Non-Conference FCS Scheduling from the SWAC!

Basebone1898

I wanted to open a comment to my brutha @Blacknbengal in the closed Bama St-SU game thread in response to a comment he made about what’s been accepted in the SWAC, and how we have been accustomed to beating ourselves. I want to hear more opinions.

Response:
We get caught up into only seeing our own flaws sometimes due to our great historical history and former great expectations. There are plenty of G5 FBS programs that beat themselves yearly and showcase poor play. Also, there are a shhht load of garbage PWI FCS programs out there that are accustomed to beatings themselves on top of playing sloppy on Saturdays. The major problem with the SWAC is that we are too lazy to schedule smart vs beatable FCS programs and expose them. On top of that, we see more press than them, so it’s easier to bash our own sloppiness. Weak PWI FCS fans join the FBS world of bashing HBCU Football to keep their “Pretty Little Campus in the Woods” athletic program quiet.

If SWAC teams scheduled more home & home series vs teams like Colgate, we would see more positive days from our conference and press. Instead, we wait on FBS prostitution checks, and scheduling poorly vs FCS programs that are in the top 4 of their conference.

The G-Men of Grambling State would beat the hell out of Morehead State on the road or in Robinson Stadium. You let Missouri State go to PVAMU if they wanted to, but they would get Texas BBQ’d. I would pick Southern to pimp slap Georgetown at Mumford everyday and twice on Saturday. Let’s let Deion Sanders open up with East Tennessee State in Memorial on ESPN 2 next year so JSU can start the hyped 2021 fall season on the right foot by busting arse. Alcorn would drop no less that 28 on Western Carolina on the road and 42 at home if they dared to call McNair for a game. Alabama A&M would leave Presbyterian with a win. I believe Wagner would fumble and stumble at Alabama State. Although UAPB might struggle a bit, I would still pick them to beat Wagner on the road. Mississippi Valley wouldn’t be traveling back from Eastern Illinois or Valparaiso with the same performance or result we saw when they traveled to North Dakota State.

SWAC programs have to come together to start showing the College Football World that the SWAC can beat down other FCS conferences and programs. We fail in this area badly.

I will say that we tend to look totally unprepared when will play out of conference games. In the past some coaches even echoed that statement. However, I do feel that we now have better coaching overall in the conference. Better scheduling and better recruiting along the offensive and defensive lines could drastically change things. Bad coaching isn't just subjective to the Swac but we do tend to look worse than others when we do it.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I wanted to open a comment to my brutha @Blacknbengal in the closed Bama St-SU game thread in response to a comment he made about what’s been accepted in the SWAC, and how we have been accustomed to beating ourselves. I want to hear more opinions.

Response:
We get caught up into only seeing our own flaws sometimes due to our great historical history and former great expectations. There are plenty of G5 FBS programs that beat themselves yearly and showcase poor play. Also, there are a shhht load of garbage PWI FCS programs out there that are accustomed to beatings themselves on top of playing sloppy on Saturdays. The major problem with the SWAC is that we are too lazy to schedule smart vs beatable FCS programs and expose them. On top of that, we see more press than them, so it’s easier to bash our own sloppiness. Weak PWI FCS fans join the FBS world of bashing HBCU Football to keep their “Pretty Little Campus in the Woods” athletic program quiet.

If SWAC teams scheduled more home & home series vs teams like Colgate, we would see more positive days from our conference and press. Instead, we wait on FBS prostitution checks, and scheduling poorly vs FCS programs that are in the top 4 of their conference.

The G-Men of Grambling State would beat the hell out of Morehead State on the road or in Robinson Stadium. You let Missouri State go to PVAMU if they wanted to, but they would get Texas BBQ’d. I would pick Southern to pimp slap Georgetown at Mumford everyday and twice on Saturday. Let’s let Deion Sanders open up with East Tennessee State in Memorial on ESPN 2 next year so JSU can start the hyped 2021 fall season on the right foot by busting arse. Alcorn would drop no less that 28 on Western Carolina on the road and 42 at home if they dared to call McNair for a game. Alabama A&M would leave Presbyterian with a win. I believe Wagner would fumble and stumble at Alabama State. Although UAPB might struggle a bit, I would still pick them to beat Wagner on the road. Mississippi Valley wouldn’t be traveling back from Eastern Illinois or Valparaiso with the same performance or result we saw when they traveled to North Dakota State.

SWAC programs have to come together to start showing the College Football World that the SWAC can beat down other FCS conferences and programs. We fail in this area badly.
TL;DR

I will say that we tend to look totally unprepared when will play out of conference games. In the past some coaches even echoed that statement. However, I do feel that we now have better coaching overall in the conference. Better scheduling and better recruiting along the offensive and defensive lines could drastically change things. Bad coaching isn't just subjective to the Swac but we do tend to look worse than others when we do it.
Not all of us has better coaching. We've been having this discussion for years about having "better OL, better DL, etc...." for years, but we still ended up where we were. Our coaches just doesn't seem like they know anything about Situational Football. Probably ask a few of them and they would give you the "?" look.

