SU board plans to fire Nathan Haymer

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I dont get, so the media company is suing SU for not participating in parade's?? I always thought bands got something for being in the parade. So I dont get how you can sue for something that the bands choose to be in at their on free will.

Why did SU need a company for that?
Maybe I am missing something? This was not a battle of bands, these are parades..

Theemails show throughout the 2018 Carnival Season, Haymer demanded payments if those krewes wanted Southern University's band to play.

The krewes involved are Bacchus, Zulu,Femme Fatale, Poseidon and Nyx.

This is what I dont get, so the media company is suing SU for not participating in parade's?? I always thought bands got something for being in the parade. So I dont get how you can sue for something that the bands choose to be in at their on free will.

Maybe I am missing something? This was not a battle of bands, these are parades..

Theemails show throughout the 2018 Carnival Season, Haymer demanded payments if those krewes wanted Southern University's band to play.

Payments to the band aren't the problem. It's the alleged payments that Haymer requested for himself under the table that would be the problem.

WBRZ is like FOX News! TWISTED. How can Haymer demand under the table? And Ironically all of these organizations agreed to it? Are all the parade organizers crooked too?

I would encourage each of you to look up the difference betweeen an honorarium vs kickback? Then ask YOUR band director if they ever received them.

Again this is fake news that was never trying to be “hidden.” How should band staff be paid for non- school related events? I think policies and procedures definitely need to be put in place to prevent this from every happening again, at any school.

Again this is fake news that was never trying to be “hidden.” How should band staff be paid for non- school related events? I think policies and procedures definitely need to be put in place to prevent this from every happening again, at any school.

"Yes, the 10 percent needs to be made payable to me so that the staff can be properly compensated," a text message quoted in the lawsuit from Haymer's phone reads. "I am asking for you to hide this 10 percent in your percentage charge from your business. If this can't be done, please let me know."

This is not normal practice

"Yes, the 10 percent needs to be made payable to me so that the staff can be properly compensated," a text message quoted in the lawsuit from Haymer's phone reads. "I am asking for you to hide this 10 percent in your percentage charge from your business. If this can't be done, please let me know."

“Allegedly”. The text message was never proven. They never had his phone.

They simply overlooked that part to "HIDE 10 percent". LOL and smh.
And it seems like this has been going on for a long time. That Haymer dude is simply a crook disguised as a band director.

Haymer should do what's best for the band and university, he should resign.
Based on the definition of a narcissist, my take is he won't. Haymer doesn't think he did anything wrong. He won't admit wrongdoing and he'll go down fighting and continually shaming southern's name. He only cares about Haymer, kind of like that trump dude.

Getting something for being in a parade is a performance...thus a transaction and contract. Agreeing to it and then not showing up, is a breach of that contract. That is where you sue if none of the cures for default or breach occurred.

Getting something for being in a parade is a performance...thus a transaction and contract. Agreeing to it and then not showing up, is a breach of that contract. That is where you sue if none of the cures for default or breach occurred.

Haymer set himself up for lawsuits. The band was participating in too many events/parades, there should be more oversight of the band's scheduled performances by SU administrators. Academics and study time should take precedence over excessive band performances.

Whatever happens the BOS needs to have everything in order. If they fire him, make sure it is due process... If they did not let him go .put strict guidelines on anything the jukebox does.

I get this feeling whatever happens the jukebox exposure other then recruiting for the school (enrollment). will be limited

Whatever happens the BOS needs to have everything in order. If they fire him, make sure it is due process... If they did not let him go .put strict guidelines on anything the jukebox does.

I get this feeling whatever happens the jukebox exposure other then recruiting for the school (enrollment). will be limited
Man, this aint on the Jukebox. If they want a busy schedule, then keep it going but that is a seperate convo. The problem here is a rogue director

Haymer set himself up for lawsuits. The band was participating in too many events/parades, there should be more oversight of the band's scheduled performances by SU administrators. Academics and study time should take precedence over excessive band performances.
That had nothing to do with this. There a ton of high school bands that do way more parades than our band does. Like JSUpop33 said, that's a completely different discussion. Good students don't let performances and practice stop them from excelling academically. We had a busy schedule when I was in the band and still maintained an excellent GPA.Kids these days have smartphones and tablets that they can read their textbooks, take notes, and type papers on the bus ride and in their hotel rooms. The charter buses even have wi-fi and outlets to keep their devices charged.There are 0 excuses for not completing the work or studying.

That had nothing to do with this. There a ton of high school bands that do way more parades than our band does. Like JSUpop33 said, that's a completely different discussion. Good students don't let performances and practice stop them from excelling academically. We had a busy schedule when I was in the band and still maintained an excellent GPA.Kids these days have smartphones and tablets that they can read their textbooks, take notes, and type papers on the bus ride and in their hotel rooms. The charter buses even have wi-fi and outlets to keep their devices charged.There are 0 excuses for not completing the work or studying.

You should have been a used car salesman. I doubt if LSU's band marches in as many Mardi Gras parades as Southern does.

You should have been a used car salesman. I doubt if LSU's band marches in as many Mardi Gras parades as Southern does.

DO NOT compare us to LSU. 2 totally different types of bands with two totally different types of support. Hell what PWI do you see doing multiple parades at all?

Haymer should do what's best for the band and university, he should resign.

Yep. It's all but a formality now. Once the Board goes this far. You are usually done. Even if they got to pay him they will move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back