Roland-Garros 2021 - The French Open

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ers-scores-stats-from-fridays-singles-bracket

Friday French Open Results

Men's Singles

No. 2 Daniil Medvedev def. No. 32 Reilly Opelka, 6-4, 6-2, 6-4

No. 5 Stefanos Tsitsipas def. No. 31 John Isner, 5-7, 6-3, 7-6 (3), 6-1

No. 6 Alexander Zverev def. Laslo Dere, 6-2, 7-5, 6-2

No. 12 Pablo Carreno Busta def. Steve Johnson, 6-4, 6-4, 6-2

Alejandro Davidovich Fokina def. No. 15 Casper Ruud, 7-6 (3), 2-6, 7-6 (6), 0-6, 7-5

No. 22 Cristian Garin def. Marcos Giron, 6-1, 5-7, 6-2, 6-2

Federico Delbonis def. No. 27 Fabio Fognini, 6-4, 6-1, 6-3

Kei Nishikori def. Henri Laaksonen 7-5 (retired)

Women's Singles

No. 31 Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova def. No. 3 Aryna Sabalenka, 6-4, 2-6, 6-0

No. 7 Serena Williams def. Danielle Collins, 6-4, 6-4

No. 15 Victoria Azarenka def. No. 23 Madison Keys, 6-2, 6-2

No. 20 Marketa Vondrousova def. Polona Hercog, 6-3, 6-3

No. 21 Elena Rybakina def. Elena Vesnina, 6-1, 6-4

No. 33 Paula Badosa def. Ana Bogdan, 2-6, 7-6 (4), 6-4

Tamara Zidansek def. Katerina Siniakova, 0-6, 7-6 (5), 6-2

Sorana Cirstea def. Daria Kasatkina, 6-3, 6-2

French Open 2021 Results: Winners, Scores, Stats from Saturday's Singles Bracket

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...s-scores-stats-from-saturdays-singles-bracket

Saturday French Open Results

Men's Singles
No. 1 Novak Djokovic def. Ricardas Berankis, 6-1, 6-4, 6-1

No. 3 Rafael Nadal def. Cameron Norrie, 6-3, 6-3, 6-3

No. 8 Roger Federer def. Dominik Koepfer, 7-6 (5), 6-7 (3), 7-6 (4), 7-5

No. 9 Matteo Berrettini def. Soonwoo Kwon, 7-6 (6), 6-3, 6-4

No. 10 Diego Schwartzman def. Philipp Kohlschreiber, 6-4, 6-2, 6-1

No. 18 Jannik Sinner def. Mikael Ymer, 6-1, 7-5, 6-3

Lorenzo Musetti def. Marco Cecchinato, 3-6, 6-4, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3

Jan-Lennard Struff def. Carlos Alcaraz, 6-4, 7-6 (3), 6-2

Federer was tested in every set by Koepfer.

Women's Singles

No. 4 Sofia Kenin def. No. 28 Jessica Pegula, 4-6, 6-1, 6-4

Barbora Krejcikova def. No. 5 Elina Svitolina, 6-3, 6-2

No. 8 Iga Swiatek def. No. 30 Anett Kontaveit, 7-6 (4), 6-0

No. 24 Coco Gauff def. No. 13 Jennifer Brady, 6-1 (retired)

No. 17 Maria Sakkari def. No. 14 Elise Mertens, 7-5, 6-7 (2), 6-2

Sloane Stephens def. No. 18 Karolina Muchova, 6-3, 7-5

No. 25 Ons Jabeur def. Magda Linette, 3-6, 6-0, 6-1

Marta Kostyuk def. Varvara Gracheva, 6-1, 6-2

Interesting article

French Open Mid-Tournament Report
:popcorn:

Women’s Draw
Iga Swiatek is in strong form. She has dismantled her opponents with ease and looks likely to make another final. I’m still holding strong with my prediction for her to take her second French Open title.

Serena Williams will make the final. Her draw has opened up since the departure of stars Naomi Osaka and Aryna Sabalenka. She is now the only Top 10 player in the second half of the draw.

Sloane Stephens is back in form. It is good to see her playing well and back in the second week of a Grand Slam. She has had difficult opponents to play such as Carla Suárez Navarro, Karolína Plíšková, and Karolína Muchová, and has handled those assignments well.

Men’s Draw
Rafael Nadal will win the French Open again. End of story.

Daniil Medvedev is looking good. He is moving well and striking the ball nicely. I’ve never understood why he doesn’t enjoy play on clay. Medvedev’s creative style should suit the surface. So it is good to see him playing well. Whether he can dismantle the likes of Stefanos Tsitsipas and Alexander Zverev is another story but his progress is promising.

Sunday

French Open 2021: Sunday Schedule and Predictions for Roland Garros Bracket

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ule-and-predictions-for-roland-garros-bracket

Serena Williams is one win away from advancing to her first French Open quarterfinal since 2016.

The three-time champion at Roland Garros will play in one of two seeded matchups on Court Philippe-Chatrier on Sunday.

The seventh-seeded Williams takes on No. 21 Elena Rybakina in the third match on Chatrier. The two players have never met head-to-head.

Victoria Azarenka, the No. 15 seed, opens the slate of four matches on Chatrier against No. 31 Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, who knocked out the third seed Aryna Sabalenka in the third round.

If Williams and Azarenka win, they will face off in what should be the most notable quarterfinal clash in the women's draw.

Stefanos Tsitsipas and Daniil Medvedev are in line for a quarterfinal showdown as well. The pair of top-five seeds both need to win Sunday against seeded foes, and they are both expected to advance.

