Spring Football is over. Who did it help/hurt?

Journalist

Listen up maggots! And that's an order!
The spring football season is over.
Who did this shortened season help/hurt most?

I think it helped UAPB the most.
It helped Southern’s offense breaking in a new offensive coordinator.
It helped Alabama State as it got Nettles and that young offensive line a lot of reps.

It still remains a question whether the teams that played in the spring will hit a wall midway through the fall.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
What my hometown team dont understand, a conference championship was played on your field. J st should be mad about that, i know my Jags would.
You’re crazy if you don’t think Jsu alum and fans aren’t mad.

Definitely helped us break in a new staff and implement our base systems. Helped identify our weaknesses (Dline /Oline) and we definitely need two kickers. Had a Top 3 offense after a month of practice. Helped weed out the ballers from the pretenders so we were able to get rid of a lot of guys sooner rather than later. We wouldn't have learned any of this with regular spring practice. Now we can fill those holes we may have missed filling in our Feb signing class by bringing in guys over the summer. 3 recruiting classes in a few months. Doesn't get much better than that.

The spring football season is over.
Who did this shortened season help/hurt most?

I think it helped UAPB the most.
It helped Southern’s offense breaking in a new offensive coordinator.
It helped Alabama State as it got Nettles and that young offensive line a lot of reps.

It still remains a question whether the teams that played in the spring will hit a wall midway through the fall.

some teams barely played in the spring so there won't be a wall. The wall is usually dictated by the record.

Now the teams that played intense like AAMU, UAPB down the stretch how quick will they recover

some teams barely played in the spring so there won't be a wall. The wall is usually dictated by the record.

Now the teams that played intense like AAMU, UAPB down the stretch how quick will they recover
How will UAPB deal with the heightened expectations?
The pandemic kinda forced some teams to have bye weeks built in, so there’s not the typical wear and tear.

If I'm AAMU and UAPB, I wouldn't think about starting my fall camps until August 1 giving my teams 3 full months to recover

If you are the rest of the SWAC, you got started on fall a week earlier as far as rest and recovery are concerned so you can actually kind of start camps towards the end of July if necessary but I wouldn't be mad if they decided to do the August 1 camp start as well. Valley only played 3 games so it basically was an extended spring camp

As far as Valley is concerned, it let us know that our defense was the strength of our team and that we need a new OC. When Dancy took the job in 2018, Valley was coming off 2 straight seasons of having less than 0 yards rushing for 11 games. This Spring we averaged over 150 yards a game (finishing 4th only .6 yards behind ASU) so we know we can run the ball. Just need a servicable QB that can actually throw the ball 30-40 yards down the field

If I'm AAMU and UAPB, I wouldn't think about starting my fall camps until August 1 giving my teams 3 full months to recover

If you are the rest of the SWAC, you got started on fall a week earlier as far as rest and recovery are concerned so you can actually kind of start camps towards the end of July if necessary but I wouldn't be mad if they decided to do the August 1 camp start as well. Valley only played 3 games so it basically was an extended spring camp

As far as Valley is concerned, it let us know that our defense was the strength of our team and that we need a new OC. When Dancy took the job in 2018, Valley was coming off 2 straight seasons of having less than 0 yards rushing for 11 games. This Spring we averaged over 150 yards a game (finishing 4th only .6 yards behind ASU) so we know we can run the ball. Just need a servicable QB that can actually throw the ball 30-40 yards down the field
Actually 2 weeks earlier!

Dude, wth do this have to do with us? I swear!! Some of you eat, sleep, shit JSU more than me.
Be worried about the wrong things... and this season exposed just how jealous and bitter some of these SWAC coaches can sound while hiding behind “well that’s just how the swac is... nothing personal” or backpedaling off statements when they get called out .... nah keep that same energy.... puff that chest back out...

I learned the SWAC East will have more parody than the SWAC WEST. I think FAMU, Bethune Cookman, Alabama’s , and us have a case to take the swac crown

FAMU is loaded and wants to come in and make a statement

Bethune has beaten famu and most of the SWAC historically and has Grams ole QB now... they’re the wild card.

alabama state has a solid young core and they’re not scared.... they will be a tough out week in and out...

the champs Alabama A&M have a outstanding offense and a NFL draft prospect at QB... A&M got some pieces coming in on the defensive side of the ball and some studs behind the current QB.. they’ll have a target they’ve never had before on their back...

Then there’s us.... now play time and pleasantries are out the way 4-3 in the spring keeps the hype on the historic recruiting class but the kitchen is hot in the fall for Deion and his sons... everyone is going to give JSU hell because of Deion and who he is... bengal mafia will ride with him but 1 game above .500 won’t cut it....

I believe this season showed you there are 5 contenders in the east... and the West as of now has 2 sure contenders and a possible with UAPBs recent success...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Considering we only played 2 games I don’t know if the Spring hurt or helped us. It’s going to be a battle to avoid finishing in the basement with Alcorn moving over.

I agree with it helping UAPB the most. Gives the program and fans some much needed confidence and recognition. I often forget they’re even in the SWAC. I hope they can continue this momentum for the fall season.

Not going to say too much because I don’t want to be accused of flaming, but I think Alcorn’s reputation got hurt the most.

For the schools that were impacted by COVID throughout the season, the spring wasn't a benefit at all.

As far as helped is concerned, I'd say JSU, UAPB, Connell Maynor and Aqeel Glass. They were able to elevate their profiles tremendously.

Shiiiid! It actually helped the coaching staff. It is better that we fixed that "mess" now instead of having to wait to experience it in the fall.
I actually meant it hurt the coaches themselves... not the team. If you lost a job this spring... then the sprint season didn't help you.

Back