SU GSU leaving the SWAC?

thegooddoctor

The talk has once again surfaced regarding SU/GSU leaving the SWAC. Since the SWAC still has not found a commissioner and apparently the Council of presidents have dropped the ball it seems the SWAC is floundering.

New conference

SU
GSU
Nicholls State
Southeastern
Northwestern State
McNeese State
ULL ??
UL at Monroe????

Pros:

a. reduce travel costs
b. SU/GSU can draw large crowds
c. better confererence organization
d. maybe a TV contract

Cons:

a. PWC's don't have large following and only draw 10, 000 at home games
b. end of traditional long established rivalries.
c. officials would cheat for PWC's.

Unless the SWAC gets its act together it could lose two members.
It's been a year since they have had a commissioner. Can they hire a quality person for 75,000 per year? You get what you pay for.

I would assume they would be replaced by
Tuskigee and Morris Brown.

You forgot to mention....

Bayou Classic will not happen again in that conference. That's unless SU & Grambling agree to never compete for the conference title or go to the playoffs.

Dude, don't listen to the crap you heard. I know that neither school wants to give up that payday. If that's the case, the new commish should immediately make yall butts move it just for trying to leave the conference. Also, do you really believe what you posted?

Even I wish we could go to the playoffs, by moving all our conference games up one week and having the Championship the week before the playoffs kick-off.

Re: You forgot to mention....

Originally posted by Mike

Even I wish we could go to the playoffs, by moving all our conference games up one week and having the Championship the week before the playoffs kick-off.

Preach Brother Preach

This talk sounds familiar, many years ago, there was talk like that in Alabama, the conference would have been:

Alabama State
Alabama A & M
Jacksonville State
Samford
Troy State
UAB (at the time - they were D1AA)

USA for other than football sports

Good Luck to GSU and SU if they make the move.

Why would we join a new conference when BCF is enjoying a resurgence in overall attendance. Especially for GSU and SU in the Bayou Classic.

Now that GSU has expanded it's home game count to 4 plus the annual game in Shreveport, look for our conference affiliation to be unchanged. We have the flexibility in our scheduling to have out of conference games against MEAC, Southland, or an occassional D1 team.

Also, our association with schools within the SWAC extends beyond the field of athletic competition. We all share a unique history and common mission. That cannot be overlooked nor diminished in our own eyesight. We have survived all these years because our association and allegiance to each other. Let's keep it that way!

those schools would die of boredom at their games. SU and GSU would fill the pockets of the rest of the schools on the road and they would not get that when they are at home.

That will be the biggest mistake SU and GSU can make !! The comradery between other SWAC members will be missed. UAPB/AM&N made that mistake in 1970. The football program went to hell, along with the band and enrollment. PWC's fans just do not understand our trash talking and smack talking. They take it real personal. If SU and GSU are talking about leaving the SWAC, they need to reconsider that thought quick. Look at
Tennessee State, the only game their fans forward to is the Southern Heritage Classic with Jackson State. If they go,... tough!

Originally posted by Dtown Jag
I think this is just hearsay. I don't think we're going anywhere.

Hearsay indeed!!!! This talk seems to resurface once a year. Don't get me wrong... Eventually SU will likely aim for Div I-A but surely will not leave the SWAC for another I-AA conference. None of the I-AA schools on this list are going I-A anytime soon. The two I-A schools (ULL,ULM) on this list will probably be I-AA in the near future.

Originally posted by Jag Voice

Hearsay indeed!!!! This talk seems to resurface once a year. Don't get me wrong... Eventually SU will likely aim for Div I-A but surely will not leave the SWAC for another I-AA conference.

I agree..... if a move is to be made one day it would be up a notch to D-1A.

If we are only 1-AA in football then I rather stay 1-AA. SU's "big" budget would be a laughingstock when it comes to likes to UT and A&M. Eventually the time would come where they would have to play LSU and that could get real ugly. You already see what they do to you in basketball.

