Parents who are HBCU grads, but recommend against them to children?

I can respect any parent's decision to send their kids where they choose to, especially when scholarships are involved.

However, I will be STRONGLY ENCOURAGING my son to go to an HBCU-- preferably Jackson State. But the final decision will be his to make when the time comes.

I can respect any parent's decision to send their kids where they choose to, especially when scholarships are involved.

However, I will be STRONGLY ENCOURAGING my son to go to an HBCU-- preferably Jackson State. But the final decision will be his to make when the time comes.

Exactly.

That's just what folks aint seeing. Some parents I have talked to have exposed and talked up HBCUs to their kids, but the HBCUs that they were looking at didn't offer them the full financial package that some other schools did. I just talked to a kid who Missouri is offering him 80k in scholarship money and he could not get any money out of some of the HBCUs he applied to or very little money. So he has a choice. He can either take out a bunch of loans to go to the HBCU or take the Missouri scholarship and not put himself or his Mom in debt. That is a tough choice.

When I went to SU, I got all kinds of money. They don't hand it out like that anymore. So it is hard for some of these kids to get a lot of money out of some of the schools. We talk about we want the best for our kids. Would you want to saddle yourself or your kid with a lot of debt just to say they went to a HBCU if they can't get money or you don't have that kind of money to send multiple kids to school? Most of us on here probably will not have kids that qualify for different financial packages as we may have done. Heck, I know I didn't even when I went to school because it was deemed my old man made too much money. So thank goodness I had a NROTC schollie, Band Schollie and Physics one as well. Now you can't take all 3 of those at SU. You have to take the one that gives you the most money and the others go back in the pot.

These schools are expensive now. Both HBCU and PWCs. So unless you are poor and your kid is super smart. Most will pay some serious money to attend. I don't have any issues with folks sending their kids to any school. Now if they are bad mouthing HBCUs then I have an issue. I think most on here are saying they aint going to bad mouth a HBCU to their kids. Just will let them have all the options of colleges to attend instead of just steering them to the options YOU want. That can backfire. You need to be looking out for your kid first. Not just HBCUs or PWCs. The kid's academic development and happiness at where they attend college is the most important.

oh yeah, If my son goes to Southern, I won't pay one red cent.

:shame:

You sound like my frat bruh's Dad who is an Alcorn grad. My frat went to Morehouse over Alcorn and his old man was like he aint going to pay isht for him to go to the House and pass up a free ride to Alcorn.

Last edited:
Exactly.

That's just what folks aint seeing. Some parents I have talked to have exposed and talked up HBCUs to their kids, but the HBCUs that they were looking at didn't offer them the full financial package that some other schools did. I just talked to a kid who Missouri is offering him 80k in scholarship money and he could not get any money out of some of the HBCUs he applied to or very little money. So he has a choice. He can either take out a bunch of loans to go to the HBCU or take the Missouri scholarship and not put himself or his Mom in debt. That is a tough choice.

Not a tough choice if I was his parent. You going to Mizzou. I'm down for HBCUs, but going into debt is not a promising prospect to face.

Not a tough choice if I was his parent. You going to Mizzou. I'm down for HBCUs, but going into debt is not a promising prospect to face.

Yeah I guess it is a pretty straight forward choice. The kid is in prep school with outstanding grades. But he comes from a single parent household and they don't have money. Dude works the weekend and is a hard working young man. I wish him the best on the decision. I think his Mom is pushing Mizzou due to the money he is being offered. You would think he could get total free rides from some of the HBCUs he applied too. But I think they just see what school he is in HS wise and figure he can pony up some money. And we just don't have the scholarship monies we used to at our schools.

I remember when I lived in Houston and was a VP in our SU alumni chapter. We had a diehard SU alum who's niece was wanting to go to SU and had a couple of other HBCUs on her list. But none of them stepped up with the kind of academic money the University of Tn did. Not only that. They were not in any hurry to get back to the parents and the student. My fellow SU alum was hot. And this was an alum who is active and tried her best to circumvent some of the red tape for her niece. Needless to say that kid ended up going and graduating from UT-Knoxville. Even though folks make decent money. College is a pocket bursting expense and it is hard to turn down that kind of a free ride when your other options mean you got to pay.

