Southland May blow up

The only thing the TX school have compared to the LA SLC is enrollment and budget.. Sports wise the LA school's were overall winning more.
Yes, considering the size of the Texas schools, even the Texas SWAC schools, in terms of enrollment and budget, those schools overall have grossly under-performed. When you look at Texas-Austin, Texas A&M-College Station, TCU, Baylor, Houston, SMU and their enrollments and budgets, they have all under-performed in the grand scheme of things. WHY? Good question! Conversely, Louisiana schools have all over-performed for the size of their enrollments and budgets.

Last edited:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Yes, considering the size of the Texas schools, even the Texas SWAC schools, in terms of enrollment and budget, those schools overall have grossly under-performed. When you look at Texas-Austin, Texas A&M-College Station, TCU, Baylor, Houston, SMU and their enrollments and budgets, they have all under-performed in the grand scheme of things. WHY? Good question! Conversely, Louisiana schools have all over-performed for the size of their enrollments and budgets.
False

The best football programs over the last decade have been Sam and Central Arkansas. The rest of TX schools have been eh but the La schools aren’t carrying the weight of the league.

In men’s basketball have been SFA and Sam over the last decade with ACU coming on strong these last few years. If I’m not mistaken, there’s only been one non Texas school to win MBB in last decade.

Looking at the Commissioners Cup, you are literally losing the programs that have been the top two annually in SFA and Sam. Do not believe a Louisiana school has placed first in well over a decade and the rest of Texas schools have been dominant above the Louisiana schools.

The league is losing its top schools. Period.

The league has also lost its foothold in Texas particularly Houston.

The league will no longer have its hoops tourney in Houston (top three draws based on history are leaving - Sam, SFA and ACU) nor its premiere football game in Houston.

Last edited:

What metric are you using to say Texas schools are grossly underperforming?? Football or athletics as a whole?

Talent gap, Earle. It's ridiculously obvious.

@Earle

Simple - diluted talent - simple as that. Let’s start in football

A Texas swac school will battle off the top with 10 FBS schools for an instate kid before we even get to FCS competition

Once LSU says no - it drops to a Tulane, La Tech, ULM situation instantly - big difference

But the past few years the La SWAC schools as a whole have dropped in terms of overall program. Dont base your judgment on football and some basketball.

Your schools and all Louisiana schools waive out of state fees for Texas kids. Texas kids don’t. Another competitive advantage.

Since some of it is behind a subscriber wall, do not want to share the whole thing but essentially Matt says the SWAC schools will do their due diligence but will likely not pull the trigger for all the obvious reasons

—-

What's the latest on The Southland?​

The Southland is on the march to find more football schools, after the Texas 4 departed for the WAC, and Central Arkansas left for the ASUN.

Back in April, Extra Points reported that the Southland's expansion efforts were focused on Texas and Louisiana institutions in the SWAC, like Texas Southern, Prairie View A&M, and Grambling.

Now, College AD is reporting a similar target list, with those three schools, plus Southern. College AD also pointed out that four other University of Louisiana system schools are a part of the Southland, and that the SWAC and Southland footprints essentially overlap.

TT - Whats your opinion on where the Southland is headed (realistically)?

I am glad that my alma mater is out of there!

They made a mistake in booting the Texas schools & Central Arkansas when they did as it just rushed them (the SLC) to make moves. That being said, I am honestly not sure the league will exist much longer and any lack of announcement this month regarding expansion will really stunt the league as it means they will need to wait longer to stabilize knowing that outside of snatching SWAC schools, they will be in a further wait for Division II school additions to make transitions and they really can't stomach three or four Division II transitions at the exact same stage of the transition (due to complexities with Division I counters, Division I eligibility for a few sports that are shy of AQ status, etc.)

If McNeese were to leave the league (I think there's some political pressures in Louisiana keeping them in it), that would really be a huge blow. Again, the political pressures (i.e. namely leaving the other four La. schools without a viable league) likely keep them in. If Incarnate Word can find a way to get into the WAC (it's rumored but I do not think the TX schools are on board with it), that would be a blow to just because it's a football member in a major city - though it would help shrink the league's geography with just HBU and Corpus left in TX.

