Play-in Game may be a good thing

Lewis

Peabody Warhorses
I think there are some positives playing in the play-in game. It gives them a real chance to win a game and it is the only NCAA game on TV Tues. (Along with some NIT games) Nation TV in a competative game (and winning) gives the SWAC a lot of exposure. Playing Maryland on Friday could get real ugly but they will not show a lot of it if Maryland blows them out cause there will be other games to switch to. So Tuesday may be our time to shine, go Alcorn.

your right, we get TV time and we do not have to worry about CBS cutting the game in the middle for a "live" look-in at another game.

Only drawback is that Maryland will get to watch the game and we lose the unknown factor as a result.

The year A&T almost beat Arkansas as a #16 was due to the unknown factor.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I was watching that Bob Knight movie and they announced the game numerous times for Tuesday at 6 p.m.

Originally posted by The Panther Fan
I was watching that Bob Knight movie

I saw that movie too, I know he was rude to reporters but he just lambasted his players.

a waste of time if you tell me. It only talked about a 2-year span and they made him out to be a monster of the court and a saint with his family. They never said why his wife wasn't there.

Lewis, to me this game is a way to take something back.

It is called Institutional Racism.

Why would anyone play for a #16 seed?

This is the dumbest thing that the committee could come up with, but I understand instituitonal Racism.

The women selection is guilty of the same thing. Stacking all the male coaches in the same bracket.

Originally posted by MightyDog
Lewis, to me this game is a way to take something back.

It is called Institutional Racism.

Why would anyone play for a #16 seed?

This is the dumbest thing that the committee could come up with, but I understand instituitonal Racism.

The women selection is guilty of the same thing. Stacking all the male coaches in the same bracket.

Good point! It's ridiculous to punish the winner of a conference by requiring them to "requalify" for the tournament. Automatic bids are just that...automatic. You win your tourney and you go to the dance and play a higher seed. If a school doesn't qualify for one of the at-large bids, then tough isht!

This play-in game is putting a negative spin on an event that should be viewed as a positive. It is demeaning to have to "prove yourself worthy" of being seeded last in your region.
Instead of feeling good about winning our conference, the Alcorn players are being told by the NCAA that, "we're letting you in, but you're really not wanted".

I sincerely hope the Braves kick Siena's azz and then upsets Maryland by an even larger score. But this stacks the deck against them moreso because of the fatigue factor and Maryland's already superior depth.

I almost wish the SWAC could tell these mofos to kiss our azz cuz we ain't coming!

Dang, MD, I cannot believe that i am agreeing with you. My other question is how did a team with a twelve and eighteen record for the regular season, and nine and nine conference record get selected to be a play in team?

20 Year Ago and No Progress

I agree, I agree.....

When Alcorn first broke the barrier and received an invite to the NCAA, it was a play-in game. When the field was increased to 64, it was an automatic bid for the SWAC Tournament Champion and last year, the field increased to 65 with another Lily White Conference added. So the NCAA came up with the RPI rating which is a joke and told HBCUs that they must play a strong schedule against Top 25 Teams to get a strong strenght of schedule and get more than a 16 seed. Now, we are back to where we started 20 years ago.

"It Matters Not How Straight The Gate, How Charge With Punishment The Scroll, We Are The Masters Of Our Faith, We Are The Captain Of Our Souls."

Go Alcorn!

Don't get bitter. Get better.

Alcorn's strength of schedule is 315+. If your strength of schedule was 250 or so, you wouldn't be in the PiG (play-in game).

I totally agree with MD and MB!!!

This kind of ish really makes me :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: !!!

According to the Clarion-Ledger, Alcorn has a higher RPI than both Siena and Winthrop - those should be the two teams in the play-in. Then, we had no rest and a messed up travel schedule to get to Dayton today. So if the Braves happen to lose tonight, it won't be because Siena is necessarily "better". :mad:

http://www.clarionledger.com/news/0203/12/srick.html

Orginally posted by MikeBigg

Good point! It's ridiculous to punish the winner of a conference by requiring them to "requalify" for the tournament. Automatic bids are just that...automatic. You win your tourney and you go to the dance and play a higher seed. If a school doesn't qualify for one of the at-large bids, then tough isht!

I totally agree. If the premise of the NCAA is that the b-ball tourney is a national tourney, then all of the schools who win their conference tourney should be bracketed PERIOD and not be subjected to a play-in game. If the conference tourney champ is the automatic bid recipent, then they get the bracket slot. Make the regular season mean something.

Teams who don't win their championship are "at-large". As such, the weakest of these should "Play-in". It shouldn't matter what conference they come from, they did not automatically qualify. The committee can select whoever it wants for the at-large berths, but the last spot should be a play-in one for the teams that did not get their conferences automatic bid.

