Rumor Mill: More Teams Leaving the MEAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Louisiana definitely can do a better job in funding its higher education, but it would require a massive overhaul on the way the state does business. No way Louisiana should grant all those tax breaks and subsidies to big corporations, especially those in the oil and gas industries. Louisiana should make those subsidized companies put more back into its economy, which is how it should be determined on which companies get subsidized and how much.

Louisiana ass backward ways of doing business have made big corporations richer and its people poorer.

Louisiana has a cultural program.

I'm glad you posted that. Black people under 45 either ignore the Regan era or have no idea the catastrophic things Regan did. Regan was a true devil. He hated black people. The only difference between what Trump is trying to do and what Regan actually did is Regan wasn't ignorant like Trump and spewed it out his mouth. He did in bills that will have consequences on minorities until 2050 and beyond.

Bruh, I work at an HBCU and Trump has pumped more federal funding to HBCUs than any President in this country's history. And, Trump didn't have HBCUs waiting on their coronavirus aid checks either. Unless Reagan provided federal funding to HBCUs like Trump did you can't compare the two as far as doing things for HBCUs and Black folks. You sound like you want a politician to sweet talk you while delivering little. Trump isn't a career politician, he's cut and dry, tells it like it is, and he produces results. I remember hearing that HBCU Presidents that met with Trump were just going for a photo-op. That was a damn lie from the pit of hell.

Louisiana has a cultural program.

With its vast amount of resources and its location, Louisiana can keep its culture, but change the way it does business. Everybody knows corruption starts with the Long family who were Democrats, but now the Republicans have continue the corruption exponentially with almost zero return value back to the people. At least when the Democrats were in charge, they shared a portion of those kickbacks with a vast majority of the people in Louisiana. Now that the Republicans are in charge, they are taking peanuts from big corporations in that name of conservatism, while Louisiana is being robbed of billions maybe trillions from big corporations, particularly the oil and gas industry. With that type of corruption, Louisiana will never be able to diversify its economy. But I do believe a few are slowly catching on and are trying to change that culture. Jindal's sorry attempt to run for President might have been the straw that broke the camel's back. The money given to big corporations through tax breaks and subsidies could go to higher education in order to fund more programs for research and development to support other industries, particularly the high tech industry.

Here's a video that was put together by a group of individuals to help others see the rich and poor paradox in Louisiana. There's nothing wrong with giving big corporations tax breaks, but it should be done in a way that the state should gets a larger return value on its investment of subsidizing big corporations property taxes.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWTic9btP38

Last edited:
Trump didn't produce nothing. It was the black cacus who got that federal funding that you believe Trump gave to HBCUs. Trump hasn't produced nothing. It's all smoke and mirrors. The only reason the stock market is up is because of companies bought their own stock back. Why do you think they got the biggest bail outs in this package. First of all HBCUs are not the whole black community. I was referring to the overall black community. Trump hasn't produced anything to help the black community. The average American citizen doesn't have health insurance. The average American citizen doesn't have a 401k. In fact the bills this idiot signed will do more harm to the underprivileged than anything. Name one thing that Trump has done to help the black community? I'll be waiting for your answer. You brag on Trump talking about he didn't have us waiting on checks. It was the house who put the bill together. Hell he should have pushed it through. It's his fault we have the virus in the USA. The idiot killed the team at the CDC.

Bruh, I work at an HBCU and Trump has pumped more federal funding to HBCUs than any President in this country's history. And, Trump didn't have HBCUs waiting on their coronavirus aid checks either. Unless Reagan provided federal funding to HBCUs like Trump did you can't compare the two as far as doing things for HBCUs and Black folks. You sound like you want a politician to sweet talk you while delivering little. Trump isn't a career politician, he's cut and dry, tells it like it is, and he produces results. I remember hearing that HBCU Presidents that met with Trump were just going for a photo-op. That was a damn lie from the pit of hell.

