Poor SWAC Officiating

DaGSUMan said:
As an football official I can say that is was not the officials fault that the fight started. One thing people have to see is that there are men playing this game and not kids. Once the game is over the officials are not in control of the game any longer. The control is in the hands of the Coaches and the Schools Administrators. If they can't control there students then that's where the problem is.
Do officials ever take responsibity for anything? Like not keeping the game under control by not throwing a flag when a player takes a cheap shot.

*getting popcorn*

I didn't see the melee' so I can't comment. What I DO not see is the SWAC office stepping up in a timely manner. <b>That</b> is where my concern is. Again, if PV or PV players did anything wrong, punish us/them. Same for Gram. Just don't sit idly and let this thing continue.

Let me stop. The Big 12 called a news conference yesterday morning to met out reprimands to some asst coaches for something that occurred last Saturday day. :shame:

Poor SWAC. :shame:

Jafus (Thinker) said:
Shaking My Head at TGee!!

It takes at least two people to fight and I do not condone unsportmanlike play by anybody.

Talking about class that Eddie Robinson brought to the program and unfortunately, I have scene Coach Robinson and Coach Williams put up a great deal of points on the board against the Panther. But, never in my opinion has it been running up the score or bush league it has always been with back-ups seeking an opportunity to make their mark and with-in the basic rules of the game.

While, I believe wholeheartedly that it is the opposing team job to stop a team from scoring. Anybody that has followed football for any amount of time in their life, especially with in the confines of district or conference play would tell you that throwing a deep pass play over 30 yards with the starting quarterback in the game with less than 1:15 in the game and a 22 point lead is ...

Why are you shaking your head at me. The cheap shots started in the third quarter from my view point. Spears got pissed about the cheap shots, the refs not making the calls, and the appearence that PV coaches supported the classless play, therefore he decides to keep scoring. Is that right, probably not but the refs dropped the ball.

TGee said:
Why are you shaking your head at me. The cheap shots started in the third quarter from my view point. Spears got pissed about the cheap shots, the refs not making the calls, and the appearence that PV coaches supported the classless play, therefore he decides to keep scoring. Is that right, probably not but the refs dropped the ball.

What cheap shots in the 3rd qrtr TGee? I didn't see any "bad" play before the start of the 4th quarter.

*taking notes*

bluedog said:
Do officials ever take responsibity for anything? Like not keeping the game under control by not throwing a flag when a player takes a cheap shot.

Yes, I viewed the game and thought the game was in total control. As for a flag, we just don't throw flags for a little push. Then they can't play a game that is intended to be physical, but we do throw flags for things that are not in the flow of the game.

We never want a flag to change the outcome of a game; it should always be decided by the play on the field.

DaGSUMan said:
As an football official I can say that is was not the officials fault that the fight started. One thing people have to see is that there are men playing this game and not kids. Once the game is over the officials are not in control of the game any longer. The control is in the hands of the Coaches and the Schools Administrators. If they can't control there students then that's where the problem is.

Spoken like a true official.

Have ya'll even thought about with the confusion in the SWAC West and possibility of a tie at the end of the season. Points score/margin might be a tie-breaker.

DaGSUMan said:
We never want a flag to change the outcome of a game; it should always be decided by the play on the field.

I hate that statement right there.....basketball and football both.

It's not the flag that changes the outcome, it's the damn foul or penalty.

You mean to tell me you'd prefer a team to hold on to a win because you kept a flag in your pocket on an obvious penalty just so people wouldn't say "let the kids play"?

P.S. I'm not discussing this game in particular. Just a general pet peeve I have when I hear similar comments.

MACHIAVELLI, I totally agree with you. It doesn't take 2 to start a fight. In addition, I hate that, "well they were winning, so they should not have been trying to score". This ain't pee wee league football. If you coach feels his team had enough, walk off the field and forfiet (Or begg for a running clock), but the other team is supposed to try and score.

You want to talk about poor officiating, how bout SU's qb fumbled on there last drive that we recovered and the refs called an imcomplete pass which kept there drive going. That is poor.

PNeck019 said:
I hate that statement right there.....basketball and football both.

It's not the flag that changes the outcome, it's the damn foul or penalty.

You mean to tell me you'd prefer a team to hold on to a win because you kept a flag in your pocket on an obvious penalty just so people wouldn't say "let the kids play"?

P.S. I'm not discussing this game in particular. Just a general pet peeve I have when I hear similar comments.

I believe that's exactly what he means. The reason I say this. I saw it last weekend. Two times I sat with others and watched the refs see a player get hit before a pass was even close to the player and the refs didn't even put his hand in his pocket for a flag. This same ref never pulled a flag out of his pocket the whole game and he was in position looking at the same thing as many on both sides saw the same things. I saw it on both sides of the ball. Then I saw a side judge overrule the Referee on a penalty that wasn't credible. The flag came out after the touchdown was scored on a 50 some odd yard touchdown.

