Op Ed: HBCU Alums that are T-shirt wearers

In_The_662

Deeeeep In The Delta.....
I've said this for a while that HBCU alums that don't give back but complain about their HBCU every chance are "T-shirt wearers"

A Large Percentage of HBCU Graduates are “Shirt wearers” of their institutions.

A good friend of mine, co-alum (and now Frat brother) posed a question on Facebook recently asking “What Are Some Things Unique to the HBCU Experience?” Let me start by saying the majority of the responses were great, meaningful and lighthearted. But the following responses prompted this piece:

Dealing With Financial Aid
Student Loan acceptance
No guidance.

Well let’s break this down. I’ve attended 2 HBCUs as well as been employed by 2 PWIs. Financial Aid problems occur everywhere, and you can’t blame the school for not doing your FAFSA correctly. Same goes for Student Loan issues overall. And finally, closed mouths don’t get fed. Guidance doesn’t seek out those who need it, those who need it should have sought guidance. But moreover:

If you are the graduate of an HBCU and when asked about what made your experience unique and the first thing you utter out of your mouth is negative in fashion, I think it is fair at this point to refer to you as a “Shirt wearer” of your alma mater.

https://medium.com/@PriceOfSoul/op-...ho-only-care-when-its-convenient-10d357cc9cc6

what about the blacks that attended those schools? they seem to go silent about negative issues there and will only rep their schools when HBCU grads show up.

Well, to anyone who knows me, that is not a problem I have. Now, I cannot speak for anyone else.

The difference in our schools and PWI's, they seem to always give back and be involved. Our folks on the other hand......well you know.

We don't have the numbers as far as degree carrying alums so we can't afford to have a big number of disgruntled alums who don't give back for whatever reason (Valley doesn't even have 25,000 living degree carrying alums)

That horrible financial aid line, the lackluster computers, the air going out in the buildings, and other problems enabled me to deal with life. That to me is the best thing Grambling State did for me was add on to the tools my parents gave me to deal with life. Life isn't easy.

I had some damn good professor's in Political Science. I had one who defected from China to the U.S. by parachuting out of his jet. Another from Iraq who worked at the United Nations and left their embassy and never returned. Another one from Uganda who was Lango and would discuss his political feelings. Then the two black female professors who truly kept the political climate real.

Heck I graduated from high school on a Monday and the following Monday I had a job as a student worker on campus.

See these kids at white schools they don't have the struggles that we have nor the experiences. Heck I know black kids that attend the University of Arkansas and speak HORRIBLY of UAPB. Yet, I noticed once both schools had their homecomings on the same weekend. Those black kids were in Pine Bluff.

Lol

Very simple and black ppl and our ppl at these HBCU institutions don't get it.

How many of our graduates are out here making 6 figure salaries? compared to those cacs or other groups that are making 6 figures when they get out of school?

A graduate from SU, TXSU won't start really making money until they are 7-10 years in the game. 33k-45k (if that) isn't no money, Most of those that graduate from HBCUs have a hard time finding a dayum job, and most are working in call centers, Home Depot, Lowes or other BS jobs just to get by, so how the hell are they suppose to give back??? Explain this?

When you graduate from a HBCU, you don't walk into a 6 figure job salary. You can't afford to give back, when you have student loans coming outta the ass at you, when you gotta pay bills, you just bringing home enough just to make it by. So a T-shirt, a ticket to the game, something is better than nothing.

How many black graduates from HBCUs that's 24-35 year olds are making 6 figures?? How many cacs that are 24-35 year old that making 6 figures when they graduate, if not 6 figures, close to it?

Hell there are black ppl right now that's 40 and over that are not making 6 figures and they are living pay check to pay check just to get by Lol.

So when you peel back the layers, you'll understand why it's hard for black alums that came outta the HBCU world is having a hard time to give back.

2018 class that's coming out this Spring from SU,

2018 class that's coming out this Spring from LSU

LSU - those cacs, non-blacks, students that will walk across the stage, how many do you think are walking into a job that will pay them 50k-100k

SU - the black students that will walk across the stage, how many do you think are walking into a job that will pay them 50k-100k, how many do you think are walking into a call center, Home Depot, Lowes job?

I will say, more students (non-black) will have a better opportunity to walk into a 50k-100k salary than the students at SU. And this is just LSU, let's not add in all the rest of the PWIs, Texas, Rice, and other PWIs

Ppl gotta be real, it's just aint black students that come from HBCUs don't want to give back, hell most can't give back.

