Online University / Coursework

SIR_GRAM

Legend
Any of you ever took any online courses? Did you finish? Did you graduate from a Online University? How was it? Would you reccommend it for someone? Is it time consuming? Would you rather a traditional University/ Classroom setting? Do Employers honor them compared to a traditional on campus degree?

Yes to most of your questions. It is very time consuming and you definitely have to be self motivated and focused. I think it helped me a lot in the process, on top of getting the degree.

Many top employers pay for employees to take online courses, so many of them do honor them.... they are willing to spend their money on it.

Online courses are more time-consuming than face-to-face courses. You have to be self-motivated, and have the discipline to complete the assignments. Additionally, be ready to think differently about tasks that may involve group work.

Unfortunately, a lot of individuals think online courses are going to be easier than face-to-face courses. Most people are in for a rude awakening once they realize that they must do more. Additionally, the instructors are also fall for that same misconception. Overall, online coures are quite different from face-to-face courses.

Wow, so basically Online courses are are Harder than traditional campus courses.

And how time consuming?

I would'nt say harder you just have to discipline yourself...most online courses have set times when you need to be online and when to submit coursework...I am finishing my masters online and was told it would be a piece of cake in the beginning...I still cannot find the person who told me that...because it's going to be some smoke in the city!!:upset:

I would'nt say harder you just have to discipline yourself...most online courses have set times when you need to be online and when to submit coursework...I am finishing my masters online and was told it would be a piece of cake in the beginning...I still cannot find the person who told me that...because it's going to be some smoke in the city!!:upset:

Well thats what I plan on doing, begginning to pursue a Master's online within the next few months Online.

Wow, Ill have a Laptop I think by that time, and im dicipline to start on my work early.

Online courses are more time-consuming than face-to-face courses. You have to be self-motivated, and have the discipline to complete the assignments. Additionally, be ready to think differently about tasks that may involve group work.

Unfortunately, a lot of individuals think online courses are going to be easier than face-to-face courses. Most people are in for a rude awakening once they realize that they must do more. Additionally, the instructors are also fall for that same misconception. Overall, online coures are quite different from face-to-face courses.[/QUOTE]

True! I did the online MBA with the University of Phoenix some years ago and it was very time consuming. It was also tough because you had to work in groups with some people that didn't want to carry their share of the work-load. Overall, I liked the program.

Wow, so basically Online courses are are Harder than traditional campus courses.

And how time consuming?

I kept my laptop with me everywhere I went. I travel a bit with my job and many times I traveled with 2 laptops (work and personal). I'd work til 6 or 7 and be up til midnight doign school work in my hotel room, or at my mom's when going home to visit, or in my hotel room when on "vacation".

With U of Phoenix when online you have to participate in discussions. We were required to make detailed, educated comments 2 times a day for 4 days a week on top of answering the 2-3 discussion questions that some instructors required 200-400 words for. Also we'd have a paper or other project due weekly on top of that.

All told, I appreciate the work ethic it MADE me create.

And how time consuming?

Not harder, but difficult in a different way. Realize that online courses are purely textual. Just about all of your communication is done via text. The instructor as well as the students spend a lot of time reading and writing. That, in itself, takes more time.

Basically, online courses require a different mindset versus face-to-face courses.

....good thread. :tup:

I too have been contemplating on going back to school for a masters; preferably, the online courses.

How long did it take yall to complete your coursework and graduate? Or how long should it take?

"Snake"

I too have been contemplating on going back to school for a masters; preferably, the online courses.

How long did it take yall to complete your coursework and graduate? Or how long should it take?

"Snake"

It took me 2 and a half years to finish the Online MBA. That was only because I initially started at the University of Phoenix campus in Tucson, AZ and then ended up moving to Hunstville, AL. I had to take a few month off to get settled with the new job. I finally finished up once I moved to Maryland.
I think most online course are two years.

