Parents who are HBCU grads, but recommend against them to children?

:shame:

You sound like my frat bruh's Dad who is an Alcorn grad. My frat went to Morehouse over Alcorn and his old man was like he aint going to pay isht for him to go to the House and pass up a free ride to Alcorn.

Now this I agree with. P88's daughter got a full ride to Duke so she could say fugg what ya'll got to say, I have made my own decision and I have secured my own means. Now if that's the case, my child (when I have some... :lol:) can go where they want but if you got full ride to JSU in a major that I know JSU is top notch in and you want to go to another school and pay out the azz....that's on him/her. Now if JSU and giving up no $$ and another school is...the game changes for that as well. To me, most undergrad educations are the same. It's grad school that really matters. There is no need to pay out the azz for an undergrad degree.

My boys were always indoctrinated to attend HBCU's with them both knowing that the smile would be on their father's face if that HBCU was JSU. My oldest did not attend a HBCU, but was accepted to Fort Valley, Albany and Savannah State. He attended a community college and the plan was to get his Associates there and then go to an HBCU. But he's off track (long story). And I was so proud of my youngest when he was in the 10th grade and did a presentation on HBCU's in his class and defended the idea of how black students should attend HBCU's to his fellow (black) students and it was his idea. Now he has put the smile on his father's face because he will be attending JSU in the fall!!! I'm so happy!! And we're still trying to recruit other students to JSU and HBCU's (even tho his girl is going to UGA, full ride hey) But I was wondering would I write a check to another HBCU, but I'm glad I won't have to find out!!

...and he is sooo blessed to have his girl going to another school. He does not need that headache or distraction.

I don't know...but they weren't in the top 5 in the state nor the top 5 in the USA. UNF is, and that made the choice simple.

When I went to JSU in 1979 for Computer Science, it was in the Top 10 in the country. That was the first and most overwhelming criterion for me. Being an HBCU just made it a little more intriguing. The only reason that I had heard of Jackson State prior to then was that the Tigers lost to the Rattlers in football playoffs the previous fall when FAMU won the championship.

I had offers for full academic scholarships from more than 300 colleges and universities - including all of the Ivy League and every polytechnic in the country. When I got to Jackson, I knew I had made the right choice for me.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Students at Florida A&M University (FAMU) in the School of Nursing received a 100 percent pass rate on the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN), which is used by state, commonwealth and territorial boards of nursing to assist in making licensure decisions.

“I am extremely happy,â€￾ said Ruena Norman, interim dean of the School of Nursing. “The results represent the hard work of our students and faculty.â€￾

NCLEX-RN is required for entry into the practice of nursing in the United States and its territories is regulated by the licensing authorities within each jurisdiction. To ensure public protection, each jurisdiction requires a candidate for licensure to pass an examination that measures the competencies needed to perform safely and effectively as a newly licensed, entry-level nurse. The Florida Board of Nursing regulates practice in the State of Florida.

The National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN), composed of member boards, provides leadership to advance regulatory excellence for public protection.

“I applaud and commend the outstanding job of our nursing students,â€￾ said Cynthia Hughes Harris, provost and vice president for Academic Affairs. “This accomplishment demonstrates the hard work and the commitment of our faculty and the quality our students.â€￾

2 Florida schools achieve 100% pass rate on NCLEX

Congrats! http://www.tallahassee.com/article/2...26009/1001/RSS

Twenty-five students at Tallahassee Community College and Florida A&M University are prepared to enter their respective careers of nursing. All of those students passed the professional exam to become a nurse known as the National Council Licensure Examination or NCLEX.

Alice Nied, TCC nursing director, said the students learned that they all passed the test on July 13.

“I am so proud of the students and their hard work and the effort and dedication of the faculty, staff and lab personnel,” Nied said.

That's a great testimony CLIFF. Happy for FAM.

But if UCF is offering my child 100% academic scholarship and FAMU is offering 0 dollars scholarship, where do you think my child is attending? I advocate going where one is happy.

For me, I didn't choose PVAMU out of "history" or any other type association, owing them anything, etc. I settled on PVAMU after listening to the advise of a PVAMU alum only - of which, he KNEW I was about to txfer @ the start of my soph yr to Texas A&M University. I was headed for either of Texas Tech or Texas A&M Univ, my first choices and had 150% full-ride to each. :read: Those were my 1st 2 choices, w/ Sam Houston St a close third, again, 150% academic full-ride. @ the last minute, literally :smh:, I settled on PVAMU because it satisfied someone else, not me. My bckgrnd & upbringing was geared for me to excel @ those first 3 schools. :read: It's slightly sad and very telling when an anglo former HS instructor you hadn't spoken w/ in over 20+ yrs meets you recently and you tell them that you attended PVAMU undergrad and his first words are <b>"I'll bet you were culture shocked weren't you P88?"</b> I told him he was 101% correct and I'd never been around that many black ppl in my whole life lol. Sad, but very true.

I think it's a subjective decision and no one owes anyone anything. I raised PV's grad%/gpa profile. I could've <b>easily</b> done likewise had I'd attended Texas Tech U, Texas A&M U, or Sam Houston St U - prev training for 14yrs had already taken place. :| Period.

Last edited:
2 Florida schools achieve 100% pass rate on NCLEX

Congrats! http://www.tallahassee.com/article/2...26009/1001/RSS

Twenty-five students at Tallahassee Community College and Florida A&M University are prepared to enter their respective careers of nursing. All of those students passed the professional exam to become a nurse known as the National Council Licensure Examination or NCLEX.

Alice Nied, TCC nursing director, said the students learned that they all passed the test on July 13.

“I am so proud of the students and their hard work and the effort and dedication of the faculty, staff and lab personnel,” Nied said.
I have heard good things about the FAMU Nursing School. Congrats. However, either I am missing something besides the link to the article or something is not jibing here.

According to records on the FL Department Of Health website, FAMU had 5 of 7 (71.43%) and TCC had 22 of 23 (95.65) students pass the last test for a total of 27 students successful. Meanwhile there were 12 colleges in the state that had 100% of there candidates pass the test in June. Somebody did not do a good job of research on that story.

Back