Options other than DSL

I have a cable modem through AT&T Broadband, and I have had very few problems with them. The good thing about having them is that when I moved to another place in my complex, they just transferred the service.

I've heard the horror stories about installation with DSL, and that's enough to make me stay away from it. I got my cable modem up and running within a week of requesting it, and it only took the tech about an hour to hook everything up.

From what I was told, there is a difference in the speed, but if the network card on your computer can't handle anything faster than 10 mg, then it doesn't matter whether you are IN the DSL headquarters or not, you'll still get the same connection.

Thanks for the info Sonic. I just want a faster service! I've heard good and bad things concerning AOL, just didn't know how true they were.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by Batman
I have a cable modem through AT&T Broadband, and I have had very few problems with them. The good thing about having them is that when I moved to another place in my complex, they just transferred the service.

I've heard the horror stories about installation with DSL, and that's enough to make me stay away from it. I got my cable modem up and running within a week of requesting it, and it only took the tech about an hour to hook everything up.

From what I was told, there is a difference in the speed, but if the network card on your computer can't handle anything faster than 10 mg, then it doesn't matter whether you are IN the DSL headquarters or not, you'll still get the same connection.

Most horror stories are greatly overrated. Unless you're using a company that is behind on technogoly. All the major ones:AOL, Bellsouth, Earthlink, and AT&T use a hook-up similar to covad. THey send you a DSL modem. You hook a line from the wall to the DSL modem and the DSL modem to the phone. From there you either plug it into your USB port or you use an ethernet chord. That's no harder a setup that hooking up an answering machine. IF you're dealing with a company that requires someone to come out to house, you need to not deal with him. I used to worked for MEdia One/Road Runner. I heard a lot of cable install horror stories too.

Back