Swac Football Media Day - Day 1 Spring 2021

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member
Today is Day1 of the Swac Football Media Day.

Event coverage will kick-off on the SWAC Digital Network at 10:00 am CST

Alabama A&M

Connell Maynor- 10:00 am-10:20 am

Alabama State

Donald Hill-Eley- 10:25 am-10:45 am

Alcorn State

Fred McNair- 10:50 am-11:10 am

Grambling State

Broderick Fobbs- 11:15 am-11:35 am

Jackson State

Deion Sanders- 11:40 am-12:00 pm

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Dr McClelland said that JSU, ALcorn & Miss Valley will play every year so that means with a 8 game conference schedule JSU & Valley will play their 5 division games, Alcorn and 2 other games from the West that will rotate some kind of way. Now when you put it the other way around that makes Alcorn play their 5 division games, JSU & Miss Valley and only 1 team from the East. Not sure how they balance the rest of the conference with it being so imbalanced with those 3 schools.

I remember being old enough to remember when Dr. McClelland said that Alcorn, Valley and JSU would still play each other no matter who moved to the West (despite most knowing Alcorn making the most sense)

Good times...

My ole Southern Jags got 2 of the 5 top Head Coaches of all time Coach Ace and Coach Pete!! Man Coach Rob trembling in his grave when he hear those 2 names.

My ole Southern Jags got 2 of the 5 top Head Coaches of all time Coach Ace and Coach Pete!! Man Coach Rob trembling in his grave when he hear those 2 names.

That's a whole lotta coaching know-how in that Top 5 ...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Dr McClelland said that JSU, ALcorn & Miss Valley will play every year so that means with a 8 game conference schedule JSU & Valley will play their 5 division games, Alcorn and 2 other games from the West that will rotate some kind of way. Now when you put it the other way around that makes Alcorn play their 5 division games, JSU & Miss Valley and only 1 team from the East. Not sure how they balance the rest of the conference with it being so imbalanced with those 3 schools.

I understand the desire to keep natural rivalries together, but how will the maintenence of these "Mississippi rivalries" impact the scheduling of the other SWAC schools?

I understand the desire to keep natural rivalries together, but how will the maintenence of these "Mississippi rivalries" impact the scheduling of the other SWAC schools?
EXACTLY!.... Im sorry... no disrespect (and Im sure they feel the same way).... I dont want to play Texas SO and PV every year for travel reasons. I understand that the commish is a Mississippi guy... but his job isn't to please his friends and family in Mississippi.

Reporter said:
Question: With the movement to get more high-profile recruits to HBCUs, have you found kids are more open to come to a place like Jackson State?

Coach Prime:

"It's not about coming to an HBCU. It's been about coming to play for us. Coming to this program to do something that hadn't been done. It takes a kid with courage, a kid that's confident, a kid that's progressive, a kid that's a forward thinker who's willing to do this.

I think the kids want to come to a program that gets them to the next level, that they're going to have an opportunity to make it to the next level. Wherever that is. If we can have that possibility, if we can have that same thought process as a kid that says he's going to play for Alabama, he knows that's a pipeline to the NFL.

We want that same thought process and we're going to have it. When you have several guys that were in the NFL coaching-wise and playing-wise, that's a tremendous possibility just based on the relationships that we have.

So yeah, we pray that it continues. But I think a kid should do what's best for the kid. If a kid thinks it's best to be here, go do it. If a kid thinks it's best to be elsewhere, you need to go do it. Because we don't want anyone to be here unhappy.

I told them yesterday, if you want to opt out, you don't have to wait to opt out. I've got a seat in the meeting room called 'The Portal.' We can put you there right now. You don't have to wait. You don't have to surprise me. Right there. They go in the portal right there. I'll walk you over and sit you right down in there and put a seatbelt on you and give you a video to sell you. I'm gonna tell all the good things about you. If you don't want to be here, I will help you leave.

I need the spot anyway.

Back