Op Ed: HBCU Alums that are T-shirt wearers

I wonder what role of folks graduating with a bunch of student loan debt plays in the lack of giving? Some may feel resentment in giving just based on that alone.

It plays a huge role. People who graduated from college in the 60s-80s have no earthly idea what a $600 a month student loan repayment bill even looks like.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
It's simple, black college graduates are paid less and have more student debt than their white counterparts ON AVERAGE. Most of us can't give back to our HBCUs in the same manner.

Also black people are more likely to have more children than white people on average so that's less money to spend right there.

Nope as that’s why this generation is the way it is now cause they have access to too much too soon.

Colleges have conceeded more to the student now and it shows.

Why is access a bad thing? Please explain this to me.

Black folks are the ONLY people who dont want progress for our young people. Yesterday's struggle is not supposed to endure generation after generation.

Whites, Asians, etc fight daily for their kids to have a better lot in life than they did, but we play the "I struggled so YOU should struggle too" game, then BLAME THE KIDS for drowning in the river we pushed them into...

those other races have/had a head start so they know the "basics". Alot of asian kids grew up working in a family-owned business where parents may have struggled but they were working at a young age. Saw it in my neighborhood where I grew up. Other races have overseas capital to pull from.

Alot of us never got the basics or were taught right but we're supposed to quickly bump the next generation or move up? Especially in professions where there are social promotions such as athletics where the 'who you know' system is alive and well and it shows when you bump folks who have not learned the right way and understand the basics.

Why is access a bad thing? Please explain this to me.

Black folks are the ONLY people who dont want progress for our young people. Yesterday's struggle is not supposed to endure generation after generation.

Whites, Asians, etc fight daily for their kids to have a better lot in life than they did, but we play the "I struggled so YOU should struggle too" game, then BLAME THE KIDS for drowning in the river we pushed them into...

those other races have/had a head start so they know the "basics". Alot of asian kids grew up working in a family-owned business where parents may have struggled but they were working at a young age. Saw it in my neighborhood where I grew up. Other races have overseas capital to pull from.

Alot of us never got the basics or were taught right but we're supposed to quickly bump the next generation or move up? Especially in professions where there are social promotions such as athletics where the 'who you know' system is alive and well and it shows when you bump folks who have not learned the right way and understand the basics.

So because a prior generation went without, the next generation has to as well?

Shouldn't the previous generation impart wisdom so their successors don't deal with the same struggles and pitfalls?

So because a prior generation went without, the next generation has to as well?

Shouldn't the previous generation impart wisdom so their successors don't deal with the same struggles and pitfalls?

what wisdom if they never gained any? youth today want to start making money overnight so you want me to entrust my organization to someone who doesn't want to train properly?

what wisdom if they never gained any? youth today want to start making money overnight so you want me to entrust my organization to someone who doesn't want to train properly?

Most people gain some level of wisdom with experience and age.

Understand this...If elders fail to gain any wisdom or fail to impart what they gained, thats not the fault of the next generation. The youth are a collective sum total of their upbringing.

At some point, black folk have to claim ownership of prior missteps that we had control of avoiding. Yes, slavery did a number on us, but dammit, some of todays problems were OUR fault.

Most people gain some level of wisdom with experience and age.

Understand this...If elders fail to gain any wisdom or fail to impart what they gained, thats not the fault of the next generation. The youth are a collective sum total of their upbringing.

At some point, black folk have to claim ownership of prior missteps that we had control of avoiding. Yes, slavery did a number on us, but dammit, some of todays problems were OUR fault.

this generation has everything within their fingertips in terms of access to information. If you choose not to take advantage and enter the workforce unprepared that's their decision. History says the unprepared won't make it but in reality they should not be unprepared.

We talk about coaches and ADs all the time needing to work their way up and we see the results when most, not all, get big gigs and mess up due to lack of preparation or lack of "knowing" the environment their in,

It's simple, black college graduates are paid less and have more student debt than their white counterparts ON AVERAGE. Most of us can't give back to our HBCUs in the same manner.

Also black people are more likely to have more children than white people on average so that's less money to spend right there.

You know, I am in student loan debt up to my ears BUT I've still given back to A&T.

To me, it's about priorities and schools need to continue working in getting their students to prioritize giving. At then of the day, they got to sell themselves, right?

You know, I am in student loan debt up to my ears BUT I've still given back to A&T.

To me, it's about priorities and schools need to continue working in getting their students to prioritize giving. At then of the day, they got to sell themselves, right?
Just like tithing. If you are taught to tithe as a child you will as an adult. If not taught as a child somewhere along the way someone convinced you to tithe. No different with giving to your alma mater.

