Opinions on FAMU incident

jagface

Somewhat warped?

Frat Members Should Not Have Been Punished for Hazing
By Dominic Hunter
Black College Wire

When athletes get injured at practice, are the players allowed to sue the team?

When drug dealers have a sour deal and it results in one party not getting what was intended, is that party allowed to press charges?

Well, that is what is being stated in the ruling against the two Kappa Alpha Psi brothers at Florida A&M University sentenced Jan. 29 for violating Florida's anti-hazing law.

If you haven't been following the case, Marcus Jones, a former pledge, had the state press charges against the entire Alpha Xi chapter after participating in its pledging process. As a result, the chapter was suspended indefinitely, two brothers were sentenced to two years and other members of the intake team are being required to go through another trial.
This is an injustice that does not sit well in my heart. Let it be understood that I am speaking neither for my chapter brothers nor Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. This comes strictly from the distraught mind of D.J. Hunter.

In the hazing process, one subjects himself to whatever happens to him. Therefore, he chooses to remain around for the abuse. To receive the abuse Marcus Jones did, an individual had to sit still and let someone beat on him, meaning the fault should be no one's but his own. A young man assisted in illegal activity, found he wasn't strong enough to withstand the whole process and wants justice.

More...
http://www.blackcollegewire.org/voices/070212_hunter/

Interesting retort.

Fake Fraternalism
By Lawrence C. Ross Jr.
Black College Wire

I was absolutely thrilled to read Dominic Hunter’s column on the Kappa Alpha Psi hazing case ("Frat Members Should Not Have Been Punished for Hazing," Feb. 14), mainly because it’s so rare that you get an opportunity for insight into the warped and illogical thought processes that make hazing such an insidious part of the African American fraternal experience.

It is through Hunter’s “distraught mind” that we understand that there are a lot of black fraternal members who see nothing wrong with breaking their oaths and causing destruction in the name of their organizations. No, unlike what most people think, in their brains the solution is simple: It’s the victim’s fault.

To understand the mentality of Divine Nine members like Hunter, you have to understand one thing — their fraternal oath means nothing. It is a suggestion, a whimsical bit of words created by long-dead men and women when concepts like fidelity, loyalty and trust were quaint concepts. Oh, sure, they may prance around campus shouting to the heavens about how they “love” their organization, but when it really comes down to it, they love themselves much, much more than they love their fraternal organization.

More...
http://www.blackcollegewire.org/voices/070215_ross/

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
both were at fault.

If I dont want to be HAZED up then I shouldlnt be there and I should rethink what it takes to be in that Frat at that chapter

on the flipside.

I dont see how beating a dude down to an inch of his life (dont know if that happened) is going to promote brotherhood. They went too far.

Im still on the fence with this one.

Likewise, I don't have an answer for the situation either. The law was broken; therefore, jail was imminent.

As for the writer of the first piece, he is throwed off. He exposed himself and his chapter beyond reproach. Some form of reprimand will come to him soon.

I work here with one of DJ's chapter brothers and he is pissed at the comments. NUPE thought DJ and I were kin folk at first.

Personally I believe they should have recieved a reduced sentence because EVERY initiate in to my beloved fraternity signs a form stating that if hazing occurs or if they are asked to participate in an event that may lead to hazing to report it to the proper authorities IMMEDIATELY.

This was reported LONG after the hazing begin so both are at fault. I believe the young men should have been fined double the amount as the medical bills, placed on 10 years probabtion, expelled from the fraternity, and once they decided to get their licensure for their prospective occupations, they would have to petition the court.

Jail is not the answer to all wrong doings.

DSN, that's hefty. But, the differential is the law. That's where frat really messed up. Besides, we're told constantly, "You're responsible - totally." With that being known, more discretion should have been utilized.

DSN, that's hefty. But, the differential is the law. That's where frat really messed up. Besides, we're told constantly, "You're responsible - totally." With that being known, more discretion should have been utilized.

It's not jail though.

See what most irritates me about the justice system is that fact that jail is not rehabilative. What are these guys being rehabilated for? Will the system supply them psychological help? I don't think so.

I remember a dude at Grambling when Gamma Psi got suspended. This guy said on national TV that he could have left at any time but stayed. He then gets full membership in the frat and two guys are expelled from the frat and school.

It's not jail though.

See what most irritates me about the justice system is that fact that jail is not rehabilative. What are these guys being rehabilated for? Will the system supply them psychological help? I don't think so.

I remember a dude at Grambling when Gamma Psi got suspended. This guy said on national TV that he could have left at any time but stayed. He then gets full membership in the frat and two guys are expelled from the frat and school.