Personally, I'm tired of this 64 or 65 team selection mess. The solution to the whole thing is to do away with the conference tournaments and let ALL of the teams play. It can be accomplished in 4 weeks, one more than is currently played. If the conference tourneys are eliminated and the NCAA tourney is started that week there will be no affect on the current college b-ball schedule. It won't hurt anything this way; the NIT is better as a pre-season tourney now anyway.

Regards.

A lot of the talking heads have said that the RPI ratings are overrated. Maybe they are. But I will bet that the committee pays attention to them when they hand out at large bids of which Butler should have had. So in my opinion Alcorn got screwed.

When Alcorn started playing in the NIT and NCAA tournaments, they were beating people. I can't remember who that beat in the NCAA's but remember them beating Miss. State in Starkville in the NIT. MSU finished third in the SEC that year. I sure hope that they actually do win and win big. Trust me. The NCAA and the big schools, actually one in the same, do remember what Alcorn has done in the NCAA and NIT. The big schools do not want Alcorn repeating their past feats. If they do then some coaches will get fired. Anyway, I hope that Alcorn wins big.

When it comes to coaching, Whitney is one of the best. I think that a past Mississippi State coach gave him credit for helping him. That coach took his team to the final four in ’96. Very few coaches want to match wits with him because he will beat most coaches when all things, namely talent, are equal.

Someone correct me if I am wrong. The NCAA had a play in game over 10 years ago but did away with it for a while.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I just saw Coach Whittney on National TV talking about he was happy to be in this position. I don't know the man personally, but I cannot support his logic on this matter. When it comes to black and white institutions in America nothing is equal. However, the utilities and buildings cost the same. How quick we forget things are not equal. We cannot forget that the members of NCAA consist of Colleges and Universities. We cannot forget the big issue and that Education is still the #1 problem for blacks in America. Education is a part of every politician platform, but very few do anything about ensuring equality in Educational institutions. I could go on and on about this, but I cannot accept this institutional racism which has occured in this selection process.

I would rather see us not participate in this playoff game because who need this kind of exposure.

I can tell you that if AAMU had won and they pulled this crap we would be all over them. I received several calls last night from AAMU Alumni asking me what could we do. I said you may want to see an e-mail to the NCAA Office.

After hearing what Coach Whitney Said on National TV. I am still in shock.

Yo MD

Hey was not saying he was happy with the play-in game. What interview are you talking about? See Post below. Whitney stated that he has won two games before playing in Dayton, that's all.

It could be worse: They could have sent poor Alcorn State to Siberia

By Rick Cleveland
Clarion-Ledger Staff Writer

DAYTON , Ohio ? Alcorn State's Braves earned their bid to the NCAA Tournament.

Instead of being rewarded with a bid, they received a sentence.

Make no mistake: Mississippi State and Ole Miss received no favors from the NCAA's selection committee. But Alcorn got reamed. Actually, Dave Whitney used another verb, but we won't go there.

These NCAA selection committees have a long, consistent history of dealing Mississippi teams a short hand. They outdid themselves this time.

AND ANOTHER THING!!!!!!!!!!!!................

...........The NCAA says that its all concerned about student athletes being "students" and not over-burdening them with athletic demands, etc., etc. etc., then they subject those who "play in" to the kind of stuff described in the article below. This was reported in today's edition of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Regards.

Play-in game tonight
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They're drowsy in Dayton as NCAA begins

By JOE KAY
AP Sports Writer
DAYTON, Ohio
? C'mon in, Alcorn State and Siena. Lace 'em up and learn firsthand what it's like to play in the only NCAA tournament game that inspires more dread than dreams.

It's the play-in, and it's like nothing else ? the all-night travel, the missed meals, the quiet arena that feels more like a sideshow than center stage.

?It's been real, real strange,? sleepy Alcorn State guard Jeff Cammon said Monday after practice.

For the second straight year, the NCAA has its two lowest seeds playing in Dayton for the 64th spot in the tournament. Tuesday's winner will catch another flight to Washington to play No. 1 Maryland on Friday.

The play-in format returned last season when the number of automatic bids expanded to 31. Northwestern State beat Winthrop, and both teams grumbled about the travel hardships.

Alcorn State (21-9) and Siena (16-18) found out fast that just getting there is no fun.

The Braves were surprised to learn Sunday night that they, not Winthrop, were headed to Dayton to play the only team in the tournament with a losing record.

They stayed up all night packing and planning, then got on a bus at 3 a.m. in Mississippi for a two-hour ride to Baton Rouge, where they caught a plane to Atlanta, where they had a brief delay changing flights to Cincinnati, where they caught another bus for an hour-long ride up Interstate 75 to Dayton.

Breakfast? Lunch? Sleep?

?I haven't gotten any sleep,? Cammon said.