There has to be something to this. I've seen this go on even at SU games that I have attended on both sides of the ball. I'm not saying they cheat for the home team. I'm saying they aren't making valid calls and are imposing their will on the outcome of games. This ain't right! :smh:

The defense job is too stop the other team from scoring point blank.if you cannot do that go and recruit soomebody who can.i believe in rollign up the points on a conference foe or 1aa or 1a if we have the chance to.that is why folks loved rob in his heyday.he did not give a dayum who got pissed off.i say the same thing.stop somebody dammit. if the shoe was on the other foot pv would have rolled the scoreboard on us.tha tis why i dont have any pity on pv.it was a 2 td game late in the 4qtr.if i am spears i am making sure pv does nto get any hope for next year.trust me whoever looses to pv out of the big 3 or 4 or whoever will never live it down .i don't watn it to be gram loosing or even look like their are going to loose to pv.i say BUST THE CLOCK ON THEY AZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS NOT OUR FAULT WE RECRUIT AND OTHERS CHOOSE NOT TO BUT COMPLAIN WHEN WE SCORE POINTS WITH BACKUPS IN THE GAME!!!!!DOUG WAS NICE TO Y'ALL AZZ LAST YEAR.THAT IS WHAT I LOVE ABOUT SPEARS. HE AIN'T NICE TO THESE FOLKS.Y'ALL BETTER BEAT US NOW BEFORE THIS TEAM UNDERSTAND ITS MISSION AND START KICKING AZZ AND TAKING SCHOOL LOGOS.Y'ALL GOT ONLY THIS YEAR MAYBE IF SOME OUTSIDE STUFF CAN HAPPEN FOR US.

DaGSUMan said:
Yes, I viewed the game and thought the game was in total control. As for a flag, we just don't throw flags for a little push. Then they can't play a game that is intended to be physical, but we do throw flags for things that are not in the flow of the game.

I officiated High School and College Football for 25 years. Your comments make me GLAD that I am not officiating anymore. Your thinking (if you are sincere) is the very type that I would not have on my Crew! You are calling a game more by subjective/selective offciating than by clearly defined RULES. We call those people 'cowboy/coygirls' who are looking for or waiting for certain moments to call certain things. This is one of the MAIN reasons that you have 'free-for-alls' before, during or after a football game!!

............we just don't throw flags for a little push. If you or anyone is any kind of decent FOOTBALL Official that is worth his dayum whistle, you throw your penalty flag if one seems to be gaining an advantage in doing that "little push" or any other bullsnit that gives one team an advantage over the other!!! If you are 'GUTLESS' and have 'no balls' to Officiate the game in a proper manner, you should never be allowed on a football field where there are human beings involved!! GOOD Officials are trained to get it RIGHT and DO IT RIGHT no matter how long it takes!!! You can have physical play without it being flagrant, unnessarilly rough or bush league.

...............We never want a flag to change the outcome of a game; it should always be decided by the play on the field

This is true however the key here is that NO ONE TEAM SHALL BE ALLOWED TO GAIN AN EDGE OVER THE OTHER through on-field antics, flagrantly rough, unnessarilly rough or bush league type play. If you never grop your flag and always look the other way.......... "L", you're changing the outcome or influencing the outcome.........JUST DOING IT IN A DIFFERENT WAY!!

...............I viewed the game and thought the game was in total control.

You have a right to speak with your heart instead of your head. I only saw a couple of quarters of the game (and I have no vested interest in the outcome) especially if the outcome favors "your" team you can say what you feel!! BUT.....to say that you thought "the was in total control" was a laugher!! That game did not start to deteriorate on the last play in question. There were some obvious 'No-Calls' that went both ways. There were some questionable calls and there was no 'Preventive Officiating' (warnings to the players on some of those plays away from the floe of the play) that I could see during this game. I saw some gestures that could be construed as taunting(mouthing/standing over players who are obviously down longer than necessary) and other actions during this game that should have been penalized!

GMAN said:
Have ya'll even thought about with the confusion in the SWAC West and possibility of a tie at the end of the season. Points score/margin might be a tie-breaker.

Why would PV-Gram have any effect on UAPB or Southern's tie?

JEd said:
You want to talk about poor officiating, how bout SU's qb fumbled on there last drive that we recovered and the refs called an imcomplete pass which kept there drive going. That is poor.

Ricks arm was OBVIOUSLY coming forward. Now, if you wanna talk about poor officiating in that game, I could name several that Southern was a recipient of and gave Bama State more advantages.

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by JEd

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

That's not poor officiating that's a clear judgment call. Poor officiating is having a team call a time out when there is none left but instead of penalizing them for it you say it was an officials time out.

Or marking the ball 1 yd further then it should be for one team. Not throwing a flag when you see clear cheap shots or extra curricular activity going on that may lead to a fight.

why do you GSU folks praise Spears? you all need to watch the tapes a little more...I think GSU needs to worry about who they are hiring to guide these kids on these staffs....

it's funny...SU was throwing and passing all game long late and no incidents occured...GSU does the same thing and problems happen...obviously, someone was provoking someone..

the tapes don't lie...

but it is Wednesday and we are still waiting...you got players practicing on both sides in limbo but we all know PV will get the harsher treatment

the band fan said:
why do you GSU folks praise Spears? you all need to watch the tapes a little more...I think GSU needs to worry about who they are hiring to guide these kids on these staffs....

it's funny...SU was throwing and passing all game long late and no incidents occured...GSU does the same thing and problems happen...obviously, someone was provoking someone..

the tapes don't lie...

but it is Wednesday and we are still waiting...you got players practicing on both sides in limbo but we all know PV will get the harsher treatment

Let see who would have a reason to start something...The team that is winning or the team that is losing. Stop confusing initiation with reaction.

that sounds like a great reason to blame PV... if you knew that was the case...why don't you pull the team off the field and not even worry about handshakes if we were supposedly going to start a fight?

right?

the band fan said:
that sounds like a great reason to blame PV... if you knew that was the case...why don't you pull the team off the field and not even worry about handshakes if we were supposedly going to start a fight?

right?

There was time still on the clock.

Back