Tentative FA&MU 2004 Football Schedule

Jafus (Thinker)

As posted on the MEACFANS and ONNIDAN Bulletin Boards

Below is probably what our schedule will be for next year. Keep in mind it is not law yet, but I wanted to give you an idea of the games we will play next year.

Sept 4th- Illinois (Champagne IL)
Sept 11- Okalahoma (Norman OK)
Sept 18- Southern Methodist Univ (Tallahassee)
Sept 25- Tennessee St (Atlanta)
Oct 2- Arkansas St (Tallahassee)
Oct 9th- Virgina Tech (Blacksburg VA)
Oct 16th- Tulane (Moblie AL)
Oct 23rd or 30th- Troy State (Tallahassee)
Nov 6th- Toledo (Tallahassee)
Nov 20th (Bethune Cookman) Orlando
Dec 4th Florida International University (Miami

Jafus,

You beat me to it. If all games come into fruition, it looks like a good schedule with some "winnable" games. I see 6 maybe 7 games that they can win.

Prognosis:

4-7,5-6 or 6-5

Florida International are they D1aa in football or D1a? I see at least 3 wins over Arkansas State, Bethune Cookman and Florida International.

I have to agree, if this is the schedule that stays, FAMU has done a great jobe of mixing in money games, with games that they have a shot at winning. And getting SMU, Troy, Toledo, and Arkansas St. to come to Tally Ho seems huge to me.......

I see 4 winnable games........

Originally posted by Suge
I see 4 winnable games........

I only see three, if that! :rolleyes:

Wave might play Rattlers

Football series with FAMU in the works
Tuesday January 06, 2004

By Fred Robinson
Staff writer

Tulane athletic director Rick Dickson confirmed Monday that the university is close to signing an agreement with Florida A&M following more than a month of discussions.

Dickson said a deal for a three-game series in football with the Tallahassee, Fla., school could happen any day.

"We're talking to (Florida A&M)," Dickson said. "We haven't contracted anything at this point, but we are entertaining and have been in discussions for six weeks or so. It appears favorable that it will happen."

The two schools have met in basketball, but this would be their first in football.

Dickson said he and Florida A&M's interim athletic director J.R.E. Lee, who spearheaded the school's successful petition last year to move to Division I-A, began talking about playing during Lee's visit to New Orleans in early December.

Dickson said the three-game series will be a two-for-one deal. He said Florida A&M will play in New Orleans twice, but the site of the Tulane road game hasn't been determined.

"We've talked about playing in Miami, Jacksonville (Fla.), Atlanta and Mobile (Ala.)," Dickson said. "They look at the markets that are good for them to be in."

The Green Wave currently has five home games slated for next season with one open date. Dickson said the situation with schools jumping conferences forced Tulane to seek another non-conference opponent.

Tulane already has signed a four-year deal with Rice as a non-conference opponent, but beginning in 2005, Rice will join Tulane as a member of Conference USA. Their games will then become league games, Dickson said.

Florida A&M has been a member of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, but will be a Division I-A independent next season. The Rattlers were 6-6 this past season.

Fred Robinson can be reached at frobinson@timespicayune.com or (504) 826-3412.

http://www.nola.com/tulane/t-p/football/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1073372179319420.xml

Dec 4th Florida International University (Miami)

I guess I need to change that to 5 winnable games. Two 1-AA teams, FIU new to 1-A, and SMU just went winless in 03! ASU is a sunbelt team. that doesn't equal juggernaut!

I guess I need to change that to 5 winnable games. Two 1-AA teams, FIU new to 1-A, and SMU just went winless in 03! ASU is a sunbelt team. that doesn't equal juggernaut!

Florida International has a bevy of talent returning from their squad which made it deep into the 1-AA playoffs. SMU, although a mid-tier, lower level conference will put the spanking on FamU for the simple fact that they are not a start-up program, but already have an established foundation. Fam doesn't! :rolleyes:

As for the rest of the teams, I think they're toss-ups!! Expect Fam to have some close games, but don't expect them to pull a 5 win season! :cool:

To The Board,

All the programs listed have Division I level talent. There rule that requires a NCAA program to play like 2/3 of their schedule against their active NCAA level of competition. If you are operating at the NCAA Divisiona I A level, then 2/3 of schedule must be against NCAA Division I A competition.

On the schedule listed they are playing two schools at the NCAA Division I AA level i.e. Tennessee State, OVC and Bethune-Cookman, MEAC.

They are scheduled to play one school that will be at the provisional NCAA Division I A level i.e. Florida International University, SunBelt Conference.

They are scheduled to play three schools that are BCS members at the NCAA Division I A level i.e. Illinois, Big 10 (11); Oklahoma, Big XII; and Virginia Tech, ACC.

They are scheduled to play five schools that are non-BCS members at the NCAA Division I A level i.e. Southern Methodist University, Conference USA; Arkansas State, SunBelt Conference; Tulane, Conference USA; Troy State, SunBelt Conference; and Toledo, MAC.

So they are scheduled to play 2 NCAA Division I AA programs and 9 NCAA Division I A programs. One of the NCAA requirements is for the a program to play 5 home games or 4 homes games SMU, Arkansas State, Troy State, and Toledo and 1 game a designated neutural Tulane (Moblie AL) site. From the above schedule it looks like they have meet that requirement.

Originally posted by coldsweat
Florida International has a bevy of talent returning from their squad which made it deep into the 1-AA playoffs. SMU, although a mid-tier, lower level conference will put the spanking on FamU for the simple fact that they are not a start-up program, but already have an established foundation. Fam doesn't! :rolleyes:

As for the rest of the teams, I think they're toss-ups!! Expect Fam to have some close games, but don't expect them to pull a 5 win season! :cool:

Florida International, did not go to the NCAA playoffs last year, that was FAU.