The full schedule for Sunday's matches at Roland Garros can be found here on the tournament's official website.

https://www.rolandgarros.com/en-us/order-of-play?date=2021-06-06
:read:

I had to google that. 🤣

But anyway, Madison Keys is another one that I think under performs.
I only speak a little French, but I always brush up before I go to France, I speak enough (after a refresh) to get around, get food and lodging, but not have a real deep conversation.

French Open 2021 Results: Monday Winners, Scores, Stats and Singles Draw Update

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-winners-scores-stats-and-singles-draw-update

Men's Singles

No. 1 Novak Djokovic def. Lorenzo Musetti, 6-7 (7-9), 6-7 (2-7), 6-1, 6-0, 4-0 (retired)

No. 3 Rafael Nadal def. Jannik Sinner, 7-5, 6-3, 6-0

No. 10 Diego Schwartzman def. Jan-Lennard Struff, 7-6 (11-9), 6-4, 7-5

Only three men's singles matches took place on Monday due to the withdraw of Roger Federer. That allowed Matteo Berretini to take a spot in the final eight.

Women's Singles

No. 17 Maria Sakkari def. No. 4 Sofia Kenin, 6-1, 6-3

No. 8 Iga Swiatek def. Marta Kostyuk, 6-3, 6-4

No. 24 Coco Gauff def. No. 25 Ons Jabeur, 6-3, 6-1

Barbora Krejcikova def. Sloane Stephens, 6-2, 6-0

Gauff produced her best performance in Paris to date by losing just four games to Jabeur.

The American teenager won 22 of her 27 first-serve points, did not allow a break-point opportunity on her serve and took 13 of her 17 points at net.

WTA Insider outlined the achievements Gauff reached with her quarterfinal berth at Roland Garros:

Congratulations
:clap:

KREJCIKOVA CROWNED QUEEN OF PARIS

https://www.rolandgarros.com/en-us/article/rg2021-pavlyuchenkova-krejcikova-final-report

World No.33 is the first Czech woman to win singles at Roland-Garros since 198

Barbora Krejcikova capped a dream fortnight in Paris with a 6-1, 2-6, 6-4 victory over No.31 seed Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova to become the first Czech woman to win the Roland-Garros singles title since Hana Mandlikova in 1981.

The world No.33, who could sweep both singles and doubles titles in Paris should she triumph alongside her partner Katerina Siniakova in the doubles final on Sunday, needed one hour and 58 minutes to overcome her Russian opponent and lift her maiden singles major trophy.

A champion in Strasbourg on the eve of Roland-Garros, Krejcikova extended her current winning streak to 12 consecutive matches.

She was ranked 114 in singles when she made her first run to a Grand Slam fourth round in Paris eight months ago and is now the Roland-Garros champion -- a remarkable rise for the former doubles No.1.

This is the sixth straight year Paris has crowned a first-time Grand Slam women's singles champion. The past 15 majors have witnessed nine different maiden Slam winners.

Making just her fifth main-draw singles appearance at a Slam, the 25-year-old Krejcikova dropped serve in the opening game of the contest before racing to take the next six games and claim a one-set lead inside 30 minutes.

Congratulations Novak!!!

I think he will end up with more slam wins than Roger or Rafa.
:popcorn:

https://www.rolandgarros.com/en-us/article/mission-complete-djokovic-secures-rare-feat-rg2021

As any seasoned mountaineer to have set off from Everest Base Camp can attest, scaling the world’s highest peak is only part of the journey.

The enormous physical and emotional energy to carry on, having already ticked off that gruelling feat brings many unstuck.

In Novak Djokovic’s realm, it had brought all unstuck – himself included – until Sunday on Court Philippe-Chatrier, when the Serb saw what he had deemed his sport’s equivalent through to its completion with victory from two sets down against Greek challenger Stefanos Tstisipas.

The world No.1, only 48 hours earlier, likened his defeat of 13-time champion Rafael Nadal on Court Philippe-Chatrier to climbing Mount Everest.

Swede Robin Soderling in 2009 and Djokovic himself six years ago were the only two who had reached that summit before, only to have fallen short at the final destination, in a subsequent Roland-Garros decider.

The only man to have earned a second shot at it on the terre battue of Roland-Garros rounded out that expedition, 6-7(6), 2-6, 6-3, 6-2, 6-4 against the 22-year-old Tsitsipas.

Djokovic became the first man in the Open Era to win the four majors twice and to have come from two sets down twice en route to a Grand Slam title.

“Of course, I am thrilled and I'm very proud of this achievement. I think part of the history of the sport that I love with all my heart is always something that is very inspiring and very fulfilling for me,” Djokovic said.

The rest of the story, I was told that he was told prior to his match.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/14/tenn...ch-open-final-grandmother-spt-intl/index.html

'This is entirely dedicated to her': Stefanos Tsitsipas says his grandmother passed away five minutes before French Open final
:angel:

Stefanos Tsitsipas has paid tribute to his grandmother, who he says passed away five minutes before he took to the court for the French Open final against Novak Djokovic.

Tsitsipas, playing in his first grand slam final, won the first two sets of Sunday's match before Djokovic mounted a comeback to win 6-7 2-6 6-3 6-2 6-4.

"A wise woman whose faith in life, and willingness to give and provide can't be compared to any other human being that I have ever met," Tsitsipas wrote of his grandmother on Instagram.

"It's important to have more people like her in this world. Because people like her make you come alive. They make you dream.

Back