Parents who are HBCU grads, but recommend against them to children?

Ya'll so cold. :lol:

Wrong forum, but I'd actually like to see some opinions on this subject.

Most that I know because they had such horrible experiences at those schools. It wasn't the classes or social life that annoyed them-it was the battle with Financial Aid or someone in the offices that ticked them off.

Most that I know because they had such horrible experiences at those schools. It wasn't the classes or social life that annoyed them-it was the battle with Financial Aid or someone in the offices that ticked them off.

What school are you from?

If those parents are paying for their children's education, I feel they have the right to say and recommend what they please, regardless of their affiliation.

Even if their child won/earned a scholarship to any school in the world, they can still suggest and recommend as they please.

Bottom line is black folks thank white is right. They thank sending their kids around white folks will make them better and get better jobs. They thank it will make them diverse. We are the only race trying to be in everyone else, yet other races ain't stutting us.

Bottom line is black folks thank white is right. They thank sending their kids around white folks will make them better and get better jobs. They thank it will make them diverse. We are the only race trying to be in everyone else, yet other races ain't stutting us.

:clap:

It's the old that isn't the real world (Black people doing for themselves) sale pitch mentality.

Ya'll so cold. :lol:

Wrong forum, but I'd actually like to see some opinions on this subject.

I agree.

I feel that one should be able to go where they want or can ($$$), but some excellent points were made here.

Last edited:
Well, this is my opinion.
As for me and my house, we will be supporting HBCUs. I respect any parent's decision to send their child(ren) to where they want to spend their money.

My son can choose where he wants to go, especially if full scholarships are involved and the school/department is accredited. I will be, however, pushing our black colleges/universities.

Folks do have the right to send their kids where they wanna, but be honest about the truth. Half of these modern day ninjas want their kids to be around white folks. That's why these kids so screwed up now. Doing all that white folk crazy shyt. Done messed up the stat files for the FBI and everythang. Yall know black didn't use to do all that crazy white folk stuff. Black folks have the idea that white folks are competitive. That is a big lie. They lie, steal and skim to get ahead. That's all they do in the corp world. Steal someone else's idea or take credit for it while trying to hold you back an get you out the door.

Last edited:
My daughter is a junior at the University of North Florida because:
  1. It has the best nursing program in the state and is among the tops in the nation.
  2. She wanted to stay in Florida for her undergraduate study;
  3. We had no better HBCU options.

It was an easy choice.

I don't believe going to a predominately white institution automatically makes one better prepared for the real world. And I don't think going to an HBCU does either.

I think parents and kids have to select colleges and universities that are affordable first off, and also provides the best possible education for what that young person hopes to become in terms of a career post graduation.

If those parties believe that going to Northwestern or a small liberal arts college is the best route to ultimately acquire a degree that will lead to promising career opportunities, then fine.

If one believes Grambing, Southern, Jackson State, Morgan State or Florida A&M or Clark-Atlanta is the best for them, then you can't knock those choices either.

Every individual life situation is different.

My daughter is a junior at the University of North Florida because:
  1. It has the best nursing program in the state and is among the tops in the nation.
  2. She wanted to stay in Florida for her undergraduate study;
  3. We had no better HBCU options.

It was an easy choice.

FAMU and Bethune don't have solid nursing programs?

Folks do have the right to send their kids where they wanna, but be honest about the truth. Half of these modern day ninjas want their kids to be around white folks. That's why these kids so screwed up now. Doing all that white folk crazy shyt. Done messed up the stat files for the FBI and everythang. Yall know black didn't use to do all that crazy white folk stuff. Black folks have the idea that white folks are competitive. That is a big lie. They lie, steal and skim to get ahead. That's all they do in the corp world. Steal someone else's idea or take credit for it while trying to hold you back an get you out the door.

Where do you get this stuff?!? :lmao:
:lmao:

Let me get the policitcally correct statement out the way:
Every person/parent has right to send their child(ren) to where they want to spend their money. :D

Now, I'm with Cee on this...folks think "white is right" when they send their kids to a non-HBCU. Most times, when you ask them why they are pushing their kids to go to a non-HBCU over a HBCU they give a wack ass statement like, "name recognition. programs are better".

I usually give them the :retard:and then be like, "fool your child is going to University of Alabama....don't nobody outside of Alabama care about that school!! you don't even know what programs they offer!! :lol:

I had this discussion with a black co-worker last year. He is Pro-Black everything so I can't knock him too hard...and he didn't know much about HBCU's before I broke it down for him. I told him there are people with Univeristy of Illinois degrees standing in the unemployment line right behind people with Jackson State degrees. Going to a PWC does not guarantee anybody a job. So kill all that mess.

Unless that child is going to MIT, Northwestern, Harvard (which is name recognition only in my opinion), Princeton,etc. then that child can take his ass right to a HBCU and get a quality education as well as a better overall college experience.

Of course...tuition costs come into play. but hell, even out-of-state tuition costs for HBCU's are cheaper than some in-state college tuition costs...so that's also a non-factor when discussing it.

So basically...do what you want to do with your money/education/kids but don't ever try to step to me and down my HBCU's to justify your decision! You will walk away looking/feeling stupid...and probably have your feelings hurt!! :lol:

I didn't go to a HBCU, but I do suggest them to other people. Clearly, I know a lot of people that have gone to HBCUs and I listen to some of their experiences. I will say that one thing that these schools need to do is step up their recruitment efforts outside of sports. I say this because in high school, I only knew of a couple of HBCUs because I went on a black college tour my sophomore yr. When I took the PSAT and SAT/ACT my mailbox would be flooded by PWCs, phone would be ringing off the hook and they were all offering money. I think the only HBCUs that contacted me were Howard and Fisk.

Right now my kids are young but they have been exposed to ASU where I went. I tell them about it and I will let them know of the experiences good or bad. Now, I will not suggest ONLY HBCU's to them. I want them to know that they have options. My parents told me, "You're going to Alabama State...period!" No other options at ALL!! Never! NONE! When I say NO OTHER OPTIONS...I mean it!!:lol: I will not "box" my child in like that. The only reason I went to ASU because my mom said "if it was good enough for me, it's good enough for you!" DID I apply and get accepted to other schools, yes I did! Did they even entertain it...well I answered that already.:lol:

Obviously, I believe in choices and I won't do that to my kids for the sake of exposing them to a certain experience.

I am not going to FORCE my son to attend to an HBCU just because I graduated from one. I would love for him to attend Southern University but it will be his choice..

Back