School Daze & Breakfast Club to Be remade!!!

http://www.moviehole.net/news/4977.html

In other 'lets do it again' news, Spike Lee tells The Miami Herald that he's doing a sequel to his 80's fave "School Daze". In the sequel, Lee said he hoped to examine gangsta rap's negative impact on black culture, adding that he was inspired by Spelman students' recent stand against Nelly's "Tip Drill" video. The rapper angered students of the nation's most famous black women's college when he appeared in a video showing an image of him swiping a credit card through a woman's backside. Many gathered last April to protest Nelly's appearance at an Atlanta charity event, prompting him to cancel. "I really like hip-hop, but this gangsta rap stuff has really gotten ridiculous," he said. Needless to say Nelly won't be providing toons for the soundtrack - I assume.

BILBREW said:
You have to keep in mind the time gap between the remakes/updates.

If by some chance School Daze was to be remade in the next couple of years, it would basically be in the same generation with a good number of the patrons that would typically watch that type of film. On the other hand, the majority of the audience that would partronize a film such as "Guess Who" were either not yet born or too young to recall the original "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner"(even though most may have seen it since then).

"Guess Who" was only loosely based on "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner", so I wouldn't even put it in the same category of a "School Daze" or "Breakfast Club" remake.

It's still just entertainment.
With all the reality crap on TV, who cares about the time frame.

staggalee83 said:
It's still just entertainment.
With all the reality crap on TV, who cares about the time frame.

"It's just entertainment" is not a valid intellectual response to a debatable topic.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Oh lawd ...........talk about being STUCK ON YOURSELF...................but..................

I sorry :idea: ......................I didn't know that a damm movie like "SCHOOL DAZE" warrented DOCTORIAL RESEARCH on the subject egghead. :look: :look:

Pbla, Panthro and the takes saying "what's the point",,, massive co-sign. School Daze was an instant classic. i don't see how it could be successfully redone so soon though.

Bartram said:
Pbla, Panthro and the takes saying "what's the point",,, massive co-sign. School Daze was an instant classic. i don't see how it could be successfully redone so soon though.

I agree, somethings just need to be left alone.

Bartram said:
yeah,, i wonder how Spike feels about this if it is legit?

Bart, Spike must feel positive about it since he's entertaining the thought of doing a sequel.

Spike, is not crazy, he's seen the impact of the dollars that could be made off of a sequel. Prior to "It's A Different World", the HBCU experience was not captured in a realistic way in mainstream America. Then "School Daze" came along, and it was an instant hit/classic.

If done the right way, I'm sure he could, or someone could make another hit. Look at what "Drumline" did at the box office, and like it, or not, BET's College Hill is a hit, albeit for the wrong reasons, but a hit nonetheless.

What I'm trying to say is, there's a market for it, granted I don't think a School Daze remake is warranted, but a sequel is definitely what the doctor ordered.

NICE

Bartram said:
yeah,, i wonder how Spike feels about this if it is legit?

Spike feels fine about it, because he's the person proposing it. Not a remake, though... He proposing a sequel. (see my post above)
Last time it was greek life. This time it's gangsta rap. It could be interesting. He just shouldn't make it into another Bamboozled.

I don't think a sequal or update can be made of "the breakfast club".
Only a remake once again is there any young stars today you can see playing the 4 teens in detention?
:|

It would seem to me that Spike is creative enough to let a classic like School Daze marinade a bit longer is all i'm saying. You just can't re-make School Daze so soon it would seem,, unless you are looking at dollar signs,, and no problem with that,, but just adding to this thread,, i don't see it. If it is good I will be suprised,, and i'm on record now as saying i'm going to go see it just to see. School Daze (the original) rules. FOREVER!

Back