Southern University System President Pay package

The problem we face with recruiting CC students here in Mississippi is that many of the CCs have agreements with the PWCs that allow them to go there for FREE for a year after completing the CC. The HBCUs don't have those same partnerships, with the exception of JSU's new agreement with Hinds which is limited only to making the transition smoother for students. Perhaps SU can look for Mason to work out something like that there as well.

QUOTE="NOISE TALKA";1698173]The problem we face with recruiting CC students here in Mississippi is that many of the CCs have agreements with the PWCs that allow them to go there for FREE for a year after completing the CC. The HBCUs don't have those same partnerships, with the exception of JSU's new agreement with Hinds which is limited only to making the transition smoother for students. Perhaps SU can look for Mason to work out something like that there as well.[/QUOTE]

BINGO

The problem we face with recruiting CC students here in Mississippi is that many of the CCs have agreements with the PWCs that allow them to go there for FREE for a year after completing the CC. The HBCUs don't have those same partnerships, with the exception of JSU's new agreement with Hinds which is limited only to making the transition smoother for students. Perhaps SU can look for Mason to work out something like that there as well.

That's what's actually happening but many people are blind and doesn't realize that most people that are attending the Community Colleges are going str8 to the PWC's. We as HBCU's should raise our standards but not at the level that we loose our identity. 20 and above is to high for most. Majority don't even come close to making that. The inner city schools don't have the resources to prepare black students at predominately black schools. No Child Left Behind My Ass.
:shame:

We'd all better start asking some tough questions of our administrations before jumping on the "raised academic standards" bandwagon. What exactly are the motives? Where will the students with 19s, 18s, 17s go to school?

For starters, we'll (JSU) be recruiting more in Louisiana! :lecture: lol

We'd all better start asking some tough questions of our administrations before jumping on the "raised academic standards" bandwagon. What exactly are the motives? Where will the students with 19s, 18s, 17s go to school?

For starters, we'll (JSU) be recruiting more in Louisiana! :lecture: lol

Might as well because GSU and SU standards are to damn high.:lol:

Last edited:

SU already has a partnership with BRCC.

The thing about SU's admissions standards is that the governor has tied state funding to graduation and retention rates. We risk huge funding cuts if we continue to cater to our former base of students, because many were not as prepared in high school as they should have been. It is noble to serve the at-risk students, but NOW it would be to the detriment of our school's SUccess to continue doing it.

The thing about SU's admissions standards is that the governor has tied state funding to graduation and retention rates. We risk huge funding cuts if we continue to cater to our former base of students, because many were not as prepared in high school as they should have been. It is noble to serve the at-risk students, but NOW it would be to the detriment of our school's SUccess to continue doing it.

And that's where you have it folks...:lecture:

This will hurt SU in the beginning but in 20 years this may be of some benefit to them. When you raise graduation rates, you typically raise the ranking of the university and you usually have more alumni to give back and support. I'm not sure how I feel about raising the standards, however. We already have a hard enough time trying to recruit kids. In MS, our biggest challenge is keeping kids out of USM who should be coming to JSU. They would rather go to a JUCO than JSU as it is (from those I have personally recruited). I just don't understand it.

As for APR, the thing that helps some HBCUs when it comes to APR is that our schools have low graduation rates. APR does not ask that you graduate 25% of your athletes if you can't graduate but 25% of your student body. Therefore, if SU gets its graduation rate up to 50-60%, you better only recruit athletes who can keep up with that.

ah. there's the bingo. wow. Makes sense from a financial/political standpoint to me. Just hate to see the door closed for so many students. (not closed completely, but that an HBCU won't be able to serve them)...

What is the governor going to do to address the fact that alot of students are not as prepared in high school?

What is the governor going to do to address the fact that alot of students are not as prepared in high school?

Good question. It just really seems that in an around about way they are attempting to tie the HBCUs hands... The average ACT score in Louisiana is a 20.... and Southern's minimum will be 21?

