Non-Conference FCS Scheduling from the SWAC!

Great topic. Colgate is a pretty good FCS program btw. But it's plenty of teams that the SWAC could schedule in home and home games and dominate. And it saves u the money u pay to D2 schools

Great topic. Colgate is a pretty good FCS program btw. But it's plenty of teams that the SWAC could schedule in home and home games and dominate. And it saves u the money u pay to D2 schools
Yup, Colgate is a solid FCS program. There are a few HBCU’s that I would pick to beat them. I would like to see the both HBCU conferences scheduling more of these games instead of always facing a top 3 conference team. Even if it takes a road trip, HBCUs needs to get these wins.

Who from JSU always wanted a 9 game mandate and what does that have to do with us not scheduling more FCS OOC games? If I remember correctly, the only conference schools we scheduled for OOC were Gram & su whom shouldn’t fall off our schedule, conference game or not.
He is talking about waaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day when Hughes got screwed out of the SCG in 2000 and 2002 because we played and lost to GSU despite dragging AAMU who represented both years. Hughes felt the system wasnt fair and that system got him fired. He was the only advocate. Was he right? Fiyah doesnt care.

He is talking about waaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day when Hughes got screwed out of the SCG in 2000 and 2002 because we played and lost to GSU despite dragging AAMU who represented both years. Hughes felt the system wasnt fair and that system got him fired. He was the only advocate. Was he right? Fiyah doesnt care.

So he holding on to something from 20 years ago? Day by day I find out something new that’s wrong with these folks

There are plenty of beatable fcs teams right next door in the Southland that SWAC schools can take advantage of. In the last 10 years PV has beaten two of them and was competitive against the others. It came down to coaching and special teams.

And the OVC (not including Tennessee State). I'll use Valley as an example. We'll skip over Tennessee Tech, UT-Martin or even a UNA for a NDSU, JSU or Montana. Now do I think we can be more competitive with a SHSU or Nicholls now compared to 2018 with Dancy in his 3rd year? Yes but we (SWAC) don't schedule according to the coaching staff like other (PWI) schools do. You don't throw your 1st year coach into the frying pan with North Dakota and JSU for paying checks. Bethune in 2019 was our only non-Homecoming OOC opponent in forever.

This is why I have said Valley needs to schedule 4 SIAC teams for OOC.

I don’t know about that 😂. That’s a bit too extreme.

I would love to see Valley with 4 non conference games. I am on the outside looking it at Valley, but I would love to see there schedule look something like this:

Week 1 at Big South/Southern Conference (A program with a similar record)
Week 2 vs SIAC
(A middle of the pack program)
Week 3 at Sun Belt/C-USA/MWC
(A rebuilding FBS paying for wins.)
HC vs NAIA
(Hand picked Homecoming Win)

I don’t believe that’s it’s impossible for Valley to be 3-1 outside of the SWAC with that schedule. Also, finding a way to win 3 SWAC games in a 6 win season isn’t impossible if they scheduled accordingly as well.

And the OVC (not including Tennessee State). I'll use Valley as an example. We'll skip over Tennessee Tech, UT-Martin or even a UNA for a NDSU, JSU or Montana. Now do I think we can be more competitive with a SHSU or Nicholls now compared to 2018 with Dancy in his 3rd year? Yes but we (SWAC) don't schedule according to the coaching staff like other (PWI) schools do. You don't throw your 1st year coach into the frying pan with North Dakota and JSU for paying checks. Bethune in 2019 was our only non-Homecoming OOC opponent in forever.
Man, I hated the fact that y’all signed for that NDSU game. Indiana State, Missouri State, or a Southern Illinois game would have been better. They are all in the same conference, and not powerhouses. It’s like a rebuilding team traveling to play Alabama instead of Vanderbilt.

I refuse to believe that Valley would have lost those 3 teams 72-7.

I don’t know about that . That’s a bit too extreme.

I would love to see Valley with 4 non conference games. I am on the outside looking it at Valley, but I would love to see there schedule look something like this:

This is not a 12 game season, so they can only schedule 3 OOC games and not 4. Swac conference is now 8 games.

