Options other than DSL

MACKG

a.k.a. NASTYNUPE
I tried to sign up for DSL, but SBC said that I lived too far from the Central Office. What is the next bext alternative to inexpensive high speed connectivity.

Thanks,

NN

Cable

Try high-speed access through your cable company. If they have the service, it doesn't matter how far away you are from some central office. I have had both, and cable seems to me more reliable and easier to have set up. Though they both require a special modem, but I had a much easier time with having my service set up for cable (Time Warner's Road Runner) versus DSL (BellSouth - twice).

The only downside I've faced is that speed on cable isn't exactly as fast as DSL. As more people get on the system, it slows a bit. However, Road Runner is new in my area, and I've talked to other folks who have had cable Internet in their area for a while (RR & others), and theirs is just as fast as DSL. Also, I doubt you'd notice the slowdown unless you had actual tests run or you're downloading 100+ Mb files like videos. Even then, cable was no slouch!!

To sum it up, GET CABLE!! You won't be disappointed :tup:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I have to disagree about Cable being easier or more reliable. Cable was a higher "potential" maxium, but I think DSL has a higher minimum and it doesn't drop down like cable when more people in the neighbothood get on. But your next option is Cable. There is also satellite. There is also a new kinda satellite internet that is supposed to be half the price, but its over a year away. But right now I'd go with cable modem if you can't get DSL. I just hope Road Runner and the other big Cable modem service aren't as crappy as they are in most other cities.

They are what the companies make them

Here's why I think either one is what it is: I tried to get DSL twice. The first time was with some bullcrap company out of California who just happened to wanna work to get me access. That's about the only thing good about them. They cost more ($60) and it took like 3-4 months for them to get it in. They had to go through BellSouth (cause that's who owns the phone lines) and had Covad outta Atlanta to install it. Once it was up, it was BLAZING!!! I wouldn't have traded it for the world. But then it stopped. It wouldn't come on again for a week or so. Then it was on & poppin again for about a month or so and STOPPED AGAIN!!! It never came on again after that :redhot:

Later on, BellSouth called themselves offering access. Mind you, I'm only about 5 miles from a central building, so distance shouldn't be a problem. Still, when they tried to verify my lines, they said I was ineligible. Then they called again a month later and offered me DSL. So I tried again and they said I wasn't verified. At about that time, RR was newly available. I got it, it's been on for almost a year, and I've had NO DROPOFFS!!! Lemme repeat that... NONE!!! When I called initially to ask some questions, I have NO PROBLEM getting customer service (as opposed to waiting for HOURS with that group in CA, Covad, or BellSouth). That's what I mean by reliability.

As far as speed, yes I'm slower than DSL right now, but it's new & being built up. Plus, I have never experienced slower speeds because of high traffic (maybe cause it's new). I have friends on another cable system that started here earlier (Charter Communications) and they say they are just as fast as DSL. You really just have to know what's going on in your city to see what's the best high-speed Internet option for you.

I'd suggest going to http://www.dslreports.com. They have loads of info on DSL, cable, etc options for high-speed access and reports from users about the companies in their area. There are also tests you can use to see how fast you're going. Good source.

I'm glad I'm in an area where DSL is good and you're in one where Cable is good. When I was doing tech support for Road Runner, there were so many states that were having problems all the time. I wasn't getting calls from Alabama, so I guess they did a good job of putting it out there. I'm using Bellsouth for DSL, and it's great. My Dad has DSL through the mother of all bad ISPs AOL. The DSL is ok, but its still AOL which acts funny sometimes.

Sonic, tell me more about the AOL DSL. The first time I received their modem, it was bad. Yep...they sent me a bad modem! What other horror stories do they harbor?

Lots of choices!!(Earthlink employee.. I be knownin!)

Try Broadlink Service it is a wireless version of DSL. Runs about 49.95 a month.

If you live in that remote of an area. You might want to try Satellite Service. Provides a reliable speed for about 69.95 a month. Costs a pretty penny to setup though you have to pay for the equipment upfront.

Cable is a good alternative except the speeds are iffy depending on how many people in your neighborhood have the same service you will all be sharing the connection at the same time, which kills your speeds.

Any other questions?

Man, I've called all of those places and none of them offer high speed internet connection to my area.

Earthlink

As far as speed and reliablity Earthlink very good.

But as far as DSL is concerned if SBC says you are too far then there is nothing that Earthlink can do for you in the DSL area.

That is why I suggested Broadlink or Satellite service.

Did SBC tell you how far from the CO you were?

SBC said that I was too far but Earthlink said that I could be serviced through one of their vendors. $49.95 a month with a 12 month commitment. Is that the going rate for DSL? Oh yea...the modem is free.

Ok this is the thing.. did you call into sales?

Because this is the deal. If your phone company says no. Then the answer is no. Because Earthlink has to go through your phone company in order to provide you with the service.

