Ocean Seriously lol

Dude, yall get those invites cause yall from a state with an NFL team and NBA team. That's it!! It's called PROXIMITY.
The Super Bowl's in New Orleans, so is the Sugar Bowl and so are NBA games.
That's the primary reason Grambling's invited.

Simply put, Grambling's an after thought when it comes to quality HBCU bands being talked about.
Heck, as a matter of fact, Grambling's not even in the top five in HBCU band ranking on a consistent basis from independent sources, and that's being modest.
Dude, yall get those invites cause yall from a state with an NFL team and NBA team. That's it!! It's called PROXIMITY.
The Super Bowl's in New Orleans, so is the Sugar Bowl and so are NBA games.
That's the primary reason Grambling's invited.

Simply put, Grambling's an after thought when it comes to quality HBCU bands being talked about.
Heck, as a matter of fact, Grambling's not even in the top five in HBCU band ranking on a consistent basis from independent sources, and that's being modest.

So L.A., Jacksonville, Seattle, Afirca, Japan, China, Pittsburg, New York, DC etc are proximity? ROTFL Lord lmao And for record most of the Superbowls Grambling has done has been out of state. This is why i hate debating with people who don't really know band history.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
So L.A., Jacksonville, Seattle, Afirca, Japan, China, Pittsburg, New York, DC etc are proximity? ROTFL Lord lmao And for record most of the Superbowls Grambling has done has been out of state. This is why i hate debating with people who don't really know band history.
Dude, you brought up the Super Bowl and NBA games and I told you why. That other stuff you talking about is over the last 40 years.
Now if you wanna get real, what's Gramblings national ranking band-wise over the last five years been?
Yall barely make the top five on a consistent basis. Nobody talks about your band dude. Nice invites, but that don't make a consistently all around good band.
Now, you'll get credit for being better this year, but yall still have a ways to go to catch up with the top bands on a consistent basis.

Dude, you brought up the Super Bowl and NBA games and I told you why. That other stuff you talking about is over the last 40 years.
Now if you wanna get real, what's Gramblings national ranking band-wise over the last five years been?
Yall barely make the top five on a consistent basis.
Nobody talks about your band dude. Nice invites, but that don't make a consistently all around good band.
Now, you'll get credit for being better this year, but yall still have a ways to go to catch up with the top bands on a consistent basis.

Whoomp! (There it is). Grambling just isn't known for precision marching or any musicality. I can give Grambling credit for one thing, they look good marching off the field.

I applaud your enshrinement into the NCAA Hall of Champions (that other band isn't there yet, you know who you are) and your legendary Band Director, Conrad Hutchinson. But, my question is, what has Grambing done lately on the marching band field at halftime that is newsworthy?

Last edited:
Grambling made the news for click it ticket this season. Shows have been great this season!! Folks cant bring up this season or last so theyre bringing up past STUFF GSU exceeded many expectations vs everyone they faced on the SWAC the question is this what other TOP bands have done a newsworthy show this season ? Field shows as a whole all around are just ok for all bands we see arrows, circles follow the leader diamonds no HBCU is going outside the box but ive seen some entertaining shows from a few bands in 2018 and GSU is one of those bands.

Tell us...other than this Petty little victory you made this thread out of... What exactly did the Ocean copy from other bands? Patterns in motion? Everyone does that. Marching style? Nope... That came from Prof Butler and students. Cadences? Nope...came from students and actual funk Drum players. Uniform? The first Ocean of Soul uniforms with capes, etc were student created. Typical "it looks maybe similar so it must be ours first because we don't know, exactly". Man sit down. gRambling is much improved. TSU doing that chant likely AINT GONE CHANGE. Go back and encourage that entire brass section to do lip slurs. All of the swac needs to do that CLEARLY besides JSU right now.

The "only" item that JSU band hasn't copied from anyone and it's 100% exclusive to them vs. other HBCU bands is the way they keep their percussion section on the side lines while the rest of the band is performing their opening drill. No one else was "Dumb" enough to do this Schyatt, so Y'all own it!!! LOL

Whoomp! (There it is). Grambling just isn't known for precision marching or any musicality. I can give Grambling credit for one thing, they look good marching off the field.

I applaud your enshrinement into the NCAA Hall of Champions (that other band isn't there yet, you know who you are) and your legendary Band Director, Conrad Hutchinson. But, my question is, what has Grambing done lately on the marching band field at halftime that is newsworthy?

Has someone actually seen the so called BAND SHRINE at the Hall of Champions. Folks I know can't find it anywhere when they visit? Was this only for Black History Month. However, you can go the Smithsonian and see an actual enshrinement of Dr. Isaac Greggs. Just saying.

Like I have always said. JSU is a great band. But their history and accomplishments do not out shadow Southern , Grambling or FAMU. Just doesn't. The invites tell the tale. Not polls that our fans decide. And that goes for the ones SU wins. It is what it is. Those 3 bands are legendary and I doubt any other band ever catch up to their accolades, invites or accomplishments. The fact that Doc was so well known is a testament of what SU Band accomplished. The great thing is they are still getting major invites. Super Bowls, Dolls are at their highest popularity ever, and now the most recent invite to the Rose Bowl Parade. I will not even talk about the 84 Olympics and SU band members participating and Doc helping with the closing ceremony for it. Folks just don't get it. SU has been on a world wide stage., As Doc would say. It's gone be alright.

Has someone actually seen the so called BAND SHRINE at the Hall of Champions. Folks I know can't find it anywhere when they visit? Was this only for Black History Month. However, you can go the Smithsonian and see an actual enshrinement of Dr. Isaac Greggs. Just saying.

Like I have always said. JSU is a great band. But their history and accomplishments do not out shadow Southern , Grambling or FAMU. Just doesn't. The invites tell the tale. Not polls that our fans decide. And that goes for the ones SU wins. It is what it is. Those 3 bands are legendary and I doubt any other band ever catch up to their accolades, invites or accomplishments. The fact that Doc was so well known is a testament of what SU Band accomplished. The great thing is they are still getting major invites. Super Bowls, Dolls are at their highest popularity ever, and now the most recent invite to the Rose Bowl Parade. I will not even talk about the 84 Olympics and SU band members participating and Doc helping with the closing ceremony for it. Folks just don't get it. SU has been on a world wide stage., As Doc would say. It's gone be alright.

You forgot some of the current band members performing last weekend at the Smithsonian.

You forgot some of the current band members performing last weekend at the Smithsonian.

Juke, we do so much it's too tiring to type all the stuff the Human Jukebox does as whole band or as group of members performing some where on the National Stage. But yet some think their history and present is better. As Doc Greggs always said. "It is better to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Hell the band was in Africa a few years back and the Caribbean as well. It was a reason ABC's Nightline did a special on Doc. Current Director Ked Taylor was in that special as a student. LOL. Doc received a NAACP Image Award. Has any of the other Directors gotten that one for leading their bands? SU Band is always going to have their director come out of his office and say, "I just got a call, they want you to perform ........." If you come through the Jukebox, you will hear that your entire 4 years. You will do more than just home football games and a few road trips. LOL.

Back