Lol

Very simple and black ppl and our ppl at these HBCU institutions don't get it.

How many of our graduates are out here making 6 figure salaries? compared to those cacs or other groups that are making 6 figures when they get out of school?

A graduate from SU, TXSU won't start really making money until they are 7-10 years in the game. 33k-45k (if that) isn't no money, Most of those that graduate from HBCUs have a hard time finding a dayum job, and most are working in call centers, Home Depot, Lowes or other BS jobs just to get by, so how the hell are they suppose to give back??? Explain this?

When you graduate from a HBCU, you don't walk into a 6 figure job salary. You can't afford to give back, when you have student loans coming outta the ass at you, when you gotta pay bills, you just bringing home enough just to make it by. So a T-shirt, a ticket to the game, something is better than nothing.

How many black graduates from HBCUs that's 24-35 year olds are making 6 figures?? How many cacs that are 24-35 year old that making 6 figures when they graduate, if not 6 figures, close to it?

Hell there are black ppl right now that's 40 and over that are not making 6 figures and they are living pay check to pay check just to get by Lol.

So when you peel back the layers, you'll understand why it's hard for black alums that came outta the HBCU world is having a hard time to give back.

I used to think that but alot of times its perceptions in terms of starting salaries. In my profession, where we're the minority by a big margin, the non-blacks go after the same jobs but after doing research their not getting paid no better than the next man but in some cases, they land in an environment that paints the picture their getting paid more as they don't complain about some things like us.

If your an education major, your going to make one flat salary to begin with bottom line. The difference is you may have to the earn that money at a Title 1 school while your counterpart is at a suburban school with motivated students and more resources so their workload is somewhat lighter.

Don't let some HBCU employees fool you either. They are making way more than our PWC counterparts and living well off the land but that employee won't be the one beating the drum unfortunately to let folks know about that.

Go to any happy hour in a major black city, HBCU grads have no problem drinking away and splurging for what they want when they want it. We're not asking for $1,000 a month, $100 a month is good.

I used to think that but alot of times its perceptions in terms of starting salaries. In my profession, where we're the minority by a big margin, the non-blacks go after the same jobs but after doing research their not getting paid no better than the next man but in some cases, they land in an environment that paints the picture their getting paid more as they don't complain about some things like us.

If your an education major, your going to make one flat salary to begin with bottom line. The difference is you may have to the earn that money at a Title 1 school while your counterpart is at a suburban school with motivated students and more resources so their workload is somewhat lighter.

Don't let some HBCU employees fool you either. They are making way more than our PWC counterparts and living well off the land but that employee won't be the one beating the drum unfortunately to let folks know about that.

Go to any happy hour in a major black city, HBCU grads have no problem drinking away and splurging for what they want when they want it. We're not asking for $1,000 a month, $100 a month is good.

I tell my frat brothers at homecoming....you come with the drinks etc....instead of buying $200 worth of liquor write a check to the school. We spend money on what we want to spend money on...it's real easy to give back.

I have to disagree with you on this here

The reason being, that non-black may start off in a Tier 1 position, but how long will that non-black remain there?

How many companies are run by black ppl?

Going to happy hour is something social, that's like saying black ppl can't drink nor go to the movies, nor throw b-day parties etc.

The difference with that, blacks don't have any 'extra' money to allocate to their HBCU, where's PWIs alums in their late 20s mid 30s have that type of income to be able to give back.

Starting off, the non-black and black person may be in the same position at 24, but check back on this when both reach 28, 32, 36, and then compare incomes and then let's talk

I tell my frat brothers at homecoming....you come with the drinks etc....instead of buying $200 worth of liquor write a check to the school. We spend money on what we want to spend money on...it's real easy to give back.

I understand what you're saying but if 200 bucks is something for your frat to have a good time, he's going to go with that move, and plus how many times your frat is spending 200 bucks in a month on drinks, (just for HC, I'm assuming) so you're asking this man to push out 200 bucks every month to give back?

Also we gotta be real, when PWIs alums give back, write 6-7 figure checks, sh1t gets done, you see buildings popping up, you see new tar on streets, street lines, lights, you see new dorms being built, you see student life more easier, online registrations, amenities for students and teachers. You see your money being put into action.