That's been said for a long time but it seems like some of our schools are not looking to schedule OOC games with schools that are on par with our conference for winnable games.

There is a thread made that shows the member schools OOC games made for the future.

Very true, but our reasons for looking poorly prepared is that we fail to scout them like the scout us. There have been plenty of years that G5 FBS programs offer us prostitution checks or when they know that we are replacing a talented QB, totally rebuilding a team, or breaking in a new coach. They scout us, we don’t scout our non conference opponents well for the most part.

Also, we never challenge weaker FCS programs to prove to us just how bad and behind we really are! I am currently encouraging my Grambling State Athletic Administration to make more phone calls to the Big South, Pioneer League, Ohio Valley, and Southern Conferences for home and home agreements. There are plenty of teams in those conference who would get destroyed by the top half of the SWAC. We don’t know this as a conference because we don’t do it. It has gotten to a point where we don’t even believe it because we have settled for the image that PWI’s have issued to us.

You need to tell Coach Prime to invite LIU of the Northeast Conference down to Memorial and see just how horrible SWAC football really is! I would put money on them catching good ole fashion Mississippi Switch off the Tree Beat Down.

Money games help our programs pay a few bills, but we still have to start scheduling at least one of these games every other year to build repair our reputation of being the worst FCS conference in Division I football. Our non-conference FCS record helps that claim. We can easily do better.

If programs like Morehead State, Valparaiso and Mercer, (just to name a few), can schedule basketball games against the SWAC, they can do the same in football. If the turn into a conference contender of top 10 FCS Football Program, they wouldn’t mind calling up a non top 3 SWAC program for a game. That’s the way these PWI FCS programs play the conference reputation game. The SWAC needs to come together and expose this instead of agree to these basketball and baseball games on their terms.

This is touchy for me. Thinking of PV losing to shsu, nicholls st, and rice chaffes my ass. Thinking of Alcorn St and SU losing to mcneese st puts 93 octane gas on my chaffed ass.

Thinking of SWAC schools losing OOC to any school lights the match to the 93 octane on my chaffed ass.

I believe AD(s)/adminstrations in the SWAC for the most part are not looking at who would we be competitive with but rather how much revenue can be generated. Unless our AD(s)/administrations change their mindset, it will be more of the same. Unless you are aware of how much pressure is put on them (if any) to generate a certain amount of revenue, this will continue to be an enigma, assuming they all have good sense.

I think we've gotten better OOC as far as actually caring but now we have to actually start WINNING some of these games. We should have walked out of Lamar with a win over a ranked school but our pass defense got exposed at the end of that game. Definitely should have beat TSU in Nashville and BCU was ripe for a L but we didnt have a QB

Was really looking forward to taking on Nicholls and SHSU but SFA will have to do in the fall (might have one more non-HBCU depending on what that AD wanna do)

If programs like Morehead State, Valparaiso and Mercer, (just to name a few), can schedule basketball games against the SWAC, they can do the same in football. If the turn into a conference contender of top 10 FCS Football Program, they wouldn’t mind calling up a non top 3 SWAC program for a game. That’s the way these PWI FCS programs play the conference reputation game. The SWAC needs to come together and expose this instead of agree to these basketball and baseball games on their terms.

Morehead State and Valparaiso are members of the NON SCHOLARSHIP Pioneer League.

Yes, it is a FCS league but the Pioneer is typically one step ahead of or behind the SWAC in the rankings.

Outside of San Diego who has dominated the league, there’s not much in that conference that would catch the eyes of the FCS world.

Beating those schools would do nothing for the league and losing would be significant killers to efforts to gain on reputation.

I believe AD(s) in the SWAC for the most part are not looking at who would we be competitive with but rather how much revenue can be generated. Unless our AD(s) change their mindset, it will be more of the same. Unless you are aware of how much pressure is put on them (if any) to generate a certain amount of revenue, this will continue to be an enigma, assuming they all have good sense.

Welcome to our world in Itta Bena smh.

As I have stated before, our men's basketball team have had only 2 OOC matchups at home since we opened up the New Gym in 2017 (and only 1 counted). And she would definitely do the football team the same way if we had the scholarships. You've got alums that have suggested things as alternatives to pimping our teams out like that but she ain't listening (and that includes people that I personally know who have dropped nice money into Valley athletics). Until the SWAC commish puts it in stone, it will continue

This is touchy for me. Thinking of PV losing to shsu, nicholls st, and rice chaffes my ass. Thinking of Alcorn St and SU losing to mcneese st puts 93 octane gas on my chaffed ass.

Thinking of SWAC schools losing OOC to any school lights the match to the 93 octane on my chaffed ass.

I hear you, but the point I am trying to make is better scheduling. All of those FCS teams in those years that they beat SWAC opponents were predicted to be top tier conference teams that season(s). Rice almost loss to PV, and they are a FBS. That game was smart scheduling by PV. Sam Houston was ranked in the FCS poll the year PV almost beat them. Lesser Southland teams would have loss to all of those SWAC teams above. Houston Baptist would have been baptized by PV had they played that year. Yes, McNeese State beat Southern, but I doubt Lamar and Stephen F Austin would have that year. You never know. We just have to work on giving ourselves better shots at picking up wins over other FCS opponents. At this point, we are all in this together to help the name of the conference. We have have turned into the joke of the FCS world due to poor scheduling and not competing against all levels of FCS non conference opponents. We don’t need to be scheduling top 3 FCS Conferences teams only. If North Dakota State can bring our bottom bleeder MVSU and beat them down 72-7, than it’s ok for Alcorn to bring Valparaiso to Lorman and destroy them for lunch.

