Stop Shaming Black Students Who Choose Not to Attend HBCUs

TSUGIRL07

This should make for interesting dialogue......

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/...k-students-who-choose-not-attend-hbcu-n792576

Excerpt from the article:

"As I watched news coverage of white extremists marching across the University of Virginia on Friday night, I took to social media to be in community with others who were also angry and frustrated by the racist display.

What I did not expect to see on my timeline were flurries of messages criticizing Black students for choosing to attend the Historically White Institution (HWI) and not a Historically Black College or University (HBCU).

This is not the first time this type of criticism has arisen: it happens virtually any time a racist event occurs on a white campus. So, to anyone who thinks taunting Black students for the racist events that happen at HWIs is reasonable, then you underestimate how white supremacy has infiltrated your thinking.

Let's get one thing clear: yes, I am a Black alumna that attended an HWI; a few, in fact. Yet, I have no intention of excusing white colleges of their racist histories, nor do I adhere to the lie that they are somehow superior to HBCUs. HWIs are regarded with higher value because white supremacy ensured their institutional development through public and private investments, appropriations, and grants."

No one should shame them into thinking they made the wrong choice.

However, we should reinforce that when you make your bed w/ charlie, you must lay w/ charlie and charlie's antagonism as well. I wish those black aggies well as they endure that 9/11 deal w/ the white supermacist on that campus. The black athletes will be shielded, naturally, from that negative event lol but the average black non-athlete will not. :) Good luck. And I SINCERELY HOPE NO ONE PVAMU finds themselves on that campus. That's not "our" campus.

Well, naturally, the txa&m braintrust cancelled the white supermacist meeting on their campus lol. Can't have Nuck-Nuck ball boy being upset when sec football play starts. :D lmao!

I shame the shit out of them because they shame us. They want all this support when something racist happens at their school but fail to realize that if it were not for HBCUs they would not be able to attend these white institutions.

I know one personally....the person attended a white college but acts so damn pro black. The person is quick to slam stuff on social media then turn around and quickly post how they are kicking it with their fellow white alum. The sad part is it took the person 7 years to graduate and had to take remedial courses to be accepted to graduate school at GSU.

I shame the shit out of them because they shame us. They want all this support when something racist happens at their school but fail to realize that if it were not for HBCUs they would not be able to attend these white institutions.

I know one personally....the person attended a white college but acts so damn pro black. The person is quick to slam stuff on social media then turn around and quickly post how they are kicking it with their fellow white alum. The sad part is it took the person 7 years to graduate and had to take remedial courses to be accepted to graduate school at GSU.

lol

Dayum!

Ouch lol I didn't even know that was possible for grad school Founder lol Dang! lol

If y'all only knew how little they care about your opinions of them.

While you're trying to look down on them and "shame" them, most are looking down on you. They don't remotely consider themselves inferior to you. As a matter of fact, many think of you as inferior students who went to inferior institutions. Much of the backlash against them is due to your inferiority complex. Constantly wanting to "prove" you're just a good.

Y'all need to stop that. Because it makes you look bad. They really don't care about you as much as you care about them.
Fine...they need to grow some balls and accept the folks they don't give a shit about...talking shit about them...

While you're trying to look down on them and "shame" them, most are looking down on you. They don't remotely consider themselves inferior to you. As a matter of fact, many think of you as inferior students who went to inferior institutions. Much of the backlash against them is due to your inferiority complex. Constantly wanting to "prove" you're just a good.

Y'all need to stop that. Because it makes you look bad. They really don't care about you as much as you care about them.

Nah at times they come across at "uncle tommish"

Are you talking about the folks who attend PWCs and get all those sociology degrees and art degrees? Good thing the conservatives have been blasting this info for the last eight years how the majority of blacks who graduate from PWCs get those types of degrees or we all would've thought different....... Yes I really feel inferior to them....

Here is my two sense on the matter...I do get tired of hearing the HBCU vs PWI debate. As a millennial, it gets old, and as the author said, I am just glad people of color are going to school and trying to better themselves. I always push TSU and other HBCUs to high school kids first (based on their aspirations and degree offerings at specific institutions), but some just choose to go elsewhere...and while it would not be my desire obviously, it is their choice and that's okay. So, I don't necessarily agree with "shaming" HBCU students/grads over their decision. HOWEVER, first, it goes both ways. Most of these debates that I have been privy to originate (particularly via social media) when a PWI grad or student tries to throw shade at the level of an HBCU education, production of HBCU grads, etc. Afterwards, HBCU students and grads "unite" and begin to educate the individual regarding their mis-informed commentary towards HBCUs. If that didn't happen as often as it does/has in recent years, I don't think people's immediate response to students at PWIs when these issues arise would be simplified to "well you should have went to an HBCU". Because, well, it really isn't that simple.

