SU board plans to fire Nathan Haymer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope SU finds a good director fast. I hope they dont bring back Jackson. The BOOM got tired of beating up on him.

Mr J is playing golf and enjoying retirement. People forget he was Clinton High Band director for years and even when he came on board SU in the late 80s early 90s as an assistant under Doc, he was still the band director at Clinton High until he decided he couldn't do both jobs. So he has done well over 30 plus years in the La system. Plus kids are different these days. SU would have to pay him hella money to leave the good life he is living now.

Haymer set himself up for lawsuits. The band was participating in too many events/parades, there should be more oversight of the band's scheduled performances by SU administrators. Academics and study time should take precedence over excessive band performances.

Those parades are during Mardi Gras season. That last weekend, all schools are out from Friday to Wednesday unless something has changed in LA recently.

When you are arrogant... you better make sure your ducks are lined up.... Because SOMEBODY is going to come for you. He had a right to be arrogant... He was director of one of the top HBCU bands in the nation.... but he had to realize he isnt above the program. SU can replace him right now and not miss a beat. The program made him, he didnt make the program.

When you are arrogant... you better make sure your ducks are lined up.... Because SOMEBODY is going to come for you. He had a right to be arrogant... He was director of one of the top HBCU bands in the nation.... but he had to realize he isnt above the program. SU can replace him right now and not miss a beat. The program made him, he didnt make the program.

Haymer will easily be replaced and forgotten! If you can replace a legend (Greggs), I'm quite sure SU will easily replace an arrogant emotion driven nutcase.

There are plenty of schools that would gladly hire him. Despite his shortcomings, he is good at what he does and he has/had the Jukebox on fire. Nobody (up until last year Sonic Boom) was remotely fucking with them in the stands.

There are plenty of schools that would gladly hire him. Despite his shortcomings, he is good at what he does and he has/had the Jukebox on fire. Nobody (up until last year Sonic Boom) was remotely fucking with them in the stands.

Haymer has baggage, who would want to hire that?

Is Haymer officially gone?

No, his attorney brother is trying to bail him out, once again.
sbed_sleep_100-106.gif
sbed_sleep_100-110.gif

The future of the director of Southern University’s famed Human Jukebox remained up in the air Monday as he awaits the outcome of an internal investigation prompted by a recent lawsuit accusing him of requesting a kickback in order for the band to appear at an event for public school children.

University spokeswoman Janene Tate said Monday that nothing has changed, that Nathan Haymer remains the band director.

Members of the band, popularly known as the Human Jukebox, crowded into Southern’s Board of Supervisors meeting Friday morning, pleading the case for their band director to keep his job.

Haymer aroused their concerns the night before when spoke at a band banquet. There, according to those in attendance, the director, who took over the band in 2014, indicated that he had been asked to resign in lieu of potentially being fired and that he couldn’t hand out awards because they were in his office and he’d been locked out of the room.

Later Friday, the university released 270 pages of emails between Haymer and several New Orleans Mardi Gras krewes which included a few questionable requests by the band director. The emails were released pursuant to a public records request by WBRZ-TV and subsequently released to The Advocate.

Nathan Haymer has, with the exception of two terse posts on Facebook, said nothing publicly since he spoke Thursday night.

His brother and attorney, Niles Haymer, however, took the opposite tack.

On Saturday morning, Niles Haymer went on tear, posting multiple times on his personal Facebook page in defense of his brother and then announced he wasn’t speaking again. Reached Monday, Niles Haymer said he’s agreed to stop commenting publicly until his brother’s situation at Southern is resolved.

Starting at 6:51 a.m. Saturday, Niles Haymer had complained about “intentional biased reporting by the local media” that “is slanderous at best.” He argued his brother collected honorariums from having the band perform at events and parades, likening them tips and gratuities; he said they were not kickbacks, which he equated with a bribe. He posted copies of the prices charged by the band at Florida A&M University, another historically black college with a famous marching band; he noted that FAMU includes a specific line item charge for staff expenses, the same reason his brother was being paid extra.

“Mr. Nathan B. Haymer paid his staff with the funds, which was split four ways,” Niles Haymor wrote at one point. “In the contract it was written as an honorarium. This is the same practice that has been used in the past for the last two decades at SU and at other bands.”

Later on, the attorney addressed the lawsuit, filed in January, that sparked his brother’s job troubles.

“The civil suit is about a breach of contract allegation between the plaintiff and SU,” Niles Haymer wrote. “There was an allegation about a text message from three years ago that has been denied. SU cleared the Band Director over two years ago.

Tate said she would look into Niles Haymer’s assertions but did not have an answer on Monday. She said any outside income generated by the band is supposed to be handled by either the Southern University Foundation or the university's Alumni Federation, and that money is funneled back into band's university budget.

In the lawsuit against Nathan Haymer and Southern, Maranda White, the owner of Baton Rouge-based Octagon Media, alleges the band director reneged on band appearances after she refused to fulfill a "kickback" request, which she later brought to the attention of Southern officials.

According to the lawsuit, in 2015 White reached an agreement with Haymer for the Human Jukebox and the Dancing Dolls to be the main attraction at an event for various public schools.

But 10 days before the event in November, Haymer requested via text message that a check be written to him that would be hidden from the business, according to the lawsuit.

Southern University band director still in limbo, attorney brother defends him on social media | Education | theadvocate.com

Last edited:
Haymer set himself up for lawsuits. The band was participating in too many events/parades, there should be more oversight of the band's scheduled performances by SU administrators. Academics and study time should take precedence over excessive band performances.

