Ronald Mason given unanimous vote of "NO CONFIDENCE"

SU is having a board meeting as we speak. TC brought up a motion for Mason to be Chancellor and President. It failed. Dr. McClendon is the interim Chancellor.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Glad it failed....we need to get that SOB off the board.

I do believe his appointment is through 2018. This is where individuals need to flood the political office that nominated him for the board with inquiries on why he was nominated. Instead of blaming the board member, blame those who put them there.

Last edited:
Exactly. I'm confused. He has a history of failure but (let me go find the articles) they spoke so highly of him and how successful he is /was at JSU and they're hiring him to do those exact same things he did at JSU.

Now he's a failure? Im not understanding this.

We tried to to tell y'all he wouldn't do nor be able to do those wonderful things at SU.
So Don't try and vote the man out now.

The faculty didn't hire him. The BOS did. "THEY" had to have him. Some of them are gone now from that Board. But most SU folks were not in favor of Mason.

I'm confused too...didn't I just read and article on here or somewhere within the past few weeks that the Board was considering making him chancellor of SUBR?? I thought that the Board was going to combine his title/duties to include being President of the SU System and Chancellor of the SUBR campus. Is this no vote in response to that?? Because the article kind of made it sound like a "dun deal".

Frat,
He has his stick buddy TC doing his bidding on the Board. It failed. So it seems like some of the Board Members ain't fond of him taking over the campus either. Mason was the first one to suggest he take over the SUBR campus Chancellor job until his contract runs out.

Bottom line is Mason came to SU for the money opportunity and to say he ran a System. He is close to his family and now he will collect two retirement checks ala Casem and his wife from Ms and La. Dude is an opportunistic. LOL. But not well thought of but SU alums and such. It will be interesting to see what happens long term.

SU is having a board meeting as we speak. TC brought up a motion for Mason to be Chancellor and President. It failed. Dr. McClendon is the interim Chancellor.

Yep. Got the official memo in my email box as soon as it was done. Now we will see who they will go after long term.

Here's a list of Piyush's last appointments to the board:

http://www.gov.state.la.us/index.cfm?md=newsroom&tmp=detail&catID=2&articleID=3817

According to release above, there are two appointees from each of the 7 congressional districts and one at-large. If that is the case, the board is currently not setup right. There's only one appointment from District 7 the Lafayette/Lake Charles Area (Rev. Samuel C. Tolbert, Jr.) and two at-large (Dr. Leon R. Tarver II and Atty. Walter C. Dumas), which is a violation of the Louisiana Constitution. It seems like someone has alter the board for political reasons.

According to the Louisiana Constitution, the board is comprised of 15 gubernatorial appointees, including two gubernatorial appointees from each congressional district, and the remaining members shall be from the state at large. All appointments are subject to Senate confirmation.

The word "members" seems strange to me.

Last edited:
Frat,
He has his stick buddy TC doing his bidding on the Board. It failed. So it seems like some of the Board Members ain't fond of him taking over the campus either. Mason was the first one to suggest he take over the SUBR campus Chancellor job until his contract runs out.

Bottom line is Mason came to SU for the money opportunity and to say he ran a System. He is close to his family and now he will collect two retirement checks ala Casem and his wife from Ms and La. Dude is an opportunistic. LOL. But not well thought of but SU alums and such. It will be interesting to see what happens long term.

Mason problem (IMHO) is he's jealous of the power and recognition the Chancellor position yields for the Baton Rouge campus. He was NOT hired to be Chancellor though but rather the System President. If he wants to be a single campus president he needs to go back to Jackson State or some other university.

Mason problem (IMHO) is he's jealous of the power and recognition the Chancellor position yields for the Baton Rouge campus. He was NOT hired to be Chancellor though but rather the System President. If he wants to be a single campus president he needs to go back to Jackson State or some other university.

:tup:

The SUBR's Chancellor appears to be more visible than most associated with the Southern University System.

Who is they? And who told you that crock of isht about him being the best thing since AW?

