PVU 8,061
SU 7,650
Alb St 5,564
a&m 5,327
GSU 5,011
UAPB 3,792
Alcorn 3,565
Valley 2,468

I think we set another frosh record last month so from what I was told verbally, we're pushing close to 10K now. I'll try to get this clarified and w/ a link (source).

Being a student during the time when SU had 10K, at first, I was one of those Southernites that was frustrated about the enrollment numbers being down. Now, I've grown more optimistic about Southern's future in its leaders and the upcoming higher admissions standards. Sure SU is about to take a bigger enrollment hit; we're expecting it - but the quality of students we will attract will pay off for the school in the future. There are even plans on the table to restructure the physical campus and academic curriculum to serve those more advanced prepared students. Peace. :tup:

I think HBCU's should offer online courses and degrees also. That would help increase enrollment.

I think HBCU's should offer online courses and degrees also. That would help increase enrollment.

Online Executive MBA Program
(Master of Business Administration in Energy Finance)

Program Overview

The Online Executive MBA Program (eMBA) is a program uniquely designed to meet the challenging needs of mid-career professionals who wish to pursue an MBA degree with the least possible disruption to their professional and personal lives. The program is offered online and provides a finance/energy focus. The eMBA program combines the advanced business concepts of a master of business administration curriculum and prepares candidates to lead and manage organizations in the energy sector.

More information about the program, contact:

Dr. Amitava Chatterjee
Program Director and Professor of Finance
Office: (713) 313-7713; Email: Chatte_AA@tsu.edu

Blake E. Green, MBA
Program Coordinator
Office: (713) 313-7748; Email: GreenBE@tsu.edu

Online Executive MPA Program
(Master of Public Administration)

Program Overview

The Online Executive MPA Program (eMPA) is a curriculum uniquely designed to meet the growing demand for mid-career professionals in the public sector who wish to pursue an MPA degree. The program is conveniently offered online and provides a focuses on human resources, public policy, emergency management, and non-profit management and administration.

The eMPA program combines the advanced skill concepts of a master of public administration program and prepares administrators to lead and manage organizations in the area of public service.

Dr. Michael O. Adams
Program Director and Professor of Public Administration (eMPA)
Office: (713) 313-7760
Email: Adams_MO@tsu.edu

Courtney Lytle
Office (713) 313.7760
Email: lytlecj@tsu.edu

Online Master's Degree in Curriculum & Instruction
(Bilingual Education Specialization)

Program Overview

The Online Master's Degree in Curriculum & Instruction with Bilingual Education Specialization is a program that is offered totally online, thus giving students and working professionals a flexible schedule they can control. This online program uses state-of-the-art technology, making instruction engaging and interactive. The courses are designed in a sequential format with the focus on students being able to access the content rather than having to grapple with technology. The master's program focuses primarily on Spanish/English bilingual instruction.

Dr. Cherry Gooden, Chair
Department of Curriculum & Instruction
College of Education
Office Phone: 713-313-1922
Email: Gooden_cr@tsu.edu

Dr. Debra Hill, Associate Chair,
Phone: 713-313-7325
Email: Hill_dm@tsu.edu

Dr. Margarita Lara, Associate Professor
Phone: 713-313-7501
Email: lara_mx@tsu.edu

Clareatha McDonald, Administrative Assistant,
Phone: 713-313-7501
Email: McDonald_cx@tsu.edu

CLEB,
Are you guys aggressively marketing these programs and what about the Bachelors programs. That is where UOP makes a killing at?

CLEB,
Are you guys aggressively marketing these programs and what about the Bachelors programs. That is where UOP makes a killing at?

True the UOP is making a killing off of undergrad and grad degrees online. When I finished the MBA program from the UOP back in 04, I went to the graduation ceremony in Phoenix and there were at least 1,000+ people getting degress. I met people from all over the world getting degrees from there.

JSU was growing quickly back in the day from 6,000 to 8,000 in a five year period but now we have higher standards and we've partnered with Hinds Community College with a 2+2 program. SU will increase their numbers with quality students. I prefer quality over quantity anyday. JSU only has enough dorm space for 2,739 students, if we had more dorms we would could reach the 10,000 mark easily.

I saw where NCAT now has 10,000 which was a hugh jump from 8,000 in the last two years. Quicker higher numbers in two years can be detrimental for the university if the students aren't prepared.

Texas Southern has a horrible retention rate. They are ranked in the bottom feeder schools in retention but back in the day they wanted numbers (quantity over quality). This method has came back to bite them in the butts.

Being a student during the time when SU had 10K, at first, I was one of those Southernites that was frustrated about the enrollment numbers being down. Now, I've grown more optimistic about Southern's future in its leaders and the upcoming higher admissions standards. Sure SU is about to take a bigger enrollment hit; we're expecting it - but the quality of students we will attract will pay off for the school in the future. There are even plans on the table to restructure the physical campus and academic curriculum to serve those more advanced prepared students. Peace. :tup:

Texas Southern 10,858
JSU 8,689
PVU 8,061
SU 7,650
Alb St 5,564
a&m 5,327
GSU 5,011
UAPB 3,792
Alcorn 3,565
Valley 2,468

Dude where did you get that figure for Grambling at?????? I just called enrollment management on campus and they have not released the final figure yet... I was told your number is INCORRECT!!!!! I won't go into detail on my conversation but if you have access to the Hall Of Greatness you can get the low down over there!!!:D:D

Why come on here with the LIES????? SMH

No need in you trying to call cause they are not going to tell you anything... That final number i'm told won't come out until possibly Monday.

