Southern vs. Texas Southern: Game Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by JR
WHEWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I am still pissed:redhot:

You should be! su dang near hand delivered bill thomas a contract extention. Man SU %#$^&* no good *&%%&* I'll see you over there-------------------------------------------------------->

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by SUperJag96
Man...
Why did I move away from Houston and miss this game!

:-(

An UGLY win....is still a WIN!

I feel ya on that one. I've been gone since 2000 and still aint got used to missing those games. But you are right a win is a win. Both my schools (SU and Ohio State) had me on edge today. They both won ugly.

Originally posted by buckwheat1911
why didn't they kick a field goal

I was watching this game from the sidelines and some of the plays that TSU was calling was atrocious. When TSU got down there they had a chance to get the ball to the 20 and set up a field goal. It was 2 & about 15 and they run the ball, so I figure they are going to throw the ball to get closer for the fieldgoal. They run a qb draw to the left hash mark that went for about 2 yards. Then I think they wanted to set the kicker up on the left side since he missed right twice kicking from the right hash mark. Then I see the punter out there(I say WTF!), why are they punting. You either kick a field goal or go for it, you have nothing to lose that way. Then came the punt, the coverage went left and the punter punted the ball right and the receiver had nothing but open field in front of him. TSU should have won this game easy, they were beating SU on offense and defense. Cleb, I'm on your bandwagon(see signature)............SMH

Fiyah:
I wouldn't pat TSU on the back too fast. SU played horrible also. TSU was only in the game because we played our worst game of the year.

Great game and atmosphere but I would have rather see the 42-10 like it should have been.

Hats off to the JAG Nation... The showed up tonight. If TSU had any kind of fan support, we would have easily sold out Robertson.

Originally posted by Jag Voice

If TSU had any kind of fan support, we would have easily sold out Robertson.

I see you don't understand the situation at Texas Southern and I'll just leave it at that.

Originally posted by KRANKin98
Did anyone else see ESPN bottomline have this game's final score at TSU-17 SU-10?????

yeah I was callin my homeboy tellin him that TSU had beatin SU 17-10.... my mouse was broke on my computer so i couldnt see the score on the net

Originally posted by Fiyah
I was watching this game from the sidelines and some of the plays that TSU was calling was atrocious. When TSU got down there they had a chance to get the ball to the 20 and set up a field goal. It was 2 & about 15 and they run the ball, so I figure they are going to throw the ball to get closer for the fieldgoal. They run a qb draw to the left hash mark that went for about 2 yards. Then I think they wanted to set the kicker up on the left side since he missed right twice kicking from the right hash mark. Then I see the punter out there(I say WTF!), why are they punting. You either kick a field goal or go for it, you have nothing to lose that way. Then came the punt, the coverage went left and the punter punted the ball right and the receiver had nothing but open field in front of him. TSU should have won this game easy, they were beating SU on offense and defense. Cleb, I'm on your bandwagon(see signature)............SMH

I had posted on another thread (someone tried to start a poll asking who would win) that SU would win because TxSU was tiring. Then on the last possession, I actually thought TxSU was setting up to go for the game winning field goal. I thought the success they had running the ball had them in good shape ( I thought they would run on first down, second down, and then take a stab for something down the seam on third down off play action and then go for the field goal).

When they lined up to punt, I was like "I wouldn't do that...big returns happen late when the fatigue has set in". Even if SU would not have ran the punt back, as a coach I would have never given SU's offense another possession. I see why TxSU wants Thomas gone.

Originally posted by Fiyah
Uhh Missy, you could have said you were going to be at the game :rolleyes:

Fiyah, I attend EVERY Southern game!! I thought you knew! :D I only announce that I AM NOT GOING to a game and it is definitely an emergency or extraordinary and not often!

I saw Ms. Jag4Jag, Mike and their cloning project, Sugar Mama! (that gal looks just like her PAW!). And I met Tara and S Phi S, SUComGrad89 and her beautiful, TALL kids. And I saw my line sister and several friends and classmates Saturday night.

Where were you Fiyah? I hate I missed meeting you and C-Leb!! My line sister, Jeanie works with C-Leb. I told her to ask him who is Seeing Spots! :lol: She'll never remember, you tell her you know Seeing Spots!

