Southern University System President Pay package

Individuals who are instrumental in firing presidents will never gain the support for the one individuals bring in, no matter how good he or she is.

Dude you sound crazy. Who are you Confucious or somebody? Worry about what's happening in Huntsville.

Damn, the concern here is kind of suspect. All of the SU people who have posted are for Mason's salary - yet everyone else outside of SU got their panties in a bunch.

Well, for you people who are so adamantly "concerned" about the welfare of SU - I received an inside track from SU's admissions/enrollment office yesterday and it looks like we are maintaining at a nice pace for the upcoming school year - even with the increased (SWAC's highest) admissions standards.

Just like "NUMBER1" said SU will be just fine.

Philly Jag,

All we are saying is that the folks who are doing this don't have the best interest of SU or Grambling at heart. How many minority kids are going to make 21 on the ACT. All those other schools gobble them up. Don't be fooled ... Enrollement is goingb to decline. That is the intent.

Sujag,

never say never ... SU is not immune. We are in this together. It's not just about SU, but check out the comments in the link.

Mighty dog is old,.... but wise.

links...

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/97546564.html

Dude you sound crazy. Who are you Confucious or somebody? Worry about what's happening in Huntsville.

Damn, the concern here is kind of suspect. All of the SU people who have posted are for Mason's salary - yet everyone else outside of SU got their panties in a bunch.

Well, for you people who are so adamantly "concerned" about the welfare of SU - I received an inside track from SU's admissions/enrollment office yesterday and it looks like we are maintaining at a nice pace for the upcoming school year - even with the increased (SWAC's highest) admissions standards.

Just like "NUMBER1" said SU will be just fine.

I am not worried about SU, but I did read the comments of Clayton and your Alums.

Sujag,

never say never ... SU is not immune. We are in this together. It's not just about SU, but check out the comments in the link.

You always post articles about SU why didnt you post this about Gram.

Grambling State University audit uncovers loss of $1M

Auditors report says university bought stock illegally
By Stephen Largen • slargen@monroe.gannett.com • June 29, 2010

State University in the last fiscal year violated two state laws and lost more than $1 million in the stock market, in addition to failing to correct poor accounting practices noted in previous audits, a Louisiana Legislative Auditor's report released Monday said.

The report covers the fiscal year that ended June 30, 2009 — six months before new GSU President Frank Pogue arrived on campus.

In one instance, auditors said GSU purchased stock valued at more than $2.6 million using money that by state law can only be spent on university facilities. In violation of state law and its own cash management policy, GSU used $2,606,899 in plant funds to purchase the stock, which was valued at $1,529,426 on June 30, 2009 — more than $1 million less than the stock's purchase price.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/...ng-State-University-audit-uncovers-loss-of-1M

Philly Jag,

All we are saying is that the folks who are doing this don't have the best interest of SU or Grambling at heart. How many minority kids are going to make 21 on the ACT. All those other schools gobble them up. Don't be fooled ... Enrollement is goingb to decline. That is the intent.

Sujag,

links...

This is crap. Who is we??? We who??? THAMES your motive for posting this silly article was to make SU look bad - point blank. And who else would raise concerns about another school increasing its admissions standards? Who does that? SU is none of your concern or anybody from Grambling State for that matter. Now you want to turn this into some unified SWAC "kumbaya" moment like you have SU's best interest at heart. Get real dude.

The state of Louisiana is screwing SU bad. Today, the advocate reported that SUBR will cut faculty positions by 30% and eliminate 5 academic programs. cutting all these jobs but yet manage to give mason 400,000.00

Once again, his salary has nothing to do with jobs at SU. How many jobs and programs would have been saved with a slightly lower salary? Again even if he agreed to come in and work without pay for a year or two, that still wouldn't have saved those programs or jobs.

Every schools in Louisiana has had to make cuts, but in turn SU will be able to raise its tuition 10%. Raising standards is about shifting those unprepared students to the community colleges for 2-years, then allowing those students to transfer to the 4-year universities better prepared for success. The state's goal is to raise graduation rates and improve student retention. Raising entrance standards will allow SU to do that. The enrollment is not going to decrease since you will be retaining a higher percentage of your better prepared students.

In fact, if some of the other schools cut programs that we actually offer, we might actually attract more students to our campus.

Peeps leave SU alone and let them do them, opinions don't sit will with those people. If it was the right move it will be seen, if it's not it will be seen but that's SU's problem no one's else. P.S. to the GSU stock poster. GSU didn't post the money for the stock, a third party did that and we will soon find out who did it. Dr. Pogue is getting to the bottom of it. We will get through this i'm sure.