That is a problem I see with my white co-workers. They be hell bent on their kids attending the U of Minnesota or U of Wisconsin and when their kids don't get the same amount of money as they do from a N.Dakota State or another smaller school....they are heartbroken. You know they want Jimmy or Becky to follow in their footsteps to their big school alma maters. But it is way more expensive than when they went and none the less, their kids end up at these other schools because they can get free rides vs going to a Big 10 school. Or they have to take out loans that end up being close to a 100k for 4-5 years of school. Talk about debt. LOL.

I know I had full control over where I wanted to attend. My final decision came down to Jackson State, Southern, LSU, and Northwestern State.

1. I eliminated Northwestern State due to lack of familiarity with their campus and the distance.

2. Jackson State eliminated themselves by not sending me important information that my out-of-state fees would be paid and I would receive a full-ride scholarship for academics until July when I was sending them info during the previous summer.

It came down to Southern vs. LSU. The money was pretty much equal, but since I was planning on majoring in Music Education to become a band director and I wanted to continuer being in a showstyle band, I chose SU. I passed both auditions and everything, but at LSU I was told that most freshmen(except for the extremely talented musicians) usually end up having to wait 1 or 2 years before they are accepted into the School of Music, while at Southern, I was able to instantly start in my program. It also helped that I personally never liked LSU, and could not bring myself to imagine having LSU forever linked to my name.

I always wondered what would have happened had JSU been on their stuff and sent me those applications when LSU and SU did.

Last edited:

I'm so glad you posted this, Crit. As a mother of 2 teenage girls, one who is in the 11th grade, I also have been "STRONGLY SUGGESTING" for years that both of m children will attend an HBCU and not just an HBCU, a SWAC HBCU. And like you, Crit, I have been preaching about the importance of grades so that scholarships may become available.

I am proud to mention that both of my girls want to attend HBCUs; my 16-year old (11th grade) wants to attend an HBCU in Louisiana, however. :scared: I am so proud of the choice she made, on her own, but the out of state fees! :scared::scared::scared:

So, I pray that the child does get the grades needed to obtain a scholarship. Not necessarily from the school, but I went to a website that has listings of all these national and local businesses that offer scholarships.
We apply for everything she is eligible for......so hopefully, this will help out.

I really want my children to have the amazing experience I had when I attended UAPB. Not necessarily the same, but to have a sense of belonging, of being surrounded by young, Black, intelligent people who look like them, aspiring to become greater than the stereotype placed on us by White society. I want both of my children to know the history of HBCUs, how and why they came about, and learn how proud it is to be a part of something so historical and wonderful.

I really hope it works out for you & your son Crit. And please pray for me and my daughter.

My niece wanted to attend Southern Miss, my sister told her, "You are going to Jackson State, if you want to attend Southern Miss, you either earn a scholarship or pay your own way!â€￾ My niece received her degree from Jackson State in 2004!

My niece wants to attend Jackson State which we were all happy about however she was recommended to the Posse Foundation and the schools for the Atlanta Posse are all small pwc in the Northeast. If the Posse Foundation accepts her she will attend one of the three below.

BOSTON UNIVERSITY
BARD COLLEGE
THE COLLEGE OF WOOSTER

So are you folks saying that HBCU's don't offer scholarships and the PWC's do? Seem like yall are saying HBCU's don't offer full academic schollies nor other stuff? Or is that just an excuse you tell yourselves for wanting them to go to PWC's?

My niece wanted to attend Southern Miss, my sister told her, "You are going to Jackson State, if you want to attend Southern Miss, you either earn a scholarship or pay your own way!â€￾ My niece received her degree from Jackson State in 2004!

Does your neice have any regrets going to JSU?

I'm so glad you posted this, Crit. As a mother of 2 teenage girls, one who is in the 11th grade, I also have been "STRONGLY SUGGESTING" for years that both of m children will attend an HBCU and not just an HBCU, a SWAC HBCU. And like you, Crit, I have been preaching about the importance of grades so that scholarships may become available.

I am proud to mention that both of my girls want to attend HBCUs; my 16-year old (11th grade) wants to attend an HBCU in Louisiana, however. :scared: I am so proud of the choice she made, on her own, but the out of state fees! :scared::scared::scared:

So, I pray that the child does get the grades needed to obtain a scholarship. Not necessarily from the school, but I went to a website that has listings of all these national and local businesses that offer scholarships.
We apply for everything she is eligible for......so hopefully, this will help out.

