Sharpton to run for President

cat daddy

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/2003-01-03-sharpton-white-house_x.htm

Sharpton to explore presidential bid

NEW YORK (AP) ? The Rev. Al Sharpton announced Friday that he will form a presidential exploratory committee, saying he is probably more qualified than any other Democrat seeking the White House.

"I am running for president to finally put the issues concerning most Americans onto the front burner," the 48-year-old civil rights activist said in a statement.

He expects to file papers with the Federal Election Commission on Jan. 21, spokeswoman Rachel Noerdlinger said.

"I'm qualified, probably more qualified than any other person who is expected to be on the Democratic ticket for 2004, because I actually have a following and I speak for the people," said Sharpton, who has never held public office.

He will make stops in South Carolina and New Hampshire this month to enhance his visibility in the early primary states. Sharpton also will travel to Boston this weekend and is scheduled to speak Monday at Harvard.

Sharpton joins Vermont Gov. Howard Dean, Rep. Dick Gephardt of Missouri, Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry and North Carolina Sen. John Edwards in a crowded Democratic field.

Preparing for the campaign, Sharpton criss-crossed the country last year giving speeches and wrote a book titled "Al on America" that was released in October. In the book, the black leader said presidential politics has become "an exclusive club for white males, of a certain income, of a certain age."

Sharpton, who wants to bring the party back to its liberal roots, said he would bring diversity of views ? and color ? to the homogeneous Democratic lineup.

"Without me in the race, it will be part of the exclusive club picture again," he said.

Sharpton unsuccessfully sought the Democratic nomination for Senate in 1994 and the party's mayoral nomination in 1997.

As head of the nonprofit civil rights group National Action Network, Sharpton has been considered a polarizing figure by many.

But he's moderated his positions in recent years, aligning himself more closely with the party establishment by appearing with Democratic National Chairman Terry McAuliffe, former President Clinton and Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton and Chuck Schumer. He's also visited with Republicans, including New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

The national spotlight first focused on Sharpton in 1987 when he served as a spokesman for black teenager Tawana Brawley, who claimed she was raped by a gang of white men. A grand jury later concluded her story was a hoax.

Sharpton later made headlines as a spokesman against police brutality, representing police torture victim Abner Louima and the family of Amadou Diallo, who was fatally shot by police as he reached for his wallet in the vestibule of his Bronx apartment.

Sharpton said his background and experience as a civil rights leader gives him more insight into the plight of ordinary Americans than his competitors.

"They have been on the public payroll most of their life," he said. "I have an experience far closer to the average American, therefore I have a richer base to deal from as I confront what I think is a critical time for the American public."

For some reason, I have a problem taking Al Sharpton seriously. I don't know, it just something about him...

But I understand that is not Mr. Sharpton's problem. Thats my problem. Thats something that I have to work on within myself. He maybe the best man for the job, but..............:smh:

Well Cornell West is on his exploratory committee and he has people giving him loot already. I met him at the State of the Black World Conf. in Atlanta last year.

He is smarter then most people think, it will just be hard for him to be taken serious. But once he speaks on issues that affect people of color not just black people but all people of color he might get support.

Did he even finish college?

Not for nothing, but if I remember correctly, he dropped out of college. I just don't think we're going to take a non college grad seriously for the presidential position. Now don't get me wrong, you don't have to be smart to get a college degree. All you have to do is look at Bush to know that.

Nevertheless, I'm faxing my resume off to Sharpton (probably won't get a response) and will offer to do some public opinion research for him in order to tailor his message into something palatable to the public. I think he has something to add as long as he doesn't get placed into the "reverand" box. He has to watch his rhetoric and hyperbole and stay on issues. If he does that and hit his populist themes, he should get his issues to the table.

Lamont

Personally, I think Al Sharpton embodies all of the ideals and symbolism of the Democratic party.

:D :D :D

Originally posted by Makaho Bedrock
Personally, I think Al Sharpton embodies all of the ideals and symbolism of the Democratic party.

:D :D :D

And I suppose you think that Trent Lott embodies all of the ideals and symbolism of the Republican Party? :D :D :D

Quite frankly, I feel the same way about Allen Keys (sp?) and J. C. Watts as I do about Al Sharpton. I just have a hard time taking either one of them serious.

But like I said before, that is my problem, not theirs.

After that episode with that girl who said she was raped back in the day.....I find it hard to support Sharpton.

Originally posted by JSU*Toi

He is smarter then most people think, it will just be hard for him to be taken serious.

Sharpton v. Watts v. Keys......what a debate.....Perm v. Uncle Tom v. Bearded Lady......

What a LLEH of a Presidential Debate. Personally speaking Keys would be the most articulate, Watts would present conclusions to already completed policies, and Sharpton would be presenting issues that Jesse Jackson thought of in his first run at the Office of President.

Originally posted by TSU/BAMA

Quite frankly, I feel the same way about Allen Keys (sp?) and J. C. Watts as I do about Al Sharpton. I just have a hard time taking either one of them serious.

