Stop Shaming Black Students Who Choose Not to Attend HBCUs

@Founder I was there from 2011 to 2013. I finished my dissertation back in Texas when I took another job and then graduated in 2014. So naw Jesse Jackson wasn't on the scene then lol. UA was probably a different experience for me too because northwest Arkansas (not the rest of the state) is way more diverse now than it was back in the day. Plus I went to class, met with my chair and went back to work or home. And I only lived in Fayetteville one year. The second year I moved to Bentonville to be closer to the office. So totally different experience to me, but I enjoyed my time there. When I was at TAMU, I lived on campus, worked on campus and was an officer in BGSA. So I knew the ends and outs of the campus climate issues. But to be honest, you would hear BGSA members at TAMU from across all disciplines complain more about their experiences in Bryan than what happened on campus. More of us had issues with local racists in Bryan than I can count. Others had racist encounters at Northgate, as well. Most of the grad students never went over there though.

Yea you moved....I owned a home across the street from the new hospital and I lived there for 2001-2005.....from my understanding things have become more progressive which is a good thing.

They don't.

That's my point.

Most don't think about you. Don't look down on you. HBCU students just assume they do and "lash back" out of insecurity. There may be some that sense that insecurity and pick at you because they know it bothers you. But, for the most part - from what I've seen - most Black PWI students don't spend a lot of time comparing themselves to HBCU students.

That's a HBCU thing. And it doesn't come from a place of strength and security. In my opinion.
They do. They've been doing that for decades. In the 90s black students at USL had a saying "That's so SWAC" for anything they deemed "ghetto".

One thing you can't do is tell a sellout they're a sellout. They always seem to never know. By the way ninety percent of SEC black grads have a slave master mentality. They love white men dong in their mouths. Especially Alabama, Mississippi State and LSU grads.

That's your perception. Most Black students at LSU rarely think about SU. Much less put them down.

Students from Southern Lab, that may be an internal rivalry thing. Joking with their former classmates. But, they don't think less of them. They were CLASSMATES for goodness sake! They come from the same place. They are the same people.

They didn't all of a sudden become "better" than their classmates because they enrolled across town.

It's just not true.

Y'all gotta stop thinking folks think they are better than you. Stop having to prove it. You having nothing to prove.

Bruh...LOL....are you serious. I know it's not a rivalry in the regrd which you speak because I had to set my cousin straight on that...he was dead serious. These black kids that get accepted to white colleges feel they are academically higher than black kids who attend HBCUs. Yet, they want to have all the experiences that HBCU grads have.

Let's assume that's true. They do think they are better.

So what?

If you're just as good, then what they believe is a lie. Talking shit to them and trying to pull them down is not going to change their minds.

If you're just as good, why not just be ... just as good?

Why the need to tear somebody down that you don't feel is above you? You have to reach up to pull somebody down. Right?

It's not usually the HBCU grads pulling at them it's usually the other way around.

What bothers me is that they attend these schools with the preconceived notion that all is fair in the world. They take the usefulness of HBCUs for granted because of this feelng and not acknowledging that if it were not for HBCU grads you would not be able to attend. I refuse to not defend my HBCU education; which from your statement is what we as HBCU grads should do.

lol

So, people who attend PWIs think all is fair in the world.

That's ... just ... laughable. It's not even close to being true.

We can't have a serious conversation when people say and believe stuff like that.

That's my point....man some of those Black folk who attend those schools are down right hoodwinked. Yet, when it's homecoming at the nearest HBCU they are there kicking it.

Hell I went to both PWI and HBCU and to be real I don't care anything about where anyone went or graduated from lol. if it doesn't benefit me I couldn't care less. And some of the stupid statements in here, like black folks that went to PWI's think all is fair in the world but HBCU grads are more "enlightened" are pretty laughable. State had some of the dumbest students i'd ever encountered. Howard had some of the brightest. Georgia State had a mix of both. I mean, it's obvious when you're going to have a bias to whatever side you graduated from. Personally, I don't care.

I have friends/ family who went to both PWIs and HBCUs (mom went to MVSU) and it was something we never really talked about or compared in-depth at all. Just speaking from personal experience, I never really got the sense that I, or my educational background, was viewed as inferior because I went to JSU. There always seemed to be mutual respect. One of my good friends went to Northwestern, and he has nothing but good things to say about HBCUs. But, again, this is from what I experienced. Can't speak to what others have experienced in encountered with PWI students or grads.

Seriously all jokes aside we all have one common enemy who doesn't want any of us in Corporate America and that is racist. At some point we all have one common goal and that is to succeed and should be to help each other. I help blacks whether you went to Alabama St or University of Alabama.

They don't.

That's my point.

Most don't think about you. Don't look down on you. HBCU students just assume they do and "lash back" out of insecurity. There may be some that sense that insecurity and pick at you because they know it bothers you. But, for the most part - from what I've seen - most Black PWI students don't spend a lot of time comparing themselves to HBCU students.

That's a HBCU thing. And it doesn't come from a place of strength and security. In my opinion.
BULLSHIT. Interesting...how you seem to be determined to push the viewpoint of the PWI...are you a HBCU graduate? I've attended both...they give a damn esp when you are spanking that ass in class...

Seriously all jokes aside we all have one common enemy who doesn't want any of us in Corporate America and that is racist. At some point we all have one common goal and that is to succeed and should be to help each other. I help blacks whether you went to Alabama St or University of Alabama.

Yeh that spirit of maturity isn't in me yet. Maybe one day I'll get infected lol.

My championing is for the historically undercounted and disenfranchised, HBCU grads, regardless of ethnicity. The "others" have to bear the fruit of the choice they made. Hopefully their alums can help them because it will not be me.

I think you should be proud of your alma mater. You should champion HBCUs.

I'm just wondering about the people who find it necessary to put down other Black people because they made a different choice.

HBCU alums SHOULD support HBCUs. That goes without saying.

Constantly trying to tear down people who chose PWIs - for whatever reason - reeks of insecurity and an inferiority complex to me. Strong and secure people don't need to tear others down. Only weak people do that.

That's all I'm saying.

These HBCU greek folks opened the door to communicate/interact w/ those people over there. Why would you do that? Why man? Why? *running out of thread* :D

Back