The redundant part of it all is that the fraternity claims responsibility for its' candidates. The candidates are never at fault. Be it that, the members must learn to be more responsible with their methodology.

A fool who pledged the undergrad chapter I advise decided to get more real after his process was over. They made a joke out of his ass. A true b!tch he became. But, he was already in. Who could he sue? Some, like the FAMU2, get a little presumptious...

The redundant part of it all is that the fraternity claims responsibility for its' candidates. The candidates are never at fault. Be it that, the members must learn to be more responsible with their methodology.

A fool who pledged the undergrad chapter I advise decided to get more real after his process was over. They made a joke out of his ass. A true b!tch he became. But, he was already in. Who could he sue? Some, like the FAMU2, get a little presumptious...

What bothers me is that the guys inflicting all of this pain on a person usually does the least amount of work in the frat.

Let me throw a rabbit in the pot. If this was a another fraternity other than Kappa Alpha Psi, would your opinion change?

Bottom line, these brother went way too far with this mess. You should pledge the mind not the body. Mindful, I have no problem taking some wood but there is a limit. I remember a couple of my homeboys cornered me while on line and commence to come down hard on me. I thought they would be the ones to protect me. One shoved me and teh others laughed. Well, once I went over, we were at a party and her started bragging about what he did. Well, I drilled him in the chest to his unbelief. Then I told him he has two more coming and he wouldn't be warned when. Now, I was wrong but it felt good. :p

We have a lot of knuckle-heads within Greekdom, a few bad apples should not spoil the masses. How many of the brothers on the board are financial and active.
I'm going to start a thread so everyone post.

Let me throw a rabbit in the pot. If this was a another fraternity other than Kappa Alpha Psi, would your opinion change?

Bottom line, these brother went way too far with this mess. You should pledge the mind not the body. Mindful, I have no problem taking some wood but there is a limit. I remember a couple of my homeboys cornered me while on line and commence to come down hard on me. I thought they would be the ones to protect me. One shoved me and teh others laughed. Well, once I went over, we were at a party and her started bragging about what he did. Well, I drilled him in the chest to his unbelief. Then I told him he has two more coming and he wouldn't be warned when. Now, I was wrong but it felt good. :p

We have a lot of knuckle-heads within Greekdom, a few bad apples should not spoil the masses. How many of the brothers on the board are financial and active.
I'm going to start a thread so everyone post.

My opinion would not change because I have too many close friends in other fraternities. I just don't believe jail is a cure for someone who has done wrong. There are so many options where a person can and will feel punished.

My opinion can't change because I'm not a Kappa and I feel just like DSN and other Kappa's on the board, maybe these guys did go too far but they didnt act alone because these guys came out there on their own (they wanted to) no one begged them meaning that they had some involvement in the incident.

My opinion can't change because I'm not a Kappa and I feel just like DSN and other Kappa's on the board, maybe these guys did go too far but they didnt act alone because these guys came out there on their own (they wanted to) no one begged them meaning that they had some involvement in the incident.

..and if the kid had not submitted himself to the brutality, these same "brothers" would have ostracized and alienated him because in their eyes, he would not have been "real." He would have been an outcast in his own chapter...it happens all the time and the folks on here trying to rationalize this mess full well know it.

The day is coming folks....mark my words, the day is coming! :smh:

..and if the kid had not submitted himself to the brutality, these same "brothers" would have ostracized and alienated him because in their eyes, he would not have been "real." He would have been an outcast in his own chapter...it happens all the time and the folks on here trying to rationalize this mess full well know it.

So that means that you wanted to go out there because of what someone saying you not real. Ok that happens a lot in different situations but it is on you to worry about what someone else thinks of you. I mean I'm sure people that didn't go out or that have been put in this same situation handled it differently. I don't care what no one says it is a 2 way street. So did someone say that to you and how did you handle it?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
So that means that you wanted to go out there because of what someone saying you not real. Ok that happens a lot in different situations but it is on you to worry about what someone else thinks of you. I mean I'm sure people that didn't go out or that have been put in this same situation handled it differently. I don't care what no one says it is a 2 way street. So did someone say that to you and how did you handle it?

Those that said it to me were instantly dismissed as IGNORANT, and I went on about my business!

But I pledged in a different time and place, and I know for a fact what goes on with too many of these college greeks today. Some actually go back AFTER they have been duly inititated, and allow BROTHERS/SORORS to beat their asses just so they can feel "accepted" by that faction of their chapters. If I've seen it once, I've seen it a thousand times!!

Those that said it to me were instantly dismissed as IGNORANT, and I went on about my business!

