SWAC and FAMU... Who needed who?

BIG DAWG

It’s close but I would, FAMU needed the SWAC slightly more than other way around. But either way it was a good match as both could have survived on their own. I noticed though they left Bethune out of the conversation as it’s a given that B-CU was looking for a lifeline and we practically bailed them out.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

It’s close but I would, FAMU needed the SWAC slightly more than other way around. But either way it was a good match as both could have survived on their own. I noticed though they left Bethune out of the conversation as it’s a given that B-CU was looking for a lifeline and we practically bailed them out.

Well, they are in now, so isn't it a bit late to be asking that question??? Just saying.

The way the MEAC was crumbling, both FAMU and BCU needed lifelines. They needed the SWAC more than anything. The SWAC has been here over 100 years. Had they not been admitted, I like to think the SWAC would still be functioning just fine

Very fine. As we know, of the current members, only UAPB has left the SWAC (but they eventually came back). In other words, the SWAC has been stable for a while even with a few schools having shaky finances here and there (from PV back then to Valley now).

I had to correct some FAMU person on Twitter who had the audacity to look down on Valley and UAPB. We ain't the ones running to the MEAC. It's the other way around.

They’re getting their swac welcome in the form of the swac OGs initiating them in on the field LOL mvsu just get up for them like y’all do us... *snickers*

Yeah sometimes you have to do a Twitter and Facebook detox especially when those Florida schools starts with the nonsense. Keep in mind they were trashing the thought of the celebration bowl now they run to the swac so it’s evident they needed us.
Very fine. As we know, of the current members, only UAPB has left the SWAC (but they eventually came back). In other words, the SWAC has been stable for a while even with a few schools having shaky finances here and there (from PV back then to Valley now).

I had to correct some FAMU person on Twitter who had the audacity to look down on Valley and UAPB. We ain't the ones running to the MEAC. It's the other way around.

Truthfully geography is a bitch. HBCU football and and band culture needed the state of Georgia. We all can't sit here and say if 1AA football thrived in Georgia, both the MEAC and SWAC would be better. It just so happens that it doesn't and it effects both FAMU and BCU probably more than any other HBCUs football and band culture. We all need Georgia in play.

ASU and AAMU fans are very excited to have FAMU back on the schedule.
FAMU can't dodge AAMU anymore...we gave them a going away gift in Tallahassee when they left the SIAC for the MEAC. The obvious matchup that went on before 1979 is back. Both schools are now D1 FCS after a long break vs each other so this chapter of a renewed series will be interesting to see.BCC is also an old SIAC opponent we get to play again.

Truthfully geography is a bitch. HBCU football and and band culture needed the state of Georgia. We all can't sit here and say if 1AA football thrived in Georgia, both the MEAC and SWAC would be better. It just so happens that it doesn't and it effects both FAMU and BCU probably more than any other HBCUs football and band culture. We all need Georgia in play.
How many football-playing schools are here in Georgia? Are they all SIAC or Division 1 or NAIA? Other than Albany State, Morehouse, and Fort Valley, who are the others?

The way the MEAC was crumbling, both FAMU and BCU needed lifelines. They needed the SWAC more than anything. The SWAC has been here over 100 years. Had they not been admitted, I like to think the SWAC would still be functioning just fine
Yep! The SWAC would have continued to lose in the Celebration Bowl.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
The above article made reference to FAMU's traveling fanbase, stating that teams hosting FAMU would see an increase in attendance. But as for Southern University the opposite is true. FAMU's best-attended football game of the 2019 season was its home game against Southern University, where thousaands of SU fans traveled to Tallahasse to support the Jags.

Zero GIF by memecandy
How many Celebration Bowls has FAMU played in????

So what was all that stuff about finances and travel in those BOT meetings giving each school a good reason to move? Help us understand please 😂
Swac provided reduced travel costs for them and nothing substantially different of what Bethune currently had to do. Also the swac is more inline with the culture of the Florida schools than the meac in general. Plus the swac was not as restricted to merchandise and media opportunities.

The Florida schools give the swac access to essentially the entire state for recruitment, media markets, neutral site venues etc... and a monopoly of all major hbcu classics (Bayou, MCC, and Florida).Also you are getting two programs that can immediately compete for titles across the board.

What we have is a benefit based on convience rather than necessity. To say either needed the other is like saying you need the closest fast food spot to your residence.

Swac provided reduced travel costs for them and nothing substantially different of what Bethune currently had to do. Also the swac is more inline with the culture of the Florida schools than the meac in general. Plus the swac was not as restricted to merchandise and media opportunities.

The Florida schools give the swac access to essentially the entire state for recruitment, media markets, neutral site venues etc... and a monopoly of all major hbcu classics (Bayou, MCC, and Florida).Also you are getting two programs that can immediately compete for titles across the board.

What we have is a benefit based on convience rather than necessity. To say either needed the other is like saying you need the closest fast food spot to your residence.

….further proving why y’all needed the SWAC. Y’all just like to come on here and debate for the sake of it 😂

How many Celebration Bowls has FAMU played in????
We beat a NC A&T team two years in a row that won the Celebration Bowl. Also, because of post season probation NC A&T represented the MEAC in the last Celebration Bowl instead of FAMU.

Personally, I think it was a matter of serendipity.

The SWAC saw an opportunity to get stronger by addition, along with getting into those larger Florida markets

FAMU/BCU saw a lifeline out of the MEAC, along with the opportunity to reduce some travel costs and get some bigger box offices

Back