SWAC football press conference – Week 2

He sent them there because he LOVED them. How many coaches you seen block athletes from going somewhere else? And alot of them was soft and couldn't take tough criticism. (Ex. Freshman OL that just left)

This was open season for players to transfer anywhere with any conditions put on them as to where they could go.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
The rain affected our play during the OBC but it comes with the territory. Both teams will have to play in those elements. We are a passing team so im sure it will show down what we do offensively. Defense need to be ready to play.
I agree about the rain and OBC. You from scoring only 7 to over 30.

I just checked out the game film, box score, and recruiting class. Yeah... I still got y'all winning this game. ULM is making the changes they need to make, but at a slower pace. Y'all have more top-tier talent than them. They have y'all on overall depth, but when it comes to strength vs strength (their offense vs. your defense) I think your depth there will help you as the game goes on.

ULM's offense is still trying to find their identity.
Their weak spots are along the o-line, especially at the tackle position. They are SLOW in containing the edge rush, and the QB couldn't pick up the blitzes that UK was throwing at them. If I was your DC I'd throw in a lot of disguised corner blitzes, but keep the middle of the field protected, because they will carve you up. Your DC has a tendency to leave y'all exposed here.

ULM's defense did not look good to me. That secondary will be exploited this year in FBS. They were getting burned all game long by Kentucky on the deep balls. If Shedeur just tests them every now and then, watch what will happen. The rest of their defense will soften up. It'll be interesting to see how some of your WRs fair in 1-on-1 situations. I'm expecting the Alabama xfer to have a big game.

Special Teams is where ULM has the big advantage, but that is why I think maintaining field position is the key to JSU's (and the SWAC's) victory.
You don't want it to come down to that unit having to make a play to win the game for you. Just worry about keeping the field long for them.
JSU absolutely was the better team last night, but gave the game away by giving them 3 points early in the game after not converting on 4th down on their 1st drive of the game. Instead of keeping the field long for ULM that gave them an extra 3 points which really became the difference in the game (needing a TD vice a FG to win). Plus, Jackson's offense was too conservative at times. The one time Shedeur went deep was Lanier's TD catch. Should have attacked them deep more.

As the game got into the 4th Qtr, calls stopped going JSU's way, and you have to expect that when playing an FBS close. Just ask Alcorn.

JSU absolutely was the better team list night, but gave the game away by giving them 3 points early in the game after not converting on 4th down on their 1st drive of the game. Instead of keeping the field long for ULM that gave them an extra 3 points which really became the difference in the game (needing a TD vice a FG to win). Plus, Jackson's offense was too conservative at times. The one time Shedeur went deep was Lanier's TD catch. Should have attacked them deep more.

As the game for into the 4th Qtr, calls stopped going JSU's way, and you have to expect that when playing an FBS close.

They actually missed that first FG. It was the penalty (lining up over the center) that gave them life on that 1st FG

He didn't have a lot of time to attack them deep often. ULM's dline was the strength of their team. They whipped us upfront all night. And you're spot on by the calls.

We played pretty bad (turnovers and penalties) against a fbs team. Not going to win any close ones like that

Last edited:
Back