Maybe so. He didn't do himself any favors by asking anyway. The best thing to do as a professor nowadays is to a. Not do the dirt that enters your mind b. Not do the dirt that enters your mind and c. Get into film, professional music and RESEARCH. And if you're too lazy or not creative enough for that...then d. Don't do the dirt that enters your mind...

Questionable demands by band director likely violated state ethics laws

April 30, 2018 4:50 PM in Top Story Source: WBRZ By: Chris Nakamoto

BATON ROUGE- Southern University Band Director Nathan Haymer violated state ethics laws when he demanded personal payments from multiple Mardi Gras krewes to have the band perform, WBRZ learned Monday.

State ethics laws strictly regulate payments from nonpublic sources. Part of the law reads, "No public servant shall receive anything of economic value, other than compensation and benefits from the governmental entity to which he is duly entitled for the performance and duties and responsibilities of his office or position."

The WBRZ Investigative Unit has reported Haymer asked for extra payments from private organizations to have the band participate in events. Hundreds of emails tied to Haymer's Southern University email account and obtained by the WBRZ Investigative Unit show Haymer demanded around $3,000 from Mardi Gras krewes - including Bacchus, Femme Fatale, Poseidon and Nyx.

One of the emails WBRZ obtained showed a message to Zulu: "Make check payable to Nathan B. Haymer for $3,000."

Monday, a board member with Zulu who spoke with WBRZ on condition of anonymity said "anytime a band plays in Zulu, the krewe sends a check to the school or institution where the band comes from. We do not write checks to the band director personally. Nathan Haymer was the one who insisted the checks had to be written in his name. The krewe even asked, 'are you sure you want to do this?' And he said, 'I'm sure.'"

Two months ago, Haymer said he has never taken questionable checks or payments as band director.

"I'm an honest person," Haymer said. "I have integrity. Southern pays me well enough, and there's no need for me to get kickbacks."

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Haymer officially gone?

Nothing official. But I doubt SU takes it back unless they are advised to by the University attorneys and the State. This reminds me of the AD firing of LaFluer. Too many folks involved at the top to know exactly how they will ultimately decide.

April 30, 2018 4:50 PM in Top Story Source: WBRZ By: Chris Nakamoto

BATON ROUGE- Southern University Band Director Nathan Haymer violated state ethics laws when he demanded personal payments from multiple Mardi Gras krewes to have the band perform, WBRZ learned Monday.

State ethics laws strictly regulate payments from nonpublic sources. Part of the law reads, "No public servant shall receive anything of economic value, other than compensation and benefits from the governmental entity to which he is duly entitled for the performance and duties and responsibilities of his office or position."

The WBRZ Investigative Unit has reported Haymer asked for extra payments from private organizations to have the band participate in events. Hundreds of emails tied to Haymer's Southern University email account and obtained by the WBRZ Investigative Unit show Haymer demanded around $3,000 from Mardi Gras krewes - including Bacchus, Femme Fatale, Poseidon and Nyx.

One of the emails WBRZ obtained showed a message to Zulu: "Make check payable to Nathan B. Haymer for $3,000."

Monday, a board member with Zulu who spoke with WBRZ on condition of anonymity said "anytime a band plays in Zulu, the krewe sends a check to the school or institution where the band comes from. We do not write checks to the band director personally. Nathan Haymer was the one who insisted the checks had to be written in his name. The krewe even asked, 'are you sure you want to do this?' And he said, 'I'm sure.'"

Two months ago, Haymer said he has never taken questionable checks or payments as band director.

"I'm an honest person," Haymer said. "I have integrity. Southern pays me well enough, and there's no need for me to get kickbacks."

Following a previous WBRZ report, Haymer's brother, Niles, who is also the band director's attorney, attempted to start a social media campaign – claiming the band director at Florida A&M has received payments for that school's band to perform.
“Someone tell me what's the difference?” Niles Haymer posted, using hashtags – a social media technique to link conversations - #TelltheTruth and #MarchingforMrHaymer.

But, FAMU disputed Haymer's argument Monday.

The university told WBRZ, the band director there never received personal payments.

“[The post does not include the] full document which states all payments must be paid and written to Florida A&M University.... Once the funds are received they are distributed to the band's university account. All fees must be paid to the university...not to an individual."

The sad thing is the Zulu Club is ran by former members of the Jukebox. If they questioned it. That aint good.

And why are they bringing up a fellow band director from FAMU to perhaps get in some trouble?
That's shady at best.

Last edited:
Wasn’t a jag talkin noise about how DT came back to the Boom and now they got Jackson coming back. My oh my how the tables have turned.

Jackson just called me. He is only going to be a consultant not interim. That probably means one of the assistants will be named interim. Probably Kedric.

Well, we tried to tell ya'll SU kats, something just wasn't right with Haymer, but ya'll defended the defenseless until he burned "burn his candle at both ends", leaving only paraffin, a termination and a tarnished legacy in the Human Jukebox history books. :confused:

Last edited:
Well, well, well. We tried to tell yall what a crook this dude was and how arrogant he was and is. Now the whole band world knows.
He did a whole halftime show to try and say that another band was guilty of stealing.....when ALL the time he KNEW he had stolen.
Reminds me of that old saying, "what a tangled web we weave when we first practice to deceive."
Now southern can move on to perhaps something bigger, better and with less drama and thievery than what Haymer left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back