You see the beautification of their campus. Brand new buses, etc. Bike lanes, Bike setups, Brand new apartment complexes, off-campus satellites

You see these things when the checks are made out to these PWIs schools, You see technology being implemented at its highest peak when checks are being cut.

You see alums that own these big time restaurants or have family members or friends that attended these PWIs, setup a Fat Burger, A Karoke spot, 5 Guys, Putt Put and Drinks establishment near or on these campuses. You see these things when checks are being cut and donated to these PWIs

Creating more money to flow into the PWI, you build businesses to attract more businesses and things which attracts more ppl

We cut a check at our school, and we are like, (we'll me), "I hope they do what they say they gonna do with it" like nah. We need to see tangible things being done.

I understand what you're saying but if 200 bucks is something for your frat to have a good time, he's going to go with that move, and plus how many times your frat is spending 200 bucks in a month on drinks, (just for HC, I'm assuming) so you're asking this man to push out 200 bucks every month to give back?

Also we gotta be real, when PWIs alums give back, write 6-7 figure checks, sh1t gets done, you see buildings popping up, you see new tar on streets, street lines, lights, you see new dorms being built, you see student life more easier, online registrations, amenities for students and teachers. You see your money being put into action.

You see the beautification of their campus. Brand new buses, etc. Bike lanes, Bike setups, Brand new apartment complexes, off-campus satellites

You see these things when the checks are made out to these PWIs schools, You see technology being implemented at its highest peak when checks are being cut.

You see alums that own these big time restaurants or have family members or friends that attended these PWIs, setup a Fat Burger, A Karoke spot, 5 Guys, Putt Put and Drinks establishment near or on these campuses. You see these things when checks are being cut and donated to these PWIs

Creating more money to flow into the PWI, you build businesses to attract more businesses and things which attracts more ppl

We cut a check at our school, and we are like, (we'll me), "I hope they do what they say they gonna do with it" like nah. We need to see tangible things being done.

but it aint the young folks writing checks. The major boosters are grey haired guys. But "we" spend what we want to spend on. We just don't prioritize donations back to the alma maters.

There are several HBCUs on the cutting-edge technology wise and in terms of looks, better than plenty of PWC campuses.

but it aint the young folks writing checks. The major boosters are grey haired guys. But "we" spend what we want to spend on. We just don't prioritize donations back to the alma maters.

There are several HBCUs on the cutting-edge technology wise and in terms of looks, better than plenty of PWC campuses.

Ok,

The grey haired guys are cutting checks, where are their kids, grand-kids, their friends kids, their friends co-workers, they are cutting checks too.

Grey haired guys are cutting checks, (Grand-parent) Do you think the sons and daughters of these gray-haired guys are working in call centers??

How many grey haired guys are cutting checks at our HBCUs? and what are their sons and daughters doing?

Black kids are not out here making 75k-250k like that.

Please google the average income of a black home vs one of a cac home and you'll get your answer to why we can't give back.

Look at our unemployment rate. Look at where we work.

Again, how many blacks (that came from a HBCU) that you know are making 100k or better that's under 35 in 2018, I bet it ain't over 10

Ok,

The grey haired guys are cutting checks, where are their kids, grand-kids, their friends kids, their friends co-workers, they are cutting checks too.

Grey haired guys are cutting checks, (Grand-parent) Do you think the sons and daughters of these gray-haired guys are working in call centers??

How many grey haired guys are cutting checks at our HBCUs? and what are their sons and daughters doing?

Their sons and daughters most likely went to PWCs the most of em. Sad but true.

The reality is we could be doing more ourselves, and it wouldn’t be hard.

Min. Farrakhan proposed an old plan where all working Blacks would contribute 10 cents a day for a year. When he broke it down the numbers were staggering. I’m talking multi-millions annually. Of course being that the plan came from the NOI most of us will immediately disregard it, but it was the best plan I’d ever heard to start realistically trying to tackle some of our economic issues.

HBCU alumns, current students and even Blacks who have no affiliation with our schools other than recognizing their importance could do something similar - contribute 10 cents a day to an annual fund that would be used to help our schools. I don’t know what the numbers would look like there but I’d imagine it would be pretty substantial.

Min. Farrakhan proposed an old plan where all working Blacks would contribute 10 cents a day for a year. When he broke it down the numbers were staggering. I’m talking multi-millions annually. Of course being that the plan came from the NOI most of us will immediately disregard it, but it was the best plan I’d ever heard to start realistically trying to tackle some of our economic issues.