Originally posted by Blu Panther
If we are only 1-AA in football then I rather stay 1-AA. SU's "big" budget would be a laughingstock when it comes to likes to UT and A&M. Eventually the time would come where they would have to play LSU and that could get real ugly. You already see what they do to you in basketball.

If Southern did ever do it, I think they would try to make the move into a current conference and not go the independant route. We would gain nothing by being the next ULL or ULM. It would have to be a lower-tier DI-A conference, which means Southern would not have to worry about schools like UT, A&M, and LSU until they were ready to play them or possible bowl games, I guess. The conference wins would be enough for them to get eligible for a bowl, but whether they would be invited would be another story.

I would sincerely hope that SU fans would not have to see a Nebraska or Michigan 35 point drubbing just because their athletic department wants so more dough like poor assed ULL and ULM. I don't think many of us would allow that like THEY do.

I'm sorry, with the addition of PB in the conference, the SWAC has gotten better. PB played with teams in the early 90's. I remember we beat 4 out of 5 SWAC teams in 1990, only losing to SU by 3 pts at SU.

PB giving SU those close battle for 3 or 4 years in a row created a new rivalry.

PB/GSU has become a rivalry. Remember there was hardly any GSU fans at the RRC.

Don't let last year football season fool you. UAPB has a descent product in football. Name any other team in the nation that was independent for 20+ years, come off a 2 year death penalty, compete in the NAIA championship game one year removed from the death penalty, jump to D-1, build a multi million dollar stadium, and not be a push over.

I think that a move by SU and GSU out of the SWAC could be positive. Somebody is going to have to do it one day. If not, we are going to continue to beat up on each other for nothing.

Hmmm? Interesting.

If this is true, the SWAC better sack up and get this mess under control FAST.

SU could leave, one less arrogant to school to deal with. How could school in the ghetto talk about other schools? :confused:

SU could leave, one less arrogant to school to deal with. How could school in the ghetto talk about other schools? :confused:

It is so funny to see you :bawling: . Just face it puke view... we will always kick your school ass!

kick our azz in what? Benzene spills?

I opened the vault and found this:

SU barely wins in football
PV sweeps SU in volleyball (Houston east)
PV sweeps SU in men's hoops
PV takes series from SU in softball
SU sweeps PV in women's hoops
we split track events since we get all the 1st place titles but you all win the team titles due to stacking
you win in baseball and tennis

In the sports listed (excluding track since head to head is not a stat) you had a 4-3 edge in 2001-02. Judging by the stats listed I could not tell which school gives maximum scholarships or not. So if you call a 1-sport advantage kicking azz then you must be very happy to defeat us.

kick our azz in what? Benzene spills?

I opened the vault and found this:

SU barely wins in football
PV sweeps SU in volleyball (Houston east)
PV sweeps SU in men's hoops
PV takes series from SU in softball
SU sweeps PV in women's hoops
we split track events since we get all the 1st place titles but you all win the team titles due to stacking
you win in baseball and tennis

In the sports listed (excluding track since head to head is not a stat) you had a 4-3 edge in 2001-02. Judging by the stats listed I could not tell which school gives maximum scholarships or not. So if you call a 1-sport advantage kicking azz then you must be very happy to defeat us.

What are you drinking???? FOOTBALL ? I think not! Volleyball who cares... Softball who cares......track not likely.......Basketball ONE YEAR of wins what a :lmao: . What ever vault you opened up sure was not reality! I will say again in case you can't hear...me Puke View is SAD!

I give you facts you still talk around it, proof that Jag fans are nothing but tailgate riding, catfish lovin' one sport wonders.

I give you facts you still talk around it, proof that Jag fans are nothing but tailgate riding, catfish lovin' one sport wonders.

And puke view makes a fool of himself again! :lmao: Just face this fact.......LOSERS FOREVER !!!!!!!

Back