Vendors go through your phone company. If you are too far.. you are too far. Period.

SBC will need to install what is called a remote terminal in your area in order to provide you with service.
and they normally only do that after they have had a significant amount of people attempt to get DSL in one area.

I called Earthlink and spoke with a sista(she was very helpful) She ran my phone number and address throgh a query and found out that service could be provided to my complex. There is another company that our office has a flyer for...AXIS or something like that. But they want you to spend $169 bucks for their modem plus an installation fee. UCKF them!!!

I think the vendors name was Covert or something like that.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I called SBC Tuesday. They said that I couldn't get their DSL services but I could get their ISDN services. It's interesting because my coworker lives not more than 1/4 mile down the street on the same street and he has DSL through SBC.

Well DSL is a tricky technology that way.

Because the test for service is done on a line by line basis and not based on area. For instance, You could probably have DSL service but the apartment above or behind you cannot.
If the physical phone line that comes to your home was installed poorly then that can hinder you from having service. If there are old phone lines in your apt building. These are all factors.

And even the servicablity check that the sales rep does is just a preliminary check it doesn't gaurantee that we can service you.

She also said that it could take up to 4 weeks to get me up and running and billing doesn't start until then. Plus the 2nd month is free.

actually that is incorrect.

The billing starts 3 days after the line is complete. Because you get the hardware before that and once you get it plug everything and wait for all the lights to go solid green.

And yes it can take up to 4 weeks but that depends on whether or not there is a problem installing the service. The average time for connection is about 14 days.

A moderator can delete that other thread..that was a mistake.

What do you know about Megapath and Speakeasy?

Comparison

I have always heard pretty good things about Speakeasy and Megapath.

But it totally depends on what kinds of speeds you are looking for and what you are planning to use your service for to determine whether they would be what you need.

There are several different types of DSL service.

ADSL which provides a best-effort speed of 1500Kbps download and 128KPS upload. ADSL is the type of service Earthlink provides. 49.95 a month

Megapath also provides ADSL service except they offer it in 2 different packages with 2 different speeds. For instance, Earthlink provides one plan for all with speeds of 1500/128 for 49.95. Whereas with Megapath you will be paying 90.00 a month for that same service. That 90.00 does include a static ip which you would need if you wanted to telecommute. Earthlink charges 15.00 a month for a statis IP only if you request it. but even if you did get the static IP you would still only be paying 64.95 a month and not 90.00

RADSL is service 608Kbps/128Kbps which is offered by Speakeasy. Since SBC was saying you were too far from the CO for thier service this may be what you end up having to get because the farther from the CO you are the slower your speeds will be. But the price is about 69.00 a month. But they do give you a static IP with that but Earthlink is still cheaper.

All this info can be found on www.dslreports.com

DSL from one company but not another...

Hey NASTY & bagger... It IS possible to get serviced DSL from one company even though your local phone company doesn't offer it to you. That was my situation with BellSouth. Though they said they weren't offering it for my line right now, another company out of California (Zyan) got me set up. They had installation done through Covad. On the other hand, my DSL service only lasted a few months, so maybe it doesn't work.

Anyway, give it a try. I'm with bagger; anything you'd wanna know about DSL service is at DSLreports. They might also have info on Earthlink's performance in your area. I saw a mixed bag when I looked into Earthlink, but maybe they've improved since then (1 or more years ago).

kevdawg what happened to you is very common.

The reason Bellsouth told you they can't service you is because it would not be cost effective for you or them to service you that is why they said no.

Any other company will tell you yeah knowing that the speed will suck just to get your money for some of the time...

I have been teching and servicing DSL accounts for 2 years I have seen it all.. It gets ugly dealing with phoen companies trust me.

Originally posted by BluBlood
Sonic, tell me more about the AOL DSL. The first time I received their modem, it was bad. Yep...they sent me a bad modem! What other horror stories do they harbor?

It's AOL. What more is there to say. When he initially got it, I let him hook it up on my old computer. Then I moved my new one in there because I didn't have DSL at the time. I could not get connected. It kept stopping at Step 2 saying it couldn't find the DSL modem. I had to turn both the modem and PC off, turned the modem back on, when all lights lit up I turned the computer back on. Then I had to remove and re-install the AOL Plus software and my nic card drivers a few times. I never did get the USB version of it to work. Not that I wanted to use up one of my USB ports anyway. I think the reason it might not have worked is because they had me install this 2nd program, but I found you only need it if you're using AOL DSL through USB. That is probably why I had to remove all AOL software and drivers. Plus, not to mentioned there is still AOL freeze up sometime or losing connection to it's server. Not to mention that AOL software slows the computer down, and your computer never seems to act right when you have AOL. I have this ad blocking program called Pow. It doesn't even work with AOL installed on my computer. Plus, I don't like the idea of having to login to AOL just like you do with dial-up.

Back