HBCU alumns, current students and even Blacks who have no affiliation with our schools other than recognizing their importance could do something similar - contribute 10 cents a day to an annual fund that would be used to help our schools. I don’t know what the numbers would look like there but I’d imagine it would be pretty substantial.

Oh, I know where their sons and daughters are going to and I also know they asses aint working in no call center, Home Depot, nor a Lowes.

I agree, if we contribute money, (which some do) it's the responsibility for the university and members to do things to enhance the university.

I am not disagreeing with you, but I also want to put some responsibility on the university, if they create plans, (some may have them) and are on some "We want to build 2 new dorms in 2019 for the back part of campus, or off-site campus, they could do it. Rent could circulate back into the pot, but we don't understand how money works, we do but we don't.

Bringing in businesses for your students, a part of the student's tuition could be used to be build things. Like it doesn't take much, we think we got to see a 6-7 figure check for us to do something or build something, when in fact, pulling 5 dollars from a student's fees out of body of 5,000 students, that's 25k (2 semester = 50k), and other donations that you get could build those 2 new dorms (off-campus) and you can start collecting rent to create that stream of revenue. We create no stream of revenue at our schools.

I have a friend who went to University of Alabama that gives more money to AAMU then half the alums I know. His parents attended AAMU so he supports the school. On the other hand I know AAMU grads who will buy Alabama and Auburn tickets and gear before AAMU.

In my experience, the ones you see splurging at the bar and in VIP are the same ones giving back. The ones barely making it that can't afford to give are at work or going to their second job. Not saying you're wrong, but that's just been my observation so I have to disagree as well.

Oh, I know where their sons and daughters are going to and I also know they asses aint working in no call center, Home Depot, nor a Lowes.

I agree, if we contribute money, (which some do) it's the responsibility for the university and members to do things to enhance the university.

Over a year ago, I told y'all about my days at Blue Cross Blue Shield in MS. White kids with degrees got jobs as Analysts, which started at $38K. Black kids with degrees were sent to the call center which started at $26K. And when I say Black graduates, I mean JSU, Alcorn and Valley as well as Southern Miss and MS State. The white grads came from USM and State, but also MS College and Belhaven, who didn't even have accredited schools of business at that time.

Furthermore, I said the Analyst role "started" at $38K. However, those newly graduated white workers were brought in north of $40K. Black employees who were promoted to Analysts after years of working their tails off were given the $38K. So even in the same role, we still made less than our White counterparts....assuming they had not been promoted to being your boss in the same time frame. Because they also got promoted faster.

Now that was just at one employer. So just imagine the income disparity between a graduating class at a PWI and a graduating class at an HBCU. Over a 20-year period, you're talking millions of dollars of disparity. And we haven't even touched on the generational wealth that they have access to while we don't.

So the state of the HBCU represents the state of Black America as far as I'm concerned. And, yes, the institutions themselves need to be held accountable. Be more transparent. Be more intentional with your gifts. Be more creative in how you go about fundraising. I have to say I'm proud of what JSU did last week with its annual day of giving. The University raised over $100K in a 24-hr period (OK, a 48-hr period LOL). So I know it can be done.

They can give $100/yr (less than $20.00/mo). That is the part we don't get. You don't have to be able to give 4, 5, 6 or 7 figures. As they say in church...give as you are able.

Can you imagine 1,000 people giving $100/yr EVERY year? That $100,000 grand would go a long way helping with financial aid.

Someone said Valley had less than 25,000 degreed alums. 25,000 x $100.00 = 2.5 million/yr. Even if they only have 5,000 alums with degrees that is $500,000/yr from the alumni...that can go a long way.

Last edited:
Black kids are not out here making 75k-250k like that.

Please google the average income of a black home vs one of a cac home and you'll get your answer to why we can't give back.

Look at our unemployment rate. Look at where we work.

Again, how many blacks (that came from a HBCU) that you know are making 100k or better that's under 35 in 2018, I bet it ain't over 10
Don't let stats fool you. It is not how much you are making...it is how much do you care about the university you attended. My oldest graduated from SHSU (arghhhhhhhhhh) and she has not looked back since she left the campus.

And where did Farrakhan's grandson go to school?

I have seen the NOI working up close and personal. Please do not get me started.

Back