not know the guy.

Again this happens at a lot of PWCs across the nation. During the South Africa protests during the ‘80s, there were a lot of incidents at some Ivy League schools. So it is not just at Texas A&M. But this is a case where Texas A&M got caught up in the news. It is the response to the cartoon from the school and paper that I will be paying attention.

Excuse me for the length of this post. But there are things that I thought I should share.

Back