I think we've gotten better OOC as far as actually caring but now we have to actually start WINNING some of these games. We should have walked out of Lamar with a win over a ranked school but our pass defense got exposed at the end of that game. Definitely should have beat TSU in Nashville and BCU was ripe for a L but we didnt have a QB

Was really looking forward to taking on Nicholls and SHSU but SFA will have to do in the fall (might have one more non-HBCU depending on what that AD wanna do)
Dream on. Your squad struggled with BCU and good amount of its starters not even playing.

I wanted to open a comment to my brutha @Blacknbengal in the closed Bama St-SU game thread in response to a comment he made about what’s been accepted in the SWAC, and how we have been accustomed to beating ourselves. I want to hear more opinions.

Response:
We get caught up into only seeing our own flaws sometimes due to our great historical history and former great expectations. There are plenty of G5 FBS programs that beat themselves yearly and showcase poor play. Also, there are a shhht load of garbage PWI FCS programs out there that are accustomed to beatings themselves on top of playing sloppy on Saturdays. The major problem with the SWAC is that we are too lazy to schedule smart vs beatable FCS programs and expose them. On top of that, we see more press than them, so it’s easier to bash our own sloppiness. Weak PWI FCS fans join the FBS world of bashing HBCU Football to keep their “Pretty Little Campus in the Woods” athletic program quiet.

If SWAC teams scheduled more home & home series vs teams like Colgate, we would see more positive days from our conference and press. Instead, we wait on FBS prostitution checks, and scheduling poorly vs FCS programs that are in the top 4 of their conference.

The G-Men of Grambling State would beat the hell out of Morehead State on the road or in Robinson Stadium. You let Missouri State go to PVAMU if they wanted to, but they would get Texas BBQ’d. I would pick Southern to pimp slap Georgetown at Mumford everyday and twice on Saturday. Let’s let Deion Sanders open up with East Tennessee State in Memorial on ESPN 2 next year so JSU can start the hyped 2021 fall season on the right foot by busting arse. Alcorn would drop no less that 28 on Western Carolina on the road and 42 at home if they dared to call McNair for a game. Alabama A&M would leave Presbyterian with a win. I believe Wagner would fumble and stumble at Alabama State. Although UAPB might struggle a bit, I would still pick them to beat Wagner on the road. Mississippi Valley wouldn’t be traveling back from Eastern Illinois or Valparaiso with the same performance or result we saw when they traveled to North Dakota State.

SWAC programs have to come together to start showing the College Football World that the SWAC can beat down other FCS conferences and programs. We fail in this area badly.
BCU steps in with the most OOC wins in the conference against FCS or higher competition in the past decade.

Dream on. Your squad struggled with BCU and good amount of its starters not even playing.

And here you go with that nonsense again already. You know we stream all our home games (unlike BCU) so people can go and check for themselves about your non-throwing QB being kept in check. I guess it was the same thing in 2018 as well. I can already see you wont last long around here especially when BCU wins 3-4 games in the fall and you will "spend more time with the family"

And here you go with that nonsense again already. You know we stream all our home games (unlike BCU) so people can go and check for themselves about your non-throwing QB being kept in check. I guess it was the same thing in 2018 as well. I can already see you wont last long around here especially when BCU wins 3-4 games in the fall and you will "spend more time with the family"
Truth hurts i guess. Watch the 19 game you can really tell a difference between BCU and valley in terms of flat out talent even with BCU running a vanilla offense.

Let me guess coulda woulda shoulda equals something to brag about in the big city of itta bena?

BCU steps in with the most OOC wins in the conference against FCS or higher competition in the past decade.

Well, with BCU in the SWAC now, it’s true. In fact, the Wildcats bring 4 consecutive wins vs a C-USA opponent in FIU. Hopefully, that streak keeps going.

Nice. Call up Missouri State or Mercer for a SWAC Beatdown.
OK well 3 SIAC. Its not like the SIAC is full of punks! There are some schools who would give Valley a run.

Morehouse
Kentucky State
Miles

would be 3 good OOC teams for Valley.
Give your program a CHANCE to get some wins. Build some confidence and rebuild that program.
As for a P5, I dont think Valley typically offers enough scholarships to play a P5 and let it count toward a bowl game eligible win.

Play some games like that and they you have teams like UAPB, TxSo, PV and Alabama State that give them a chance to get a winning season every year.

Back