But like I said before, that is my problem, not theirs.

Oh BEHAVE!

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet NUPE
Sharpton v. Watts v. Keys......what a debate.....Perm v. Uncle Tom v. Bearded Lady......

What a LLEH of a Presidential Debate. Personally speaking Keys would be the most articulate, Watts would present conclusions to already completed policies, and Sharpton would be presenting issues that Jesse Jackson thought of in his first run at the Office of President.

Yes, Yes! So true. Another reason why I find it hard to take him seriously is....... "THE ROLLER SET". I heard him on one of the political debate shows and he was actually articulate and held his own. But the entire time I was like, dayum, his hair is SOOOOOOOOO thick he must use a super. :rolleyes:

Re: Oh BEHAVE!

Originally posted by Seeing Spots

Yes, Yes! So true. Another reason why I find it hard to take him seriously is....... "THE ROLLER SET". I heard him on one of the political debate shows and he was actually articulate and held his own. But the entire time I was like, dayum, his hair is SOOOOOOOOO thick he must use a super. :rolleyes:

:lmao:

I agree with most of you guys is going to be hard for most Americans to take him seriously. That Tawana Brawley case is going to be a huge thorn in his side during a presidential run. The people of New York City, one of the most liberal cities in America, could not take him seriously, how does he expect to win over the rest of us?

Re: Re: Oh BEHAVE!

My sister lives in Harlem and heard him speak, and she stated there were people in the crowd telling him to go home.....

Originally posted by cat daddy

The people of New York City, one of the most liberal cities in America, could not take him seriously, how does he expect to win over the rest of us?

Originally posted by BluBlood
What ya got against Watts?

Nothing. I really don't have anything against Watts. I just don't think I would vote for him for President.

But now, back to Al Sharpton. I think Mr. Sharpton is most effective in the position that he is in now. If , by some miracle, he was elected President, I think that office would "consume" him. I mean, he has to remember that he is president of the whole country and leader of the "free" world, :rolleyes: err, what ever that is. He not only have to deal with the problem of Black Americans, which is only about 15% of the population, but he also have to address the concerns of the other 85% of the population. What is his stand on foreign policy? What would he do with the economy? :smh:

You know, quite frankly, I don't know why anyone would want that job (President of the United States).

We all know DAYUM well Big Perm will not be able to handle that situation.....

Originally posted by TSU/BAMA

He not only have to deal with the problem of Black Americans, which is only about 15% of the population, but he also have to address the concerns of the other 85% of the population. What is his stand on foreign policy? What would he do with the economy? :smh:

Yall sitting here discussing this like Sharpton actually has asnowballs chance in hell of even getting the democratic nomination.

But continue on....

Sharpton will never win and it only takes away votes from a candidate who has better chances of winning.

Sort of like 4 Deltas running for Ms. Grambling. You know out of those 4 girls running, only 1 has a strong chance of winning against the other candidates. The other 3 girls only take away from the Delta vote. That way the other candidate wins.

Originally posted by NASTYNUPE
Sharpton will never win and it only takes away votes from a candidate who has better chances of winning.

I think his point is mainly to bring up certain issues to the forefront. He will at least get the other candidates talking about issues that affect us. I think that is his main objective.

Re: Re: Re: Oh BEHAVE!

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet NUPE
My sister lives in Harlem and heard him speak, and she stated there were people in the crowd telling him to go home.....

Have you heard him?????

I know he will not get the democratic nomination. My point is that he is not the fool that everyone makes him out to be. I have seen in in debates and he does hold his own. He is much better at getting his point across then Jesse Jackson is. That is my point.

Well maybe he needs to run for congressman or senate. He won't have a chance in hell to win president. I'm not saying what the brother has to say doesn't need to be heard. I'm not sure what his motives are either. But after HBO exposed him on that cocaine deal, America won't really take him seriously.

NN

Originally posted by jag4life

I think his point is mainly to bring up certain issues to the forefront. He will at least get the other candidates talking about issues that affect us. I think that is his main objective.

Originally posted by NASTYNUPE
But after HBO exposed him on that cocaine deal, America won't really take him seriously.

NN

I don't think that will hurt him. That cocaine thing really just showed how the FBI was trying to do anything to set him up. He would have been arrested if he had done anything wrong...and on tape at that?!?! A lot of Americans didn't take him seriously before that anyway.

I read an article/interview about him and to me he seems totally different than how he is put out there. Now I wouldn't vote for him but I would be very interested in what he has to say.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Oh BEHAVE!

There is no difference in hearing him in person or on television.....the dude has no chance of becoming President and for that matter even a Congressman......

Originally posted by JSU*Toi

Have you heard him?????

I know he will not get the democratic nomination. My point is that he is not the fool that everyone makes him out to be. I have seen in in debates and he does hold his own. He is much better at getting his point across then Jesse Jackson is. That is my point.

Back