Southern to announce Kerrick Jackson as new head baseball coach on Tuesday

The last five minutes of the press conference was very impressive by Coach Banks.

Banks is about the business. I think we got a winner as AD. We knew he can Coach. But he seems to have made good sound decisions since being in that spot.

Cador had zero coaching experience as well when he took over SU. So did a lot of coaches even at the PWC level getting jobs after being assistants. And how do you know Cador did not know this guy? How do you know he didn't sit in on the interviews with Banks? And it shouldn't be Cador's pick anyway. He aint the AD. Banks is. You will make every attempt to down a hire. Even the white folks said it was a good hire. LOL.
Same can be said for Florida's baseball coach. He had 0 head coaching experience, but his connections and rep in the game made him a valuable target. 10 years later, Florida has been to Omaha 6 times and just won the title. Folks go a little too far with picking on the "no head coaching experience" thing. If we were a powerhouse program that always reached Omaha or the Super Regionals, then I can see folks pointing out his head coaching experience.

Dude, Florida is light years ahead of su in resources. There's no comparison.
You know damn well I was comparing the whole hiring an inexperience head coach situation and not the actual programs themselves. smh

The situation for hiring a coach is the exact same. If anything, Florida would be more inclined to hire someone with coaching experience due to the high-profile nature, unlimited resources, and higher demands of that job. As you said, we don't have that level of resources, so us hiring a coach with limited head coaching experience isn't as big of a deal. Especially considering the big powerhouse schools do the same thing. New coaches have to get experience somewhere.

You know damn well I was comparing the whole hiring an inexperience head coach situation and not the actual programs themselves. smh

The situation for hiring a coach is the exact same. If anything, Florida would be more inclined to hire someone with coaching experience due to the high-profile nature, unlimited resources, and higher demands of that job. As you said, we don't have that level of resources, so us hiring a coach with limited head coaching experience isn't as big of a deal. Especially considering the big powerhouse schools do the same thing. New coaches have to get experience somewhere.

Is he keeping any of the coaches on staff?

JayRob,
More than likely, the next coach was not going to have much head coaching experience.
Regardless of how much experience he has or doesn't have, we will hope for the best for SU and the SWAC.

Is he keeping any of the coaches on staff?
One of the articles said he was keeping one of the assistants. Canevari is out and Jones will stay.

Assistant coach Elliott Jones will stay on as the presumed second-in-command as Jackson searches for a third coach to round out the staff. Jones was hitting coach under Cador and handled day-to-day operations during the transition. He did not interview for the head coaching position.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/article_9ea80888-717d-11e7-823b-57ab3410335a.html

I was about to attack, but I took a breath and calmed down before posting. lol

Exactly. You have to remember who you're dealing with when chatting with some of these JSU folks. The fact any of them question the hiring of a head coach without head coaching experience should bring you back to the reality of the level of tone deafness that surrounds them.

And saying a coach with zero head coaching experience is a "good hire", with no evidence of it being a good hire, is a bit deaf tone too.
Let me bite, He was a "good hire" because he has experience in recruiting the current area, he has experience with knowledge of NCAA APR(and we/SU really needs that), he was a "good hire" coming from a HBCU he should understand the struggles we have from a budgetary standpoint, he has contacts in the scouting world.

He has zero "head coaching" experience, but he has coaching experience. Plus, let's not forget the guy who hired him(Banks) had nearly the same amount of head coaching experience when he took over the basketball program.

And even though the sport is different, Fobbs had very little coaching experience before he took over at Grambling.

Look at how much "head coaching" experience Odums had before his 1st game as interim....how did do in that game? What was the result?

You're saying this about other coaches "after the fact'. Perhaps all of what you mentioned will prove that it's a "good hire", but right now, we're only guessing. For all we know, su could finish last in it's division next year, but I hear what you're saying.

Exactly. You have to remember who you're dealing with when chatting with some of these JSU folks. The fact any of them question the hiring of a head coach without head coaching experience should bring you back to the reality of the level of tone deafness that surrounds them.

I never said he was not a good coach. I said I hope he can get SU to compete with JSU.. the most consistent program in the conference right now.

What am I missing?

Back