Neither had the Braves' 72-year-old coach. Davey L. Whitney didn't get to nod off until the team reached its hotel in Dayton, had some roast beef and rice for lunch, then relaxed for a little while before heading to the virtually empty arena for a 6 p.m. EST practice.

?I never take a nap,? Whitney said. ?At 20 minutes after 5, I was out. That's why we're late.?

They got to the arena five minutes late for their one-hour workout, the lack of sleep showing in their slow gait. Whitney's team has played seven games in 14 days and then had to travel overnight ? not exactly conducive to a good showing in Tuesday's play-in.

?I've only started thinking about it in the last 24 hours,? Whitney said. ?Somebody's going to have to look at it because I understand they had the same situation last year. It's not conducive for teams to give their top performances.?

Siena had it a little easier ? the Saints' flight didn't leave New York until 9 a.m. They weren't in position to complain about anything, anyway.

Siena won four games in four days on its home floor to get the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference's automatic bid. The Saints are the 16th team to make the NCAA tournament with a losing record.

Florida A&M reached the tournament with a 12-18 record in 1999, the last to do so. Only one of those 16 teams actually won a game ? Bradley won two in 1955.

The Saints knew they'd be relegated to the play-in. They had the lowest RPI ranking in the field at 218, while Winthrop was 217 and Alcorn State 182.

?The success is in being here,? coach Rob Lanier said. ?Everything else is gravy.?

Alcorn State has a deeper bench and a more uptempo style that could give it the advantage ? providing the players can stay awake.

Last year's play-in drew a crowd of 6,813 to University of Dayton Arena, roughly half of capacity. More than 7,500 tickets ? priced at $5 and $10 ? have been sold for Tuesday's game.

The game was bumped to TNN last year, when out-of-work coach Rick Pitino did the commentary. It's been moved to ESPN this year.

Whitney, in his 26th season at Alcorn State, has already won a couple of NCAA play-in games in Dayton, beating Xavier in 1983 and Houston Baptist a year later.

?I won both of those games on this floor,? he said. ?I'm hoping that this floor will be just as good to us.?

The winner gets to head East for another game in three days. The loser gets to feel like any other NCAA tournament team that shows up and then leaves after one game.

That may be the play-in's closest resemblance to the real thing.

?It feels like the NCAA tournament,? Lanier said. ?If we lose, we go home.?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is more than sad; this is pitiful. The NCAA should be ASHAMED.

Regards.

I read that article in clarion-ledger. Sad
:(

btw, I wonder what's the committee's "explanation" for Winthrop not being in this game vs Siena, since Winthrop and Siena have the lowest rpi rankings?????

:smh:

:tdown: :tdown:

My $0.02.......

I'd had this idea for several years now. But I know the NCAA Tournament is not about Basketball anymore. It's about CBS and putting on the best games--games people want to see. But here's my suggestion.

Currently there are 31 Automatic bids for Conference Champions, and 34 At-Large Bids. I propose that the NCAA take the 31 Automatic Bids and rank them against each other, producing a list from 1-31. And then seed them 1-31. Then Rank everybody else in the country based on RPI, or other factors. Then Seed the top 34 teams. They would be seeded 32-65 in the Tournament. That would create unseen parity in the Tournament. It would setup Blockbuster matchups in all Rounds. And it wouldn't 'give' top seeds a 'free ride' to the Final Four.

But I know it'll never happen.

There's an 'entrenched' beauracracy in NCAA Basketball. Always has been, always will be. I bet a SWAC Team would go 30-3 and still get a 16 or 15 seed.......

:splat:

Taylor, they already know about what you suggested. The committee had already made up their minds.

Just as you came up with this, we don't have to accept something that someone else came up with. We have to raise "L" because it is the only thing the committee understand.

Originally posted by JSUII
Dang, MD, I cannot believe that i am agreeing with you. <font colore=red>My other question is how did a team with a twelve and eighteen record for the regular season, and nine and nine conference record get selected to be a play in team?
<font color=black>

Siena got on a roll and won their conference tournament.

The irony is like MD alluded to, both Alcorn and Siena got "automatic bids," but they are playing because they didn't want to reduce the number of at-large bids by 1. Like MD said, that's tuff ish.

One more at-large bid didn't solve the all their dayum problems, look about teams that were on the bubble and complaining about not getting selection.

I like that spin, it is institutional racism..... Remember when someone got lynched, they would say it was just some good ole boys having fun and it kinda got out of hand.

I hope everyone understand institutional racism. As long as nobody say anything, then the institution think they are doing what is right. But someone has to show them there is another side to the issue. This is the way it has always been and the leaders think that someone want to keep it this way.

Therefore, whoever came up with this stupid idea of a play in game need to be told we don't like it and make sure it never happens again.

Even Blacks buy into institutional racism without knowing it.

This is not just about Alcorn but the entire SWAC.

Back