Secondly, when those of us on this board chose to attend certain PWIs for graduate school, we went in knowing that it was probably likely that we would experience some type of racism during our time on the campus. Some of us did. Some of us didn't. I did at Texas A&M, but didn't at Arkansas. My point is the kids and their parents should know that the campus climate may not be to their liking. Not saying you accept it, as I protested when idiots were throwing eggs at President Obama's head on campus, but you don't act naive and think that the systematic racism that occurs at some PWIs and within the communities that they reside will change overnight when these things happen. There is nothing new under the sun.

Last edited:

Why is there a need to talk shit about them though?

I've been in rooms where the HBCU person comes in and immediately starts trying to compare. Trying to prove they are just as good. Trying to say folks are "not Black enough" simply because of their college choice. When the HBCU person leaves , they bust out and start laughing.

It's sad.

If y'all really feel like you're just as good, then act like it. There shouldn't be any need to pull anyone down if you really felt you were equal or "better".

Just stop it already. It's pathetic.
Why is there a need for them to talk shit about HBCUs and their grads? The door swings both ways. You've stated crap like this before...we won't change, they won't change...impasse...

This has been a debate since the black lady left Alabama A&M and went to attend University of Alabama to face George Wallace at the door. Since segregation ended. Blacks who attended the new integrated white schools felt as though they were really learning more than the poor blacks left in the ghettos across America. The same thing happen to Chicago. Most folks don't know there were three waves of black migration from the south. The first wave of blacks moved to Chicago and settled in on the Southside. They became established and helped the second wave who came and secured the new industrial manufacturing jobs and created a new middle class and upper class of blacks. Well when the third wave of blacks came to Chicago the first and second wave were embarrassed of their less educated family members with the way they talk and acted so they distanced themselves from them. This created the poor class of blacks who mostly settled on the westside of Chicago. Hence the westside is considered the country bumpkins and the Southside was considered the uppity blacks back in the days. This is the same HBCUS vs PWCs we have now.

It is all about what you give back. A young man who graduate from one of the best schools in the country said to me. "I just graduate from the highest level of institutional racism a young man can go through." As we discussed this comment, I was delighted to realize he was well grounded and understood the American System.

2ecm44g.jpg

Hold yo own nuts

I did at Texas A&M, but didn't at Arkansas. My point is the kids and their parents should know that the campus climate may not be to their liking.

You must not have been enrolled at Arkansas when Jesse Jackson came to speak. The student senate refused to supply fiscal resources for him to come stating that he was a bigot. It was one of the most saddest moments there. Also, I believe it depends on what program you are enrolled in.

Also, I noticed so many black males who were oblivious to what was truly happening in society. I remember getting a haircut and this black dude was allowing his white girlfriend to say the "N-word" a number of times until we checked here. He got mad at us. SMH

Oh great. Play the victim. Some of these people invest more energy into condemning/debating/whining about HBCUs than effecting change on their own yards. That "woe is me" shtick is played out everytime folks are calling you out on your bullshit. Most hbcu folks I know generally adopt a "well what did you expect?" stance when something goes down on PWI campuses.

@Founder I was there from 2011 to 2013. I finished my dissertation back in Texas when I took another job and then graduated in 2014. So naw Jesse Jackson wasn't on the scene then lol. UA was probably a different experience for me too because northwest Arkansas (not the rest of the state) is way more diverse now than it was back in the day. Plus I went to class, met with my chair and went back to work or home. And I only lived in Fayetteville one year. The second year I moved to Bentonville to be closer to the office. So totally different experience to me, but I enjoyed my time there. When I was at TAMU, I lived on campus, worked on campus and was an officer in BGSA. So I knew the ends and outs of the campus climate issues. But to be honest, you would hear BGSA members at TAMU from across all disciplines complain more about their experiences in Bryan than what happened on campus. More of us had issues with local racists in Bryan than I can count. Others had racist encounters at Northgate, as well. Most of the grad students never went over there though.

They don't.

That's my point.

Most don't think about you. Don't look down on you. HBCU students just assume they do and "lash back" out of insecurity. There may be some that sense that insecurity and pick at you because they know it bothers you. But, for the most part - from what I've seen - most Black PWI students don't spend a lot of time comparing themselves to HBCU students.

That's a HBCU thing. And it doesn't come from a place of strength and security. In my opinion.

from what I've seen - most Black PWI students don't spend a lot of time comparing themselves to HBCU students.
Yes they do!!!! And I attended the Univeristy of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) for a year and half before leaving and going to AAMU.
My so called black friends at the put down AAMU and other HBCU's. I was joked for leaving, but guess what, I got an engineering job when I graduated, while those jokers that went to that PWI were working at places like Kinko's or other non engineering places when they graduated.

That's a HBCU thing. and it doesn't come from a place of strength and security. In my opinion
So to say that it does not come from a place of strength and security; then are you saying that it is insecurity and weakness?

Back