So Texas Southern

THEESwacProphet

THEE SWACs Neighborhood Prophet
Word on the band street is gib and grays having some internal beef because gray was trying to tell some lies and start some mess to Texas southern higher ups to get gibs up out of there.... and there has been some friction in the band this year... I can present evidence of my sources but long story short gib and gray having relationship problems over there at Texas southern? Man first haymer, the band sounding grade a slaw early in the year, and now the assistant bd and bd beefing ? What’s going on over there in h town... something definitely ain’t right and now y’alls dirty laundry getting aired out by the band community including band directors from other schools ? You can’t make this up....smh

Last edited:

@LuvTheBoom16 @Storm96 @number1 Gib was placed on leave for reasons I prefer not to get into but the band kids love Gib so I doubt he's going anywhere without a fight. But this is my first time hearing the BDs were not getting along, I was told by a reliable source that it was something else but I guess that something else could've led to some contention now I think about it.

But as always things will eventually work itself out, The Ocean of Soul is one of TSU's most prized investments so alumni and university supporters ain't gon let it fail. I've been pleased with the band performance this year and they didn't miss a beat Saturday. It's The Ocean of Soul 50th anniversary so this year will be very memorable and event filled.

Last edited:
@LuvTheBoom16 @Storm96 @number1 Gib was placed on leave for reasons I prefer not to get into but the band kids love Gib so I doubt he's going anywhere without a fight. But this is my first time hearing the BDs were not getting along, I was told by a reliable source that it was mostly something else but I guess that something else could've led to some contention now I think about it.

But as always things will eventually work itself out, The Ocean of Soul is one of TSU's most prized investments so alumni and university supporters ain't gon let it fail. I've been pleased with the band performance this year and they didn't miss a beat Saturday. It's The Ocean of Soul 50th anniversary so this year is will be very memorable and event filled
The president wanted him out, many of the alumni have been wanting him out, some of the allegations which I wont speak of has been out against him for a while now, so I wont be surprised if he get the boot. I'd personally like to see new people of the program.

Reactions: JR
The president wanted him out, many of the alumni have been wanting him out, some of the allegations which I wont speak of has been out against him for a while now, so I wont be surprised if he get the boot. I'd personally like to see new people of the program.

I actually like to see the band led by a new person and he takes a lesser role. The Ocean has so much potential and I don't see the band reaching higher heights with Gib. We are the largest HBCU and one of the wealthiest in the SWAC but we have the smallest band ... huh??

@LuvTheBoom16 @Storm96 @number1 Gib was placed on leave for reasons I prefer not to get into but the band kids love Gib so I doubt he's going anywhere without a fight. But this is my first time hearing the BDs were not getting along, I was told by a reliable source that it was something else but I guess that something else could've led to some contention now I think about it.

But as always things will eventually work itself out, The Ocean of Soul is one of TSU's most prized investments so alumni and university supporters ain't gon let it fail. I've been pleased with the band performance this year and they didn't miss a beat Saturday. It's The Ocean of Soul 50th anniversary so this year will be very memorable and event filled.

You been pleased with your bands performance this year????

Apparently it doesn’t take much, if anything at all to please you.

You been pleased with your bands performance this year????

Apparently it doesn’t take much, if anything at all to please you.

I'm their toughest critic ... they sound good. You think Haymer would want to be affiliated with a trash program?

View: https://youtu.be/pxn3JEXfbp0

Start at the 1:42:33 mark and listen forward. In a interview with stillman director of bands PJ Howard who is very close with Gibs, and has had recent conversations with gibs about the internal mess Texas southern got going on. Normally , I take these interviews with a grain of salt , but Obviously based on the reaction to what was said there is some truth to this and current Texas southern band students are confirming this.

Last edited:
Just spill it! I'll be upfront, I don't like him and I want him gone. That Haymer mess was inexcusable far as I'm concerned.

Let me say , idk if it’s fact or not but from y’all’s response it’s definitely some truths... Allegedly your assistant of bands Christopher Gray was spilling some untruths to the Texas southern administration to get gibs fired and take over as head director of bands.

Allegedly, grays and gibs got some pictures going around because of a personal relationship if you catch my drift and it’s getting messy because of the above statement. Classic case of business and pleasure going south.

Now Grays motive for trying to overthrow gibs could be because yalls dealings with Haymer as an arranger and the fact grays is the chief arranger currently... idk but if I’m arranging and I hear you got a well known arranger coming in and trying to write... I’d feel disrespected...

Also allegedly, there was some cheating going on in there little relationship they had...

Now to be fair idk PJ Howard’s angle of why he would spill that because there’s always a motive behind mess like this, however Texas southern students and alum aren’t denying it in Facebook and clearly this forum. So, something is going on and if what I’m saying is false then speak on it but there are some truths to what Mr. Howard is saying from current band students who are coming forward saying they can’t say much , but something is going on... The only man who could clear his name is gibs and grays himself.. I’m not here to speak Ill of Texas southern, however as I said and learned in Alpha, the house is not secured and you got strangers leaking some truths that should be staying in-house. If this is going on, my prayers to the kids because they’re hurting the most out all this...

Last edited:
What is he suspended for?

Allegedly, some students came forward and shared some information in motivation to get him removed in concert with the assistant band director who wants gibs job. If I had to guess could be hazing accusations, could be financial mismanagement, the politics of band, but whatever warranted his suspension I can confirm was caused by complaints internally and Texas Southern higher ups wanting to take a look into it. Expect staff changes after this year at Texas Southern.

1) students in what administrative capacity?
2) my hbcu over your fraternity. Always.
3) still gossip

Back