Thank you! Make it plain for them JAG4LIFE - make it plain! :lecture:

Just wondering how many of these folks made 15 or less on the ACT coming out of high school, and but for the grace of an HBCU would have never gone to college. Going to a junior college doesn't mean you have to go to Grambling or Southern when you finish. You sure ain't going to go free. You can go to any college in the state, including LSU. Talk to high school students. Many high school students are already being brainwashed to feel that HBCU's are inferior. One's with high ACT scores and grades may even get a better financial deal as a minority going to a pwc. Once these budget cuts are made, it's done. You won't get the money back. It dosen't mean fewer students, teachers, and staff will get more money.

On an athletic note, you don't won't to have teams full of juco players. History tends to show that too many of them will destroy your program. (see Bama State and FAMU)

Some of y'all are drinking that purple drank. Wake up. This plan ain't to help Grambling and Southern like they want you to believe. It's to help close them.
None of you know if we can survive this. Once we forget who we are, we're doomed.

Just wondering how many of these folks made 15 or less on the ACT coming out of high school, and but for the grace of an HBCU would have never gone to college. Going to a junior college doesn't mean you have to go to Grambling or Southern when you finish. You sure ain't going to go free. You can go to any college in the state, including LSU. Talk to high school students. Many high school students are already being brainwashed to feel that HBCU's are inferior. One's with high ACT scores and grades may even get a better financial deal as a minority going to a pwc. Once these budget cuts are made, it's done. You won't get the money back. It dosen't mean fewer students, teachers, and staff will get more money.

On an athletic note, you don't won't to have teams full of juco players. History tends to show that too many of them will destroy your program. (see Bama State and FAMU)

Some of y'all are drinking that purple drank. Wake up. This plan ain't to help Grambling and Southern like they want you to believe. It's to help close them.
None of you know if we can survive this. Once we forget who we are, we're doomed.

What the hell does Grambling have to do with Southern's admissions standards? I understand both are HBCU rivals in the same state - but last I read Grambling needs to worry about Grambling! That school's admissions standards are pretty much the same as the rest of the SWAC. Like I said earlier I find it fascinating so many "sincere" and "concerned" non-SU people are all up in SU's business! First you guys were bitching about the pay SU is giving President Mason - now you're bitching about SU raising it's academic standards. Reads like SU infatuation to me. :shame: :D

What the hell does Grambling have to do with Southern's admissions standards? I understand both are HBCU rivals in the same state - but last I read Grambling needs to worry about Grambling! That school's admissions standards are pretty much the same as the rest of the SWAC. Like I said earlier I find it fascinating so many "sincere" and "concerned" non-SU people are all up in SU's business! First you guys were bitching about the pay SU is giving President Mason - now you're bitching about SU raising it's academic standards. Reads like SU infatuation to me. :shame: :D

Don't assume! Grambling has raised it's admission standards in phases and continue to raise them yearly a score of 20 on ACT is not the norm in the SWAC. The phases began in 2006 and they were implemented to align Grambling's admissions standards with the rest of the universities in the University of Louisiana System.

Last edited:
Don't assume! Grambling has raised it's admission standards in phases and continue to raise them yearly a score of 20 on ACT is not the norm in the SWAC. The phases began in 2006 and they were implemented to align Grambling's admissions standards with the rest of the universities in the University of Louisiana System.

is 20 the minimum score that all high school grads must have to get into gsu and su or is that just one way? The way that I interpreted it, thats merely one option. A high school student can get in as long as he has a 2.0 or graduate in the upper 50% of his class or score 20.

That is called admiration. You know this board is full of haters that are against JSU and SU but deep down those negative comments they say about the Mighty Bluez Cats are all cry outs of respect, admiration and wanna be like the Mikes of the SWAC.
Look at the facts.
JSU or SU always win the swac attendance record
Everyone comes out to see us play, supports and haters
We both have the best bands-JSU #1, SU #2
We both wear the most admired color in the world (All shades of Bluez)
We both have the best fans in the SWAC.
We both have the best looking & most admired dance team
We both beat a SEC team in baseball. JSU slugged Moo State and SU slugged LSpoo.
I can go on and on
CAN I GET A ROLE CALL FOR THOSE WHO KNOW THESE STATEMENTS ARE TRUE?

Last edited:
My last comment was a response to this comment

You can say that again. They are so bad off that schools have been merging. I was surprised when I went home last weekend that Jackson and Clinton high school merged.

They actually should have been merged those two schools together. It made no sense to have two small high schools in the parish. It was better to have one mid-sized school for the entire parish.

Back