I really want my children to have the amazing experience I had when I attended UAPB. Not necessarily the same, but to have a sense of belonging, of being surrounded by young, Black, intelligent people who look like them, aspiring to become greater than the stereotype placed on us by White society. I want both of my children to know the history of HBCUs, how and why they came about, and learn how proud it is to be a part of something so historical and wonderful.

I really hope it works out for you & your son Crit. And please pray for me and my daughter.

Thank you! I've got a few years to keep "encouraging" my son. He's only 4.

:tup: on your daughters wanting to go to HBCUs. I hope they get the scholarships they need to attend. :tup:

At the end of the day, it is the student that has to be satisfied with the school. I know children of HBCU grads that went to PWCs as well as children of PWC grads that went to HBCUs. In the end, the child is the one who will have to explain their choice and pay the loans if they don't get a scholarship. If anything, we should be raising our children to be able to think for themselves and arrive at their own decisions. My mother is also a Southern grad, but she never even expected me to look at her alma mater. She was shocked and pleasantly surprised when I told her that was where I wanted to go, mainly because she never tried to sway me towards her school.

I've seen the other side of this issue as well. I have had non-Black co-workers from PWCs who had an "all or nothing" mentality when it came to their alma maters, which wasn't always fair to the child. For example, I've seen people trying to force their children to hold out from UGA or Auburn when some other PWC has already accepted them and is offering money.

Whether it is an HBCU or a PWC, one thing that I plan to preach to my children is the importance of going to school for as little money as possible. I had fun and learned a lot at my HBCU and I was able to advance my career with the help of the PWC grad school. However, neither one were worth what Sallie Mae wants me to pay them.

At the end of the day, it is the student that has to be satisfied with the school. I know children of HBCU grads that went to PWCs as well as children of PWC grads that went to HBCUs. In the end, the child is the one who will have to explain their choice and pay the loans if they don't get a scholarship. If anything, we should be raising our children to be able to think for themselves and arrive at their own decisions. My mother is also a Southern grad, but she never even expected me to look at her alma mater. She was shocked and pleasantly surprised when I told her that was where I wanted to go, mainly because she never tried to sway me towards her school.

I've seen the other side of this issue as well. I have had non-Black co-workers from PWCs who had an "all or nothing" mentality when it came to their alma maters, which wasn't always fair to the child. For example, I've seen people trying to force their children to hold out from UGA or Auburn when some other PWC has already accepted them and is offering money.

Whether it is an HBCU or a PWC, one thing that I plan to preach to my children is the importance of going to school for as little money as possible. I had fun and learned a lot at my HBCU and I was able to advance my career with the help of the PWC grad school. However, neither one were worth what Sallie Mae wants me to pay them.

Definitely.

My mom is a Southern alum and she encouraged me to attend her alma mater. My daughter is currently looking at colleges and I am putting no pressure on her whatsoever. She's looking at several colleges - PWCs and HBCUs. I think the final decision will come down to where she can get the best education for the least amount of money out of pocket.

So are you folks saying that HBCU's don't offer scholarships and the PWC's do? Seem like yall are saying HBCU's don't offer full academic schollies nor other stuff? Or is that just an excuse you tell yourselves for wanting them to go to PWC's?

CEE, both of my girls will be attending an HBCU. My oldest daughter wants to attend an HBCU in Louisiana and my youngest wants to attend UAPB! I am so proud of both of them for their decisions. I really believe both of my girls will receive a better education at an HBCU than at a PWC. The environment is more nurturing and I want both to be an atmosphere surrounded by people who look like them, taught by people who can better relate to their needs and have a better understanding as to how to meet their educational needs.

Bottom line is black folks thank white is right. They thank sending their kids around white folks will make them better and get better jobs. They thank it will make them diverse. We are the only race trying to be in everyone else, yet other races ain't stutting us.

Well CEE, I don't think that way. Personally, and I don't mean to sound racist, but I'd be more worried if either of my girls went to a PWC than an HBCU. I rarely, seldom hear of mass shootings, killings that occur at HBCUs, but I do hear a lot about it at the PWCs (and some of the victims are Black students).