Carry on!

FAMU barely won 5 Meac games how in the hell do you see them winning 5 of these games... Troy State is going to kill FAMU. Did yall see what they did to Kansas State this year.

Originally posted by DAHILL
FAMU barely won 5 Meac games how in the hell do you see them winning 5 of these games... Troy State is going to kill FAMU. Did yall see what they did to Kansas State this year.

:idea: I don't think they did!!!!

I think FAMU loss 6 starters because of their declaration of 1-A including the starting QB from Clemson. I would not be suprised if FAMU is much stronger this year. Ole Billy Joes is a winner and that should not be discounted.

Originally posted by JROCK
I think FAMU loss 6 starters because of their declaration of 1-A including the starting QB from Clemson. I would not be suprised if FAMU is much stronger this year. Ole Billy Joes is a winner and that should not be discounted.

what yall are expecting in famu next year as far as wins, is like expecting a baby to crawl as soon as he comes out his mothers' womb! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by JROCK

common now..... the ONLY reason they got the 6 starters are because they were D1AA.... those days are over. Do you actually think a D1 transfer will be willing to sit out a year to transfer to FAMU???? In that case they will just go to another major D1 school. FAMU's success was based off of D1 transfers and those days are over.

Sept 4th- Illinois (Champagne IL) L
Sept 11- Okalahoma (Norman OK) L
Sept 18- Southern Methodist Univ (Tallahassee) L
Sept 25- Tennessee St (Atlanta) Winnable, but leaning toward loss-- TnSU will return Anthony and possibly Adrian McPherson
Oct 2- Arkansas St (Tallahassee) very winnable
Oct 9th- Virgina Tech (Blacksburg VA) L
Oct 16th- Tulane (Moblie AL) L
Oct 23rd or 30th- Troy State (Tallahassee) L-- Troy State should be ahead of Famu at this point
Nov 6th- Toledo (Tallahassee) L
Nov 20th (Bethune Cookman) Orlando winnable, but BC's had their number of late
Dec 4th Florida International University (Miami) L

I see three winnable games, and those certainly aren't givens. Arkansas State is the only legitimately weak team on the schedule.

Originally posted by HBCUs
Sept 4th- Illinois (Champagne IL) L
Sept 11- Okalahoma (Norman OK) L
Sept 18- Southern Methodist Univ (Tallahassee) L
Sept 25- Tennessee St (Atlanta) Winnable, but leaning toward loss-- TnSU will return Anthony and possibly Adrian McPherson
Oct 2- Arkansas St (Tallahassee) very winnable
Oct 9th- Virgina Tech (Blacksburg VA) L
Oct 16th- Tulane (Moblie AL) L
Oct 23rd or 30th- Troy State (Tallahassee) L-- Troy State should be ahead of Famu at this point
Nov 6th- Toledo (Tallahassee) L
Nov 20th (Bethune Cookman) Orlando winnable, but BC's had their number of late
Dec 4th Florida International University (Miami) L

I see three winnable games, and those certainly aren't givens. Arkansas State is the only legitimately weak team on the schedule.

I expect FAMU to go the JUCO route. The only games that FAMU does not stand a chance to win are VaTech, Illinois, and Oklahoma. I think that if the others are all winnable depending on what FAMU returns and what they can bring in. I am sure that there are also going to be some problems with scholarships since Joe can't split them. Recruiting for FAMU should be interesting. He may have to let some people go to bring in what he needs.

another thing... just because a D1 team isnt good in their conference doesnt mean they are not WAY better than a D1AA team (which FAMU is IMO).... people on here would have sworn GSU would beat the hell out of San Jose State if the two teams had not played.

Notice that I said WINNABLE!! Meaning they will have a chance to win. SMU was winless last season. FIU is a start up program for 1-A too. And Arkansas St. is no powerhouse. I don't know exactly what FAM has coming back. I do know they were hurt by loosing some transfers that will be eligible this season. But even still, those are winnable games.....

MH I guess I should have just said SMU and Toledo. Considering this is FAM forst season in 1-A, I didn't expect them to get any 1-A programs outside of the SE to come to Tally. Toledo rarely leaves the midwest......

SUge,

I don't think Tulane and Troy are that far out of reach. The last time FAMU and Troy met (last year), it was not exactly a blowout. Also, poor SU teams did okay against Tulane (all things considered).

LOL. Ya'll got a lot of faith in FAM, but I'll have to see these victories to believe it. JUCOs and transfers are always 'ify' people to rely on..... or at least that's what folks on here will be stressing when JSU unveils a recruiting class dominated by these types in February.

Okay, I'll consider SMU as winnable and stretch the winnable games number to 4, but that's honestly all I see.

Originally posted by coldsweat
what yall are expecting in famu next year as far as wins, is like expecting a baby to crawl as soon as he comes out his mothers' womb! :rolleyes:

I dont know if you read my earlier post but it stated

Prognosis:

4-7, 5-6 or 6-5

I don't think the range is out of the realm of possibility. Rolling your eyes want change my opinion.

common now..... the ONLY reason they got the 6 starters are because they were D1AA.... those days are over. Do you actually think a D1 transfer will be willing to sit out a year to transfer to FAMU???? In that case they will just go to another major D1 school. FAMU's success was based off of D1 transfers and those days are over.

I happen to believe that these games could go either way. My prognosis if you read the second post on this thread is:

4-7, 5-6 or 6-5

Back