The SLC is about to enter a two-year waiver period for automatic bid status in three sports (men's tennis, men's golf and women's golf) and are just above the threshold in a few others (football will be at six schools, which is the minimum as Corpus & New Orleans don't have). They are doing some strange things for scheduling (round robin & a half for football; pre conference schedule basketball tipoff event, etc.) because of the sheer lack of teams in sports.

It is not a good situation.

The Southland tried desperately to heal the wounds but some of the decisions related to COVID, the lack of commitment to broadcast appropriately (only Southeastern was able to meet the ESPN3/+ standards of the schools staying behind), the growing gap financially (and competitively) and other decisions in recent years were too much for the Texas institutions to get over. Central Arkansas was not interested in being in what remained behind and quite frankly the ASUN schools are whom they are more familiar with from their history in the Gulf South.

If the Southland does exist... I bet it will move out of Frisco to Louisiana, the league tournament in hoops will no longer be in Katy (this coming year is the final year of the contract), it will be a Louisiana-centric league and will have to find Division II schools (not sure which!) to stabilize membership. If they do a complete reboot as they may need to, look for the league's name to change too!

Last edited:
TT - thanks for your sharing your insight.

Looks like the MEAC and SLC are in a tough period for now, we will see how they both fare.

The MEAC is actually better than that crap. Seriously.

The question I have for both the Southland and the MEAC is... what are your options? Are there legitimate, realistic options for the leagues to bring in? The Southland - at least on paper - likely has a few more options than the MEAC.

Whether those options manifest into expansion opportunities remains to be seen.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The MEAC’s best immediate option for expansion is Virginia State and I don’t see them jumping anytime soon. I think you’re gonna see more FCS conference with smaller numbers of institutions (6-9). With the ASUN and WAC still looking for members it’s gonna be a while before realignment settles. That means that the OVC, Big South, and SLC aren’t out of the woods by a long shot.

FYI-SMU is PICKY in who they want. It's not for example Lebron James Jr wants to play for SMU it's does SMU want Lebron James Jr?
They want to cherry pick who they get for sports.

As Ghostwriter said it's a talent supply issue.
There is a reason Shaka Smart left for Marquette. Talent getting won't be an issue there like it was at Texas.

Texas SWAC schools have to fight 20 Texas PWI not to mention Louisiana, Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico and Arizona schools.

SLC is about identity crisis and reminds you of a family who keeps moving thinking their better than where they are and never accept reality. No school that has left the Southland has moved higher than C-USA ever - and that goes from Louisiana tech, ULM, Arkansas State, etc.

The Louisiana schools want to be LSU and the fan base has no issues associating with them ahead of their own schools - problem is Louisiana is a shrinking state with no appeal if your hanging Lake Charles as the new destination spot.

The old texas schools want to be A&M and UT and thanks to high enrollment and growth in the state they have more students to tax and keep chasing this moving target.

Texas State (SW Texas State) - blessed with high enrollment - thought they were too good for the Southland and went D-1. Pretty much have failed in the major sports and a nobody.

Lousiana Monroe - smaller than some SWAC schools. No real support.

Sam, SFA wants to walk down this same path when it has already been written.

the current crop of private schools that came in really had no business adding football but did so to appease the older members. Just going to their games you can see the disconnect.

McNeese St and SELA to the SWAC?

Hmmmmmm....
Wendell Carter Jr No GIF by Chicago Bulls

That's a'ight. We good.

I see SWAC football team, M/W basketball teams, & t&f teams. They are 80+% already there lol.

Sub Nicholls for SELA.

I see SWAC football team, M/W basketball teams, & t&f teams. They are 80+% already there lol.

Sub Nicholls for SELA.

Northwestern State is nearly 100 miles closer than Nicholls or SELA. Plus, I think that nearly 60% black population in Natchitoches is an added factor.

Last edited:
Northwestern State is nearly 100 miles closer than Nicholls or SELA. Plus I think that nearly 60% black population in Natchitoches is an added factor.
Considered NwSt for a few due to the demographic of the area and also proximity to GSU. Nicholls St stood out to me because of the makeup of their team. Offense, defense,... all SWAC lol. It's painfully obvious who their recruiters target lol. :D

Back