Texas Southern has a horrible retention rate. They are ranked in the bottom feeder schools in retention but back in the day they wanted numbers (quantity over quality). This method has came back to bite them in the butts.

tomcat1, ever thought our retention rate was attributed to our once open enrollment admissions policy that we no longer use? Since the policy was changed in 2008, it will be a phase we go thru where our retention rates will systematically increase. Check retention rates with University of Houston - Downtown (a current open enrollment university.

University of Phoenix. I think we can bite into their market.

Easily. But one will have to have a very great almost fault-tolerant computing/telecommunic infrastructure in place :swink:. lol UofP made that investment eons ago. :read: BTW, PVAMU does have "distance learning" and has had it for a while now but it never expanded to include quite a few other undergrad degrees outside of nursing, one of PV's known fors. I know factually during the early-90s, a distance program was setup for mathematics undergrad; however, since being forced, understandibly, to function w/in the consistent realm of the Texas A&M University system, that program was disbanded. So, unless aTm, our system, approves it, we won't have it @ PVAMU, other than the nursing program.

Dude where did you get that figure for Grambling at?????? I just called enrollment management on campus and they have not released the final figure yet... I was told your number is INCORRECT!!!!! I won't go into detail on my conversation but if you have access to the Hall Of Greatness you can get the low down over there!!!:D:D

No need in you trying to call cause they are not going to tell you anything... That final number i'm told won't come out until possibly Monday.

You know, when tomcat posts you automatically know to pull up GOOGLE because that's what you'll need to get the truth...

I called the Director of Enrollment Management and of course the official Fall 2010 figures aren't certified yet so he didn't give a figure. When I mentioned 10,858 he chuckled a bit.

What I can confirm/certify are the Spring 2009 Texas Southern enrollment at 9,099 (with reference) http://em.tsu.edu/ie/facts_spring.php

UPDATE: as of yesterday unofficial Fall 2010 enrollment is at 9,620 per Texas Southern University Office of Enrollment Management.

Okay, now you can go on with your degrading tomcat in 3..... 2..... 1..... GO!!!

Last edited:
Dang brother don't get that upset. University of Louisiana Systems
Grambling's numbers went down back in the early 2000's when they were placed on probation from SACS. They lost over half their students.

Last edited:
For Profit institutions are taking a huge hit lately in the media...

For-profit colleges fighting proposal to cut aid
Feds' plan to limit loans for programs with high-default rates called unfair

By JEANNIE KEVER
HOUSTON CHRONICLE
Sept. 6, 2010, 11:30PM

The federal government is proposing to cut financial aid for some students in the fastest-growing sector of higher education — for-profit colleges and universities — saying they put students on a fast track to failure.

The schools are fighting back, arguing the proposal would hurt the neediest students.

"This is really redlining," said Kevin Modany, CEO of ITT Educational Services, which has programs in 38 states, including Texas. "The data clearly demonstrates a disproportionate impact on minorities, nontraditional students, older Americans."

The proposal would limit financial aid and student loans for programs where fewer than 35 percent of graduates repay their loans.

It would apply to students in programs run by for-profit schools — many of them publicly traded, including ITT Technical Institute, Everest Institute, Westwood College and the University of Phoenix — as well as community college programs that don't lead to a two-year degree, including many job training programs.

Both sectors attract many minority and low-income students, including those who are the first in their families to attend college.

But virtually all of the programs at risk of losing federal funding are run by for-profit schools.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/facebook/7189083.html

Right Cleb,
I been in a few meetings at work and this issue has been discussed alot. UOP is getting a lot of minority students. I would like to see us all grow strong online UG programs and recruit our states.

CLebo you need to stop being so childish. You know that there are different figures on many websites. The site that list tsu as one of the worst colleges (washington monthly reports ya'lls enrollment at 11,000 so don't get mad at me for letting all those ill prepared students into tsu.

You know, when tomcat posts you automatically know to pull up GOOGLE because that's what you'll need to get the truth...

I called the Director of Enrollment Management and of course the official Fall 2010 figures aren't certified yet so he didn't give a figure. When I mentioned 10,858 he chuckled a bit.

What I can confirm/certify are the Spring 2009 Texas Southern enrollment at 9,099 (with reference) http://em.tsu.edu/ie/facts_spring.php

UPDATE: as of yesterday unofficial Fall 2010 enrollment is at 9,620 per Texas Southern University Office of Enrollment Management.

Okay, now you can go on with your degrading tomcat in 3..... 2..... 1..... GO!!!

Grambling's numbers went down back in the early 2000's when they were placed on probation from SACS. They lost over half their students.

Folks always gotta be upset when checking you LIARS!!!!! Bruh I'm just giving you the facts!!!!

Last edited:
Grambling's numbers went down back in the early 2000's when they were placed on probation from SACS. They lost over half their students

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Someone else can address you on this but I 'm not...:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Back