Grambling has beaten Nicholls St and Northwestern State in the modern era of FCS football, so it can definitely be done more often if more series are made. Scouting reports have to be completed.

Ive actually been wondering why we (JSU) haven’t scheduled many SLC or any other FCS teams for the matter. I think now would be the perfect time for us to start. We should also look into more lower tier FBS too besides ULM who we have scheduled for the fall

If North Dakota State can bring our bottom bleeder MVSU and beat them down 72-7, than it’s ok for Alcorn to bring Valparaiso to Lorman and destroy them for lunch.

Alcorn ain't paying Valpo to come and catch an L. That's the difference

Plus, as previously mentioned, too many of our ADs view football and basketball as revenue generators and not being competitive and raising your profile that way which will bring in consistent donations. Plus we have to address the elephant in the room being how not all of the money goes to athletics

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Morehead State and Valparaiso are members of the NON SCHOLARSHIP Pioneer League.

Yes, it is a FCS league but the Pioneer is typically one step ahead of or behind the SWAC in the rankings.

Outside of San Diego who has dominated the league, there’s not much in that conference that would catch the eyes of the FCS world.

Beating those schools would do nothing for the league and losing would be significant killers to efforts to gain on reputation.

Your post is exactly why this needs to happen. FCS Powerhouse North Dakota State, (who plays in the number ranked FCS conference MVC), destroying our very own MVSU 72-7 does nothing for them but give them a win over the second to last rajkedSWAC conference and amazing stats. So what if Valpo is a Pioneer League program? They are still a beatable FCS opponents for anyone in the SWAC.

Beating VMI, Valpo, Georgetown, Morehead State doesn’t more for our conference than destroying teams like Lane, Edward Waters, Concordia. VLU, Faith or Langston. They are non SWAC FCS wins and help establish a better W/L record vs other FCS conferences. They would make it clear that the SWAC is far ahead of their league. It’s time to come together and say “F this one step ahead or behind us BS” from their conference. We need to schedule them and beat them down.

It’s time to challenge the Patriot League and Northern Conference to separate ourselves from fighting for last place with the Pioneer League. Losses wouldn’t hurt us when we are already fighting for last place every year with the Pioneer League. I do not believe that all of those feather fisted programs in the FCS Ranks can beat SWAC programs in a fist fight. There are average to bottom barrel FCS programs in all of those conferences that can be beaten by SWAC programs.

Alcorn ain't paying Valpo to come and catch an L. That's the difference

Plus, as previously mentioned, too many of our ADs view football and basketball as revenue generators and not being competitive and raising your profile that way which will bring in consistent donations. Plus we have to address the elephant in the room being how not all of the money goes to athletics

Good points. However, Alcorn has proven that they will make trips. I don’t think the Braves would mind going up there and destroying them.

SWAC programs can take road trips to FCS programs that we can beat. We need to see more of it.

Very true, but our reasons for looking poorly prepared is that we fail to scout them like the scout us. There have been plenty of years that G5 FBS programs offer us prostitution checks or when they know that we are replacing a talented QB, totally rebuilding a team, or breaking in a new coach. They scout us, we don’t scout our non conference opponents well for the most part.

Oh my!!!!!!!

Ive actually been wondering why we (JSU) haven’t scheduled many SLC or any other FCS teams for the matter. I think now would be the perfect time for us to start. We should also look into more lower tier FBS too besides ULM who we have scheduled for the fall

Jsu has always wanted to continue the 9 game mandate which would only make them look for 1 game to schedule since their 1 other game was always against TnSt. Even during the previous 7 game mandate they would always schedule a conference school as a OOC game. Now with the new 8 game conference schedule they would have the opportunity to schedule a additional 2 OOC games to go with TnSt. That gives them the chance for 1 money game and another OOC game against a equal or lower tier FCS opponent. We'll see what they do as they haven't scheduled any one yet in the near furute by looking at the Future Schedules already listed.

Jsu has always wanted to continue the 9 game mandate which would only make them look for 1 game to schedule since their 1 other game was always against TnSt. Even during the previous 7 game mandate they would always schedule a conference school as a OOC game. Now with the new 8 game conference schedule they would have the opportunity to schedule a additional 2 OOC games to go with TnSt. That gives them the chance for 1 money game and another OOC game against a equal or lower tier FCS opponent. We'll see what they do as they haven't scheduled any one yet in the near furute by looking at the Future Schedules already listed.

Who from JSU always wanted a 9 game mandate and what does that have to do with us not scheduling more FCS OOC games? If I remember correctly, the only conference schools we scheduled for OOC were Gram & su whom shouldn’t fall off our schedule, conference game or not.

Back