Oh, there was plenty of sU folks talking up Mason after he left us for you all. They really believe he was the best thing to happen for you all. I guess they all left now, cause it shole is quiet.

Can't come back to us. We good!

Mason problem (IMHO) is he's jealous of the powerand recognition the Chancellor position yields for the Baton Rouge campus. He was NOT hired to be Chancellor though but rather the System President. If he wants to be a single campus president he needs to go back to Jackson State or some other university.

BINGO!

I'm not an SU alum, but I do have a great interest in this particular matter. I too agree with JROCK; it's my opinion also that this man (Mason) wanted the power of the Chancellor position. Going back to early February, Mason recommended that Chancellor Llorens contract, which expired yesterday, be renewed. BUT the stipulation was that he (Mason) would have more "power" when it came to the main SUBR campus. Dr. Llorens knew this to mean that his authority as Chancellor would be relinquished to Mason, so he said "No" to the "terms" of the proposed renegotiated contract. Now fast forward to late February, that very same month, the SU BOS now of a sudden chooses NOT to renew Dr. Llorens' contract? Less than 30 days? Really?! That hidden agenda of Mason's was exposed; he clearly wanted the power that came with facilitating the BR campus. He (Mason) more than likely thought that once Dr. Llorens was gone, the position of Chancellor for SU-Baton Rouge campus was his for the taking. I guess he forgot about the remaining 7 members on the BOS who voted to renew Dr. Llorens' contract, and didn't think they would work alongside with the SU Senate faculty.

Last edited:
But "they" just had to have him. And he was the best thing to happened to them since Mumford.

Exactly. I'm confused. He has a history of failure but (let me go find the articles) they spoke so highly of him and how successful he is /was at JSU and they're hiring him to do those exact same things he did at JSU.

Now he's a failure? Im not understanding this.

We tried to to tell y'all he wouldn't do nor be able to do those wonderful things at SU.
So Don't try and vote the man out now.

I'm not so sure that the entire Jaguar Nation wanted Ronald Mason to be a part of the SU System, or have anyting for that matter to do with SU. To say "they just had to have him" or that "they spoke so highly of him" is/was not the general consesus of the entire SU alumni, faculty, staff, student body. I've frequented that campus for 3, almost 4 years now, and I've got to a pretty impressive number of SU alumni. Standing in line to pay tuition, you get to know different parents and faculty (who are alumni) that love SU and talk about the changes that have occurred (both good and bad), and when it came to bad, most voiced their displeasure of Ronald Mason (and this Tony Clayton person).

If the SU BOS "just had to have him" or "spoke so highly of him", the vote to NOT renew Dr. Llorens contract would reflect this. But that wasn't the case. Perhaps the majority of the SU BOS back then had those things to say, but they do not speak for the entire supporters of Southern University. We all know that each of our alma maters have BOD/BOS councils that have made hires that the majority of the alumni, administration, staff, students did not approve of. This, in my opinion, is an example of that.

The faculty didn't hire him. The BOS did. "THEY" had to have him. Some of them are gone now from that Board. But most SU folks were not in favor of Mason.

And apparently, quite a few members of the BOS weren't in favor of Mason either. The vote to NOT renew Dr. Llorens contract was 8-7, a very, very close vote and a strong indication that all weren't fond of Mason.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure that the entire Jaguar Nation wanted Ronald Mason to be a part of the SU System, or have anyting for that matter to do with SU. To say "they just had to have him" or that "they spoke so highly of him" is/was not the general consesus of the entire SU alumni, faculty, staff, student body. I've frequented that campus for 3, almost 4 years now, and I've got to a pretty impressive number of SU alumni. Standing in line to pay tuition, you get to know different parents and faculty (who are alumni) that love SU and talk about the changes that have occurred (both good and bad), and when it came to bad, most voiced their displeasure of Ronald Mason (and this Tony Clayton person).

If the SU BOS "just had to have him" or "spoke so highly of him", the vote to NOT renew Dr. Llorens contract would reflect this. But that wasn't the case. Perhaps the majority of the SU BOS back then had those things to say, but they do not speak for the entire supporters of Southern University. We all know that each of our alma maters have BOD/BOS councils that have made hires that the majority of the alumni, administration, staff, students did not approve of. This, in my opinion, is an example of that.

