Online University / Coursework

I just finished my Masters at Texas Southern and my last semester I took 1 internet class and one face to face class. I can tell you I absolutely disliked the internet course compared to face-to-face because I was to the point where I just wanted to be finished with my degree.
I had to spend a lot more time preparing for the internet class because we were involved in daily discussions on top of massive papers being required every friday. My main problem was I didn't like going through and reading everyone comments during the discussion before I could make mines.

I can tell you that I did get challenged mentally just as much or maybe even during the internet class. Its for some people and I'm one of those who its definitly not for.

I did an online professional development course this year. It took a lot of reading and re-reading. That class was as difficult as any of my graduate courses minus the fact I did not have a "big" paper at the end of the term. The project was a lesson plan. (oh lawd) I do three of those a week anyway.. Cook up one more for a grade? Why not.

Was your online professional development course through the MS Dept. of Education?

I have started my MBA with Regis University online so many times....I had a great average until this year. It is difficult enough, but when you have other stresses and things that demand your attention, you can not do as well. You MUST remain focused.

I gave up on my MBA for now. I don't believe it is for me to get. Everytime I start something else goes haywire.

So for now I won't be getting one, but I do believe it is well worth it if you can discipline yourself and if you do not have outside forces pulling at you. You have to be determined. It takes up a LOT of time!

........I just thought of something while I was reviewing some of the online classes with U of Phoenix.

Ey, so what happens if I miss a class....errr an online discussion or whatever? I mean isht happens. I might be hungover, tired from a long road trip, etc.;ya know just don't feel like it. Is there a roll call? Are you penalized for missing a session?

Just curious cause again, I know how I am....aint nuthin changed lol!

"Snake"

........I just thought of something while I was reviewing some of the online classes with U of Phoenix.

Ey, so what happens if I miss a class....errr an online discussion or whatever? I mean isht happens. I might be hungover, tired from a long road trip, etc.;ya know just don't feel like it. Is there a roll call? Are you penalized for missing a session?

"Snake"

The consequences for missing an online discussion or assignment will depend on what is stated in the course syllabus. Generally, discussion is a part of your participation grade (which can be significant in an online course).

"Snake"

The consequences for missing an online discussion or assignment will depend on what is stated in the course syllabus. Generally, discussion is a part of your participation grade (which can be significant in an online course).

Snake, the consequences for missing an online assignment carries harsh penalties. Like Silentrage said, your participation grade is a substantial part of an online course. Like many others on TSPN have stated, the myth that online courses are easier than the traditional course setting is completely false. Discipline is a must! Tell the girlfriend to go home and tell the Bruhs you'll be "out of pocket" for a while. I earned my MBA online through U of Phoenix. My course load was a little heavier because of my concentration in Technology Management. Trust me, the online program is no punk. If I had to do it again, I would prefer to go to the "traditional" classroom because the workload is easier. For the most part they have one assignment per week. Online courses have two assignments plus participation which requires 4-5 "substantive" posts, 4 out of 7 seven days.

"Snake"

Snake, you can do it. :tup:

"Snake"

You'll be alright. If you're sick/drunk one day do it the next. You have all day to do it so you may recover in time to do the work anyway.

I'm in the process of getting my B.S. in Paralegal studies, with Virginia College Online, I have been doing this since April of last year, to me its a lot of fun, and that could be that I have worked as a legal secretary before and the courses are a piece of cake...the classes go from Friday thru Thursday..by Monday 11:59 you have to answer the initial discussion question and by 11:59 Thursday you have to have answer to 2 classmates and have all other assignments done. So far I have been on the dean's list until this last quarter, during football season I try to take easy courses, so that way I want have to do too much reading..I am having a lot of fun with this.

I'm in the process of getting my B.S. in Paralegal studies, with Virginia College Online, I have been doing this since April of last year, to me its a lot of fun, and that could be that I have worked as a legal secretary before and the courses are a piece of cake...the classes go from Friday thru Thursday..by Monday 11:59 you have to answer the initial discussion question and by 11:59 Thursday you have to have answer to 2 classmates and have all other assignments done. So far I have been on the dean's list until this last quarter, during football season I try to take easy courses, so that way I want have to do too much reading..I am having a lot of fun with this.
:swink: :read:

Any of you ever took any online courses? Did you finish? Did you graduate from a Online University? How was it? Would you reccommend it for someone? Is it time consuming? Would you rather a traditional University/ Classroom setting? Do Employers honor them compared to a traditional on campus degree?
I too, am considering. Funding and the laptop?

I jus visited my first day of Orientation today for U of PHOX online. It was fun, I didnt meet, but you had to do something called "Getting Aquainted" which meant to post a brief introduction of and about yourself. That was fun and you had to post to a few questions. I liked it so far...

I jus visited my first day of Orientation today for U of PHOX online. It was fun, I didnt meet, but you had to do something called "Getting Aquainted" which meant to post a brief introduction of and about yourself. That was fun and you had to post to a few questions. I liked it so far...

Cool, that's how it will be in the rest of your classes when the class first starts.

Back