Roland-Garros 2021 - The French Open

Olde Hornet

Interesting day 1. Some upsets on the men’s side, but the story of the day was Naomi Osaka refusal to do press. She did the on court interview, but did not go to the press room. She is being threatened with expulsion from the tournament.

I have mixed emotions about not doing the interviews. But Lord knows Osaka has a point. Some of the questions those reporters ask makes no sense at all. Or they ask questions that have been asked many times before. But, Osaka has got to understand it comes with the territory.

Maybe she should go straight "Marshawn Lynch" on they asses. "I am just here so I don't get fined" .

Last edited:

Naomi Osaka announces withdrawal of French Open after decision to not speak with media​

After receiving backlash for deciding not to partake in post-match press conferences at this year's tournament, Osaka announced on Twitter Monday afternoon she is withdrawing from the event.

"This isn't a situation I ever imagined or intended when I posted a few days ago. I think now the best thing for the tournament, the other players and my well-being is that I withdraw so that everyone can get back to focusing on the tennis going on in Paris.

"I never wanted to be a distraction and I accept that my timing was not ideal and my message could have been clearer. More importantly I would never trivialize mental health or use the term lightly," the world's No. 2-ranked women's tennis player wrote.

Day 1 results:
:popcorn:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-dominic-thiems-loss-highlight-sunday-results

French Open 2021: Naomi Osaka's Win, Dominic Thiem's Loss Highlight Sunday Results

Notable Results

Men's Draw

Pablo Andujar def. No. 4 Dominic Thiem, 4-6, 5-7, 6-3, 6-4, 6-4

No. 5 Stefanos Tsitsipas def. Jeremy Chardy, 7-6 (6), 6-3, 6-1

No. 6 Alexander Zverev vs. Oscar Otte, 3-6, 3-6, 6-2, 6-2, 6-0

No. 11 Roberto Bautista Agut def. Mario Vilella Martinez, 6-4, 6-4, 6-2

No. 12 Pablo Carreno Busta def. Norbert Gombos, 6-3, 6-4, 6-3

Marcos Giron def. No. 16 Grigor Dimitrov, 2-6, 4-6, 7-5, 3-0 ret.

No. 23 Karen Khachanov def. Jiri Vesely, 6-1, 6-2, 6-3

Miomir Kecmanovic def. No. 25 Daniel Evans, 1-6, 6-3, 6-3, 6-4

No. 27 Fabio Fognini def. Gregoire Barrere, 6-4, 6-1, 6-4

Kei Nishikori vs. Alessandro Giannessi, 6-4, 6-7 (4), 6-3, 4-6, 6-4

Women's Draw

No. 2 Naomi Osaka def. Patricia Maria Tig, 6-4, 7-6 (4)

No. 3 Aryna Sabalenka def. Ana Konjuh, 6-4, 6-3

No. 12 Petra Kvitova def. Greet Minnen, 6-7 (3), 7-6 (5), 6-1

No. 15 Victoria Azarenka def. Svetlana Kuznetsova, 6-4, 2-6, 6-3

Anhelina Kalinina def. No. 26 Angelique Kerber, 6-2, 6-4

No. 21 Elena Rybakina def. Elsa Jacquemot, 6-4, 6-1

No. 23 Madison Keys def. Oceane Dodin, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1

No. 29 Polina Kudermetova def. Amanda Anisimova, 7-6 (5), 6-1

No. 33 Paula Badosa def. Lauren Davis, 6-2, 7-6 (3)

Only answer questions in Japanese?? 🤣 I never thought of that one, 🤣 That would have been so cool. 🤣

I think a problem is athletes don’t want to be cast as villains/heels and they all want to be liked.

I think more athletes should say eff it and be more verbally confrontational with BS questions. Don’t hide behind burner accounts and code ... just be straight up because a certain segment ain’t gonna like you anyway

BTW: only answering questions in Japanese during AAPI month would’ve been a master twist to that BS.

Does Naomi have a diagnosis with a mental health issue like Brandon Marshall and others?

Serena had a first tough set, but was better in the second. Her play up to Roland Garros has been awful, I dont expect her to go deep.