Peeps leave SU alone and let them do them, opinions don't sit will with those people. If it was the right move it will be seen, if it's not it will be seen but that's SU's problem no one's else. P.S. to the GSU stock poster. GSU didn't post the money for the stock, a third party did that and we will soon find out who did it. Dr. Pogue is getting to the bottom of it. We will get through this i'm sure.

You Grambling guys are idiots. Layoffs or not - what college system would pay its president the same pay as him leading one campus?

You Grambling guys are idiots. Layoffs or not - what college system would pay its president the same pay as him leading one campus?

Stop whining. People will have their opinions, if SU peeps can't handle other peeps opinions then that's on you all. Like i said earlier, it's SU's money so let SU do what they please. It's not that serious. Sheesh.:shame:

Stop whining. People will have their opinions, if SU peeps can't handle other peeps opinions then that's on you all. Like i said earlier, it's SU's money so let SU do what they please. It's not that serious. Sheesh.:shame:

Beat it USA. The back exit door for you Gramblingnites is to the left.

Philly Jag,

Sujag,

links...

MD does have some words of wisdom.

Philly Jag,

Sujag,

links...

Who's requiring a 21 now??

I have no problems with shifting kids to CC's. I do think 21 is a bit steep and will hurt athletics but hey, we shall see.

My only complaint with the 21 would be that it in some ways marks a clear turning away from those we (HBCUs) have historically primarily serve... The CCs are there, true... but I guess it's a decision institutions have to make of whether they want to now pursue educational elitism without regard to what i've just mentioned or hold true to founding and historical missions of our HBCUs. In my own opinion I believe a more compelling argument can be made for those who try to insure that (at least to some degree) an open door will remain there for those typically under-served educationally, particularly in the African American community.

Now, clearly there'll be an argument that standards need to be raised at the grade-school level so that "our" students can meet the new requirements (i.e. a 21) but until that is a reality... is it a figurative shut door in the face of many who'd call Southern home? ...

At any rate Southern will net more well-prepared entering classes. I'm just arguing that our legacy as HBCUs has always been value-added anyway... and not so much what you arrive on campus knowning.

I have no problems with shifting kids to CC's. I do think 21 is a bit steep and will hurt athletics but hey, we shall see.

It isn't going to hurt athletics at all. In fact, it is going to do the opposite because this wil allow us to offer more funding around the school, which prevents further cuts in athletics. Also since we will be getting better prepared students, our APR should also improve. Since we do have 2 gigantic community colleges, in BRCC and Delgado CC that will allow us to get those players that don't qualify(in basketball and baseball).

Besides SU had 20 as its qualifying score for a few years, so a 21 isn't that big of an increase.

Last edited:
My only complaint with the 21 would be that it in some ways marks a clear turning away from those we (HBCUs) have historically primarily serve... The CCs are there, true... but I guess it's a decision institutions have to make of whether they want to now pursue educational elitism without regard to what i've just mentioned or hold true to founding and historical missions of our HBCUs. In my own opinion I believe a more compelling argument can be made for those who try to insure that (at least to some degree) an open door will remain there for those typically under-served educationally, particularly in the African American community.

Now, clearly there'll be an argument that standards need to be raised at the grade-school level so that "our" students can meet the new requirements (i.e. a 21) but until that is a reality... is it a figurative shut door in the face of many who'd call Southern home? ...

At any rate Southern will net more well-prepared entering classes. I'm just arguing that our legacy as HBCUs has always been value-added anyway... and not so much what you arrive on campus knowning.

Yeah i feel ya, I hate that GSU moved to a 20 ACT admission score. HBCU's are losing focus on why they were created. I understand raising standards but many can't make a 20 or a 21. Majority of high schools in America aren't equipped with materials and technology to better prepare the youth but many overlook that. The ACT is bias and not valid for all.:shame:

I hate to say this, but it is either be open to everyone and suffer funding loss, or raise standards to receive more funding. It is time to evolve, those students can attend the community colleges and transfer(which is also more cost-effective on their end).

I hate to say this, but it is either be open to everyone and suffer funding loss, or raise standards to receive more funding. It is time to evolve, those students can attend the community colleges and transfer(which is also more cost-effective on their end).

I hate to say this, but a major problem that's happening now is people have to attend the CC then after their times is up there they get suckered to transferring to the PWC since. It's forced in their heads that their better and since they are transferring it's easier to get in. The "white is right" mentality is alive and well so all is not so peachy. Admissions standards that are to high for most of our people, meaning the black people that actually would love to attend an HBCU will kill HBCU's in the long run: many people aren't paying attention to it though because they feel that we should try to be just like the LSU's and Miss. States. We are killing our ownselves and don't realize it.

Last edited:
Back