Last edited:
My problem with the MEAC and HBCU conferences in general is that there is a lack of brainstorming on how to make conference improvements, which should be done at some conference retreat with every member school's input. The same goes for HBCU athletic programs. We don't need to wait on others to come up with a plan for us to copy. We can be our own visionaries in our own unique way.

Posters on these message boards have a better clue than MEAC leadership. Some of us were saying for a while that the conference needed to whittle down to:

Howard
Morgan St
Norfolk St
Hampton
nccu
A&T
SC State

In 2015 FAMU consultants recommended a move to the SWAC and A&T leadership said they would explore moving to a new conference to save on travel costs. Yet they did nothing.

Appropriations come from the house, not the executive branch of the government! Period.Trump and his staff can claim responsibly for the funding if they choose but that’s not how it works.

Trump didn't produce nothing. It was the black cacus who got that federal funding that you believe Trump gave to HBCUs. Trump hasn't produced nothing. It's all smoke and mirrors. The only reason the stock market is up is because of companies bought their own stock back. Why do you think they got the biggest bail outs in this package. First of all HBCUs are not the whole black community. I was referring to the overall black community. Trump hasn't produced anything to help the black community. The average American citizen doesn't have health insurance. The average American citizen doesn't have a 401k. In fact the bills this idiot signed will do more harm to the underprivileged than anything. Name one thing that Trump has done to help the black community? I'll be waiting for your answer. You brag on Trump talking about he didn't have us waiting on checks. It was the house who put the bill together. Hell he should have pushed it through. It's his fault we have the virus in the USA. The idiot killed the team at the CDC.

The Black caucus? You're in a fantasy world. The CBC wouldn't even meet with Trump after one meeting. But, the CBC got more federal funding for HBCUs? You crazy! The most powerful CBC member is famous for frying fish and you think them mofos who are running and jumping for Pelosi are doing so much for H BCUs and Black folks. The only CBC member that gets any legislation passed is Eleanor Holmes Norton. See I actually check legislative records Mr. Fantasy Island. I already told you one thing that Trump did. It's not my fault you are in a fantasy land and giving props to Democrats who are the real ones screwing Black folks. And, you're blaming Trump for the coronavirus? LOL That's rich! LOL

Last edited:
Appropriations come from the house, not the executive branch of the government! Period.Trump and his staff can claim responsibly for the funding if they choose but that’s not how it works.

When Trump submitted his budget a lot of federal agencies were cut. HBCUs were in that budget but didn't get cut. If he wanted HBCU funding to get cut it would've happened but it didn't.

With its vast amount of resources and its location, Louisiana can keep its culture, but change the way it does business. Everybody knows corruption starts with the Long family who were Democrats, but now the Republicans have continue the corruption exponentially with almost zero return value back to the people. At least when the Democrats were in charge, they shared a portion of those kickbacks with a vast majority of the people in Louisiana. Now that the Republicans are in charge, they are taking peanuts from big corporations in that name of conservatism, while Louisiana is being robbed of billions maybe trillions from big corporations, particularly the oil and gas industry. With that type of corruption, Louisiana will never be able to diversify its economy. But I do believe a few are slowly catching on and are trying to change that culture. Jindal's sorry attempt to run for President might have been the straw that broke the camel's back. The money given to big corporations through tax breaks and subsidies could go to higher education in order to fund more programs for research and development to support other industries, particularly the high tech industry.

Here's a video that was put together by a group of individuals to help others see the rich and poor paradox in Louisiana. There's nothing wrong with giving big corporations tax breaks, but it should be done in a way that the state should gets a larger return value on its investment of subsidizing big corporations property taxes.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWTic9btP38

Louisiana's culture extends to its business practices.

Sure it does, but that doesn't mean it should be giving away billions. Someone needs to investigate the people appointed to the Boards in Louisiana and see how they are getting their pockets lined along with the politicians who appointed them. They did it to C. Ray Nagin, Jr. when he claimed on national T.V. that New Orleans shall remain a Chocolate City after Katrina. I'm sure a lot of politicians and political appointees are doing the same, which is probably why it was easy for them to prosecute Nagin.