But I pledged in a different time and place, and I know for a fact what goes on with too many of these college greeks today. Some actually go back AFTER they have been duly inititated, and allow BROTHERS/SORORS to beat their asses just so they can feel "accepted" by that faction of their chapters. If I've seen it once, I've seen it a thousand times!!
You are totally correct on that and guess what they are very weak minded. I know alot that goes on with these chapters too because for one I just graduated 2 years ago. And I have also seen this happen in my chapter, but I have seen people not go through it and be seen as not being real only to be needed and everyone get's over it and accepts everyone and come together for the one common cause to make Alpha even greater than what it already is.

+1

My opinion...

There are several ways to haze without doing anything stupid like beating someone senseless. The street gang mentality has infiltrate our organizations. If it keeps up, we will haze our way out of existance and relevance.

My opinion...

There are several ways to haze without doing anything stupid like beating someone senseless. The street gang mentality has infiltrate our organizations. If it keeps up, we will haze our way out of existance and relevance.

If I've said that ^^^ once KB, I've said it a million times! It ain't just the street gang mentality that has infiltrated, it is MEMBERS of the street gangs themselves, and once they get in, they bring in one or two more...and so on....and so on....and so on! :smh:

If I've said that ^^^ once KB, I've said it a million times! It ain't just the street gang mentality that has infiltrated, it is MEMBERS of the street gangs themselves, and once they get in, they bring in one or two more...and so on....and so on....and so on! :smh:
Rubbish.

I have been Greek for 27 years and people have been getting BEASTED since way back in the day -- long before "Street Gang Members" got into our organizations.

The difference is that BITD, hazing wasn't against the law, therefore:

1) Nobody reported it so it stayed on the low.

2) When it was visible people accepted it as "that's just what those Greeks do."

3) In many cases, the university administration members who oversaw these matters were Greek as well -- and they had a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" attitude about it. (Remember - back then, it wasn't illegal so nobody was in danger of losing their job or personal possessions behind this.)

4) When things got TOO out of hand, the pledge processes was quietly stopped and the line was simply initiated (back then, we called it being "read in.")

Do not get it twisted -- severe hazing is not new -- it's simply way more on the world's radar screen these days.

I have been Greek for 23 years, and the kind of bullschit that we see going on with too many of these folks today is in no way like anything I witnessed before! I never even IMAGINED in my wildest dreams that I (nor anyone else that was pledging with me,) would ever have to endure the kinds of brutality being perpetrated by these fools today!!

Hell, hardly a week goes by where we don't read in the news, or see on televison another case where some fraternity members have decided that they need to beat the hell out of someone to the point where they are hospitalized in comas, or have been beaten so badly with wood that they require skin grafts to keep their @sses from falling apart!! There is a different element of students on our campuses today that were not attending college 20-25 years ago. The gangs are coming to college, and they are joining fraternities. And those who aren't in gangs are busy trying to portray themselves as "gangstas." The thug element has definitely had an influence.....a NEGATIVE one!!

This isht is on a totally different level than ANYTHING that has come before it!

Rubbish.

I have been Greek for 27 years and people have been getting BEASTED since way back in the day -- long before "Street Gang Members" got into our organizations.

The difference is that BITD, hazing wasn't against the law, therefore:

1) Nobody reported it so it stayed on the low.

2) When it was visible people accepted it as "that's just what those Greeks do."

3) In many cases, the university administration members who oversaw these matters were Greek as well -- and they had a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" attitude about it. (Remember - back then, it wasn't illegal so nobody was in danger of losing their job or personal possessions behind this.)

4) When things got TOO out of hand, the pledge processes was quietly stopped and the line was simply initiated (back then, we called it being "read in.")

Do not get it twisted -- severe hazing is not new -- it's simply way more on the world's radar screen these days.
This is the best statement made about this topic, I could agree with you more. Because MY dad told me about things that happened back in the day when he was in school and how bad people got did. I personally know someone that was thrown out a window while pledging at JState.

I have been Greek for 23 years, and the kind of bullschit that we see going on with too many of these folks today is in no way like anything I witnessed before! I never even IMAGINED in my wildest dreams that I (nor anyone else that was pledging with me,) would ever have to endure the kinds of brutality being perpetrated by these fools today!!

Hell, hardly a week goes by where we don't read in the news, or see on televison another case where some fraternity members have decided that they need to beat the hell out of someone to the point where they are hospitalized in comas, or have been beaten so badly with wood that they require skin grafts to keep their @sses from falling apart!! There is a different element of students on our campuses today that were not attending college 20-25 years ago. The gangs are coming to college, and they are joining fraternities. And those who aren't in gangs are busy trying to portray themselves as "gangstas." The thug element has definitely had an influence.....a NEGATIVE one!!

This isht is on a totally different level than ANYTHING that has come before it!

Come on you can't be for real!!!!!!!

Back