As a young alumni, I totally agree with you. It's about priorities. If a person really wants to give back they will. For example, why not give up eating out a few nights a month or make your coffee at home? That's easily a $50 gift. Now I'm a little late to the convo, but this was actually part of my dissertation research. In the findings, it didn't matter how much discretionary income a person had at the end of the month. The three key indicators of whether a person gave back to their alma mater was 1) Were they giving to another organization (i.e. tithing at church, etc.); 2) How often the institution asked them to give; and 3) How was their overall experience at their alma mater

Folks who didn't give back still had monthly discretionary income, they just claimed they were never asked to give and/or they had a bad experience. Of course the study was done at only two HBCUs, but still the idea that the primary reasons black people don't give is because we don't have the income is a bit short-sided. The problem is we don't make giving back a priority (im not talking about people who are living paycheck to paycheck). We tend to have a consumer mindset. Heck if black America was it's own country we would have the 15th largest economy based on our spending. So if we get out of the mindset of accumulating stuff that holds little to no value and defeat "selfism", we could give back to HBCUs and other pillars of the black community.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Well, I know this is only a small amount, but how about those special license plates? You know, the license plates with the school's mascot/logo on them. Its a once a year amount that's added to your vehicle registration renewal fee. Its really not expensive at all. (if the special license plates are available for your school) Like I said, its a small amount, but hell, every little bit helps.

Well, I know this is only a small amount, but how about those special license plates? You know, the license plates with the school's mascot/logo on them. Its a once a year amount that's added to your vehicle registration renewal fee. Its really not expensive at all. (if the special license plates are available for your school) Like I said, its a small amount, but hell, every little bit helps.

I don't know about other states but usually here in Mississippi, those specialty plates used have that money designated for specific causes

For example, since there is only one Valley plate (for now), that money goes to a specific designated cause. Valley has no problem selling the minimum for that one plate to keep it in production. Going to a second might be a challenge but since Mississippi has a higher percentage of black people than any other state (38%), it could be done (in the Delta, it's around 70%) it's possible especially if it can appeal to those non-Valley alums

300 tags (the minimum required by law to pass a bill to create the tag) times $40 = $12,000 (the $40 does not include the price of the tag)

I don't know about other states but usually here in Mississippi, those specialty plates used have that money designated for specific causes

For example, since there is only one Valley plate (for now), that money goes to a specific designated cause. Valley has no problem selling the minimum for that one plate to keep it in production. Going to a second might be a challenge but since Mississippi has a higher percentage of black people than any other state (38%), it could be done (in the Delta, it's around 70%) it's possible especially if it can appeal to those non-Valley alums

300 tags (the minimum required by law to pass a bill to create the tag) times $40 = $12,000 (the $40 does not include the price of the tag)

Oh. Ok. Thanks for sharing that. I figured it would vary from state to state. I think those plates are good public relations.

Black people have no collective or individual wealth. Most of the real black wealth belongs to black baby boomers And we're asking a small percentage of college graduates (from pool of black people attending HBCUs that's around 10 percent) to financially support schools.

And I know a lot of people like to make the comparison of giving back to a school versus giving to church. But tithing is something promoted as 1) a moral obligation and 2) as an activity where you will be personally rewarded for it.

In order to get folks to give, schools -- like churches and other entities -- have to emphasis how doing so will impact them in some way. As we all know, people spend money based on how they think it will benefit them.

Your husband really got a winner! He better wake up and be thankful every day!

As a young alumni, I totally agree with you. It's about priorities. If a person really wants to give back they will. For example, why not give up eating out a few nights a month or make your coffee at home? That's easily a $50 gift. Now I'm a little late to the convo, but this was actually part of my dissertation research. In the findings, it didn't matter how much discretionary income a person had at the end of the month. The three key indicators of whether a person gave back to their alma mater was 1) Were they giving to another organization (i.e. tithing at church, etc.); 2) How often the institution asked them to give; and 3) How was their overall experience at their alma mater

Folks who didn't give back still had monthly discretionary income, they just claimed they were never asked to give and/or they had a bad experience. Of course the study was done at only two HBCUs, but still the idea that the primary reasons black people don't give is because we don't have the income is a bit short-sided. The problem is we don't make giving back a priority (im not talking about people who are living paycheck to paycheck). We tend to have a consumer mindset. Heck if black America was it's own country we would have the 15th largest economy based on our spending. So if we get out of the mindset of accumulating stuff that holds little to no value and defeat "selfism", we could give back to HBCUs and other pillars of the black community.

People who say that they don't have the income to give are full of shat. I know PV gives you options for weekly/monthly recurring gifts for as little as $10. Thats $520 a year. You are not gonna convince me that employed college graduates would even notice $10 coming out of their account every week.

Back