I have a frat brother in Virginia who I pledged. He is dumb as a rock. His wife is now the mayor of a city. He supposedly runs a successful mentor program. Him and his wife mysteriously separated just before she got elected, but they are still married. IMO, his NON-PROFIT mentor program is a front in order to funnel monies to his politically involved separated wife. I'm sure there are several such instances that goes on like that in Louisiana on the state and local levels.

Here's a PBS report that shows how subsidized companies are still getting all these tax breaks without adding any jobs. In most cases, jobs are being lost. When the culture extends to the level of low life expectancy and the negative population growth in Louisiana, something needs to be done. Louisiana has the potential of having the country's most well funded educational system, which could be its main economic engine.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qwa5BHwl_XU

Last edited:

Also, now that Republicans are running the State Capitol, your excuse is Louisiana culture extends to its business practices. IMO, it goes beyond culture, but has everything to do with the extreme dumbness in the Republican Party. Yes Louisiana Democrats has it share of corruption, but not at this level of dumbness, where big corporations headquartered in other states are walking away with billions of Louisiana taxpayer's dollars.

We can talk all day and night, but almost all of our HBCUs need to clean house..... MOST of our HBCUS are satisfied with peanuts..
How many of our HBCUS are leads in research.. SU may get 700,000 to a million dollars in Social Research for HIV research for minorities but right across the lake, LSU gets 15 to 17 million for the same research.. This includes all HBCUS.. We are happy with peanuts... We fail to realize they give us money for a new building here or there just to say "hey Look we support our HBCU'S" but yet no state money comes in so we can maintain that facility etc. It's always a catch-22.

I love SU, but Exxon Mobil is in SU back yard. If they gave less then 1 percent of a yearly profit to SU and North BR where SU would be the lead in the community for ( after school programs for STEMS, community development, etc.

ExxonMobil has a scholarship program with Southern University but honestly what they give to Southern University is a complete embarrassment.. (I blame SU, you take peanuts when you could be getting more..

ExxonMobil also has a huge outreach program in the city of Baton Rouge yet as we all can see that money does not leave the pockets of these supposedly groups that are supposed to be helping out the city of Baton Rouge

I love SU, but Exxon Mobil is in SU back yard. If they gave less then 1 percent of a yearly profit to SU and North BR where SU would be the lead in the community for ( after school programs for STEMS, community development, etc.

ExxonMobil has a scholarship program with Southern University but honestly what they give to Southern University is a complete embarrassment.. (I blame SU, you take peanuts when you could be getting more..

ExxonMobil also has a huge outreach program in the city of Baton Rouge yet as we all can see that money does not leave the pockets of these supposedly groups that are supposed to be helping out the city of Baton Rouge

At the same time, Exxon-Mobil is eliminating jobs by the thousands while still receiving huge tax breaks. This is happening all over the state with big corporations. When Jindal was in office, a few companies said they were coming to get their hands on a few state freebies, but decided not to when all was said and done. A good example of this was Sundrop Fuel in Rapides Parish. I'm sure they collected a lot in state incentive, but wasn't required to pay it back.

I was at the Department of Education the first two years of Trump. There is some truth to what @Kamala is saying about the administration being willing to give money to HBCUs. Now, Booker and Harris played a big role but HBCUs were one thing the administration was willing to support from day 1.

Like @CEE DOG said though, that is not the entire black community but two things can be true. This administration has been pro-HBCU but anti-black people for what its worth.

The Obama Education department was ran by white progressives and those folks simply weren't HBCU friendly.

Also, now that Republicans are running the State Capitol, your excuse is Louisiana culture extends to its business practices. IMO, it goes beyond culture, but has everything to do with the extreme dumbness in the Republican Party. Yes Louisiana Democrats has it share of corruption, but not at this level of dumbness, where big corporations headquartered in other states are walking away with billions of Louisiana taxpayer's dollars.