Next year, I'll be sure to let you know that I am coming so we can all get together!

Originally posted by Seeing Spots

I saw Ms. Jag4Jag, Mike and their cloning project, Sugar Mama! (that gal looks just like her PAW!). And I met Tara and S Phi S, SUComGrad89 and her beautiful, TALL kids. And I saw my line sister and several friends and classmates Saturday night.

Where were you sitting? I keep hearing about the dance you were doing...I saw someone with a short haircut getting down...that might have been you.

Originally posted by jag4life
Where were you sitting? I keep hearing about the dance you were doing...I saw someone with a short haircut getting down...that might have been you.

I was sitting on SU side on the 10 yard line, nearest to the Human Jukebox!

That was me chile!!! :blush: I put the B on Beyonce, you know that dance was called THE DROP when I was on the yard, and I used to win the Booty Shaking Fever contest at Smack Water Jack's!!! :tup: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

My hair is cut like Halle Berry's with PLATINUM highlights :D and I had on a UNMISTAKEABLE PINK AND GREEN ALPHA KAPPA ALPHA jacket on! And when the Jukebox broke down "Do Whatcha Wanna" at the end of the game, I was droppin' like it was hot! :D :D :D

I had to show my niece and her roommates and suitemates How to do the dayum thang OLD SCHOOL STYLE! ;)

That was me chile!!! :blush: I put the B on Beyonce, you know that dance was called THE DROP when I was on the yard, and I used to win the Booty Shaking Fever contest at Smack Water Jack's!!! :tup: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

My hair is cut like Halle Berry's with PLATINUM highlights :D and I had on a UNMISTAKEABLE PINK AND GREEN ALPHA KAPPA ALPHA jacket on! And when the Jukebox broke down "Do Whatcha Wanna" at the end of the game, I was droppin' like it was hot! :D :D :D

:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:
shame, shame, just gott dayam shame for a woman your age to be caring on like that. There aught to be a law against such behavior. :idea: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by BgJag
:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:
shame, shame, just gott dayam shame for a woman your age to be caring on like that. There aught to be a law against such behavior. :idea: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

:rolleyes:

Like Miss Dupree sez: I got the GIFT, I got ta USE IT!

And I do mean USE IT! :D :cool:

Fiyah, I attend EVERY Southern game!! I thought you knew! :D I only announce that I AM NOT GOING to a game and it is definitely an emergency or extraordinary and not often!

Where were you Fiyah? I hate I missed meeting you and C-Leb!! My line sister, Jeanie works with C-Leb. I told her to ask him who is Seeing Spots! :lol: She'll never remember, you tell her you know Seeing Spots!

Next year, I'll be sure to let you know that I am coming so we can all get together!

It was good meeting you Seeing Spots. Can you believe my children are only 5 and 7:D My daughter is the 5 year old.
I also saw Ms Jag and Mike. Game gave eveyone a mild heart attack:)

Spots I missed the dance also, did anyone take pictures of you dancing, if so, please post..

For those that are really into football, and was at this game, did you all notice the formation that TSU used on that last punt? I had never seen anything like that in my life and I've been watching football for quite a while.

Fiyah: Mike told me he saw ya, but you didn't come over with Tara and S-Phi-S to see us!

Seeing Spots is a doll! and crazy as hell too! :D LOL

Originally posted by GramFan
For those that are really into football, and was at this game, did you all notice the formation that TSU used on that last punt? I had never seen anything like that in my life and I've been watching football for quite a while.

I try to watch every aspect of the game; I am a big football fan.
I don't recall the formation. Can you describe it?

If I was to guess, maybe TSU was mass protecting against the punt block. When I say mass protect, I mean, there were no player split out wide.

Originally posted by Texas Southern Fan
When I say mass protect, I mean, there were no player split out wide.

Well, usually there are gunners split out to each side of the formation. But for some reason, they took the gunner that would have been lined up on the right side and moved him on the inside of the gunner on the left, sorta like a slot receiver would be lined up. There was no one lined up on the wide side (right side) of the field.