And apparently, quite a few members of the BOS weren't in favor of Mason either. The vote to NOT renew Dr. Llorens contract was 8-7, a very, very close vote and a strong indication that all weren't fond of Mason.

:lol:...this Mason or this Tony Clayton...:lol:.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Oh, there was plenty of sU folks talking up Mason after he left us for you all. They really believe he was the best thing to happen for you all. I guess they all left now, cause it shole is quiet.

I doubt there were ANY on here that believed that he was the best thing happen for SU. Personally, I would have liked for Haynes to be System President.

Yep. One board member I could just punch him in the top of his head.

BINGO!

I'm not an SU alum, but I do have a great interest in this particular matter. I too agree with JROCK; it's my opinion also that this man (Mason) wanted the power of the Chancellor position. Going back to early February, Mason recommended that Chancellor Llorens contract, which expired yesterday, be renewed. BUT the stipulation was that he (Mason) would have more "power" when it came to the main SUBR campus. Dr. Llorens knew this to mean that his authority as Chancellor would be relinquished to Mason, so he said "No" to the "terms" of the proposed renegotiated contract. Now fast forward to late February, that very same month, the SU BOS now of a sudden chooses NOT to renew Dr. Llorens' contract? Less than 30 days? Really?! That hidden agenda of Mason's was exposed; he clearly wanted the power that came with facilitating the BR campus. He (Mason) more than likely thought that once Dr. Llorens was gone, the position of Chancellor for SU-Baton Rouge campus was his for the taking. I guess he forgot about the remaining 7 members on the BOS who voted to renew Dr. Llorens' contract, and didn't think they would work alongside with the SU Senate faculty.

Actually even some of the votes NOT to renew the chancellor's contract (under Mason's terms) were good votes because those board members knew the consequences of accepting that contract. There is a reason there was only 1 vote in favor of Mason becoming Chancellor/President.

Actually even some of the votes NOT to renew the chancellor's contract (under Mason's terms) were good votes because those board members knew the consequences of accepting that contract. There is a reason there was only 1 vote in favor of Mason becoming Chancellor/President.

It actually was a substitute motion by Tony Clayton that fail on a 7-7 vote with two Board members being absent. Since the minutes for the June 30, 2014 Meeting haven't been posted and I can't get that particular video to work, I'm currently trying to find out which 6 other board members voted along with Tony Clayton to make Mason the interim chancellor.

After than an hour in executive session, board member Tony Clayton made a substitute motion to make Southern University System President Ron Mason the interim chancellor, until a permanent chancellor was put in place.

That motion, however, failed in a 7-7 vote. Board members Calvin Braxton and Willie Hendricks were absent. If that were approved, Southern University would have, at least temporarily, operated under a similar model LSU adopted in October 2012.

http://www.nola.com/news/baton-rouge/index.ssf/2014/06/southern_university_names_flan.html

According to attached video, approximately at the 56:00 minute mark, here's how the vote went down on Tony Clayton's substitute motion to appoint Mason as interim chancellor at the SUBR campus seconded by Tarver. Before TC's substitute motion was made, Mr. Tolbert made a motion to appoint Dr. McClinton as interim chancellor at the SUBR campus seconded by Mr. Lawson. TC's substitute motion failed in a 7-7 vote and Rev. Tolbert's motion carried unanimously

http://onlinecourses.sulc.edu/Media...?catalog=99afbc98-8e69-4d3e-ac9e-5cf5d5da8fcd

Board members against the appointment of Dr. Mason as interim chancellor at the SUBR campus:
Lawson
Fondel
Dinvaut
Gant
Tolbert
Dumas
Frazer

Board members for the appointment of Dr. Mason as interim chancellor at the SUBR campus:
Mire
Smith
Small
Kelly
Bell
Clayton
Tarver

Absent:
Braxton
Hendricks

Last edited:
Back