Louisiana has a lazy culture. It's that Latin culture we got from the Spanish. If you've spent some time in Latin America you'll find the same culture. Compare the culture in New Orleans to Jackson, MS or Montgomery, AL. The people in Jackson and Montgomery work harder. Look at all the off days people get in New Orleans and the overall approach to life. I mention this because providing businesses tax breaks and subsidies to move to Louisiana is the lazy way. I remember it was at mayoral conference in Orlando a few years ago and Kip Holden, then BR mayor, was told his city (and by extension the entire state) won't attract any businesses from outside because the city isn't attractive to educated people. Instead of taking a more expensive yet more long-term beneficial route of bettering the state to attract businesses the state goes the lazy route and offers subsidies and tax breaks. Occasionally, a few businesses take up Louisiana's offer but as soon as those incentives time out those businesses leave.

Louisiana Republicans have a welfare mentality like Louisiana Democrats. It goes back to culture. Politicians here are too accustomed to the infusion of federal dollars keeping the state afloat. That mentality is holding the entire state back but I don't see this mentality abating.

Louisiana has a lazy culture. It's that Latin culture we got from the Spanish. If you've spent some time in Latin America you'll find the same culture. Compare the culture in New Orleans to Jackson, MS or Montgomery, AL. The people in Jackson and Montgomery work harder. Look at all the off days people get in New Orleans and the overall approach to life. I mention this because providing businesses tax breaks and subsidies to move to Louisiana is the lazy way. I remember it was at mayoral conferenis ce in Orlando a few years ago and Kip Holden, then BR mayor, was told his city (and by extension the entire state) won't attract any businesses from outside because the city isn't attractive to educated people. Instead of taking a more expensive yet more long-term beneficial route of bettering the state to attract businesses the state goes the lazy route and offers subsidies and tax breaks. Occasionally, a few businesses take up Louisiana's offer but as soon as those incentives time out those businesses leave.

Attracting business is one thing, but giving away taxpayers monies to rich corporations is another. It's just plain dumb and stupid for Louisiana Republicans to do that. Like I stated, at least the Democrats tried to share the wealth, which was Huey P. Long's political philosophy.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hphgHi6FD8k

Louisiana Republicans have a welfare mentality like Louisiana Democrats. It goes back to culture. Politicians here are too accustomed to the infusion of federal dollars keeping the state afloat. That mentality is holding the entire state back but I don't see this mentality abating.

Your response is misguided! Please don't pretend to be a know-it-all on Louisiana unless you really do know it all.

Louisiana has a lazy culture. It's that Latin culture we got from the Spanish. If you've spent some time in Latin America you'll find the same culture. Compare the culture in New Orleans to Jackson, MS or Montgomery, AL. The people in Jackson and Montgomery work harder. Look at all the off days people get in New Orleans and the overall approach to life. I mention this because providing businesses tax breaks and subsidies to move to Louisiana is the lazy way. I remember it was at mayoral conference in Orlando a few years ago and Kip Holden, then BR mayor, was told his city (and by extension the entire state) won't attract any businesses from outside because the city isn't attractive to educated people. Instead of taking a more expensive yet more long-term beneficial route of bettering the state to attract businesses the state goes the lazy route and offers subsidies and tax breaks. Occasionally, a few businesses take up Louisiana's offer but as soon as those incentives time out those businesses leave.

Louisiana is not a perfect place by any stretch of the imagination. But unless you are a L:eek:uisiana insider, and really do know it all, please do not pretend that you know all.

Louisiana is not a perfect place by any stretch of the imagination. But unless you are a L:eek:uisiana insider, and really do know it all, please do not pretend that you know all.

I said what I said. Deal with it. Louisiana is a state with a culture that fosters laziness and bad fiscal practices among other pathological behaviors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back