Naomi has not made her health records public. I take her at her word, I agree with Billie Jean King, doing press is part of the job, I feel for her and support her mental health. She has always been shy talking, but her actions (tennis and political) are forceful. I hope she can find a happy medium that will allow her to continue in the sport I love. I am a huge fan of hers and I wish the best for her. Serena was correct, we are all different!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ers-scores-stats-from-mondays-singles-bracket

Monday's French Open Results

Men's Singles

No. 2 Daniil Medvedev def. Alexander Bublik, 6-3, 6-3, 7-5

No. 8 Roger Federer def. Denis Istomin, 6-2, 6-4, 6-3

Lorenzo Musetti def. No. 13 David Goffin, 6-0, 7-5, 7-6 (7-3)

No. 15 Casper Ruud def. Benoit Paire, 5-7, 6-2, 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)

No. 18 Jannik Sinner def. Pierre-Hugues Herbert, 6-1, 4-6, 6-7 (4-7), 7-5, 6-4

Lloyd Harris def. No. 26 Lorenzo Sonego, 7-5, 6-4, 6-4

No. 28 Nikoloz Basilashvili def. Dusan Lajovic, 6-4, 6-3, 0-6, 6-2

No. 30 Taylor Fritz def. Joao Sousa, 6-4, 6-2, 6-4

No. 31 John Isner def. Sam Querrey, 7-6 (7-2), 6-3, 6-4

No. 32 Reilly Opelka def. Andrej Martin, 6-3, 6-2, 6-4

Women's Singles

No. 4 Sofia Kenin def. Jelena Ostapenko, 6-4, 4-6, 6-3

Tamara Zidansek def. No. 6 Bianca Andreescu, 6-7 (1-7), 7-6 (7-2), 9-7

No. 7 Serena Williams def. Irina Camelia Begu, 7-6 (8-6), 6-2

No. 8 Iga Swiatek def. Kaja Juvan, 6-0, 7-5

No. 10 Belinda Bencic def. Nadia Podoroska, 6-0, 6-3

Marta Kostyuk def. No. 12 Garbine Muguruza, 6-1, 6-4

No. 14 Elise Mertens def. Storm Sanders, 6-4, 6-1

Polona Hercog def. No. 16 Kiki Bertens, 6-1, 3-6, 6-4

Sorana Cirstea def. No. 19 Johanna Konta, 7-6 (7-5), 6-2

No. 20 Marketa Vondrousova def. Kaia Kanepi, 4-6, 6-3, 6-0

No. 28 Jessica Pegula def. Zhu Lin, 6-4, 4-6, 6-4

The women's singles draw looks much more wide open than it was 24 hours ago.

I think Venus and Serena need to pull her to side on how to deal with the stupid press as an African-American Woman. They do ask some of the dumbist question and that is why I rarley watch talk sports. The athlete gives and answer and then they twist the answer you give to fit their narrative.

Serena had a first tough set, but was better in the second. Her play up to Roland Garros has been awful, I dont expect her to go deep

I didn't expect her to get past the first round. Clay is not her best surface anyway. Venus, well.......

As a person that deals with anxiety and a fear of public speaking, I can't agree with Naomi on this situation. Talking to the media is part of the contract she signed so she should honor it. That's like me telling my Public Speaking teacher to automatically give me an A because I hate talking in front of a room filled with students. It doesn't work that way. She has no problem dealing with the press when she's winning, but now she wants to opt out when she knows her chance of winning are slim because of her struggle with playing on clay. She has said that the media usually treats her fairly when it comes to the questioned asked so what is wrong with this particular situation? Will she continue to do this at future events?

We dont disagree - its part of her life in tennis. She has responsibility to protect her mental health, she also has the right to push for changes to help her in the profession. I hope there is something that can be done, but I support her taking mental health seriously.

As a person that deals with anxiety and a fear of public speaking, I can't agree with Naomi on this situation. Talking to the media is part of the contract she signed so she should honor it. That's like me telling my Public Speaking teacher to automatically give me an A because I hate talking in front of a room filled with students. It doesn't work that way. She has no problem dealing with the press when she's winning, but now she wants to opt out when she knows her chance of winning are slim because of her struggle with playing on clay. She has said that the media usually treats her fairly when it comes to the questioned asked so what is wrong with this particular situation? Will she continue to do this at future events?

Naomi said clearly that she is struggling with depression and the added anxiety caused by public speaking makes her condition exponentially worse. That's not the same as simply having a fear of public speaking.

Osaka wrote in her original IG post of her observation of the player-media relationship that didn't seem to benefit the athlete. Media engagement is an important part of the business of sport. After all, the tour is a business entity and athletes function within the confines of it. So, there is going to be interest in what these people say because of that reality. But, I personally do not believe athletes should have the obligation to speak with the press if they don't want to.

At the end of the day, this is about labor and who gets to frame the rules. Osaka, despite her popularity and success, will not win against the tour's major tournaments despite them needlessly strongarming her. Wimbledon once told Andre Agassi to wear white, per tradition, or don't bother showing up.

Back