"Snake"

2 years for me. Don't getme wrong... it was much more convenient for me to do it the way I did instead of in a traditional classroom setting where I would have had to be in a class for 4 hours on a weeknight. I could spread it out and "go to class" at my own pace.

2 years for me. Don't getme wrong... it was much more convenient for me to do it the way I did instead of in a traditional classroom setting where I would have had to be in a class for 4 hours on a weeknight. I could spread it out and "go to class" at my own pace.

...shiid.

The way gas prices are these days, at home online is the better option for me. I can do it. Shiiid....I'm imagining right now, at home chillin' in class online, sippin on a "drank" doing my school work.

See...I'm already starting off wrong :lol:

But 2 years aint bad. Knowing me, add another year :lmao:

"Snake"

I just completed part two of a dual degree (Management/MBA) from the University of Maryland University College. It was very time consuming and more difficult than a face to face setting. You are part of study groups with people you never see, you have deadlines to meet, etc.

I received my MBA degree in the mail on yesterday. :tup:

I just completed part two of a dual degree (Management/MBA) from the University of Maryland University College. It was very time consuming and more difficult than a face to face setting. You are part of study groups with people you never see, you have deadlines to meet, etc.

Congrats! :gift:

True! I did the online MBA with the University of Phoenix some years ago and it was very time consuming. It was also tough because you had to work in groups with some people that didn't want to carry their share of the work-load. Overall, I liked the program.

I'm pursuing the same online University as well for there Master Of Science in Management. I'm halfway into the final parts of starting. I start on Aug. 19th
I'm nervous, I don't know what to do, Its Online and its new and I really don't know what to expect? :smh:

Ey

How often do you have class online? Everyday? M-W-F? T-Thur?

"Snake"

Depends. My instructors used to post questions on the first day of the school week (Sunday for me) and we would have to answer one by Tuesday, another by Wednesday and if there was a 3rd one it would be by Thursday. in the meantime we had to comment on the rest of the class's answers 4 days out of the week.

Basically you could have done every discussion question and commented by Wednesday if you wanted to just get your participation out of the way. It helped when your classmates posted early and often too.

'

:tup: Congrats lady!

Depends. My instructors used to post questions on the first day of the school week (Sunday for me) and we would have to answer one by Tuesday, another by Wednesday and if there was a 3rd one it would be by Thursday. in the meantime we had to comment on the rest of the class's answers 4 days out of the week.

Basically you could have done every discussion question and commented by Wednesday if you wanted to just get your participation out of the way. It helped when your classmates posted early and often too.

...oh okay.

Thanks for the insight folk.

Ey is your cell number still the same? I was going through my phone and purging numbers and ran across yours. Are the last 4 digits 4520?

"Snake"

Ey

How often do you have class online? Everyday? M-W-F? T-Thur?

"Snake"

To be honest, you have to check into the class daily....sometimes 2-3 times a day. Our assignments used to be due at 11:59pm on Sundays. We had to "participate" in the cyber discussions and even lead some of the discussions. I'm telling you, it's more involved than "face to face" classes but I enjoyed them because I worked at my pace....not to mention I am a procrastinator. :lmao:

To be honest, you have to check into the class daily....sometimes 2-3 times a day. Our assignments used to be due at 11:59pm on Sundays. We had to "participate" in the cyber discussions and even lead some of the discussions. I'm telling you, it's more involved than "face to face" classes but I enjoyed them because I worked at my pace....not to mention I am a procrastinator. :lmao:

....oh okay.

That procrastination is right up my alley. I'm one of them type folks that work best under pressure at the last minute :lol:

This is good info though, and congrads on that Masters :tup: I wanna be like you. :)

"Snake"

I did an online professional development course this year. It took a lot of reading and re-reading. That class was as difficult as any of my graduate courses minus the fact I did not have a "big" paper at the end of the term. The project was a lesson plan. (oh lawd) I do three of those a week anyway.. Cook up one more for a grade? Why not.

Back