Southland May blow up

It appears the SLC would have kept those schools if a plan existed to move up to the FBS level down the road.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Ha! Never knew troy was once an slc'er. Interesting on the # of schools that bolted the slc for fbs.

What I can vaguely remember about Troy is them ascending from D-2 to playing FAMU a time or two in the I-AA/FCS playoffs to moving to 1-A/FBS. I like you never really paid attention to their conference affiliation though I believe they're in the Sunbelt now.

With all that money /budget these Texas schools over the LA members they should have dominated the SLC. This conference will be the UL Monroe's once they move up to FBS, which I think is the plan. As long as they have the FBS label they prob will not care about winning.

Reminds me of ASU in the SWAC, people thought once the new stadium came they were going to dominate,still waiting on that one..

With all that money /budget these Texas schools over the LA members they should have dominated the SLC. This conference will be the UL Monroe's once they move up to FBS, which I think is the plan. As long as they have the FBS label they prob will not care about winning.

Reminds me of ASU in the SWAC, people thought once the new stadium came they were going to dominate,still waiting on that one..

Ut ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Add them to the long list of FCS to FBS failures. I dont think any school making that jump are under the delusion that they will become an FBS power. It seems to be a money move more than anything.

Really just depends on the school. Our bball definitely improved and our football did as well. It was really the only thing that allowed us to be able to get the Braves stadium, build a new gym, baseball stadium and a ton of other upgrades around campus. It didn't work for all but schools like Coastal, App State, Georgia Southern, Marshall and many others definitely made it worth the move. And with the year that the Sunbelt had this year i'm sure it'll only get better. The whole thing is though, trying to move up as a whole conference is likely not going to work. Not for the WAC either. So far only one school has been able to pull it off without a conference invite and that's Liberty. And i'm pretty sure they had to pay a hefty sum for that ability.

McNeese was more transfer friendly at the time and LSU would damn near drive their stars over for them to not attend Southern but a lot of it now is due to population shifts also. Once Louisiana started declining the power went over to Texas consistently

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
They blew up yet?
Not yet. No word if Incarnate Word or another school will be leaving. No word on new membership

it is a sinking ship though until they get new members nonetheless. Last night was Sam Houston’s last Southland competition (though golf is at NCAA nationals and T&F has some national qualifiers). No more SLC games!

Interesting read.

The first thing I questioned was would they move their HQ from Frisco-tx to La?

he sounds kinda arrogant and he knows he can being the only big dawg left lol Basically ready to move everything out of Texas and into his backyard but he knows they are on the downward trajectory with the remaining members so they gotta think big lol

A preseason basketball classic? on-campus basketball tournaments? big gamble during spring break

he sounds kinda arrogant and he knows he can being the only big dawg left lol Basically ready to move everything out of Texas and into his backyard but he knows they are on the downward trajectory with the remaining members so they gotta think big lol

A preseason basketball classic? on-campus basketball tournaments? big gamble during spring break

On campus basketball works.

In early 2000s, higher seed hosted individual games and not whole tournament. Can replicate that pretty easily especially with travel so easy between most of SLC. Some of bigger crowds at certain schools filled arenas. Granted those were the schools leaving but...

the preseason tournament is weird and done because with so few teams, they were going to have scheduling issues. They already have some known awkwardness with football scheduling - a almost double round robin? What’s that about?

this didn’t need to happen but they booted five schools quickly!

Back