As for the better jobs, true story...........before I started working for the government, I was a Quality Assurance Lab Analyst for Coca-Cola Enterprises, Inc. I had been working there for about 2.5 years and was promoted to QA Lab Supervisor. I later went back into my uniform (gave up the Supervisor position) and became Senior QA Lab Analyst. My pay was only $16/hour, but I was happy. I went to my bank one day to make a withdrawal and the teller, who was a young Black male, asked me what I did for a living. I told him and then proceeded to ask me if I had a college degree. I told him I graduated from UAPB. He then said he was attending UALR. When I asked him why not UAPB, or Philander Smith, he immediately said, "C'mon now. You won't get a good job if you graduate from a Black school". I then asked him how much he made as a teller and he told me. I then told him how much I made at Coca-Cola; told him I wouldn't make that much if it wasn't for that degree I earned at a "Black school".

Folks do have the right to send their kids where they wanna, but be honest about the truth. Half of these modern day ninjas want their kids to be around white folks. That's why these kids so screwed up now. Doing all that white folk crazy shyt. Done messed up the stat files for the FBI and everythang. Yall know black didn't use to do all that crazy white folk stuff. Black folks have the idea that white folks are competitive. That is a big lie. They lie, steal and skim to get ahead. That's all they do in the corp world. Steal someone else's idea or take credit for it while trying to hold you back an get you out the door.

Again, I believe my children would be safer around people who look like them than around Caucasoids. The environment is so much more nurturing at HBCUs. You aren't just a number or satisfying quotas when you attend an HBCU; you truly do fit in and there is always something for you at an HBCU.

Another thing is, we all wanted the HBCU experience because we heard our parents, friends, relatives, neighbors and other folks talk about it. They made us wanna be apart of that history. It is funny that black folks in 2010 don't wanna share that or don't attempt to share that with their kids. It is funny that you black folks will pressure them to join your little fraternities and sororities to keep the family tradition going, but not the HBCU's. See when it comes to them being apart of your lil clubs you find that a priority, but not the same for your HBCU.

My boys were always indoctrinated to attend HBCU's with them both knowing that the smile would be on their father's face if that HBCU was JSU. My oldest did not attend a HBCU, but was accepted to Fort Valley, Albany and Savannah State. He attended a community college and the plan was to get his Associates there and then go to an HBCU. But he's off track (long story). And I was so proud of my youngest when he was in the 10th grade and did a presentation on HBCU's in his class and defended the idea of how black students should attend HBCU's to his fellow (black) students and it was his idea. Now he has put the smile on his father's face because he will be attending JSU in the fall!!! I'm so happy!! And we're still trying to recruit other students to JSU and HBCU's (even tho his girl is going to UGA, full ride hey) But I was wondering would I write a check to another HBCU, but I'm glad I won't have to find out!!

My boys were always indoctrinated to attend HBCU's with them both knowing that the smile would be on their father's face if that HBCU was JSU. My oldest did not attend a HBCU, but was accepted to Fort Valley, Albany and Savannah State. He attended a community college and the plan was to get his Associates there and then go to an HBCU. But he's off track (long story). And I was so proud of my youngest when he was in the 10th grade and did a presentation on HBCU's in his class and defended the idea of how black students should attend HBCU's to his fellow (black) students and it was his idea. Now he has put the smile on his father's face because he will be attending JSU in the fall!!! I'm so happy!! And we're still trying to recruit other students to JSU and HBCU's (even tho his girl is going to UGA, full ride hey) But I was wondering would I write a check to another HBCU, but I'm glad I won't have to find out!!

That's GREAT!!!! Congrats! :tup: :tup:

They go to those other schools and can only get the best jobs at our HBCUs and we are stupid enough to hire them. The worst they bring nothing to the table.

you hit the nail on our headMighty Dog....we will overpay for someone who never attended our schools because we think they know something that we don't...in all reality, they know less because they were specialized and not exposed to alot...

they come to our schools, get confused because they can't handle pressure and then cave in.....or in some cases, we'll hire them, provide them with more resources to be successful to make them look better

Bottom line is black folks thank white is right. They thank sending their kids around white folks will make them better and get better jobs. They thank it will make them diverse. We are the only race trying to be in everyone else, yet other races ain't stutting us.
Not so fast bud. Maybe the recommendation came because the HBCU(s) that currently exist doesn't
offer the major or track that the student is trying to pursue. My dad went to Morgan my Mom went
to WVSU (the whitest HBCU ever), but neither offered the major that I wanted to pursue at the time.

Last edited:
Back