Southern uses two returners to field punts just like most teams do on kick returns (I guess they started doing this when they lost that lil' fast bastid #16.) Williams was on the right and I can't remember who was on the left. I'm assuming that the play call was for the punt to be kicked to the left in hopes of pinning Southern inside their own 10 yard line. That's where the problem started.

The punter shanked his kick. Instead of it going left it went right and in the process only went 20 yards. All but two players on the TSU punt team went straight down field expecting the kick to go left. The two players lined up on the far right side of the TSU "o-line" went to the right side of the field, which I assume was their assignment. When Lenny caught the ball (the ball was shanked straight to him) there was nothing but green in front of him with the exception of those two players. With only those two players and then the punter in front of him, he made one move, got one block and was on his way after getting past the punter. The field was so wide open that I thought I was looking at six-man football highlights on Texas Sports Extra.

There was no one within 15 yards of him because the rest of the TSU punt team didnt know what was going on (Actually there was one guy that noticed. He was their last hope to tackle Lenny but ended up getting knocked the **** out on a crushing block. That was a helluva lick.)

Now most people are probably blaming the punter but I think the coach is to blame for two reasons:

1. Southern uses two punt returners. Even if he would have punted the ball in the middle of the field, SU could have had their punt return set up to the left and broke it since there was no gunner there.

2. The punter, two minutes before that, had just shanked a punt to the right side. I would have been saying to myself, "this mofo might just kick that ball the same way he did before."

I feel qualified to comment on this....lol

According to the TSU coach, and I believe him, Vera was supposed to go out of bounds left. That is why both gunners were on the left. It was all on the punter what happened.

I agreed with the strategy at the time. When they decided to send out the punter instead of attempting a 55-yard field goal (Patrick looked terrible on two earlier 40-plus attempts), I figured we were headed for OT. Had they missed the FG, it would have given SU the ball at the 38 and the Jags would have only needed about 30 yards to get in FG range.

All Vera had to do was put the sombich out of bounds-anywhere-even at the damm 20-yard line. He fugged up and shanked it. The previous shank was due to pressure off the left side. He is extremely slow getting the ball off. However, that was not a factor on the last punt. SU had "punt safe" on and no one was to get near the punter for fear of roughing him. I'm not sure if the boy (he is a freshman) got nervous or what, but I was always much more relaxed going in (punting from the other team's territory).

This is a trend I've noticed a lot the last few years. Guys don't know where the ball is going when they punt it. While kicking in the SWAC is very good this year (4th among I-AA conferences), punting is not good. Solution? Who knows.....

Originally posted by PNeck019
According to the TSU coach, and I believe him, Vera was supposed to go out of bounds left. That is why both gunners were on the left. It was all on the punter what happened.I agreed with the strategy at the time.

TSU's coach was quoted in the Advocate saying something to the effect that he didnt know what the hell happened and that the punt was supposed to go left and out of bounds. I don't question his decision to punt the ball. It was the right thing to do.

My problem with his strategy was that he moved the gunner to the weak side right inside of the other gunner. And considering the fact that the guy had just shanked a punt to the right side he should have been thinking about that (BTW, as a fan that watches everything, pressure from the left side didn't cause him to shank that previous punt. He just shanked it.)

The bottom line is there is no way you use that kind of strategy in that situation. Punting from your own 38 and leaving one side of the field wide open like that was asinine. They oughta fire his ass.

Originally posted by PNeck019
I agreed with the strategy at the time. When they decided to send out the punter instead of attempting a 55-yard field goal (Patrick looked terrible on two earlier 40-plus attempts), I figured we were headed for OT. Had they missed the FG, it would have given SU the ball at the 38 and the Jags would have only needed about 30 yards to get in FG range.

I disagreed with the decision to punt from the 38. The kicker missed 2 earlier kicks but he had the distance on both of them. They both went wide right and he was kicking from the right hash of the field. I believed that since the ball was set up on the left hash this time he would have kick it thru because the trajectory(sp) of his kick would have taken the ball right down the middle. If he missed the kick, you give SU the ball on the 38 with 1 timeout left and about 58 seconds left on the clock. I think Su would have needed to go 35 yards to get a chance to kick into a light wind. TSU had been putting pressure on the QB all night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back